Quick Question: Could you purchase the last book through an independent seller?

If you couldn't purchase a book through an independent bookseller - what stopped you?

Do you have a strategy for buying from independent booksellers?

How do you purchase digital books if the book is only available digitally? 

SwaDM- July 08, 2023 at 16.29.05-1-ccmonstermashwon reg.jpg

@Mel Hopkins as you can appreciate I’m not the typical Book buyer as I get free books all the time and when I do buy and I can buy them wholesale.

I visit independent bookstores all the time, and I always buy books from them. most recently I’ve visited liberation station bookstore in Raleigh, North Carolina, and purchased the book by a local author.

It’s not just black owned independents that I visit. I find White owned stores to be super engaging. Once they find out I’m a bookseller they will give me a discount which is considered standard practice between Booksellers 44th and 3rd in ATL was kind enough to extend the courtesy.

I have not purchased an e-book in a very long time. I’ve had several e-book readers over the years, but never used them very much. It just seemed like extra baggage when I had a tablet laptop or cell phone with me.

I’ve purchased audiobooks most recently. But in the last several months actually find my time, mostly consumed, listening to podcasts. I’ve been working a lot of hours, and when I do take a break, I travel to see friends and family so when I do have downtime I’m actually too tired to read the next book I’ll read is The Savion Sequence but that is work related as I’ll be helping to proof read it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Troy said:

But in the last several months actually find my time, mostly consumed, listening to podcasts.

Oh snap, your vocation revolves around books but with little time to read!😪

My oldest daughter (millennial) listens to many podcasts (on YouTube). She reviews and negotiates contracts for work, so reading a book is the last thing on her mind.

So maybe my next question in #readingblack will be a survey, "Are you reading?"   If so, what genre? And how are you consuming the material? 

4 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

Oh snap, your vocation revolves around books but with little time to read!😪

I know. it is counterintuitive.

There are many things I like to do but don't do as much as I like.  Hopefully in a year or so I make more time for myself 🙂 

• Like 1