The Milli Vanilli movie?

Lol.....

Milli Vanilli had some catchy tunes back in the day!

I used to walk around singing "Blame it On The Rain"

"Blame it on the raaaaiin...yeah...yeaaaaah".....LOL

"Girl you know it's true....oooo.....ooo....oooo....I love yooouuuu"

Man, come on.  I think they gave MV too hard of a time.
Just because they caught them lip syncing or something.
Most artists do that today.

Arsenio Hall used to CLOWN on them all the time, lol.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

Lol.....

Milli Vanilli had some catchy tunes back in the day!

I used to walk around singing "Blame it On The Rain"

"Blame it on the raaaaiin...yeah...yeaaaaah".....LOL

"Girl you know it's true....oooo.....ooo....oooo....I love yooouuuu"

Man, come on.  I think they gave MV too hard of a time.
Just because they caught them lip syncing or something.
Most artists do that today.

Arsenio Hall used to CLOWN on them all the time, lol.

A lot of today's music is sung through voice modifiers, so that the singer often sounds like a computer.

Milli Vanilli were trivial, I was unable to give a damn one way or the other. But then I'm from the 60s and so spoiled with GREAT music!

I saw the TAMI concert in 1964, in Santa Monica. The Rolling Stones. Chuck Berry... but the most amazing act was James Brown. I'd never heard of him yet. OMG watch James Brown TAMI on Youtube. Poor Mick Jagger trying to seem exciting after that... Yeah, Milli Vanilli is a big yawn.

Michel Montvert

Not sure if you'd admit to this even if you believed it yourself, however I've constantly said on this site that there has been an OBVIOUS decline in AfroAmerican musical talent over the past 50 years or so.

When you compare the AfroAmerican musicians TODAY with those of the past...especially the 70s and back....not only have fewer AfroAmericans come up with ORIGINAL musical beats but fewer know how to play actual musical instruments like drums, horns, and pianos.

And the LYRICS of the songs have become so outrageously inferior compared to the past.
The stupidity, the glorification of criminality and immorality, the "mumbling" of words to the point that you can't even understand most of the lyrics.
It's atrocious and embarrassing.

It's as if the worse of AfroAmerican sub-culture is being promoted by promoting today's music and today's artists.

I expect to hear some push back from @ProfD over my comment.....lol...but an observation is an observation.

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I expect to hear some push back from @ProfD over my comment.....lol...but an observation is an observation.

On cue and as expected,😁 while I do not disagree with your sentiment, there's no shortage of AfroAmerican talent.

You'll find a whole lot of AfroAmerican talent in black churches, performing arts schools, colleges and universities all over this country.

Unfortunately, you will not find the best of AfroAmerican talent on the radio or music videos. Those outlets are designed to sell the McDonald's equivalent of music. 

There's a reason Jazz lost it's popularity. Not because it's unsophisticated music. To the contrary, one has to be talented in order to play Jazz at a high level.

The reality is Jazz doesn't sell well. Any type of music or art in general that requires the listener to pay attention is usually an acquired taste. 

OTOH, simpler  art is easier to consume whether it's music, movies, plays, paintings, etc. 

Commercial music has been dumbed down for many years. But, that doesn't negate the fact that plenty higher quality music is still being composed, written and produced. You just have to look harder for it. 

As long as AfroAmericans rely on White folks to finance, market and promote their music, rest assured they're going to invest in the trash that sells and makes the most money😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Why does "trash" sell? Could it be that "one man's trash is another one's treasure", and that there is no accounting for taste?  If this socio-democracy utopia that  everybody approves of ever comes into being, will people be able to choose whatever entertains and resonates without being criticized for not conforming to the taste of those who presumably know what's  best. When it comes to music every generation embraces what's new, and dismisses what's old and in 25 years, yesterday's junk will be considered classics. 

I also wonder how the citizens of a brave new world would ever live in peace  when blacks and whites will be forever competing for the superiority they each think they possess. 

1 hour ago, Cynique said:

Why does "trash" sell? Could it be that "one man's trash is another one's treasure", and that there is no accounting for taste? 

Absolutely. Trash and treasure have been interchangeable for a long time especially as it relates to art.

Many folks considered Rap music and Hip-Hop garbage. Yet, the music has generated billions of dollars and created a bunch of millionaires. 

Beauty and trash are ultimately in the eyes and ears of the beholder. Then, there's the folks who control the purse strings. 😎

ProfD

As long as AfroAmericans rely on White folks to finance, market and promote their music, rest assured they're going to invest in the trash that sells and makes the most money

That part right there.

That line pretty much sums it up.

The so-called "Black Music" that is dominating much of the media today is the music that White executives who run the entertainment industry is PROMOTING.
It's not all there is, but it's what they're promoting as Black culture and trying to influence the Black youth to produce more of....because it's negative and trashy.

They KNOW what they're doing and why they're doing it...do we?

ProfD and Cynique

Beauty and trash are ultimately in the eyes and ears of the beholder. Then, there's the folks who control the purse strings.

Could it be that "one man's trash is another one's treasure", and that there is no accounting for taste?

It could be.
However some things are UNIVERSAL and certain delights in sight, sound, taste, and touch can be found and agreed upon across cultural lines.

-Very few if any cultures delight in eating shit.
They tend to enjoy foods that are sweet, fatty, and salty.
-Curvy women are seen as attractive as well as muscular men....across the board.
-No culture likes the smell of farts.

I can go on and on but you get the point....

Human nature is wired to find certain similarities attractive and other similarities disgusting regardless of environment or up bringing.

When you see young men who are fat with big bellies hanging down, titties like a woman, and tattoos all over their bodies.....

MAXO KREAM: THE POWER OF STORYTELLING - Lyrical Lemonade

....growling and mumbling and talking about murdering people, raping people, selling drugs....with big grins on their faces while they smoke dope-

NOBODY with good sense finds that treasurable or beautiful.

It's horrible
Filthy
Disgusting
Vile
Wicked

Most people across races and cultures...including ours....revile such displays of ignorance and debauchery.

But this is what is being honed in on and promoted by White music executives as "Black culture" and this is what a lot of AfroAmerican "artists" are gladly performing for money.

16 hours ago, Cynique said:

When it comes to music every generation embraces what's new, and dismisses what's old and in 25 years, yesterday's junk will be considered classics. 

Yes, probably! @Cynique

But then too like it was said here, I think @ProfDsaid it; it takes effort to appreciate real talent like jazz.

And, I'll admit that I don't listen it today because it is not broadcasted and made ready, but jazz is awesome.

And even though a lot of talent was around before I was born, I love to listen to the oldies that I feel are timeless.

21 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Michel Montvert

Not sure if you'd admit to this even if you believed it yourself, however I've constantly said on this site that there has been an OBVIOUS decline in AfroAmerican musical talent over the past 50 years or so.

When you compare the AfroAmerican musicians TODAY with those of the past...especially the 70s and back....not only have fewer AfroAmericans come up with ORIGINAL musical beats but fewer know how to play actual musical instruments like drums, horns, and pianos.

And the LYRICS of the songs have become so outrageously inferior compared to the past.
The stupidity, the glorification of criminality and immorality, the "mumbling" of words to the point that you can't even understand most of the lyrics.
It's atrocious and embarrassing.

It's as if the worse of AfroAmerican sub-culture is being promoted by promoting today's music and today's artists.

Your comment is entirely true, and still true if you remove the qualifer "African-American". Look at the white music! It stinks! We went from Bob Dylan to Justin Timberlake.

There have been brief flashes of light over the recent decades. Snoop Dogg was creative and funny. There are occasional good things, but yeah it bores me shitless.

Lately I listen mostly to Toots & the Maytals,. Marley, Bob Dylan and Ali Farka Touré (and his son Vieux).

The political side of this is that those in power tightened their control of the music industry following the explosion of music which threatened them. in the 60s and 70s. They introduced playlists, DJs playing only approved songs. Songs expressing dysfunctional culture. Glorification of violence and misogyny. It is BY DESIGN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ProfD said:

Many folks considered Rap music and Hip-Hop garbage. Yet, the music has generated billions of dollars and created a bunch of millionaires. 

Beauty and trash are ultimately in the eyes and ears of the beholder. Then, there's the folks who control the purse strings. 😎

I agree. I did not care for the much of the vulgar rap music that was in the 2000s however, prior to this time period, I thought some of it was good. 

Then because of this AALBC community, I came to hear about the late Nipsey Hussle and listened to his music, and I thought it was awesome. 

I feel that he was gunned down, perhaps due to just one vengeful man, but it would not surprise me that "the folks who control the purse strings." may have had a hand in stirring up the pot. Like his music, there seems to have been a movement going on amongst the fellas to clean up rap music and stop being negative about Black women and such. Nipsey really seem to convey this message along with others and he almost won a grammy.

3 minutes ago, Michel Montvert said:

Your comment is entirely true, and still true if you remove the qualifer "African-American". Look at the white music! It stinks! We went from Bob Dylan to Justin Timberlake.

Young bloods. I don't know much about Justin Timberlake but he's obviously good to get this kind of noteriety. I didn't listen to much of Snoop Dog, but the little that I heard, he does seem pretty good. On the other side of the culture, I loved Michael McDonald, Paul Simon, and much more. 

All genres of jazz are available for listeners on Cable TV music channels, and FM radio stations. I check them out regularly.  

I grew up listening to the beautiful love ballads of the 1950s, lush melodic songs with exquisite lyrics sung by artists like Nat Cole and Frank Sinatra and Sarah Vaughn and Ella Fitzgerald and Peggy Lee and this music is now regularly scoffed at as being too bland and slow  by the same people who complain about others not liking what they listen to. Everybody thinks what they prefer is the best. Fortunately, we all the the option to skip what doesn't appeal to us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chevdove said:

Then because of this AALBC community, I came to hear about the late Nipsey Hussle and listened to his music, and I thought it was awesome. 

I feel that he was gunned down, perhaps due to just one vengeful man, but it would not surprise me that "the folks who control the purse strings." may have had a hand in stirring up the pot. Like his music, there seems to have been a movement going on amongst the fellas to clean up rap music and stop being negative about Black women and such.

I think you are more likely correct about this, rather than paranoid. I have also found it suspicious, just who gets killed. The obvious case is John Lennon.

It is indeed a battle to get conscious music onto the airwaves and to a larger audience.

Queen Latifa did a rap video about that, calling out the males for being misogynist pigs. One of my 5th-grade students once had me listen to a rap tape, and it was disgusting... glorifying rape, really vile stuff. I said you better not be treating girls like that! He said, oh no, teacher, it's just music, I don't act like that. Good I hope not. Damn!

You say good things, we're arguing over the Olmecs and Maya, but you're cool. It's just an academic disagreement. I think you're correct in suspecting the motives of industry execs. There's an old dramatic play from the late 40s or early 50s, called "USA" by John Dos Passos, in which he has corporate execs all collaborating to control the population through advertising... putting not only "buy this" messages, but also sociocultural programming in the ads. I do believe they engage in elaborate attempts to control popular thinking; that's how much they fear the people.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...