The role of black literature in the 21st century

Before Podcasts, Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and countless other outlets there were Black newspapers, magazines, and books to document our history.

During the early days of segregation, they banned the Chicago Defender in the South! Now they want to whitewash history.

The role of Black literature regardless of format is to preserve our incredible story for future generations. We need to tell the story our way. An African Proverb “Until the lion tells the story, the hunter will always be the hero.”

Blog header.png

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums @Jean2021.  The Florida governor is attempting to leverage the fear and insecurity created by an exploitative system that is weakening the middle class and class and keeping many more in poverty.

I live in Florida, a relatively liberal area, Tampa, but over the past decade everything has gotten more expensive housing, insurance, water, energy, restaurants -- everything!  I have never seen this type of inflation.  

I brought my mom a pack of cigarettes in NYC the other day and it cost me $18!  Take someone to the movies in NYC, get some popcorn and a soda and you are talking 80 bucks. Go to a decent restaurant for dinner meal, order a couple of cocktails, and dessert -- you better have $200!  Hotels in NYC fuhgeddaboudit!  The mayor got rid of Air BnB, so the hotels have taken advantage. 

White folks storming the capital is not surprising at all -- especially when you consider all the misinformation on the web...

• Like 1

@aMhayes I think many black writers have, the problem is getting those black visions of black history into the possession of black youth. I was lucky, my parents made sure I didn't need any white created media. I Didn't and don't need disney/hollywood film studios/tv shows. but most black people growing up have no black artistic cultural base, so it takes college or later for them to actually be exposed to the wide black culture from the british colonies or the usa from them. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2023 at 4:33 AM, aMhayes said:

Before Podcasts, Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and countless other outlets there were Black newspapers, magazines, and books to document our history.

During the early days of segregation, they banned the Chicago Defender in the South! Now they want to whitewash history. 

The role of Black literature regardless of format is to preserve our incredible story for future generations. We need to tell the story our way. An African Proverb “Until the lion tells the story, the hunter will always be the hero.” That topic is very interesting to me, and when some time ago I received a task to write a paper on any issue, I chose this one. I thought that it would be a great idea to write about literature in general, and about Black Literature too, but it's actually harder than I expected. I used the help of https://edubirdie.com/research-papers-writing-services with the first and the most complicated part because it was too hard, and not I'm working on the next one. I also want to read one book and write a review on it, but I don't know if I'll have enough time for it.

Blog header.png

Great statement. The inclusion and recognition of black literature is very important not only for our generation but for the future. There has been a growing awareness of the importance of diversifying literary canons to include voices from different racial and ethnic backgrounds, but I think not enough. For example, in the educational sphere, we still don't have such a diversity and recognition of such literature.

• Like 1