Twitter is Dead

This news completely surprised me.  This is what happens when you actively avoid consuming content on social media I guess.

When I connected to Twitter to check on engagement (from a tweet I send out through MailChimp), I saw a flash of a big "X" and then I noticed the same Big X on the upper left had side of my screen.

x.jpg

I hadn't even noticed the blue bird was gone.  I thought it was a bug; after a quick search, only then did I learn Twitter was killed by Musk in favor of his new social media Platform "X," https://x.com. Nothing has changed.  It is probably a publicity stunt (which I'm feeding into).

Well if it will get Black people to consider Black-owned platforms, then it is a good thing.  

But I will not be surprised to see us running around celebrating our engagement on X with "Black X." 

Reads like Zuck's Meta Threads has Musk trying to do some kind of Tw8tter remix/rebrand.

Billionaires playing games while the masses line their pockets with more money.😁

it's a d8mn shame that tech savvy AfroAmericans won't put their heads together and come up with our own social media platform to rival the white ones.😎

@Troy  yeah I saw it on my sports check ... in defense of musk, he did say he wanted to make twitter profitable and change its nature as a firm. Considering what reddit is doing, and even MEta, it is clear all of these sites are figuring out how to exist in the next phase of the internet.

@ProfD in the world of esocial media, users are currency, so you want a black owned website(s) to rival userbases from the likes of facebook/tiktok/youtube and the other most followed global websites or the likes of tumblr/weibo/line of nippon at the top of the regional websites. In either case three problems exist.

1)Gimmicks matter, Youtube was the first to have a functional wide user base video sharing system, not cheap and it didn't make money, so white financiers at that time, were willing to put money into it. Tiktok is the first wide short video functional system, again not cheap, and worked in china beforehand, and exported through investment by financers in china. Twitter was the first to focus on short text messages. Gimmicks matter. But photo sharing/video sharing/text sharing ala blogs have all been done. Crowdfunding like kickstarter or subscription like onlyfans has been done already. So what is really left?  Potentially some form of Crypto but that has unforseen financial limits or challenges in the future and its backend is quite expensive. Augmented reality but none of the current systems are cheap and research and development is not cheap, it is very expensive. 

2) Absent gimmicks to get people on board, you will need to invest in users. The reality of the internet is all the big websites paid for the big users. The presidents/sports stars/music stars/self help gurus all were given money to be on platforms, maybe the money wasn't grand for us but that is besides the point. The users that attracted common folk were paid. So that is money.

3) The black financial aristocracy throughout humanity tends to be financially arisky. Meaning, they like to invest in things that are safe to return. This is a consequence or prosequence depending on how you look at it, of black history. Black wealth rarely comes from legal cheats. In modern humanity , for the most part, Black folk have never been allowed or provided stolen land grabs or administrative abusive powers in government or various perfectly legal  financial transaction abuses. So, we are used to getting money illegally which makes one considerate for the most part or through long labors which teaches one to be risk averse or luck which makes one cautious with a sudden jump,ala black lottery winners. Sequentially, it isn't in the heritage of the black financial aristocracy in modernity to take the risk that is needed to invest in an esocial website. You have to comprehend, most websites with a gimmick were not the first but for one reason or another had an advantage that causes populariity. This means all the investment in a new esocial website could lead to nothing. It is possible a bunch of black engineers+ black fiscal aristocrats get together try to make a website and fail and then whites try the same thing and succeed simply learning what went wrong with the prior attempt which is how many of the most popular websites made their difference. 

I end with another thought, i think more functional. Why can't the black fiscal elite + computer/electronic engineers support an already made website. Like AALBC perhaps? 

@richardmurray, every social media platform started somewhere.

Faceb88k was started by a college dropout.  Am8zon was started in a garage. Those cats are billionaires. 

Black folks cannot relying on white folks and orhers to provide for us. We have to become self-sufficient.

When white folks and others decide to pull the rug and/or turn off the lights, we shouldn't be lost in the wilderness.

As I mentioned in another thread, Black folks can consume al types of sh8t that others produce.

But, as soon as we talk about pooling resources and investing...it's too hard or there are too many excuses.

Pardon my position in discussions involving fiscal responsibility and economic empowerment. 

Personally, I know becoming successful takes a whole lot of action, grit, determination, networking and some luck.  

Whether legal or illegal, making money  takes effort i.e.  work. It has to start somewhere.

Pooling resources and investments. Black folks need to get on it.😎

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ProfD said:

AfroAmericans won't put their heads together and come up with our own social media platform to rival the white ones.😎

Would Black peoples actually use such a social media site?

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

Faceb88k was started by a college dropout.  Am8zon was started in a garage. Those cats are billionaires. 

Those stores are just that, stories. both companies had and have a tremendous amount of financial backing. 

@richardmurray what is or should be AALBC’s “gimmick”

i appreciate you all could be giving elon and mark all of your jewels. The time you spend here is the ONLY thing that keeps this part of the site viable.

Of course if more Black people posted here instead of social it would be amazing. But the value proposition inadequate. 

this forum is not designed to hack into your brain and manipulate your level of engagement. Now there is some content here that has some aspect of what social media offers but that is purely incidental and not by design the way it is on social.

18 hours ago, Troy said:

Would Black peoples actually use such a social media site?

We may never know because Black folks en mass won't leave white platforms in order to create and patronize their own.  The white ice is colder.

18 hours ago, Troy said:

Those stores are just that, stories. both companies had and have a tremendous amount of financial backing. 

True. Many Black folks use religion (stories) as a guiding force in their lives. 

There's nothing that prevents Black folks from using myths (stories) and methods  as motivation to create their own companies and wealth. 

The bottom line is that Black folks won't have anything of our own if we continue to patronize and consume everything created by everybody else. 

AALBC is an example that there's plenty room for specialized spaces as well.

Otherwise, it is my belief that for as many Black folks as there are patronizing the biggest social media platforms, they should be able to create their own.

Admittedly, I don't patronize any of those social media platforms. But, if Black folks owned one, I'd support it.😎

@ProfD  You are not the first black person to state everything I said is excuses. You will not be the last. But I see it as the simple hard truth. 

And I will defend you side other black people who call excuses on scenarios black people live in today. I get it. If nonviolence truly will work for black people descended of enslaved in the usa, then, the black community in the usa will overcome a lack of financial inheritance, a lack of ancestral support and actually rival or better the white populace in the usa without firing a shot. I get it. What you call excuses are also the nails on the coffin for nonviolence actually working for the black community in the usa. Somehow Black people in the usa will have to go against all that human history teaches about any peoples enslaved to another under a government to financially succeed as a community absent violence. It is about believing, I comprehend. I oppose your position but I comprehend it. 

@Troy

Yes, most Black people will spend most of their time on a black owned website if that website is able to figure out how to get the black populace to do so. 

Good question to gimmick.... While I will not deny I thought of long before today and had many a varying thought. If I focus on what AALBC is doing, I do think getting most or all black authors as possible as members of this community is a goal but also the closest thing to a gimmick with what AALBC does.  I realize it wouldn't grow the forum, but I think AALBC can be great as the spot where black authors have a presence. The question is, how to get more black authors ? or what black authors are not being seviced online  that can be regaled?

As for the forum... I have ideas but am I even convinced... no. 

On my own end, the goal of the black games elite group I started is to make a black video game company  

3 hours ago, richardmurray said:

Black people in the usa will have to go against all that human history teaches about any peoples enslaved to another under a government to financially succeed as a community absent violence. It is about believing, I comprehend. I oppose your position but I comprehend it. 

Yeah mayne, as I've mentioned several times already, a violent revolution won't benefit Black folks.

Black folks are too religious and not bloodthirsty enough to organize that level of effort. 

However, if Black folks were to pull their collective wealth out of supporting white folks and others i.e. gross consumerism, it would cripple the economy in a major way without firing a single shot.😎

@ProfD and as I have mentioned several times, i am not advocating in modernity mass violence by blacks in the usa to whites or the usa itself, which it seems so many of you seem to think or suggest unstraightly by the way you reply to my prose while I am stating the historically proven impotency in nonviolence as a strategem that many blacks in the usa continually utter to any goal or agenda. Black people in the usa have tried every nonviolent action, nothing worked. And the reason was an absence of power, which white people got through violence.

As these articles prove, women or latinos are now joining blacks in the complaint to why nonviolence hasn't lead to some changes

https://aalbc.com/tc/profile/6477-richardmurray/?status=2390&type=status

35 minutes ago, richardmurray said:

@ProfD and as I have mentioned several times, i am not advocating in modernity mass violence by blacks in the usa to whites or the usa itself...I am stating the historically proven impotency in nonviolence as a strategem...

Gotcha.  Non-violence may not work but I'm still advocating an attack on their economic system.😎