Antitrust lawsuit filed against Amazon

For those who don't understand why monopolies are bad for people, this article in Publishers Weekly, might help. 

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bookselling/article/93662-taking-a-closer-look-at-the-ftc-lawsuit-against-amazon.html?oly_enc_id=6133D7773501B8Z

Again, Amazon's monopoly has resulted in higher prices for consumers and lower profits for producers.

@Pioneer1let me know what you think.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, the bald owner with the new biceps has relocated to Miami.

I'm sure that Latina love in his life was a motivating factor in his makeover.  Cue up Oaktown 3-5-7:

Juicy got Jeff B. looking for the fountain of youth.  Regardless, no amount of money can buy it.🤣😎

Troy

My position remains the same.

I don't want the Government (Federal, State, or Local) breaking up or limiting businesses PERIOD.

The only thing they should be doing to companies is making sure all products are safe and making sure all contracts are honored.

THAT'S IT.

Other than that, stay the hell out of people's business.

The same laws they're using to "punish" Amaz0n or Walmart or Cheveron can be used against YOU.

...and with far more devastating consequences since you don't have the money to ride it out like they do.

Let companies grow as they wish and let the consumer decide as they wish.

9 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

My position remains the same.

I know, you've never changed your mind -- that is a characteristic you should look into 😉

9 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

The same laws they're using to "punish" Amaz0n or Walmart or Cheveron can be used against YOU.

Bustin' out laughing!  Dude relatively speaking the government comes down much harder on small business than they do the likes of an Amazon.  You don't have to look any farther than our tax code.  You so worried about protecting Amazon's freedom to create monopolies, and how, in some alternative reality, that protects small business tells me you have never run a business, particularly one dominated by a monopoly 😉

Troy

Man, you sure are getting snippy in this conversation......lol.

Dude relatively speaking the government comes down much harder on small business than they do the likes of an am*zon.  You don't have to look any farther than our tax code. 

And who's fault is that?
Is it the fault of the so-called monopoly...or the fault of those who made the unfair laws and enforce them unfairly?

Seems to me you should be more angry are the LAWS and those who made them than at the businesses who are taking advantage of them.

Did Amaz0n make the tax code?
Or were the made by corrupt politicians in order to take advantage of those who didn't have the legal support and knowledge to get around them?

I support FREEDOM.
I think the government should STAY OUT of people's economic affairs one way or the other.
A flat tax across the board of no more than 10% and minimal regulations and licensing.

And unlike Republican conservatives who just CLAIM to believe this but legislate otherwise, I really DO believe this is the best model to promote business growth.

If  a sista wants to start a hair braiding business in her basement, all she needs is a couple hours class on properly sanitizing her equipment and a EIN number and she's ready to start making money.

10 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Is it the fault of the so-called monopoly...or the fault of those who made the unfair laws

Who is behind all the laws?

10 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Did Amaz0n make the tax code?

Do you know what a lobbyist does?

your understanding of how businesses operate is surprisingly parochial.

Who is this using @Pioneer1’s  account and where did you hide him? 

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2023 at 8:15 AM, Pioneer1 said:

Man, you sure are getting snippy in this conversation......lol.

Really, what came across snippy? Was it my reaction to your incorrigibly 😉

check out this podcast, I’m sure it will not chance @Pioneer1’s mind but it will give you some insight into Amazon’s monopolistic practices.

These are things that the general customer would be oblivious to, but that does not mean no is is being done. I’ll only aware of singer of these issues because I’ve been dealing with Amazon for more than 20 years.

On the Media: FTC chair Lina Khan is Kicking Ass and Taking Names

Amazon has slowly been inserting itself into seemingly every facet of our lives. All the while using its status as a monopoly in the market to squash competition, take advantage of its users and skew prices for everyone. At the end of our series Doctorow described how he has hope in among other people, Lina Khan, the chair of the Federal Trade Commission. 

Says Khan; “Amazon has actually quietly been hiking prices for consumers in ways that are not always clearly visible but at the end of the day can result in consumers paying billions of dollars more than they would if there was actually competition in the market.” 

In this midweek episode, we are airing a conversation our colleague and host of the New Yorker Radio Hour, David Remnick had with Lina Khan about her plan to sue Amazon for violating antitrust laws. 

On 11/15/2023 at 2:34 PM, Troy said:

Lina Khan about her plan to sue am*zon for violating antitrust laws. 

It will be interesting to see if the company gets away with paying fines and/or if they will be forced to loosen up their monopoly. 😎