Aaaight, aaaaight, what about THIS one.....lol.

ProfD

sounds like something from the early 1990s

I was kind of thinking the same thing, especially with those kids doing the MC Hammer foot-work, lol.
The girl (I hope.....) rapping reminded me of MC Lyte for some reason.....lol.

But I definitely saw it either in the late (after 1997) 90s and quite possibly the early 2000s.
It was played during a show about the aftermaths of the Eastcoast Westcoast beefs in the United States and it's impact on Canadian youth. 

The real question is what kind of midlife crisis is brotha @Pioneer1 having to revisit these old azz commercials

Come on man.....you know how it is on Youtube.
You look at one video and they start sending you more videos related to the first.....lol.

13 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

The real question is what kind of midlife crisis is brotha @Pioneer1 having to revisit these old azz commercials

Come on man.....you know how it is on Youtube.
You look at one video and they start sending you more videos related to the first.....lol.

Understood.  The algorithm will continue feeding certain content. 

However, it's the initial inquiry into a trip down memory lane that raises a signal. 

No doubt, that as we  get older, there are certain people, places or things, etc., in which we find comfort. 

I'm just wondering what in the name of New Jack Swing has led you to take that stroll.😁😎

ProfD

It initiated from a conversation with an African woman a few weeks ago.
We were talking about Hiphop and it's impact on American culture and I dug up the video as an example of how long Hiphop has been in the "mainstream".

She pointed out the White kids in it.
Something I didn't remember when I first saw it decades ago....lol.

Just like Troy pointed out them doing Pop-lock moves as they were coming up the stairs.
Something that I just enjoyed seeing, but didn't pay too much attention too until he pointed it out.

But to be honest, wasn't Break Dancing somewhat influenced by Popping and Locking?

Troy 

We (Black people) are the most creative race on the planet.
We invented the vast majority of the dance moves not just in the U.S. but around the planet....as well as the Martial Arts.

Years ago when I was a teenager a brother told me we invented Martial Arts and "gave" it to the Asians.
I laughed at him thinking he didn't know what he was he was talking about and was doing a little too much with the Black history.

Now after not just years of experience and personal research but just good old fashioned OBSERVATION......I definitely believe this with little doubt in my mind.

Why?

For the same reason I believe the moves and flips that gymnasts do came from Black people too.

Because our people are so creative that they INVENT things so much they often get tired of a particular thing and move on.....only for others to STEAL it and appropriate it as "their" culture.

Look at the dances, styles of dressing, and DJ'ing at parties that Whites and many Asians engage in today.
All of it came from urban AfroAmericans....who were doing it in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and have moved on with NEW styles.
But White folks will pick up on it and make it a STAPLE in a particular arena.

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Because our people are so creative that they INVENT things so much they often get tired of a particular thing and move on.....only for others to STEAL it and appropriate it as "their" culture.

But White folks will pick up on it and make it a STAPLE in a particular arena.

That's right.

I see you've paid attention to and/or accepted some of what I type.😁

White folks and others will codify some sh8t Black folks created for *fun* and turn it into a commodity for themselves. 😎

• Haha 1

I watched the Little Richard documentary the other night; a fascinating story.

It was interesting to see how rock ‘n’ roll was created, based upon black music. When I was a kid we used to say rock sucks. Little did I know that black folks invented it.

Amazingly, despite all his hits, Richard never won a Grammy I’m not even sure if he was ever nominated. It was a much more racist time. 

It was also interesting to see so many white artists covered Little Richard’s, Music from Pat Boone to Elvis Presley to the Beatles and on and on.

Yep. I've seen the Little Richard documentary too. Knew his story beforehand but the doc was well done. 

Little Richard's influence on the music industry and imagery within it is huge.

Of course, the white media has done everything it could to not give Black folks credit for Rock & Roll.

So many artists and musicians used elements of Little Richard's approach and it's still evident in through present.😎

ProfD

Now what does that say about US?

That we invent so much and then just ABANDON it?

I've known old Black women down South who made such good food.
Didn't even have a recipe book.
Made it from scratch by looking at it and measuring it with intuition.

But when they were asked to write down the recipe or atleast teach it to their daughters...they refused to do so.
Took the recipe to their graves.

For what?

Same with dance moves and other arts.

When I was a kid in school one of the things that bothered me was how PROUD some Black kids were to teach White boys how to dance or how to "mack" on girls.
They wouldn't teach other Black boys what they knew.

If another Black boy was "lame" enough to even ask them how to do a dance or get a honey....they'd CLOWN on him and tell him.

But a White boy?
They'd take him under their wing and show him everything they know.

Troy

Little Richard was not only gay but he was FLAMBOYANTLY gay....lol.

I think THAT....more so than his race...contributed to him not getting the popularity and shine that he deserved.

You put him on live television and there's no telling what he might have said or done.