The future of paper books

I buy paper books. I know many who do. But I think paper based books industry will not include retail sales. I think the future of paper based books is in libraries, or with specific communities  with publications that cater to them. Yes, I know examples exists of fiction/magazines/newspapers/perodicals that statistically show financial growth or at least stability. But overall I think the paper based book industry while it will grow will not grow in the direct sales way. Whereas the same books in ebook or audiobook, will grow. 

So thoughts for all the authors /artists in this group 

THE ARTICLE

https://aalbc.com/tc/profile/6477-richardmurray/?status=1822&type=status

A discussion on Ebony MAgazine

AALBC Author series idea for authors in this community

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, richardmurray said:

think the paper based book industry while it will grow will not grow in the direct sales way. Whereas the same books in ebook or audiobook, will grow. 

2021 - Print book retail sales increased but publisher’s weekly also reports people are also reading/listening to digital books.  digital content sales increased when bookstores were on lockdown but once they opened again digital returned to the previous years’ rate. [Forbes  “Sales are up nearly 9% for Print Books - But who’s reading them” Jan 7, 2022 and Statista] 

And people are buying print books based on digital promotion.  So one thing that remain constant is book marketing gets folks to buy print books.  

But like you, I’ll also share my habits. In 2021,  I purchased about 8 books. I bought 3 of one title through am*zon unfortunately. My friend published exclusively on am*zon so I couldn’t get it through any other seller.  I  bought 3 hardcovers through Penguin Random House 2 hardcover backlist through abe books.  I only started to read one of the books I purchased last year.  I read everyday but I read more digital content than I read print books.  It appears my habits reflect the statistics.  🙃

• Like 1

@Mel Hopkins great point, exactly, promotion always count, thus my aalbc author series idea. maybe I will go on your lulu, to start this thing rolling with you. IF you are interested. 

I only bought one book through am*zon, a cool writer, an efriend, recently spirit flew away so I bought his book, i will do reading of his work for free. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richardmurray said:

maybe I will go on your lulu, to start this thing rolling with you. 

What do you mean, "go on your lulu, to start this thing rolling with you." 

I did publish my first book and an updated short story via lulu.com [ https://www.lulu.com/spotlight/melhopkins ]. 

I'm looking for content to post on readingblack.com  Technology and I think you've seen my blog on here marketing is a four-letter word  I also post on my portfolio website, melhopkins.com occasionally but I'm not writing a novel or even nonfiction at this time. 

• Like 1