Google's Algorithm is up to No Good Again

Google Dominates searchGoogle has an effective monopoly in search; they eclipse all other search engines combined.  Google's YouTube dominance is so complete I'm sure you're unable to name three competitors.

Google has exploited this dominance in many ways that have hurt the web overall -- particularly as it relates to Black people.  Now this is nothing new and I have written about this subject over the last 15 years.  

Given the lack of reaction, particularly from those most effected, I gave up trying to highlight the problems caused by Google's dominance.  This is no different than the reactions to my decrying Amazon and social media. 

But the current trends I'm seeing with Google are particularly disturbing. Since the beginning of the year, Google algorithms as Google has begun to emphasize the most controversial subject matter while depressing the most positive.  How do I know?  Google provides me with the data.

I recently noticed an explosion in the number of comments in a video I uploaded 4 years ago, “Barack Obama Didn’t Do a Darn Thing for Black People.”  This video has been watched almost 59K times -- almost all of those views in the past month!

youtube-obama-video.jpg  

Virtually none of these views result in traffic back to this site, and my YouTube channel does not meet the minimum requirements for monetization (I have the subscriber count, but only 1/2 the "watch hours" count they require).  As a result, as a result only Google benefits financially from this video.  Keep in mind Google's algorithm controls the how frequently a video is watched.   

Still, why has Google turned up the volume on the Barack-Obama-Didn’t-Do-a-Darn-Thing-for-Black-People messaging?

Google is responsible to most of AALBC's website traffic. Lately they have been sending a ton of traffic to the site for people searching for "Why are Black people so violent?" This search brings more people to the site than anything else.

I publish original book reviews, but if you run a query on these titles Google will send you to 20 Amazon pages before they send you to AALBC. 

Basically, Google rewards website that generate controversial or content designed to illicit an emotional response.  If the content is designed to inform, nurture, or God forbid celebrate Black positively it is buried in search -- unless a white owned platform produced it.

The reason we see so much crap on the WWW, including websites riddled with shitty ads, is because Google has created the financial incentives for websites to do this -- it is in Google's financial interest. 

Below is a graph that depicts the Afro.com's search traffic and we see a step decline in traffic over the past two years (blue line), the orange line shows paid traffic there was little on organic traffic.  Basically, Google is telling the oldest newspaper in the country you have to pay for traffic from out search engine, this profile is similar for AALBC and many other Black platforms. 

This is the same for social media traffic.  Facebook was up front and announced: they have shut off organic traffic -- brands have to pay for it.  

the-afro-traffic.jpg

The following graph for Blkem.com, one of the few Black-owned social media websites.  Never heard of it?  Of course not, as you can see from the graph Google sends no organic search traffic to the website. In order words, there is no query other than "blkem" that you can run on Google's search engine to get this site to some up high enough that someone will see it to click.

blkem.jpg

As a group we don't put our heads together for figure out a way to deal with Google's dominance, for we are in Google's pocket, too busy competing against one another, or simply fighting to survive.

No surprise that Google has a monopoly on the market. 

Microsoft laid the groundwork back in the 1980s. 

Consumers allow these companies to grow into behemoths. 

Altruistically, it would be awesome if the monsters played nicely with the "little guys".  

Everything is about 1) making money and 2) anti-Black social engineering/messaging.

The question to ask is why is Google allowed to be free-range.😎

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

The question to ask is why is Google allowed to be free-range.😎

Oh that is easy -- it makes the most money for the owners.  Of course, Google could still make money without shitting all over the internet, but it would just be less.  Google paid billions to establish their monopoly and God now how much to politicians to sit with their thumbs up their butts.

The government is now trying to address Google's monopoly in search let's see what happens.  Whatever happens it will be too little and too late.

So why don't Black people INFILTRATE corporations like Google and Youtube and others so that we're on the inside and help make some of the decisions?

In my opinion the Government should stay out of telling Google or any other private business what to do as long as they aren't directly harming people.
If the Government doesn't like how a particular business is doing things or treating their customers then THEY should start a social media or website that offers better service and more equity.

But they don't want to do that.
They want to spend money by the billions on Ukraine and Israel.

But as for us..........

This is OUR country, we aren't just innocent by-standers while White people in glasses are sitting on thrones somewhere up in Silicon Valley operating with sole authority over social media.
We DO have authority if we get off the couch and exert it.

There are already good people working for Google, they just hold little sway when the company's prime directive is to maximize shareholder wealth.  besides Goolg is already know for hiring very few Black people.

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

In my opinion the Government should stay out of telling Google or any other private business what to do as long as they aren't directly harming people.

I guess that depends on how you define "harm." How many people have to die or become impoverished first.  How long did it take for the government to deal with the tabacco industry, the NRA, the Sackler family, or financial institutions?  

This is OUR country, we aren't just innocent by-standers while White people in glasses are sitting on thrones somewhere up in Silicon Valley operating with sole authority over social media.

Yeah, we pretty much are. 

We DO have authority if we get off the couch and exert it.

We don't, not really.  The Montgomery bus boycott took place almost 70 years ago.  Those strategies are no longer effective. 

What tools do we have at our disposal today?

Troy

There are already good people working for Google, they just hold little sway when the company's prime directive is to maximize shareholder wealth.  besides Goolg is already know for hiring very few Black people.

I wonder are there any Black people in positions AT Google already to hire more Black folks and bring us in.

That's usually how other groups do it.

I guess that depends on how you define "harm." How many people have to die or become impoverished first.  
How long did it take for the government to deal with the tabacco industry, the NRA, the Sackler family, or financial institutions?  

How many people have died as a direct result of an action by Google?

How many people have ended up in poverty as a direct result or action by Google?

Google is a search engine, not in the same category as a fire arm or chemical that can cause direct harm to people and thus must be regulated.

Can Google cause mental harm?
Well, the argument can be made for it....but psychiatric problems generally have physical causes.

Besides, we have to be careful with the over regulation because it's a double edged sword.

Next thing you know somebody will be telling YOU how to run YOUR site and claiming you don't have enough White or Latino administrators...lol.

Yeah, we pretty much are. 

I beg your pardon sir but......
Do Black men have two arms, two hands, and a brain just like White men?

If so, what's stopping us from achieving what he achieves besides the DESIRE to do so?

If some White men desire to RUN Google and use it as a tool to spy on people and practice racism while some Black men only desire to use Google to search for the closest weed dispensary...

image.png.c852d1fb41f44fa1b3997c8fd1da0f96.png

"Yeah ummm......
So what time yall close?
7 o'clock????
Damn!
But Google said yall was open 'til 10.
Ok, so what time yall open up tomorrow??"

Who's fault is that?

We don't, not really.  The Montgomery bus boycott took place almost 70 years ago.  Those strategies are no longer effective. 

What tools do we have at our disposal today?

True.
And WHY are they no longer effective?

Is it because the ENEMY has changed, or have WE changed?

Perhaps it was effective 70 years ago simply because Black folks were more UNIFIED 70 years ago.
No other reason.
And if we were JUST AS UNITED today as we were 70 years ago we would be able to achieve much much more with the technology available to us.

Tools?

Every Black person has a cell phone.
Most have computers.
Most have cars.

With just those three items....and UNITY...we could take over any major city of our choosing and establish that ideal Black Wallstreet.

My overall point is this......

When it comes to defeating racism, some things the government can't do.
They can't make a law REQUIRING Black folks stick together.
The only humans who can make this happen is US.
We can't sit up and get mad that White folks apply to and join Google and then start practicing racism when WE have the opportunity to force our way in and straighten things out.....but refuse to do so.

Too busy arguing over where Kool Herc got his flavor from...Jamaica or the Bronx.

I wonder are there any Black people in positions AT Google already to hire more Black folks and bring us in.

Man, that rarely happens, LOL!  When it does your credentials have to be impeccable.  

Google is a search engine, not in the same category as a fire arm or chemical that can cause direct harm to people and thus must be regulated.

Calling Google a search engine is like calling Amazon an online bookstore. If that is your understanding of Google there is too much that you don't know to have a meaningful conversation on the subject...  Let try this:

Are you old enough to remember Ma Bell's monopoly?  What do you think the consequence of it was?  Should the government broken it up?

Is it because the ENEMY has changed, or have WE changed?

Both.  The enemy is more organized and Black people are less organized. Don't discount unity, without it all the other stuff is of no consequence.

8 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

We can't sit up and get mad that White folks apply to and join Google and then start practicing racism when WE have the opportunity to force our way in and straighten things out.....

White folks aren't going to let that happen. 

In fact, White folks don't seek out employment in Black businesses to promote their own folks or straighten it out.

If anything, white folks will work in a Black business long enough to figure out what makes it successful. 

Those same White folks will quit that job and start their own version of the same business. 

Black folks would be better off investing in our smartest people to come up with an alternative to Google.

Black folks need to get out of the business of begging white folks for jobs, promotions and fairness and providing every crumb of their daily bread.

It's Just a matter of time before white folks pull the rip cord.

Black folks do not have an infrastructure of self-sufficiency in place. We need it badly.😎

Troy

Man, that rarely happens, LOL!  When it does your credentials have to be impeccable.

Maybe it rarely happens TODAY with AFROAMERICANS.
Keep in mind........

1. Most other ethnic groups including other Africans definitely help pull their own group into the workplace and hook them up with jobs when they can.

2. AfroAmericans USED TO do this back in the 70s and before when we were more unified as a people.
It was COMMON for Black people at a particular job to bring their friends and relatives in when they needed work.
They'd even RECOMMEND eachother to the White boss....lol.

No hiding it.

Now so many AfroAmericans are just happy to have a job themselves and afraid to lose it.....they won't even MENTION another AfroAmerican at the work place.

Many of our people are so ashamed of eachother and their silly behavior, they won't risk their own reputation bringing some weed smoking fool in from off the streets who won't keep the job long anyway.

Are you old enough to remember Ma Bell's monopoly?  What do you think the consequence of it was?  Should the government broken it up?

Yes.
And no I don't think the government should have broken it up.
I think if the government had a problem with it being too big and being the only alternative then they should have started an ALTERNATIVE to Bell.

I don't think the government should LIMIT progress.
In my opinion a company should be able to grow as large as they want AND people should be able to become as rich as they want as long as they aren't harming or intruding on the rights of others in doing so.

That's a MORAL judgement....claiming something is "too big" for their own good.

Like I said, it's a double edged sword.

The same government telling Bell or Comcast or Amaz0n that they're getting too big will next be telling YOU that YOU'RE getting too big or making too much money and need to be broken up.

ProfD

White folks aren't going to let that happen. 

We made our way into the State and Federal governments of the United States.
Is Google more powerful that THEY can stop us?

Those same White folks will quit that job and start their own version of the same business. 

True

Black folks would be better off investing in our smartest people to come up with an alternative to Google.

Facts.

But I personally believe we should be doing BOTH.

Black folks need to get out of the business of begging white folks for jobs, promotions and fairness and providing every crumb of their daily bread.

You're right.
But when it comes to CORPORATIONS....it's not so much about trying to get into "White folks businesses" because a corporation is PUBLICALLY OWNED.
So it's everyone's business.

Which means technically we DO have the right to get in, get hired, and make decisions on how it's ran.

More importantly......
It wouldn't be wise for us to totally self-segregate ourselves to our own businesses while Asians and Latinos are ushering themselves in to these major corporations to not only take our places but enter positions we have yet to attain.

I think we should enjoy the best of BOTH worlds.

6 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

AfroAmericans USED TO do this back in the 70s and before when we were more unified as a people.

Maybe for blue-collar jobs, but in the corporate world, I have never seen evidence of this at least not in my entire career.

6 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Then you may have been too young to appreciate the implications of their monopoly. If they were not broken we would still be paying $100 for a 20 minute long distance phone call and be using corded phones with rotary dial’s.

As a result of the break up, telephone calls are FAR less expensive and technological advances took off overnight.

I’ve never encountered anyone who thought monopolies were a societal good. 

I think if the government had a problem with it being too big and being the only alternative then they should have started an ALTERNATIVE to Bell.

The US was built on capitalism which has its good and bad.

The US government doesn't start businesses to compete with a free market system. That's why there's no universal healthcare.

We made our way into the State and Federal governments of the United States.

Affirmative Action helped a lot.

Is Google more powerful that THEY can stop us?

Despite being publicly traded, it's still a privately-owned company. They don't have to hire anyone.

Case in point...these college kids protesting that conflict in Israel could end up not getting a job if it can be proven that they went against the grain. 

But when it comes to CORPORATIONS....it's not so much about trying to get into "White folks businesses" because a corporation is PUBLICALLY OWNED.
So it's everyone's business.

There's a difference between a publicly traded corporation (stock exchange) and a public entity. Shareholders have a say but not the average person. 

G88gle is still privately-owned. The local library is publicly owned. Citizens have a right to sit in the library all day without paying as much as attention. 

More importantly......

It wouldn't be wise for us to totally self-segregate ourselves to our own businesses while Asians and Latinos are ushering themselves in to these major corporations to not only take our places but enter positions we have yet to attain.

Asians and Latinos have entire enclaves of businesses that belong to them. Chinatown is a great example of it.

There are a handful of Asians in high tech companies but they aren't deep in white corporations. Latinos mostly work in the labor sector.

Black folks don't have to self-segregate in order to be self-sufficient. Many of our people have been dependent on the system of racism white supremacy for so long that they wouldn't know how fish if it was a video on their smartphone. 🤣

Black folks have been trading their labor and intellectual capital to enrich others for way too long. Too many of our people are still slaves to wages.😎

Troy

Then you may have been too young to appreciate the implications of their monopoly. If they were not broken we would still be paying $100 for a 20 minute long distance phone call and be using corded phones with rotary dial’s.

Come on man, lol.

They had cell phones and touch tone phones as far back as the 70s.
This was well before the forced break up of Ma Bell in the 80s.

As a result of the break up, telephone calls are FAR less expensive and technological advances took off overnight.

I’ve never encountered anyone who thought monopolies were a societal good

It's not about being "good" for society or bad.
It's business.

Money is like energy.....it...in and of itself...is neither good nor bad but how you USE it.

If Comcast or Bell or any other company actually made laws PREVENTING other individuals from entering the same businesses as them...that's one thing.
They're not.

They are doing what they are SUPPOSED to do which is grow as big as they can and get as much money as they can.

Again....
If the government doesn't like it then THEY should provide and alternative.

I said the same thing during the Obama Care debate.
People hollering and crying over how the insurance companies are ripping people off and not providing good coverage, but they don't want to support "government" healthcare or Universal Health Care.

Instead of telling private companies what to do and OVER regulating them, just provide and alternative and let people CHOOSE.

ProfD

The US was built on capitalism which has its good and bad.

Facts.

The US government doesn't start businesses to compete with a free market system. That's why there's no universal healthcare.

A.  The government actually DID start businesses to compete with the private industry.....back in the Roosevelt Administration.

They were call the New Deal and WPA and they provided JOBS for people with GOOD PAY not only to help people but to provide healthy competition to the private sector who were working the shit out of people with little pay.

They also built housing for free and at affordable rates to compete with the private housing sector who wasn't meeting the needs of the people.

So the government CAN and DOES start businesses and industries when it WANTS to.

B. There's no Universal Healthcare in this nation for two reasons:

1. The insurance companies are PAYING the politicians to keep it off the table.

2. Most White folks don't like the idea of Black and Brown people getting free healthcare with "their" tax money.

image.png.ea8fbdbb3cdc4ea7eac951caff399bee.png

"What's the purpose of trying to KILL OFF the niggers if we're just gonna to pay for 'um to go to the hospital  and get well again?
Geeeeez!"

There's a difference between a publicly traded corporation (stock exchange) and a public entity. Shareholders have a say but not the average person. 

G88gle is still privately-owned. The local library is publicly owned. Citizens have a right to sit in the library all day without paying as much as attention. 

Thanks for reminding me of the difference.
When talking about corporations I keep mistakenly conflating the share holders with the general public.

BTW...lol...what's with you encrypting "Google"????? 

Asians and Latinos have entire enclaves of businesses that belong to them. Chinatown is a great example of it.

Yes.
Many of them have their own neighborhoods and businesses AND they apply to work for predominately White businesses as well so they can learn how they operate and bring that knowledge back home to their communities.

Black folks don't have to self-segregate in order to be self-sufficient. Many of our people have been dependent on the system of racism white supremacy for so long that they wouldn't know how fish if it was a video on their smartphone. 🤣

Lol....
A lot of Black folks don't learn how to become self sufficient until they are FORCED to.
Let being abruptly fired or layed off from a job they've held for 30 years.
Or having such a bad criminal record that nobody will hire them so they're FORCED to get out and "do for self" as best they can.

....and discover they actually do better on their own!

Black folks have been trading their labor and intellectual capital to enrich others for way too long. Too many of our people are still slaves to wages.

While you're right and a lot of Black people know this, they also understand WHY this is too.....lol.

They've come to realize that while a lot of our people have the TALENT and SKILL, many don't have the DISCIPLINE that comes from working under White folks.

Oh yes, they may be EXCELLENT cooks, tailors, builders, musicians, CPA's, computer programmers, etc...
But don't want to get up early.
Don't want to make appointments or keep the appointments they do make.
Don't have good customer service skills and quick to cuss somebody out over something minor.

Nicca don't have a bank account.
Like Fred Sanford, he does his financial trading at the corner LIQUOR STORE.

How many Soul Food joints you've been to where the food was so good it gave you an instant erection....lol...but every other time you went there they were OUT of the food you love!!!

Or they were CLOSED 4 days out of a 7 day week....lol.

How you go be running a fish and seafood joint....but steady OUT OF FISH every weekend?????

But the Chinese are almost NEVER out of the food you want!
Notice that?
Go to any Chinese place and order the craziest thing on the menu....and they GOT IT and will have it ready in 5 minutes!

Plenty of talent....but no discipline.

Just not fit to own their own business.

Need a White man standing over them with a stick in his hand to keep them in line....lol.

If you understand THIS, then you'll understand why so many multimillionaire Black entertainers often end up dying BROKE while their White agents and producers who make far less money often end up not only dying wealthy but have wealth to PASS DOWN to future generations.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

They are doing what they are SUPPOSED to do which is grow as big as they can and get as much money as they can.

A monopoly keeps other businesses from getting off the ground. It runs counter to a free market system.

Microsoft had become a monopoly until the government got involved. 

A.  The government actually DID start businesses to compete with the private industry.....back in the Roosevelt Administration.

They were call the New Deal and WPA and they provided JOBS for people with GOOD PAY not only to help people but to provide healthy competition to the private sector who were working the shit out of people with little pay.

So the government CAN and DOES start businesses and industries when it WANTS to.

The government (state, local and federal) provides jobs and housing and other benefits but it doesn't start businesses.

IOW, government doesn't produce and sell products, goods and services. It buys from the free market like everybody else.

BTW...lol...what's with you encrypting "Google"????? 

I try to keep the monopolies from using my posts to generate revenue. 😁

Black businesses face a number of hurdles in order to succeed. Black folks always have to better than their competitors.

That's why it's important that Black folks become more self-sufficient and vertically integrate in order to lift each other especially in order to build generational wealth. 😎

• Thanks 1

ProfD

A monopoly keeps other businesses from getting off the ground. It runs counter to a free market system.

EVERY business is a monopoly when it's the first or only one initially, before another one is established.

Is it the monopoly itself that prevents other businesses from getting off the ground....
or is it the EXCESSIVE LAWS and FEES and LICENSING that prevents other businesses from getting off the ground because they can't afford to cut through the excessive red tape?

The government (state, local and federal) provides jobs and housing and other benefits but it doesn't start businesses.

IOW, government doesn't produce and sell products, goods and services. It buys from the free market like everybody else.

So the public housing authorities in most major cities around the nation wasn't started by and owned by the government?

The public transportation systems in major cities around the nation weren't started by and owned by those governments?

The U.S. military ITSELF is a business.
Literally.

It buys and sells items and services.

Come on man.....
As I said before, the government does INDEED start businesses when they WANT to.

NOW it mostly buys and contracts out from already established businesses as a way to avoid affirmative action and anti-discrimination laws.
So many right-wingers and Republicans were complaining about the amount of Black folks in government jobs; they found a way to get around it by just contracting services out to PRIVATE companies who don't have the same diversity standards.
But that's by CHOICE.

That's why it's important that Black folks become more self-sufficient and vertically integrate in order to lift each other especially in order to build generational wealth.

While you're absolutely right.....
Black individuals can't WAIT on it and put their own personal success on hold.

image.png.4107988ca75d6875cac640227deffa91.png

......sitting up here waiting on Black folks collectively to "get it together" and start lifting eachother up to build generational wealth.

Lol.

You gotta eat TODAY.

The rent is due TODAY.

If you need work and have talent and there are no Black businesses available for you to express your gifts....you should be able to put in an application for a corporate or government position and make a good living.

On 11/11/2023 at 8:24 AM, Pioneer1 said:

EVERY business is a monopoly when it's the first or only one initially, before another one is established.

Not quite. A business cannot if there is no competition or threat of it.

public housing authorities

public transportation systems

Government agencies. Not businesses. They don't produce and/or sell anything in competition with free market.

The U.S. military ITSELF is a business.
Literally.

It buys and sells items and services.

The US military provides security services around the world but it doesn't sell anything for profit. 

NOW it mostly buys and contracts out from already established businesses...

The government prints money and spreads it throughout the economy.

Black individuals can't WAIT on it and put their own personal success on hold.

You gotta eat TODAY.

The rent is due TODAY.

Absolutely. One has to do whatever it takes in order to survive. 😎