Formerly Enslaved Black Man's Letter to His Ex-enslaver

Troy

You don't believe the Willie Lynch Letter was authentic, but you believe an ex-slave and his master became pen pals....lol.

The first thing that got me about this presentation was wondering when enslaved people learned how to read and write.
I know A FEW did, but it wasn't very common.

The second thing was, presuming that the Col. was an officer in the Confederate Military.....why would he dignify his ex-slave by actually writing him a letter?

Me personally, once I got away from that devil I'd have broken off ALL contact with him....except if I planned on sneaking back down to take care of unfinished "business".
Other than that, I wouldn't be sending him mail and receiving letters from him so he could potentially track me down.

Whether real or not, the letter is hilarious when the ex-slave runs the numbers and details how much cash he and his wife need to receive in order to return. Checkmate. 🤣😎

It is not a matter of my personal belief, there is ample documentation to prove the Willy Lynch letter is an authentic @Pioneer1.

not only was a formally enslaved brother literate he was extremely articulate and was good at math. The letter is dated August 1865. He was presumably freed shortly after the war ended in April of the same year any acquired all of these skills in a matter of months? That is why I said the brother must be a genius.

In my opinion, and exchange like this seems highly unlikely. Now I don’t know if the letter was even presented as being written by an ex-slave at the event. I looked at the information provided with the YouTube video and it is indeed presented as an authentic letter.

Jourdon Anderson, the former slave, escaped an 1864 they don’t say what month, but presumably he had a year to learn to write. However, it was said the letter was dictated, so that gets beyond the requirement to write, but it does not explain the vocabulary.

It also does not explain how to general knew where to even send the letter. 

It is no doubt, humorous and powerful letter. I’m just not 100% convinced it is real.