Publishing University: The Legends of Independent Black Publishing

The Legends of Independent Black Publishing

(Manhattan Beach, CA – January 18, 2023) – At this year’s Independent Book Publishers Association’s annual conference, IBPA Publishing University, the conference will explore the theme of what it means to “Navigate, Innovate, Elevate” within the independent book publishing industry. The theme is a meaningful reference to IBPA’s 40th anniversary, which the association is celebrating in 2023, and its role in the past four decades advocating for, and helping independent book publishers to build long term, successful businesses.

With this theme in mind, IBPA is excited to announce that one of the three keynote presentations at the conference taking place May 4-6 in San Diego, CA, will feature a panel of highly respected industry leaders whose publishing businesses have spanned decades and have overcome every type of challenges along the way.

The keynote panel “Legends of Black Independent Publishing: Learning from the Best” will invite onto the stage: Dr. Haki Madhubuti, founder of Third World Press Foundation; W. Paul Coates, founder of Black Classic Press; Kassahun Checole, founder of Africa World Press and The Red Sea Press; and Wade Hudson and Cheryl Hudson, founders of Just Us Books. The panel will be moderated by Troy Johnson, founder of the African American Literature Book Club (AALBC.com).

With a combined industry experience of 150+ years, these publishers will answer the question, “What do you do when your community is under-served, under-represented, and under-published?” You serve, represent, and publish!

The complete conference agenda can be viewed at https://www.publishinguniversity.org/schedule. In addition, registration is now open for IBPA Publishing University 

###

To moderate this panel is truly an honor.  When I first sat down to start AALBC, in 1997, all of these businesses were firmly established, but I did not know anything about them.  I soon learned about all of them and their significant impact on Black books and by extension our culture. 

If you are a book publisher, you really need to attend IBPA Publishing University  It is not often you'll get these icons in the same room.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 2/1/2023 at 11:50 AM, Troy said:

With this theme in mind, IBPA is excited to announce that one of the three keynote presentations at the conference taking place May 4-6 in San Diego, CA, will feature a panel of highly respected industry leaders whose publishing businesses have spanned decades and have overcome every type of challenges along the way.

Oh Wow! Congrats @Troy!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/1/2023 at 6:50 PM, Troy said:

The Legends of Independent Black Publishing

(Manhattan Beach, CA – January 18, 2023) – At this year’s Independent Book Publishers Association’s annual conference, IBPA Publishing University, the conference will explore the theme of what it means to “Navigate, Innovate, Elevate” within the independent book publishing industry. The theme is a meaningful reference to IBPA’s 40th anniversary, which the association is celebrating in 2023, and its role in the past four decades advocating for, and helping independent book publishers to build long term, successful businesses.

The keynote panel “Legends of Black Independent Publishing: Learning from the Best” will invite onto the stage: Dr. Haki Madhubuti, founder of Third World Press Foundation; W. Paul Coates, founder of Black Classic Press; Kassahun Checole, founder of Africa World Press and The Red Sea Press; besides that I can't help noticing that I usually prefer not to use additional sources, but to make this post I used click for source because I find the idea quite interesting and creative, moreover, considering that it's about black lives matter. and Wade Hudson and Cheryl Hudson, founders of Just Us Books. The panel will be moderated by Troy Johnson, founder of the African American Literature Book Club (AALBC.com).

With a combined industry experience of 150+ years, these publishers will answer the question, “What do you do when your community is under-served, under-represented, and under-published?” You serve, represent, and publish!

The complete conference agenda can be viewed at https://www.publishinguniversity.org/schedule. In addition, registration is now open for IBPA Publishing University 

###

To moderate this panel is truly an honor.  When I first sat down to start AALBC, in 1997, all of these businesses were firmly established, but I did not know anything about them.  I soon learned about all of them and their significant impact on Black books and by extension our culture. 

If you are a book publisher, you really need to attend IBPA Publishing University  It is not often you'll get these icons in the same room.

This is nice, congratulations!