If you are a DOSer, why did your forebears leave the south?

If you move back to the south and a white person kills someone in the city you live in the south, what do you do?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. If applicable, did a grandparent ever speak highly of the southern town they were from, most of the time?

• yes
    • no

I am fortunate, I know my parents parents story.  I know the partial story of my parents/parents/parents. 

Charles Blow talks about black people moving back to the south, the article is linked below. But for me he dysfunctionally misses the motivation for most blacks.

Yes, black people were and are financially poorer than whites in the usa, but black people fled the south because of whites. 

I will never forget the fortune of speaking to a family friend who said all the women in his black town was raped by white men, all, and yes, he was high yella. 

Black people in modernity love to talk about hanging or death or electrocution when it comes to the past. But, while the african american museum has an artwork for the number of hangings, is their enough space for an artwork representing the number of sexual violations by whites to blacks, all gender? IS their enough space for an artwork representing all the limbs whites took off black bodies? 

If you are a black DOSer and you want to live in the southern states, that is your business, but please refrain from suggesting black people in the past were simply in idyllic towns with the only harm of fiscal poverty about them. You don't need to lie about the past to make a future in spite of the past. 

And to that end, I said in this community black people in the usa need a party of governance. I emailed Blow my thoughts, his email is in the bottom link below. But, I don't comprehend how black people like him can call on black people to move back into the south and yet have no support for a black party of governance. 

After all the history in the usa, including obama, black people actually think if they had the majority populace in a state in the union that either donkeys or elephants should be the party that black elected representatives utilize? 

Seems silly to me. 

@ProfD plus @Pioneer1 discuss jonathan majors and how black people in government didn't help him.but again, i know of members of the donkeys or elephants in nyc who are non black while also people of color, they don't help their own. AOC isn't lifting the puerto rican community in the bronx. Asian elected officials didn't protect asian business from federal attacks during the covid. The one thing that troubles me is how black people actually think non blacks help their own , in nyc, they do not. And that explains why all the populaces seem , as media states, unconcerned. blacks + non blacks don't engage with the government cause all, ALL, the elected officials, from all the races do nothing. 

Black people's only flaw is many of us seem to think that non blacks are performing miracles for their communities, when they are not. 

article

https://aalbc.com/tc/profile/6477-richardmurray/?status=2549&type=status

Both of our Parents were from the South.

They spoke fondly of it on occasion, but I didn't hear them sit around wishing they could go back.

richardmurray

The one thing that troubles me is how black people actually think non blacks help their own , in nyc, they do not. And that explains why all the populaces seem , as media states, unconcerned. blacks + non blacks don't engage with the government cause all, ALL, the elected officials, from all the races do nothing. 

Black people's only flaw is many of us seem to think that non blacks are performing miracles for their communities, when they are not. 

Well if that's the ONLY thing that troubles you.....you're a fortunate man, lol.

It really depends on the community.
Some communities are more unified and aggressive in supporting their own than others.

Puerto Ricans and many Native American communities are MORE divided against eachother than AfroAmericans.
But when it comes to most East Asian, Arab, and Jewish communities...they tend to be more unified and on code with eachother.

@Pioneer1

Having a calm mind is fortunate. I wish it for all black people. 

Yes, compare or contrast are always arguable and human communities when large enough have communities within themselves, and sometimes communities within communities within communities. and in all that some are more positive or more negative. But, I don't think it is unfair to say that black people in the usa  in multilog with ourselves tend to have more who make other communities out to be seamless communities of peace, when it simply isn't true. NYC is the proof. All communities in nyc today are dysfunctional, dysfunctional defined as lacking power or organization or guidance to their betterment, it is that simple. 

I shared the thing about the white jewish schools in nyc being sued, a  white jewish woman started that legal procedure, it wasn't a government thing. And i think she is right. Like the black populace in nyc's elected officials, who do nothing in my opinion for the betterment of the black populace in nyc, the white jewish clergy in nyc are maintaining a  brainwashing scheme on their own people, enslaving their own people to the scheme of their leadership. I call that slavery. and east asians are enslaving their own too. In the last few years, one of the asian mafia operations was found out in nyc, but it wasn't because the city government was investigating. it was because the health department had to step in. the asian mafia for some reason thought you can fit 100 human beings in an apartment and not cause a health disaster. The children who have died in meth operations covered as daycare's were all latino. LAtino children were murdered by the unconcern of latinos, committing illegal activities. The black elected officials in NYC are not helping the black populace in nyc well enough in m view BUT they aren't brainwashing black children like white jewish priest are doing white jewish, they are not getting kids killed being uncaring like latino illegal actors are doing to latino children, they are not treating black people like enslaved folk before the war between the states like the asian mob. I just think the black populace in the usa has problems, but I Do think too many black people in the black populace in the usa utter a lie that the black populace is the worst off internally. I oppose that sentiment. Black people in the usa are not doing as many negatives as the non black, it is time for black people in the usa to simply state that truth. 

Both of my parents permanently left he south in the late 50's.  Neither ever had an interest in going back. My dad grew up impoverished and my mother was raised on a farm --  life styles they were both happy to leave behind. 

Combined they left 19 siblings, none of whom ever moved north of the Mason Dixon line.  They most left rural southern location and closer to southen cities, Raliegh, Shreveport, Atlanta, Charlotte.  Ultimately, the majority of my parents siblings fared much better in life.  My parents never owned a home, car, took vacations, or had luxuries of any kind, but my sister and I always had a roof over our head, never went hungry, and we both graduated from college.

It is not likely I will ever move north again. I would need some serious paper to even consider it.

richardmurray

Sure every community has it's SHARE of dysfunction, but as I said before some are  more dysfunctional than others.  And when we're comparing communities, the more specific we are the more accurate we will be.

When we compare "Blacks" with "Latinos" with "Jews".....it is vary discombobulated and imbalanced leading to a lot of inaccuracies and misconceptions.

Let me give you a few examples of what I'm talking about.....

When you compare AfroAmericans in the Nation of Islam with the average White American.
AfroAmericans in the NOI tend to be healthier, law abiding, and financially progressive.

When you say Latino....
Unlike most of the rest of the nation, in New York (atleast it used to be) most of the Latinos are of African decent.
So they tend to have the same problems of lack of unity and low self esteem that AfroAmericans have.
Even more to a certain extent because they didn't have the Black Pride and Black Power movements in Latin America that we had here, so many of them are still ashamed of their Blackness.

In New York, Jews have their own hospitals, ambulances, and private police...do AfroAmericans or Latinos?

Some communities are far more functional than others.

Troy

What part of the South were your parents from?