AALBC is Officially Done with Amazon

Troy

I've been working on an article for my blog over the past few days,AALBC is Done With Amazon!” I'm looking for, and can use, your feedback before sharing the it widely.  

The bottom line is that since 2009 the amount of money I make from Amazon selling books has dropped almost 90%. it has gotten to the point that I don't even trust the commission reports they send me.  A they reduced the cookie duration from 30 days to 1 day -- or even sooner if the users logs out of Amazon. Last year Amazon cut the commissions in half! Amazon also push ebooks over other books and formats -- I'm sure because they are more profitable to Amazon but we pennies on the sale of Amazon's ebooks.  

Now as you know I've been griping about Amazon for years, not so much because they don;t pay the website who sell book through them, but because they have become a monopoly and effectively own the Black Book ecosystem.  

As a free man, I can no longer stomach giving Amazon any support. 

I'm not selling Audible or Kindle products either.  Now if an author paying for a profile wants to sell these things on their AALBC page, I'll hold my nose and make an exception. But I'm already removed the site's links to Amazon.

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2019 at 11:41 AM, Mel Hopkins said:

Troy this line made me laugh out loud! I'll have to do some soul searching to figure out why

I suspect the "free man" bit sounded hyperbolic.

I never spent so much time on Blog post. The first draft, you read, was almost 1,800 words, this version is down to about 800. I considered using that "free man" language in my article, but I chose not too because it struck me as too angry -- despite it being how I feel.

Basically, many of us are enslaved to the Amazon's of the world -- doing their bidding and getting little of real value in return. We are evening paying Amazon for the privilege of doing business with them -- and happy to it!

If you can image a plantation where slaves are actually happy, that is the world Anazon has helped create.

I say "Hell No" to Amazon.

I've already rejected Facebook last year and this year will be the best year in traffic AALBC has received from Facebook ever. I suspect their algorithm is designed to drive traffic to brands not engaged on the Facebook in order to get them to buy ads to further increase traffic. I'm not going for the okie doke any more. 

Free men (people) are not dependent upon Amazon or any greedy plantation owner. Free people depend upon themselves and other free people.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 12:25 PM, Troy said:

I say "Hell No" to Amazon.

@Troy  I'm sure you've seen this already - but I just checked my google alerts and saw this https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bookselling/article/81153-aalbc-cuts-buy-links-to-amazon.html

"AALBC Cuts Buy Links to Amazon By Calvin Reid |  Sep 12, 2019" 😳

Yep I spoke to Calvin at PW a day or two after I published the Blog post.  A indie publisher in Brooklyn, Melville House, also covered the piece.  You should check out their article, as well as the articles they link to in their coverage.  They wrote about Amazon converting their Audible audio into ebooks -- in defiance of publishers wishes!

Amazon just doesn't give a f*uk, they are so gangsta!  While Amazon is not providing the entire text to read at once (it is apparently being providing as the audiobook is read), this is a technically which essentially give the consumer an ebook when the buy the audiobook. As you know Amazon also owns Audible.