A political nightmare

Here is a report posted on a thread I was participating in on  Facebook. I found it not only interesting but frightening. Check it out

The Hartmann Report

DAILY TAKE
The New "Over the Top" Secret Plan on How Fascists Could Win in 2024
Here’s what I’m hearing Republicans are planning in the event Joe Biden wins re-election & Democrats hold the Senate and take the House this November…

THOM HARTMANN
FEB 26, 2024

Back on March 13, 2020 — almost exactly four years ago — I wrote an article that was published at alternet.org laying out how Republicans were then, ten months before January 6th, planning to partially repeat the debacle of the election of 1876 by having Vice President Pence refuse to certify swing state votes and thus throw the election to the House to keep Trump in office, no matter how the election went.

When I published the article ten months before January 6th, I received concerned and even alarmed communications from several Democratic strategists and a few elected officials who basically said they didn’t think there was any way Trump would try such an audacious move and, if he did, he wouldn’t get away with it.

But I was right and that was exactly what Trump had up his sleeve. We saw it play out on January 6th. The only thing that stopped him was Pence’s unwillingness to go along with stealing an election.

Now I’m hearing a new story from those same GOP insiders (as well as other commentators) about Trump’s schemes for 2024. Here’s what I’m hearing Republicans are planning in the event Joe Biden wins re-election and Democrats hold the Senate and take the House this November:

First, Republicans need to make sure they’re in control of the House of Representatives on January 6th, 2025, when the new president will be certified.

To do that, even though Democrats might have won enough seats to take back the House in the 2024 election, Speaker Johnson will refuse to swear into Congress on January 3rd a handful of those Democrats, claiming there are “irregularities” in their elections that must be first investigated.

Consider that Johnson is still refusing to swear in Tom Suozzi (who recently won George Santos’ old seat), something Johnson apparently did to maintain enough Republican-majority votes to impeach Alejandro Mayorkas. (Johnson says they’ll swear him in this coming Thursday, but nobody’s holding their breath.)

Like Mitch McConnell withholding Merrick Garland’s nomination to the Supreme Court for over a year, withholding certification of a handful of Democrats would be easy, legal, and completely immoral. There’s nothing Democrats can legally do to stop Speaker Johnson from pulling this off: he can postpone swearing a member in for as long as he wants.

That keeps Speaker “MAGA Moscow Mike” Johnson in charge of the House, so they can also refuse to accept the Electoral College certificates of election from a handful of states where they claim there are “problems.”

Keep in mind, Johnson was the guy who organized the wave of 138 House members who voted not to certify Joe Biden’s election in January of 2020. That’s why Trump wanted him as speaker.

Elise Stefanik, the number 3 person in House Republican leadership, has already refused to say whether she’d vote to certify the presidential election results this November.

Others, like Kentucky Republican Congressman Thomas Massie, are repeatedly mentioning their belief that the House gets to decide who’s president, not the people or even the Electoral College. As Massie posted on X:

“Maine, Colorado, and other states that might try to bureaucratically deny ballot access to any Republican nominee should remember the U.S. House of Representatives is the ultimate arbiter of whether to certify electors from those states.”

In response, Elon Musk posted a one-word comment: “Interesting.”

Then, regardless of how many votes Biden won by, electoral or popular, the House simply refuses to certify the electoral college votes of enough states that the minimum of 270 isn’t reached. Under the 12th Amendment, like with the election of 1876, that throws the election to the House, where each state has one vote.

While a majority of Americans live in a state run by Democrats, a majority of the states themselves are run by Republicans. Each state gets one vote for president in the House, and right now 26 state delegations are GOP-controlled, meaning that a majority of the House would simply vote to put Trump back into the White House, 26-23 (Pennsylvania’s delegation is 50/50). All totally legal.

The Putin/Trump caucus in the House — led by Speaker Johnson — has largely given up on democracy when elections don’t give them power. As outrageous as this scenario sounds, they justify it to themselves as being essential to “save America” from “woke” Democrats.

Johnson has repeatedly said he thinks God Himself put Johnson into the speakership to fulfill some great destiny, comparing himself with Moses: stealing a presidential race “for the greater good” almost certainly qualifies as that. And, although Congress in 2022 raised the number of congressional objectors necessary to stop the certification of a presidential vote, Johnson himself was able to round up more than that number in 2020. This is eminently do-able.

Finally, the Supreme Court long ago ruled that they and the entire US court system have no jurisdiction over “political issues” that the Constitution says must be resolved by Congress. This issue of Congress’ certification of electoral college votes certainly qualifies, so, no matter what the courts might want to say or do, there’s probably no legal tool they can use to block a second Trump presidency under these circumstances.

Rightwing billionaires and neofascists within the GOP are salivating at this prospect. Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller must be giddy.

In one fell swoop they’ll “take back” the government, putting an end to that pesky problem of democracy and voters wanting nice things.

President Trump issues a new Schedule F executive order and suddenly 20,000 or so of the top management of every federal agency find themselves out of a job, being replaced by conservative ideologues who are being vetted by Heritage and other conservative think tanks as you’re reading these words.

Once they have control of both the political and the “deep state” or administrative government, these conservatives intend to set about making the changes they’ve been pushing for years:

— End gay marriage and criminalize being trans.
— Outlaw abortion and most forms of birth control.
— End the teaching of Black history.
— Outlaw DEI and affirmative action of any sort.
— Shut down most functions of the EPA so the fossil fuel and chemical industries can do whatever they want to our air and water.
— End enforcement of our anti-monopoly laws.
— Fire thousands of IRS investigators to make America safe for morbidly rich tax cheats.
— Shut down all “green” initiatives and instead “drill, baby drill.”
— Sell off public lands and parks to the highest bidders.
— Privatize Social Security and end traditional Medicare.
— End federal funding for public schools and colleges.
— Outlaw unions.

It’s truly breathtaking. They’re committed to abandoning America’s historic embrace of democracy, the “radical new form of government” that our nation’s Founders brought back into the world after it had vanished for almost 3000 years.

But, as Americans have figured out the GOP’s priorities and are disgusted by their obeisance to great wealth and Vladimir Putin, Republicans have decided that winning free and fair elections is for suckers. Stealing them is so much easier.

I don’t see any legal way such a strategy can be stopped, because it’s all based on “legal” technicalities. Like the legal technicality that George W. Bush and Donald Trump both lost the national popular vote but became president anyway (without significant protest from the American people).

When I wrote that article laying out Trump’s plan to have phony electors, et al, back in 2020, people were upset I was “giving him ideas.” Some may similarly say about this article, “Don’t tell them how to do it!”

But this has already been written about extensively by Newsweek’s editor-at-large Tom Rogers, Mark Medish & Joel McCleary for the Washington Spectator, and covered last Friday night an an opening monologue by Joy Reid. It’s public knowledge, although the media seems unwilling to discuss it.

The best way to prevent this from happening is to widely publicize their scheme so public opinion will become so intense that they fear the consequences.

It’s a thin thread holding our republic together, but at least it’s something.

Pass it along.

The 1st thing that comes to my mind is that if this guy and others can speculate/know about it, Democrats surely know about it as well. 

Yet, Democrats don't appear to be alarmed and they're silent about it.   Maybe they are complicit in letting it go down.  2020 was a test run.

Of course, since I believe both parties are two sides of the same coin, I would not be surprised one way or another. 

The system of racism white supremacy remains the same. 😎

1 hour ago, aka Contrarian said:

@ProfDto me, this is more about fascism than racism. It will victimize anybody who doesn't get with the prpgam. May even reward  boot lickin negroes.. 

Right.  Regardless of the -ism, there will be permanent victims.  Also, there will be those who find a way to thrive and survive as bootlicks, shills and other forms of suck ups.🤣😎

@ProfDdemocrats might be secretly planning a counter defense. Why would they publicize what their planning to do?

What grabs me is that I may be around to witness the fall of the United Stares of America. This country is "a house divided against itself".  Half the nation is no longer enthralled  with democracy which   could be supplanted by a fascistic theocracy, a change that might be preceded by a civil war.  How cool is that?  😳

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aka Contrarian said:

democrats might be secretly planning a counter defense. Why would they publicize what their planning to do?

Right. It would not make sense for the Democrats to show their hand especially if it's strong.

What grabs me is that I may be around to witness the fall of the United Stares of America.

Either way, you can rest  assured that will not happen in your lifetime or mine.🤣

This country is "a house divided against itself". 

It's been on that brink for 8 years and counting. 

Half the nation is no longer enthralled  with democracy which  could be supplanted by a fascistic theocracy, a change that might be preceded by a civil war.  How cool is that?  😳

I'd have my popcorn ready especially if the civil war goes as the late Dick Gregory described it in his wisdom.😁😎

• 2 weeks later...

Who is the Civil War supposed to be against the north v the south, The rich versus the poor, black versus white, Democrats versus Republicans, who is fighting who here?

There is not gonna be a Civil War. Rich people already have everything; why would they jeopardize it with the war here?

8 hours ago, Troy said:

Who is the Civil War supposed to be against...

It would be similar to the insurrection. Started by folks who believe their country is being overrun by others.

8 hours ago, Troy said:

There is not gonna be a Civil War. 

I hope you're right. The country has been divided without all h8ll breaking loose.😎

Sure, @ProfD I can see a bigger version of the January 6th insurrection being attempted.  Sure, individual group of Americans may be nuts but collectively we are not and another January 6th would be squashed -- assuming if it was even able to get started.

The divisions in America exist, but they are not nearly as profound and extreme as the media likes to emphasize. I'd argue that the media, social media in particular instigates, exacerbates, and even initiates divisions.

56 minutes ago, Troy said:

The divisions in America exist, but they are not nearly as profound and extreme as the media likes to emphasize. I'd argue that the media, social media in particular instigates, exacerbates, and even initiates divisions.

Agreed. The media definitely generates a lot of money stirring up divisions and using it as source material.

Hopefully, the media won't get folks agitated to the point of grabbing their guns and causing a nationwide riot.

I remember back in 1908 when Jack Johnson beat up Jim Jeffries to win the heavyweight. It drove white folks crazy.🤣😎

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Yeah, they got a lot of guns but who are the poor whites gonna go after and this so-called Civil War, the rich, Black people, immigrants, Democrats, the LGBTQAI2X+, who?

Whoever they have grievance with would be targets.

Again, I hope it never happens.😎

3 hours ago, Troy said:

Based upon that definition, the Civil War never ended. It just morphed. Instead of Chancellorsville, you have Charlottesville.

The civil war I'm referring to would be mass shootings, riots and insurrections happening in multiple places at the same time.

As long as white folks aren't agitated January 6th style, the status quo will remain.

We'll get the monthly mass shootings. No civil war though.😎

They would probably initiate a low grade long term war that flies just below the radar screen to garner the national emergency that would FORCE the hand of Whites in the government to take some sort of action.

White racists in power sit up and let the common White folks have these automatic weapons that should only be allowed on the battlefield, for a reason.

Unlike most AfroAmericans whom you often have to keep repeating the same shit over and over to and often times they STILL don't "get it".....many White folks in America just automatically "understand" eachother.
A Republican in Alabama takes the ban off of automatic weapons....all the "good ole boys" in Alabama immediately go to the weapons store and buy them up wiping the shelves clean.
They don't need Minister Farrakhan or Al Sharpton to come on and preach to them to tell them what to do....they KNOW what to do.

Trump barely has to say anything racist and automatically most White men know he's for them and rush to his support.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

Unlike most AfroAmericans whom you often have to keep repeating the same shit over and over to and often times they STILL don't "get it".....many White folks in America just automatically "understand" eachother.

Most AfroAmericans aren't hard-headed. If/when *can't get right* n8gglets are encountered, it doesn't make much sense trying to explain anything to them.😁😎

12 hours ago, ProfD said:

We'll get the monthly mass shootings.

As sad as this sounds, that sounds more plausible. The question remains who do you think would be doing all these mass shootings and who would they be shooting ? Would this mayhem be orchestrated? 

i’ll grant you that it will probably be angry white people doing the shooting as they are the ones most likely to engage in this activity. I know they like to shoot up churches, schools, outdoor concerts, gay clubs, movie theaters, essentially wherever people congregate and are not likely to be armed and on alert.

Do you think it would just be a lot more of this type of carnage?

If so, to what end? The civil war had a goal to maintain the institution of slavery. What could possibly be achieved by more frequent mass shootings?

52 minutes ago, Troy said:

As sad as this sounds, that sounds more plausible. The question remains who do you think would be doing all these mass shootings and who would they be shooting ? Would this mayhem be orchestrated? 

i’ll grant you that it will probably be angry white people doing the shooting as they are the ones most likely to engage in this activity. I know they like to shoot up churches, schools, outdoor concerts, gay clubs, movie theaters, essentially wherever people congregate and are not likely to be armed and on alert.

Do you think it would just be a lot more of this type of carnage?

If so, to what end?  What could possibly be achieved by more frequent mass shootings?

Right.

Angry folks stirred up by a zealot or media or some combination of both.

No goal. Just an airing of grievances against others.😎

Wars  have objectives.  If the number of mass school shootings , executed by lone gunman, increase what’s the point? 

When Hamas killed all those people at that concert, that was not war. When the Israelis retaliated by leveling Gaza, and killing everyone in sight, that was war. The goal being destroying Hamas regardless of the collateral damage.

2 hours ago, Troy said:

Wars  have objectives.  If the number of mass school shootings , executed by lone gunman, increase what’s the point? 

Exterminating enemies and instilling fear.

2 hours ago, Troy said:

When Hamas killed all those people at that concert, that was not war. When the Israelis retaliated by leveling Gaza, and killing everyone in sight, that was war. The goal being destroying Hamas regardless of the collateral damage.

Whether intentional or not, Hamas declared war when they killed !,500 Israelis.  Israel is finishing the war Hamas started.😎

• Like 1

ProfD

Most AfroAmericans aren't hard-headed. If/when *can't get right* n8gglets are encountered, it doesn't make much sense trying to explain anything to them

That's why intelligent people shouldn't put their lives on the line fighting for intellectually challenged people who wouldn't appreciate what they were doing for them even if

they understood it.

Troy

What could possibly be achieved by more frequent mass sh--tings?

Maintaining an atmosphere of instability and fear.

When the public is constantly afraid and confused about what's going to happen next, they are easily manipulated.

....and distracted.

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Maintaining an atmosphere of instability and fear.

When the public is constantly afraid and confused about what's going to happen next, they are easily manipulated.

I agree pioneer; that is the situation we are currently in!

Establishing and maintaining chaos and instability has been one of the oldest and most effective tricks that the Racists have used to maintain power in this world.

You can read it in the writing of Machiavelli as one of the strategies of domination.

Ofcourse it doesn't hurt when the people you are trying to subjugate are ALREADY divided and a little dimwitted to begin with.
Makes it just that much easier.  

America  and Russia were involved in "cold" war for 30 years. There  were no battlefields or armed attacks. These 2 superpowers  just rattled sabers and engaged in one-upsmanship confrontations within the confines of the UN. 

The Cuban crises during JFK's presidency was the closest the USA and the Soviet Union ever came to a hot war.  Fortunately a trade off was agreed upon  to avoid a nuclear holocaust. 

In  the present, a war between the blue states and the red states could take place in  Congress  between the Retrumpicans  and Democrats  which would involve each side trying to invoke the Constitution to justify their devious shenanigans, These tactics could result in a permanent  stale mate that would, in turn, lead to the country slowly collapsing. This is  pretty much what happened to the Roman Empire. 

The alternative would be for a few courageous statesmen to step up and put country above party and attempt to initiate compromises.   This would  entail neutralizing those jackals who have taken over the Republican party  along with the "woke" left wing Progressives. A recipe for chaos.  

Time will tell.  Maybe a Phoenix will rise from the ashes.

Meanwhile my knee continues to slowly heal. But like America, I will never be the same.

@aka Contrarian, a comical cold war is the best way to describe the current US political situation.

The absence of a real global threat allows the red and blue teams to have a food fight and pull hair at recess.

Rest assured that if there was a real threat, the clowns would close ranks and get down to business. Class would be back in session.

Right now, poor Americans really should be holding the politicians accountable for doing whatever it takes to make their lives better.

Most of the politicians are either already rich or very well off. They don't give a sh8t about poor people. Just keeping them distracted with BS.😎

53 minutes ago, ProfD said:

@ProfD

@ProfDAmerica is currently involved in a political campaign not a cold war. But a cold civil war becomes a possibility if Trump is put back in office  or refuses to accept  defeat.

If Trump is re-elected, a global threat would ensue because of the effect it would have on  the NATO treaty   and the aid to  Ukraine, both of which he opposes.

The Retrumpican's threat to end Social Security and Medicare and their abortion policies could also trigger domestic upheaval.

Things could  really get hectic if Trump and his Congressional flunkies refuse to certify a Biden win.

It's not about what America is; it's about what America may become.  And what it becomes could involve  an ongoing  hostile conflict: a cold war.

3 hours ago, aka Contrarian said:

@ProfDAmerica is currently involved in a political campaign not a cold war.

Fair enough.

But a cold civil war becomes a possibility if Trump is put back in office  or refuses to accept  defeat.

Democrats aren't nearly as aggressive as the GOP.

If Trump is re-elected, a global threat would ensue because of the effect it would have on  the NATO treaty   and the aid to  Ukraine, both of which he opposes.

The war in Ukraine would be over if Orange Julius (POJ) gets re-elected.

Both China and Russia would rather have POJ back in the seat.

No global threats because strong countries get to make a ton of money on POJ's watch.

The Retrumpican's threat to end Social Security and Medicare and their abortion policies could also trigger domestic upheaval.

Things could  really get hectic if Trump and his Congressional flunkies refuse to certify a Biden win.

It's not about what America is; it's about what America may become.  And what it becomes could involve  an ongoing  hostile conflict: a cold war.

Again, I just don't see the Left rising up January 6th style.

Democrats don't bring smoke. They will sulk away complaining about how they couldn't get anything done because of the GOP obstructionists.

IMO, regardless who wins the election, I believe the status quo will remain unchanged.😎

I used to think the Democrats were just plain old wimps who refused to fight.
About a decade ago I realized that this probably applies to most of the Democrats of COLOR, but the White Democrats PURPOSELY remain passive and submissive to their Republican counterparts.
They are playing "good cop bad cop" and letting the Republicans be the bad abusive cop who does the dirty work of racism why they PRETEND to be helpless.
Their real job (White Democrats) is to spy on the Black politicians and see what they're up to as well as suppress and check their actions and keep them from making REAL change.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/17/1239019225/trump-says-some-migrants-are-not-people-and-warns-of-bloodbath-if-he-loses

Regardless of context, this kind of rhetoric would have gotten a non-white person kicked to the curb immediately.

Yet, former POTUS Orange Julius can spit all types of vitriol and grievance and vengeance while white folks shake their heads and shrug their shoulders. 

Of course, the MAGA crowd and GOP fully support this clown. As @Pioneer1 mentioned above, the left side plays good cop bad cop.

As I often mention here, these political parties are two sides of the same coin. Their primary purpose is maintaining the system of racism white supremacy. Everything else is smoke and mirrors. 😎

ProfD

I STILL blame Obama for Trump being in the WhiteHouse for 4 years and probably getting back into it for 4 more years.

That man committed so many crimes ON TELEVISION live before a studio audience...and the Obama Administration did absolutely nothing.
Didn't even investigate the bum.
Just LET him dance on up into the WhiteHouse and as soon as he got in he turned around and tried to prosecute Obama!

Reminds me of that old African fable about the snake and....something....lol.
Anyway, as soon as he helped the snake out the snake turned around and bit his ass and told him
"You knew I was a snake and how I was.
It's in my nature to bite you fool.".
...lol.

Trump and the other White folks are doing what White folks do....seek power so they can dominate and mistreat.

No surprises there.

I think the only surprises are on the part of the White racists supporting Trump.
I think THEY are surprised that instead of fighting and opposing them....so many Black folks are actually SIDING with them and seeking to JOIN them!

You see more niccaz walking around with red MAGA caps  than a little bit.

A lot depends on whether or not the powers-that-be want America to remain the leader of the free world. National pride and tradition wiil play a part. 

Altho Trump is a meglo-maniac,  he's an isolationist when it comes to global affairs. He just wants to be America's dictator. And if elected, he is salivating over the chance to punish all of his political enemies. 

Then there's the question of preserving democracy. America is not handling well the idea of an all inclusive society that has spawned a cancel culture and political correctness. It is basically a tribal  nation full of bigots and religious hypocrites. Democracy has become expendable. 

Maybe things will sort themselves out and if they do, niggaz will have to settle for maybe moving up a notch on the totem pole. Forget reparations. 🙄 

36 minutes ago, aka Contrarian said:

Maybe things will sort themselves out and if they do, niggaz will have to settle for maybe moving up a notch on the totem pole. Forget reparations. 🙄 

I thought you weren't Black anymore?
You lost all privileges to use  nigga.....uh....the "n" word....lol.

Now you gotta re-apply for it.

8 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I STILL blame Obama for Trump being in the WhiteHouse for 4 years and probably getting back into it for 4 more years.

That's one helluva bridge bro.

POTUS Obama did the job Democrats selected him.to do. No more or less. 

I don't believe POTUS Obama was/is responsible for the rise of Orange Julius.

Altho Trump is a meglo-maniac,  he's an isolationist when it comes to global affairs. He just wants to be America's dictator. And if elected, he is salivating over the chance to punish all of his political enemies.

Yep. POTUS Orange Julius (POJ) is the personification of the extreme right. Almost half the country or more rides with him. 

Black folks don't stand to gain or lose much if he gets re-elected. Maybe he'll pass out more stimulus checks. 😎

I read the AP story posted in the NPR article @Pioneer1 shared, “Trump says some migrants are 'not people', and warns of 'bloodbath' if he loses.”

I mean again, this kind of article will it attract more attention, Trump’s message a very different headline could’ve been crafted, but this headline attracts attention. The media can’t help themselves they play right into trumps game act like this kind of story is gonna hurt him. NPR should know better.

13 hours ago, Troy said:

I read the AP story posted in the NPR article shared, “Trump says some migrants are 'not people', and warns of 'bloodbath' if he loses.”

I mean again, this kind of article will it attract more attention, Trump’s message a very different headline could’ve been crafted, but this headline attracts attention. The media can’t help themselves they play right into trumps game act like this kind of story is gonna hurt him. NPR should know better.

@Troy,I linked the NPR article above. 

The title is misleading because it doesn't provide enough context for what POJ said.

Sensationalism is the name of the game in journalism and media nowadays. 

We definitely have to read beyond the surface and from multiple sources in order to get the real story. 😎

8 hours ago, ProfD said:

Sensationalism is the name of the game in journalism and media nowadays. 

yes, and on some level this was always true. It’s just that the Internet fueled by social media has made the impact of sensationalism much worse.

If you're like me, currently impaired by a short attention span, you want a quick fix - immediate gratification when  catching up on the news. If anything is too long and drawn out I, and a lot of other people, are not motivated to read it. We want instant gratification.  A headline is not a title. It's a concise summary of what the article is about. Editors often make them clever and provocative to catch the reader's eye.

Nowadays I get most of my news from TV. I take it all with a grain of salt.   Most people do. I don't know anybody who totally trusts the media anymore except maybe the Yahoos who watch Fox "News". Bottom line, folks eventually end up gravitating toward the outlets that tell them what they want to hear. Things that reinforce the opinionated conspiracy theories that everyone harbors in an ongoing pursuit of the "truth"  which is simply a word  and,  unless it involves math, is more-or-less a concoction of cherry-picked factoids made up of other words that are just words. 

Yada, yada, yada. I will now step down from my soap box and move on... Good Night. zzzzzz 😑

…stepping up on the virtual soap box.

I agree with most of what @aka Contrarian just wrote, though she  gives people more credit than I think is warranted. I’ve been in conversations with many people who believe the earth is flat, believe Trump would be a good president, and that the earth is 6,000 year old.

It is commonly accepted that the media had a great deal of influence in the rise of Trump. If one accepts this is true and thinks it is a bad thing, The question becomes. What do we do about it?

Personally, I am not sure there is much we can do about the media and how they relate “information.” AI promises To make this cataclysmically worse. It will become impossible to discern truth from lies and fact from fiction.

Those with the most money will control the narrative far more effectively than they do today.

But if people are increasingly lied to, misled, and manipulated, we will still end up doing the bidding of the wealthy and powerful against our own self interest.

As far as presidential elections, I think we should get rid of the electoral college and have ranked choice voting nationally. Once voting history should be available online so that we could confirm accuracy our vote. that would put much more power in the hands of the people and grifters like Trump would not be able to win the office when actually losing the popular vote by millions.

Even the news has become another form of entertainment.  It has morphed beyond keeping us informed into a soap opera/sitcom. 

Personalities get paid millions of dollars to sit behind a desk and spin, er, tell us what's going on in the world. 

The news media brings in subject matter *experts* and victims to add weight to their stories.  Then, there's the opinion side of it too.

I remember when the news was a boring 1 hour watch.  Not anymore.  Grab your popcorn. 🤣😎