Top-Selling Book for October, Book Reviews, and More - 11/5/2019

besteelling-books

aalbc-bestseller-seal-200

Children’s books outsold all other categories this period. The #1 bestselling book this period is the awarding winning I Can Be Anything! Don’t Tell Me I Can’t by Leo & Diane Dillon. Wonderfully illustrated and “Brimming with joy and enthusiasm, Zoe playfully explores all the things she can be. A world of opportunities are within her reach, from becoming an archeologist to becoming U.S. President!”

Fiction sales were led by the final book in the Wolf Queen series, The Promise of Aferi. The author, Cerece Rennie Murphy, brings us another epic fantasy/historical novel.

Nonfiction sales was led by Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome: America’s Legacy of Enduring Injury and Healing by Joy DeGruy Leary. Originally published in 2005 this book helps us understand the generational, epigenetic and genetic, influences on our psyches after hundreds of years of extreme trauma.

Not enough poetry books were sold this period to generate a bestsellers list, however A Fortune for Your Disaster by Hanif Abdurraqib and the National Book Award finalist, The Tradition by Jericho Brown, sold this period and are worth checking out.

kwame-reads

Kwame Alexander Reads his Acclaimed Children’s Book, The Undefeated

Alexander reads, recites actually, his Top 150 African-American Children’s Book, an AALBC.com Bestseller, that was longlisted for a National Book Award, The Undefeated.

This video was recorded during the 2019 Black Authors and Readers Rock book celebration held in Oxon Hill, MD. Look out for more videos from this terrific event

Use coupon code UNDEFEATED when you buy The Undefeated from AALBC and we'll cover sales tax and shipping!

a-forutune-for-disaster

A Fortune for Your Disaster by Hanif Abdurraqib, Reviewed by Brianna-Christine Alicea

A Fortune for Your Disaster is a beautiful masterpiece of heart, of poetic language, of resilience, and of music. The speaker draws on metaphorical resonance from pop-cultural references to reclaim the black body and black history, making it more than a series of music poems, or heartbreak poems. It’s creating a space for forgiveness and empowering us to hold memories tighter so we won’t forget, so we cherish them close to the heart. One can’t prepare for the pain they experience, but Abdurraquib’s poetry opens the heart and allows it to heal with real, uncensored writing. More ►

i-missed-the-bus

I Missed the Bus, But I Arrived On Time! by Willis L. Drake, Reviewed by Robert Fleming

Our reading community gets tired of memoirs celebrating guns, drugs, loose morals, and general mayhem. Willis L. Drake’s recollections, I Missed The Bus, But I Arrived On Time, bucks this trend of lawlessness and decadence with a tribute to Old-School family traits of hard work, dedication, determination and self-reliance.

Raised in St. Louis, Drake enjoys a pleasant childhood based on Christian beliefs, alongside his hard-working father and dutiful mother. His father worked night shift on a job, which allowed him little time to spend with his family. Still, his son recognized his father as a role model and a good provider. He was very close to his mother, whose family believed to be a woman of visions and divinely blessed. As a child, he remembers his mother’s “bright outlook,” proclaiming “her boy could do anything if he put his mind to it.” More ►

The-King-of-no

The King of No: A Financial Firefighter by Loyall Wilson, Reviewed by Robert Fleming

Compliance demands complete honesty, Wilson writes. He explains the crime of forgery, stealing as a side hustle, the cleansing effect of confession, and the details of white collar thievery. The book is full of teaching moments, applicable in banking and investment.

Wilson’s unforgettable manual for effective investment, client trust, and compliance is rich with insight and illumination. Believing his work has made a difference in the industry, his wise words in his book will do the same. More ►

verses

Verses by Jewel Caston-Mendoza, Reviewed by Brianna-Christine Alicea

Verses chronicles the emotions and thoughts of a lover, wife, mother, yet most importantly, a woman whose life is captured in emotional verses. The verse form is a composition written in metrical rhythm, forming rhyming lines. As each poem is categorized into seven chapters and paired with a visual image by Chantece Dayshon Mendoza, the titles are reflective of the themes present in the poems. As the entry point for her book, Caston-Mendoza uses the “Once Upon A Time,” chapter to indicate the feeling of nostalgia for past love and bliss with some undertones of despair in them. It is within this section that the reader gains a full impact of life before the skeletons in the closet. More ►

Dolemite is My Name-news

Dolemite Is My Name, Reviewed by C. Liegh McInnis

The film investigates what white America simultaneously loathes and fetishizes about black culture, while ensuring that black bodies remain subjects rather than objects so that their humanity can teach, heal, and inspire others. Yet, ultimately, Dolemite Is My Name is not interested in telling a story about overcoming racism or the white normative gaze; it is interested in showing the power of self-belief, which is a power, if realized, that can transition African people from begging white folks to be nice to them to creating their own institutions to nurture their own sovereignty. More ►

troy2019

Dear Reader,

Our cutting ties with am*zon this summer has been a godsend. We are selling more books by getting more and larger orders. I've always said AALBC thrives only with your support. Each thing your do to help spread the word matters. Whether it is social sharing of our content or telling a friend about our website, it all matters.

As a direct result of your patronage, we have recently upgraded our servers to accommodate an increase in traffic. We have also deployed software to process our book orders. The site is truly world class thanks to you!

As always, thank you for your support. Please keep reading and sharing our content!

Peace and Love,
Troy Johnson
Founder & Webmaster, AALBC.com

news-letter-banner

Consider sponsoring our eNewsletter or a dedicated mailing.
★ AALBC.com eNewsletter – November 5, 2019 - Issue #280