Sign in to follow this  
Troy

Niggers and flies

“Niggers and flies, I do despise. The more I see Niggers, the more I like flies.”

--Clarence Thomas, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States

This from the brother who succeeded Thurgood Marshall. This quote was obtained from the novel from Clarence's ex girlfriend, Lillian McEwen, who penned the tell-all book (sorry, memoir) D.C. Unmasked & Undressed: A Memoir.

You can't make this stuff up.

:D Clarence ain't nothin but a playa. If he'd have been a Democrat we would've taken him to our bosom. Where did he go wrong? Over the years, I've heard many a person utter that phrase about "niggas and flies". Who knew? :unsure:

Well Cynique I did not think it was an original though of Clarence's but I'd never heard it before. It does sound like the poetry Big Buck shared with us earlier in the year.

If he were a Democrat he would not be on the Supreme Court.

Oops. I didn't mean to sound like I was defending Clarence Thomas. Like a parent who wonders how a child went wrong by choosing a life of crime, I was wondering what drove Thomas to turn to a life of Uncle Tomism. For all we know, he may have originated that phrase about flies, etc. :huh:

Oops. I didn't mean to sound like I was defending Clarence Thomas. Like a parent who wonders how a child went wrong by choosing a life of crime, I was wondering what drove Thomas to turn to a life of Uncle Tomism. For all we know, he may have originated that phrase about flies, etc. :huh:

Oh hail no..that isnt an orginal thought from Uncle TomClar, I grew up with that saying..

LiLi

“Niggers and flies, I do despise. The more I see Niggers, the more I like flies.”

Well, it may not be original, but I do aree with it......

Guest Amaru

It's definitely not original. In fact. It has variations, including one with fleas (Niggas, fleas and flies...). What's missing though is context. My mother and her good friend (both Black) used to say this in the 70s. They used it as a condemnation of riff raff (niggas) as opposed to what they believed to be more upstanding Blacks. I just remembered it (because my dog has fleas...) and wondered if its origins were from White racists, as many of our customs are. When I googled it, this forum was one of the few things that popped up, which makes me believe it may actually be from our community. If that's the case, ironically, it in some way affirms Clarence's Blackness. 

Amaru, interestingly this page attracts a lot of visitors through search.  Oh Clarence is Black, but as Cynique inferred above, he is chose a different path.  If has worked out well for him, but has not served his people very well.  But then again this is the American Way isn't it?  

• Like 1

Guest Tweet Johnson

Bother, I have to agree. No matter how we deny, we are not what we should be. Fathers, Mothers leading our children.

Not Rhetoric 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 2:25 PM, Guest Tweet Johnson said:

Bother, I have to agree. No matter how we deny, we are not what we should be. Fathers, Mothers leading our children.

Ya got that right......

Guest BlackConfusionAnProud

I grew up hearing this as well. I do feel it to be true but with any race. Nigger is just saying ignorant. Anyone can be ignorant. Why else would these young boys of all nationalities want their underware showing. 

A word we said had been buried....why are we resurrecting a word that means someone is going to die at the hands of their oppressor.

Clarence is a mocking bird, I recall a book entitle: To Kill A Mocking Bird. Clarence represents self-hate. Lets not join him.  The word

has been buried.  The Bible says...let the dead bury themselves (dry bones) me must struggle forward if we are to struggle.  My goal is living.

LOL   

Guest Redder

I can't say that I like the use of the word, but I think we get the message. Regardless of race, there is a subclass mindset of individuals that many despise. I actually like Clarence Thomas though. If you study the history of the Republican Party, you'd know that it was created for the oppositions to slavery and the southern Democrats (who by the way, started the KKK). The great Fred Douglas was a Repub. Not a Dem. It was a Dem. Lyndon Johnson who said "lets pass the Civil Rights bill so we can have ni**ers vote democrat for the next 200 years". Ask yourself, why are we being fed crap sandwiches by the politicians, continue to vote Dem, and we are still at the bottom. NO PARTY deserves the black vote until real change is seen.

The Republican Party neglected  blacks during the Reconstruction era that ushered in Jim Crowism which was just another form of slavery. When FDR took office during the Depression, blacks began streaming into the Democratic party because it spoke better to their needs.  During the height of the Civil Rights movement, southern Democrats were so horrified by the possibility of equality being granted to negroes that they bolted their traditional party and formed the Dixiecrats who subsequently infiltrated and took over the Republican party. 

Clarence Thomas was an affable ol colored guy,  but he betrayed his people by aligning himself with the Right Wing Conservatives on the Supreme Court, and voted against everything that could benefit blacks, and this included the affirmative action and social programs that he and Uncle Ben Carson both benefited from.   

Are you suggesting that blacks just stop voting and wait around for one of these parties to address their problems?  What we do know is that as flawed as the Democratic party is,  the Republicans are even worse and they couldn't care less about blacks coming over to their side 

• Thanks 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this