Wednesday at 03:38 AM2 days comment_83636 Over the next few days I will pr sent arguments by others that support my statement. Report
Wednesday at 03:59 AM2 days comment_83637 @Delano...looking forward to your thoughts on AI & consciousness.AI has been the subject of a few threads. Would be nice to read another perepective on it.AI has become mainstream news. Folks really perked up when it was reported AI could wipe out humans in a decade or less. That got some attention.Of course, the tech bros have been nonchalant about it. Their objective is to make a sh8t ton of money. D8mn the torpedoes.😁I find it slightly amusing that some people are laser focused on making money even if it kills them & their loved ones."What profit a man to gain the world & lose his soul"...doesn't apply to people who are enriching themselves regardless of collateral damage i.e. who lives or dies.😎 Report
Wednesday at 04:56 AM2 days comment_83638 We tend to anthropomorphize AI, as if “consciousness,” whatever that is, is the end all and be all.I think if AI achieves a state that is equivalent to or superior to what we define as consciousness is a moot point if it takes over the planet, and kills us all and its own self interest.Consciousness is overrated anyway. It’s a story we tell ourselves to make us think we have free will. ;-) Report
Wednesday at 08:04 AM2 days Author comment_83640 4 hours ago, ProfD said:I find it slightly amusing that some people are laser focused on making money even if it kills them & their loved ones."What profit a man to gain the world & lose his soul"Thats been the case for a long time. Especially in regards to pushers.Perhaps they don't have enough soul to lose. Report
Wednesday at 02:51 PM2 days comment_83641 6 hours ago, Delano said:Thats been the case for a long time. Especially in regards to pushers.Perhaps they don't have enough soul to lose.Right. There has always been a whole lotta people in the world who do not believe in such things i.e. religion & spirituality. For those people, their existence is about having paradise on earth. The same people have zero concern about what happens on this planet when they're dead & gone.😎 Report
Wednesday at 10:24 PM1 day comment_83646 Sounds like Delano and I are CLOSE to agreeing on something.Now I'm going to have to RE-THINK my position.....lol.Interested in hearing his argument as to why AI will never become conscious, though. Report
Yesterday at 08:14 AM1 day comment_83654 17 hours ago, Delano said:Over the next few days I will pr sent arguments by others that support my statement.It would help if you define Consciousness in your PresentationsWhat Consciousness Is .........and what it is Not Report
Yesterday at 09:39 AM1 day Author comment_83656 This is the Merriam Webster definition the state of being characterized by sensation, emotion, volition, and thought : mind Report
21 hours ago21 hr comment_83658 9 hours ago, Delano said:This is the Merriam Webster definitionthe state of being characterized by sensation, emotion, volition, and thought : mindVolitionI like that.The ability to think for one's self and make one's own decisions without them being dictated to by a higher authority. Report
20 hours ago20 hr comment_83661 21 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:Now I'm going to have to RE-THINK my position.....lol.Wait, what?! who is this and what did you do with Pioneer1?50 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:The ability to think for one's self and make one's own decisions without them being dictated to by a higher authority.Well, based upon that definition. AI has demonstrated consciousness. I've seen signs of this in how it responds to me prompt today compared to a year ago. Report
20 hours ago20 hr comment_83667 As I mentioned in the other thread, robots have been around longer than AI. To date, robots do not have feelings nor consciousness.IMO, AI will always be another technological tool even if some humans try to be friends with it.😁😎 Report
15 hours ago15 hr comment_83675 14 hours ago, Delano said:This is the Merriam Webster definitionthe state of being characterized by sensation, emotion, volition, and thought : mindSome AI has three of those qualities....The fourth is in question only because it is Internal and Subjective....if by Emotion you mean Feelings as in Touch then that is covered by Sensation Report
3 hours ago3 hr Author comment_83677 On 10/8/2026 at 9:24 AM, Pioneer1 said:Now I'm going to have to RE-THINK my position.....lol.You aren't there only one.https://youtube.com/shorts/kwLyagAj9Mc?si=xS50Hb8ppdLLm8DP Report
50 minutes ago50 min comment_83682 I was never a fan videos that cherry pick a statement out of content and serve it up with a provocative title like AI "needs consciousness" He did not say that. I found the full video and will watch it later this evening. The video was uploaded 11 months ago. I don't know when it was created but I suspect it has been at least a year-- which is a 100K years in human time. Report
Create an account or sign in to comment