Photo

Which are Your Favorite Black Owned Bookstores?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Troy

Troy

Platinum Level Poster

• Administrators
  • 2787 posts
  • LocationHarlem, USA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

Which are your favorite Black owned bookstores? I found a way to sell books which drives sales to an individual independent bookstore. Since I can only use one store at a time I wanted to use a store that I may not be personally familiar with, but does a great job, and can use the additional support.

Perhaps you can find a store you like on my bookstore database: http://aalbc.com/wri...bookstores.html
Founder & Webmaster of AALBC.com

#2 Cynique

Cynique

"Cyniquian" Level Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1978 posts
  • LocationThe great prairie state of Illinois

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

Afri-Ware in Oak Park, IL. appears on your list. This is where my book club holds its meetings and I know the owner who is a very dedicated to keeping this venue alive. She'd be a good candidate for your project.

#3 CD Burns

CD Burns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

Urban Expressions Bookstore in Memphis, TN. Recently consolidated their two locations into one location at the Southland Mall.

#4 Milton

Milton

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

Nubian Bookstore, Morrow, GA. Marcus, the owner is cool and very supportive of local writers.

#5 HICKSON

HICKSON

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationWORLDWIDE

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

http://aalbc.com/tc/...tour-3-revised/

MUCH LOVE TO THE REMAINING BLACK BOOKSTORES, BUT SHOUT OUT TO THE LITERARY JOINT! ALL 3 LOCATIONS:

3383 DONNELL DRIVE, FORESTVILLE, MD (FORESTVILLE MALL)

6901 SECURITY SQUARE BLVD, WINDSOR MILL, MD (SECURITY SQUARE MALL)

3500 EAST WEST HIGHWAY, HYATTSVILLE, MD (PRINCE'S GEORGE PLAZA MALL)

I'VE SOLD THOUSANDS OF BOOKS THERE SINCE FIRST VISITING THEM IN MARCH 2010!

HTTP://GHETTOHEAT.COM

@HICKSONHOTNESS

@GHETTOHEAT

#6 niaknows

niaknows

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

@Hickson ~ do you know if the Pyramid Bookstore still has a location in Mt. Rainier, Md.? Hodari Ali, sadly, passed away last year. He started with one store on Ga. Avenue and was a true pioneer in the black book selling business. By the early 90s there were 5 locations in the DMV, all of which i am grateful to have managed at one time or another, and 1 in California. I left D.C. in 95 and i'm wondering if his wonderful legacy continues after his death.

#7 HICKSON

HICKSON

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationWORLDWIDE

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

PEACE & GHETTOHEAT®, NIA! UNFORTUNATELY THAT STORE DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE IN THAT AREA, TO MY KNOWLEDGE. THE LITERARY JOINT BOOKSTORE IS WHERE YOU GO FOR BOOKS, AND ON THE STREETS: DC BOOKDIVA! I DON'T DEAL WITH ANYONE ELSE IN THAT AREA DIRECTLY BUT THOSE TWO ENTITIES: YET OTHER STORES IN SURROUNDING AREAS OF DMV, NATIONWIDE, AND INTERNATIONALLY CAN OBTAIN GHETTOHEAT® BOOKS FROM ALL REPUTABLE DISTRIBUTORS SUCH AS NBN, INGRAM, BAKER & TAYLOR AND SO ON, AND FOR DIRECT SALES: AT GHETTOHEAT®! VERY SOON, GHETTOHEAT® BOOKS WILL BE SOLD EXCLUSIVELY AT GHETTOHEAT®, AT REAL INDUSTRY-STANDARD PRICES: DUE TO THE POWERS THAT BE, AND OTHERS IN THE INDUSTRY SUCH AS WRITERS, PUBLISHERS, ETC., SELLING BOOKS AT THE PRICE OF A BAG OF SALT & VINEGAR POTATO CHIPS....

NIA, VISIT HTTP://GHETTOHEAT.COM: WEBSITE WILL BE UPDATED BEFORE THE 10-YEAR ANNIVERSARY, I'VE MADE CHANGES, CHANGE IS GOOD--CHANGE IS FOR THE BE$T!

#BACKTOBASICS #BLACKWALLSTREET #GHETTOHEAT!

#8 Troy

Troy

Platinum Level Poster

• Administrators
  • 2787 posts
  • LocationHarlem, USA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the bookstore info y'all I made an appeals for information else where but got nothing.

Most surprisingly was the lack of response from people in the industry -- even when pressed.

I had all of these stores in my database except for Urban Expressions, which I added: http://aalbc.it/uebooks I could not find any information, online, about ownership or how long the store was in business. I'll follow up with a phone call in the near future.

Thanks everyone.

#9 Milton

Milton

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

That's sad, Troy. I got the same response when I put a call out a few years ago among my fellow writers. I'm grateful for your list and plan to use it heavily during my upcoming marketing campaign. I think many black writers, especially black speculative fiction writers, are missing an opportunity to partner with black bookstores to becoming another unique revenue source. I hope I can inspire by example.

#10 Nah'Sun

Nah'Sun

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationThe Universe

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

Black and Nobel

North Philiadelphia

Broad and Erie

http://blackandnobel.com/
Check out the Greatest Show on Earth @ www.nahsunblaze.com

It's a vacation for a mental orgasm

#11 HICKSON

HICKSON

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationWORLDWIDE

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

SOLD 78 #GHETTOHEAT BOOKS THIS PAST WEEKEND AT TLJ BOOKSTORE! #BLACKOWNED #BLACKDOLLARS #BLACKWALLSTREET HTTP://TLJBOOKSTORE.COM

#12 Troy

Troy

Platinum Level Poster

• Administrators
  • 2787 posts
  • LocationHarlem, USA

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

Three location in the database: http://www.huria.org...?store_name=TLJ

Congrats on the sales!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Mission
To promote the diverse spectrum of literature written for, or about, people of African descent by helping readers find the books and authors they will enjoy.  We accomplish our goals through AALBC.com, our related platforms, and strategic partnerships.
Main Sections
Profiled Authors
Book Lists
Book Reviews
Writers’ Resources
Movie Reviews
Celebrity Interviews
Events
Discussion Forums
Current eNewsletter
Fun Stuff
Founder’s Blog
About Us
Started in 1997, AALBC.com (African American Literature Book Club) is the largest, most frequently visited web site of its kind. Learn more.

About Our Webmaster & Founder
Affiliated Websites
Huria Search
Edit 1st
Domains for Authors
ABLE
Power List Bestsellers
AALBC.com's Book Club Archive
Customer Service
About AALBC.com
Subscribe
Marketing Kit