H.R. 40: Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act

This bill died, sponsored by John Conyers (RIP) in congress in 2015, but can be reintroduced.

H.R. 40 Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act

To acknowledge the fundamental injustice, cruelty, brutality, and inhumanity of slavery in the United States and the 13 American colonies between 1619 and 1865 and to establish a commission to examine the institution of slavery, subsequently de jure and de facto racial and economic discrimination against African-Americans, and the impact of these forces on living African-Americans, to make recommendations to the Congress on appropriate remedies, and for other purposes.

The fact that the bill didn't gain any traction on POTUS Obama's watch is a testament to the fact that the issue of reparations is a non-starter among Americans.

OTOH, the Anti-Asian Hate Crime bill passed through Congress with flying colors. Nevermind that there are less than 20 Asian-Americans in Congress. 

Reparations will take a massive movement in order to become a real issue for America.  The system of racism white supremacy won't allow it.

White folks are playing the long game and letting the clock run out. They know time  will wash away the history of slavery from future generations of AfroAmericans. 😎

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ProfD said:

The fact that the bill didn't gain any traction on POTUS Obama's watch is a testament to the fact that the issue of reparations is a non-starter among Americans.

Yes, and I remember too, that Obama spoke against it as well.

19 hours ago, ProfD said:

Reparations will take a massive movement in order to become a real issue for America.  The system of racism white supremacy won't allow it.

True, but I still believe that eventually something will happen, no matter how hard this issue is kicked against. 

16 hours ago, Delano said:

There isn't enough political\social justice capital to make this happen. 

Certainly true. 

I think it will take a supernatural occurrence for this earth to purge from this great evil of chattel slavery. 

Heck, I believe that in some places in the world, slavery is probably still occurring. 

At any rate, no matter how hard racist people kick against it, Black people should never let them forget it and continue to charge this system with reparations due to us.

So, I am very happy to hear this news. 

@Troy

I like the fact that the bill realizes that the problem the descendent of enslaved have transcends the usa. One of the problems with reparations as an issue is many can't accept that reparations is beyond the usa, it is truly about the relationship between blacks and whites in the american continent. A relationship that is historically far worse than negative. 

My only issue with the bill is , it sadly isn't needed. I have thought about reparations for a while and it occurs to me that if you look at the DOS community from a what happened and what needs to be undone perspective, no study is needed.

What happened? 

DOSers ancestors were ripped from their homes and forced to be part of another community and said ancestors descendents from the 13 colonies  to today live absent a choice for the most part in the community, the usa or the 13 colonies that preceded it,  that their forebears were forced to be a part of.  That is the simple truth of DOS history. So, that is what happened.

How do you undo that? 

Simple, DOSers need a new land all to themselves to replace the lands they were ripped from, and they need resources to build up that land reciprocating all the resources their forebears of themselves provided to make the 13 colonies and the usa what they were.

The problem is, no where on earth is uninhabited . so at least 15,000,000 people will cause chaos by default wherever they go. Exhibit a is israel. at the end of the day, the idea was tried out there and look at palestine, it is a never ending negative situation. Yes, israel has alliances but the palestineans have not forgotten and the situation is simply a blood feud, that will only end when the palestinean or the israeli are gone. DOSers will simply be another israeli group. 

The only internal black problem with reparations is something the prior commentors allude to, correctly, but they don't say straightly. White European power forced Black  African people to be part of the 13 colonies or the usa. But said power occurred for so long, many, not most , but many black people have accepted the usa side the whites in it.  Sequentially, those blacks don't need reparations. Do you comprehend Troy? 

It is historical fact that most free blacks and 99% of the enslaved blacks when the usa was founded didn't want the usa founded or wanted out of the usa. It is historical fact that it was true during the war of 1812 and up to the war between the states. It was during the war between the states that a significant percentage of black DOSers started claiming the usa as their home, and from said war between the states to 2023, the percentage of pro usa+ pro white blacks has grown.

The problem is, reparations at its heart has to be a big middle finger to the usa or the whites in it. But it offers a strong cultural question.

DOSers who have accepted the usa, the black immigrants in modernity who come from all over the world to be part of the usa. the non black immigrants who like the black immigrants come from all over the world to be part of the usa, the WASP enslavers descedants who made the usa,killed the native american and enslaved the black dosers for their usa all have a belief in the usa. A love for it. Reparations at its heart is a dislike/hatred of the usa being provided by the usa itself. And that is why the reparations issue has no traction. As an issue it spits in the face of so many in the usa who love the usa, feel its better, feel it warrants a chance, and again, reparations at its heart is DOSers saying, the usa isn't enough, it isn't wanted. 

And again, I want it comprehended or said in this forum, the Black DOS communities modern relationship to the usa is modern. It really isn't historical in the 13 colonies or the usa itself. When black people talk about forebears fighting to vote, they seem to forget more of their forebears fought to simply kill whites or leave the usa and many of them dreamed more than anything. I paraphrase james baldwin: his father in the black church of his youth hated whites. Many black DOSers have similar stories but we rarely say it in white owned media as we are ashamed or we just don't want the hassle of talking about it. 

So I conclude with a simple restatement. 

Reparations involves Black people's relationship with whites from the 13 colonies to modern usa. But it doesn't need a study. It is an issue that needed to happen in the past, but modern usa wealth doesn't happen if reparations happened in the past. Sequentially, most in modern usa, can't accept the fundamental point of reparations, which garvey best comprehended, that many and I daresay most Black DOSers don't like the usa or the whites <wasp/white asians/white latinos/white arabs/white muslims  white women or similar> in it.  So, reparations is warranted or needed but is contrapose to various communities relationship to the usa, including a large percentage of Black DOSers themselves. 

That Asian Hate-Crime Bill passed easily in Congress and they didn't need to establish a "study" to waste time.
They just immediately passed the bill almost unanimously to protect the Asian community from racist targeting as well as give them money.

They know how to waste time when they want to.

• Like 1