National Book Award Finalists Oppose the Ongoing Bombardment of Gaza

I learned today that at least two sponsors pulled out of this event, because they got advance notice that the authors were planning to make an "antisemitic" statement during the event. 

One of the sponsors described the reasoning on Subsdtack (worth reading).  Interestingly, the boycotter, Zibby Ownes wanted to prevent the authors from saying anything is the daughter of a Billionaire, Stephen Schwarzman CEO of the Blackstone Group!

The statement was almost milquetoast -- far from antisemitic.  Maybe being delivered by a Black Muslim woman (Aaliyah Bilal) -- made it scary.  I hope Zibby saw fit to admit she overreacted.

Hear is Aaliyah (with her mom) the evening she delivered her "antisemitic remarks."

Click for more photos from the National Book Award

I read the article, she said hate speech isn't free speech, which of course is a simple lie. Free speech includes all speech. If free speech doesn't include all speech then it isn't free speech. 

And in the comments to the article, someone who said they are jewish disagreed with her reasoning. 

I remember Richard Pryor did a stand up at an event led by bett midler and in it he called it like it is to many in the white lgbtq or white jewish communities. I recall when Sammy davis jr wasn't invited to catholic john f kennedy's inaugural party. And   again, WEB DUbois went to court and spoke against Marcus Garvey. I even learned recently that 67% of the ticket buyers to the Marvels were men, so women didn't even show up to see the marvels movie more than men when the movie is clearly aimed at women's empowerment. 

My point. 

The populace in the usa has a problem, I argue a problem made at its very founding. The problem is a more complicated set of communities exist side each other than the usa's government or media or people themselves are willing to admit. 

8 hours ago, richardmurray said:

she said hate speech isn't free speech,

Is that a quote, 'cause she did not say that in the 40 sec statement I shared?

Hate speech would of course, by definition, be encompassed it free speech. 

Speech in American isn't free either.  We enjoy more liberties than some other countries, but folks are cancelled all the time for something the said.  Mark Lamont Hill was cancelled for saying "from the river to the sea." As a PhD I have to believe he knew was that phase connotes.  Now he is on Al Jazeera, where the "free Speech" isn'tcomplete free, just different.

• Like 1

@Troy

no it is an implication, here is here quote

After our talk, I wrote back to Ruth saying:

"I am deeply saddened to hear that all hate speech will be allowed and that there is no recourse planned for any inflammatory remarks should they occur, nor any preventative measures being taken. I believe deeply in free speech, but not hate speech.

Here is the link tot he substack you shared

https://zibbyowens.substack.com/p/why-zibby-media-pulled-out-of-the

yes i concur, no government has ever accepted 100% free speech in human history

I did say i read the article:)