Loss of a Literary Legend, 10 Favorite Black-owned Bookstores, Book Reviews, and More - 11/12/2019

AALBC-Ad

An inspiring and illuminating guide to a journey of self-discovery that will help you turn shame into self-acceptance, self-rejection into self-love, blame into freedom, and old hurt into power. Wise and powerful, The Little Book of Big Lies will completely change how you think and live.

ernest-gaines-150

Author Ernest J. Gaines died in his sleep of cardiac arrest at his home in Oscar, Louisiana November 5. He was 86 years old.

Gaines wrote one of my favorite books, A Lesson Before Dying. The novel, one of the most popular and critically acclaimed books on AALBC, tells a story that reveals the power of love expressed through teaching, when wisdom is related not just information. Gaines was probably best known for his novel The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman the fictionalized story of a woman who lived long enough to have experienced both the horrors of enslavement and the pride of the Civil Rights Movement.

Gaines’ passing signals the lost of storytellers old enough to have have known formerly enslaved citizens of America, and with his transition we lose an important window into our past. Fortunately Gaines’ literary legacy will remain with us — all we have to do is read.

lot

2019 Ernest J. Gaines Award for Literary Excellence

Now in its 13th year, the Gaines Award honors rising African-American authors, while paying tribute to Gaines, a literary legend who grew up in Louisiana’s Pointe Coupee Parish.

Houston author Bryan Washington’s debut novel, Lot, has won the 2019 Ernest J. Gaines Award for Literary Excellence. Lot is a collection of short stories set in various Houston communities, but primarily in the East End, where Washington was raised.

black-owned-book-stores-news
marcus-books-150

My 10 Favorite Black Owned Bookstores

I’ve visited a wide variety of bookstores across the country. Whenever I visit a new city I try to visit an indie bookstore. I’m sharing my 10 favorite Black-owned bookstores in the United States. Take it for granted that the owners and staff are knowledgeable about Black books and are driven to serve Black people by exposing them to books they need to read and will enjoy.

I’ve visited each of these stores and have learned something important or enjoyed a wonderful event at all of them. When you visit, you’re virtually guaranteed to discover a great read — even as a bookseller — I always do. Check out the my list ▶
— AALBC Founder and Webmaster, Troy Johnson

we-cast

We Cast a Shadow: A Novel by Maurice Carlos Ruffin

The AALBC Book Club Selection for November

In Maurice Carlos Ruffin’s first novel, We Cast a Shadow, the reader meets a complex and unnamed protagonist. The main character of this futuristic novel is an educated attorney who is “woke” to the restraints of American racism, but despite his tuned-in Black consciousness, he believes the capitalist arena is the best choice for any American. And for the majority of his life, he struggles to become a successful Black man in that environment. Read More ►

syncope

Syncope by Asiya Wadud

As a third-grade poet teacher, an author, and as a leader for an English conversation group for immigrants, Wadud is involved with her community. She is also a finalist for the Hurston/Wright Legacy Award in Poetry. Her work centers around immigrants and refugees, Syncope was far from surprising. In fact, it was harrowing, chilling, above all, it was haunting. As a collection of poems eulogizing the events of the “Left-to-Die” incident in 2011, it gives voices to those who died, provides power to silence, gives honor and respect to the disrespected — to let them know they will not be forgotten. Read More ►

the-prime

The Prime Anniversary by Jay Wright

Jay Wright’s anthology of poems have been, by far, the most challenging poems of all to read as a creative intellectual he merges African, Mexican, Spanish, and Navajo cultures in his poems with mathematical theories. His poems examine harmony in an arithmetical lens and go back pre-Socrates to analyze thoughts in verse.

Wright references many psychiatrists, poets, mathematicians, and other intellectuals in The Prime Anniversary, adding to its complexity and its depth. In one poem, he references about three different figures: a philosopher, an author, and an adventurer. Read More ►

Adding Bookstore or Event Information on AALBC

AALBC is a massive website. We are not just a web based bookseller. We host perhaps the most comprehensive list of Black authors and their books. We also provide a great deal of related information including; the most complete and updated list of Book Festivals and Fairs across the United States and many foreign countries; Black-owned Bookstores; and more ►

Here are links to pages where you may share information about Book Festivals and Fairs or Black-Owned Bookstores we may have missed

troy2019

Dear Reader,

Occasionally someone will ask, why do I invest so much effort in promoting other booksellers? The question, while well intentioned, I’m assumes a competitive mindset I don’t have. There are just so many great books out there today 20 bookseller can’t share them all.

This is not to suggest that I’m naïve about the marketplace (I hold an MBA). My “competitors” are not other booksellers — these folks share my passion of uplifting our people through our stories and make me better. The business that pose a real existential threat to AALBC are a couple of massive corporations with seemingly infinite resources.

After 22 years of selling books on the web, I know one thing for sure Reader, you are my best offense against these massive corporations. AALBC survives because of your patronage and support. So continue to buy your books from us. More sales mean lower prices over the long term. We are already offering free shipping on orders over $40 and only have to collect sales tax in Florida.

If you have not done so already, please consider paying for your AALBC eNewsletter, at a level which make sense for you, and share our content with others!

Peace and Love,
Troy Johnson
Founder & Webmaster, AALBC.com

news-letter-banner

Consider sponsoring our eNewsletter or a dedicated mailing.
★ AALBC.com eNewsletter – November 12, 2019 - Issue #281