I just want equal consideration

Hello, my fellow black writers. I’m a recent graduate (June 2017) of Full Sail University with a Bachelor’s degree for Creative Writing in Entertainment. I write character-driven drama films focused around the young black man to give our society a different viewpoint of who we are and to show that we’re living humans like everyone else.

I introduce myself to you all on here in frustration. I feel that I’m not being given fair consideration when it comes to the writing jobs out there. Here it is November again, I’ve been looking for a writing job since last November. And don’t mean I’m just out her trying to zap a screenwriting career, I mean me securing a writing job where I can contribute my strengths. Whether creative writer position, scriptwriter position, things in that realm.

Between that time, all the way up to now (and pending), I have contacted nearly 240 companies everywhere (areas in the US and the UK), and I have been shunned, more of no one responding than anything else. And ones that do respond say, “you have good quality writing,” but it didn’t lead to a job, it led to some excuse why I wouldn’t be a fit. Or I’m offered an unpaid internship to fly somewhere else (like, I’m oppressed). The little spending money I did have were from school loans that I must start paying on this month. But, I don’t have any money now because I haven’t been given any consideration a writing job. Yes, I know I could go back to the $7.50 an hour KFC job out there, but what does that do for me? Why do we always have to be held to that?

And recently I found two writing jobs that I was perfect for. It’s been seven weeks for one, and over four weeks for the other. My applications weren't not even looked at. That’s been the case this whole time, no one is even really looking at my material or application, so I can’t be considered for nothing like that. I know it takes some months to hear back about screenplays, but does it really take the same time for a writing job, too?

I know I’m a young black man, and I’m proud of that. I’m not ashamed of the fact that my material is based around black people, that’s my background. You write what you know. And I can’t help I’m a millennial, it just happened and I’m living in the era. I hear these comments about people not wanting to hire millennials because we feel entitled. To be clear:

I’ve been working at my craft for nearly seven years now. I’ve spent many hours sitting down and writing, failing, rewriting, failing, venting, and repeat. I’ve sacrificed years of my youth, I’m still sacrificing years of my youth. I don’t feel entitled because I feel like something should be handed to me. Every trophy I’ve ever won, I threw them away because I don’t go by that mentality anymore. I feel entitled because I have worked my ass off and come of age as a writer. I feel that I am qualified based off my work, not because I feel entitled.

I’m just fed up. What is the use of all this hard work I’m putting in if I can’t even get someone to view my application, or consider a screenplay of mine.

I understand that other like-minded black creatives are on here. I have been trying to get my material or apply to black-owned companies, but I couldn’t find any. I don’t mean to sound desperate, but please. Is there someone you know that would be willing to give me consideration? I’m asking for a handout, I’m just asking to have to the chance to be legitimately considered  for writing work.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hi,  Antonio,

Have you checked in your personal network?  Have you sounded the alarm to let your friends, family and associates no what you are looking for and where and what you want to do?  Have you asked them if they know someone who knows someone who can get you the "hook-up" ... Creative writing jobs are a lot easier to come by from people you know in the business.  

I never went after a writing job per se - but I am a professional writer.  My writing jobs have always been connected to the needs of an employer.  My creative writing pursuits have always been freelance - such as writing a book, news commentary et al.  Those opportunities have always come from my professional and personal network.  People who knew me hooked me up with the gig.  Sometimes it was a paid gig sometimes it was high-profile  publications such as being featured in major newspaper or a major magazine.        The clips are worth the "free" write. Be mindful not to write for free unless you own the platform or  it's for a major publication.   Ta-Nehisi Coates  reported here he has written for free "for the exposure"   

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/03/lucrative-work-for-free-opportunity/273846/

As he discusses in the piece, I definitely recommend writing on your blog to get exposure and growing your network to include influencers.   

Side note: It's been my experience, words are powerful and they influence your trajectory. I've never asked for "equal consideration" I've asked for top or the highest consideration.  I don't feel there's anyone equal to me when it comes to my talents and skills.  And I make sure that those who are in the position to make a difference in my career know it.  

Much success.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, Mel. The thing is, amongst my small circle of writer friends in Full Sail regarding my specific field and what I’m seeking, I've been that person with the connections, lol (and sadly, nobody really utilized it, they just listen to the instructors, you know?). A lot of the friends I had just started writing, I started this six years ago. So, I was doing all the research, got connected on stage 32 and build some connections with professionals (I've emailed people on there, they just didn't respond). Yeah, that's been another problem, the people I know that are professionals, they always seem to disappear in these moments. I'm ignored or forgotten about. And don't know what it is, but it just seems like no one wants to make an effort to be a mentor, unless you're paying them, or it's to their benefit some kind of way. And the people that I've been in contact with that could have been very helpful, they've brushed me off.

And kudos to you for sustaining as a working writer. That's admirable to hear. And I will definitely take the blog into consideration. You're the second person that's told me that (girlfriend told me yesterday). I think I can do something with that. I'm bold, unapologetic, And I speak with facts, not envy. If I do it, it can't be about me finding exposure, it must be about people like me as a whole getting exposure.

And I get what you're saying. I'm not settling for equal, I just said the meaning I deserve to the consideration of being read, of being acknowledged. Our philosophies are just a little different there, but that's fine. We just display our confidence in different ways.

Thank you very much for sharing your insight. And again, I will consider the blog idea.

• Like 1

Writing is a very lonely profession not to mention being a very crowded and competitive one.   It's like the NBA where only a chosen few make it to the pros.  Your one consolation is that you are not alone.  The world is full of talented writers who don't get lucky.

Community theater may be a venue to have your plays produced and performed. This might  lead to something bigger or at least give you some exposure and a little self satisfaction.

Sometimes, just when you think all is lost and you switch your focus, Fate steps in and you become an "overnight success".  The stuff of dreams. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As someone who has paid many writers over the years.  I've never asked a writer to write something for free.  If they offer that is another thing--even then I provide some form reciprocity.  It is just how we do in my community.

Now having a piece in the Atlantic is a big deal for a writer, but seriously, The Atlantic should be ashamed of themselves for saying they can't pay--sure they can pay they just chose not to pay that writer.

You see when publications get big, and writers get desperate, they will write for free (exposure).  The Huffington Post famously took advantage of this imbalance by not paying their bloggers as part of there business model.  Of course Ariana began fantastically rich and the writers got left with a HuffPo byline.

When writers write for large publications for free they actually make it harder for all writers to earn a living, because they reduce the value of their work in the market place.

I wrote an article the same year as The Atlantic article above “5 Things Writers Must Do To Survive Online.”  One of the 5 things was don't write for wealthy sites for free.  It also depresses wages for all writers by making it impossible for smaller publication to survive, because that can not compete against the likes of The Atlantic who can get writers to write for free.

I know publishers of several magazine --all defunct--who complained that writers would reject the paltry sums their magazines offered to pay, meanwhile these same writers fought to write for Ariana for free.

All that said, if I were a writer looking to make a name for myself today, I'd have to take the offer of writing for The Atlantic for free--at least once.  You can't change the world by yourself.  But I would absolute retain the copyright for ANYTHING I gave someone for free.  That where i draw the line.  

@Antonio Ingram, I would network and get to know other writers and those in related professions.  Get to know people many if not most opportunities in any career emerge because of who you know.  Join a scriptwriter organization (surely there is one). Consider unpaid internship, volunteer if no opportunity exists and work a 2nd job to pay the bills.  

If you don't have a Blog start one.  If you are going to write for someone for free, let it be yourself. Even though it is harder than ever to attract readers their is not better way to make you work available to others.  Besides, if you are able to generate some traffic you can earn a living with a Blog.  On my list of the top 50 Black owned websites several are blogs--all of them should generate enough revenue for someone to live on and some do far better.  

Earning a living writing is HARD. But if it is what you love and you have some talent you can make it work. 

• Like 2

Hey, Troy. Yes, I have been warned about taking writing jobs for free. I'm not in favor of that at all, especially right now. And I'll be sure to check out your article.

And yeah, I have a stage 32 profile (like a Facebook for writers, directors, ect in the film, television, and theater industries). I've managed to build networks with peers, professionals and up and comers. The problem on that site is, it's not hardly any black ones on there. And that's been another issue. I've been looking for black screenwriter’s organization, but the ones I found were outdated and basically nonexistent. They are the ones that will be able to help me, they are the one that should want to help me. Where I'm from, I'm like the only one that's pursuing something like this, lol. I just mean not a lot of young blacks want to do this. That was one of the reasons why I came on here, I thought I might find some like-minded writers in my realm on here.

And yes, I'm looking into that. You mark the third person who has told me. I was already sold when two black women told me, I cherish the black woman's insight.

Thank you very much for the insight and the links.  I'll continue to push forward.

1 hour ago, Antonio Ingram said:

Thank you very much for the incite and the links.

Antonio, the word should be "insight", not "incite".  Little errors like, are red flags in submission cover letters.

1 hour ago, Antonio Ingram said:

You mark the third person that's told me

Tidy up your syntax, too, babe.  This sentence reads betters as; "you make the third person who has told me".  Just an observation.  

Your writing has a conversational tone, so being a playwright is probably your forte.

BTW, "Cynique" is my  screen name, not my given one.  :)

• Like 1

It's not so much that millenials feel "entitled".....I think what they feel is a NORMAL reaction to a world of injustice.

I think the Millenials were born to finish what the Baby Boom generation WANTED to get done but the Generation X'ers messed up....lol.

The Baby Boomers fought for a lot of rights and priveldges in society that we still enjoy today.
They challenged the system, got out in the street, and FOUGHT for those rights and priveledges.

But a lot of right-wing conservatives came along in the 80s and TRICKED the next generation ....which would be Generation X....into believing that these rights and priveledges were bad and corrupt and undeserved.
So Generation X'ers grew up feeling that no one "owed" them anything and that they should tolerate all types of injustice without complaining.
As a result they lost a lot of their rights, wages went down, and living conditions deteriorated because of Generation X's refusal to confront the powers that be.

Now the Millenials are coming of age and looking at their parents...Generation X....and wondering what was all the sacrifice and hard work and "not complaining" good for.

They're starting to take to the streets again and demand more respect and benefits.

They're basically finishing where the Baby Boom generation left off.

And they're angry because of the mess that their parents (Generation X) LEFT for them to clean up.

• Like 1

@Pioneer1 You are giving the Babyboomers credit for what my generation, the Depression Babies, accomplished.  At the height of the civil rights movement and barrier breaking during the mid 1950s and all through the 60s, Babyboomers were children.  We passed the torch to the Babyboomers who barely kept it burning.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Cynique, Regarding the Baby Boomers ABSOLUTELY.

@Antonio Ingram, don't sleep on the White organization. Every job on Wall Street that I ever got was because of white folks. I know it is a different industry, but I'm sure it is not much different.  One day when you are in a position of power perhaps you'll change that. If you do you will be making a much needed change.

• Like 2

Cynique

The Depression Generation were part of the problem....lol.

Infact, THEY were the some of the ones that the Baby Boomers were fighting against!

Generation X is a lot like the Depression Era generation in many ways.
Overworked, taken advantage of, brainwashed, and refuse to stand up to the system that exploited them.

But the Millenials are "sort of" like the Baby Boomer generation in that they don't want to turn out like their parents and they want a "new" way.
But I say "sort of" because although the anger and frustration is there, there is too much substance abuse and I don't see them as focused on a common enemy as the Boomers were.

Troy

Every job on Wall Street that I ever got was because of white folks.

Well, that answers atleast ONE of the questions I put to you in the other thread....lol.

Delano

So true Troy. It wasn't about my colo
ur just green.

Yeah, I've heard THAT tired line over and over again.....lol.

If you think that your clients could care less about your race as long as you were making them money......
Start dating one of their daughters or sisters and you'll find out quickly how little the "green" you made them really mattered.

Sure they don't mind you helping them to make money.
That makes THEM richer.

But you still knew your place and didn't cross the line.

• Like 1

Pioneer no one is shooting at me in Australia. Travel outside of the USA will broaden your perspective. 

In other parts of the world black music style or admired and copied. I have had the opportunity to talk to both white and black people from other countries. 

You sound like you're living in massa's  Fish Bowl. You're view points is alien to me. I used to think Troy was using you as his alter ego. Since I am continually astounded by your statements. 

• Thanks 1

Delano

You're view points is alien to me.

"You're" view points "is" alien ?????

Shouldn't that read:

YOUR view points ARE alien ?????

You may be good at math, but you suck at grammar..lol.

Perhaps English is your 2nd language.
That would explain why what I say sounds so "alien" to you....lol.

Australia is a racist nation that was founded by White Supremacists.
It was founded off of murder......murder of the Aboriginees who were people of color.

Infact, most of the founders and early settlers of Australia was violent criminals from England.

But enough with the history lessons.
My point is, you went around looking to White people for your success.

So it's not about the "green"....it's about the WHITES who makes the green.

Here let me school you. I went to white schools. And I was verbally and physically. So up until I was 16 I didn't like white people. 

I have met white racist that we could have a conversation. I have also met liberal unconscious white racist. And there are a few white people that are respectful and conscious when talking about race with me. 

I have heard black people who are Pan African but want to dominate women . I have heard black people say I'm a person first and black second. I have heard black people who sound like white racists. 

Then there are black people that acknowledge the game is rigged. Put on their A game. Takeep what they need out of the white world. Then take off their armor when they get home.

So I'll simplif you this. I am am outsider and I am not interested in being an insider. I just want a few outsiders to hang with me.

I am not trying to fit Any boxes. 

• Thanks 1

Delano

Here let me school you. I went to white schools. And I was verbally and physically. So up until I was 16 I didn't like white people.

And your point is?

Where EVER the hell you went to school.....they didn't teach you proper grammar,  LOL.

I have met white racist that we could have a conversation. I have also met liberal unconscious white racist. And there are a few white people that are respectful and conscious when talking about race with me.

I have heard black people who are Pan African but want to dominate women . I have heard black people say I'm a person first and black second. I have heard black people who sound like white racists.

OK......
So you've met a diverse group of people and now realize.....like me and most other people over 40.....that human beings can BE and THINK in any combination of ways.

Again, what's your point?

Or how does it relate to what I just said about YOU chasing after White people to get money?

So I'll simplif you this. I am am outsider and I am not interested in being an insider. I just want a few outsiders to hang with me.

If you were an "outsider" you wouldn't have been successful in college and SURE wouldn't have been successful on Wall Street.....both require being an insider who has a proper understanding and relationship with the "system".

I am not trying to fit Any boxes.

A stock broker who reads palms and does astrology readings on the side....

I don't think they MAKE boxes with a size and shape that would fit you....lol.

7 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

The Depression Generation were part of the problem....lol.

Infact, THEY were the some of the ones that the Baby Boomers were fighting against!

Generation X is a lot like the Depression Era generation in many ways.
Overworked, taken advantage of, brainwashed, and refuse to stand up to the system that exploited them.

But the Millenials are "sort of" like the Baby Boomer generation in that they don't want to turn out like their parents and they want a "new" way.
But I say "sort of" because although the anger and frustration is there, there is too much substance abuse and I don't see them as focused on a common enemy as the Boomers were.

Words of "wizzdom" from Pioneer who undoubtedly holds multiple mail order degrees in sociology, science,  anthropology,  and history all of which make him an expert on nothing but his imagined scenarios. 

i was talking specifically about the MLK-led civil rights movement during the '50s and '60s, comprised of a segment of the population made up of both blacks and whites, people of good faith with their eyes on the prize,  who grew up during the depression era, and came together to break down racial barriers.  They made progress in doing this and paved the way for succeeding black generations starting with the baby boomers.   You can't obscure this reality with your myopic observations. And your penchant for stating these opinion as facts is what voids everything else you assert about the succeeding generations based on your mixing specifics with generalities.  You're just spouting off, speaking the language that is the native tongue in the skewed world that exists inside your head. But we've all learned to expect this from you, so drone on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cynique said:

Words of "wizzdom" from Pioneer who undoubtedly holds multiple mail order degrees in sociology, science,  anthropology,  and history all    You can't obscure this reality with your myopic observations. And your penchant for stating these opinion as facts is what voids everything else you assert about the succeeding generations based on your mixing specifics with generalities.  You're just spouting off, speaking the language that is the native tongue in the skewed world that exists inside your head. But we've all learned to expect this from you, so drone on.

Add finance to his list of degrees. 

Pioneer how did you arrive at your opinions about Wall Street, comics books?

Pioneer I worked as an Profit  and Loss accountant for a $2 Billion Mortgage Backed SecurI ties Portfolio.  Which was one of the most complicated securities at the time.  And when the market had the largest percentage loss ever my boss was confident in me.

Even though it was my first job. But I also was cool with the sister who were secretaries and the brothers in the mail room. Most people respect knowledge and integrity. So here's a need flash I was respecteducated for my knowledge and my ability to get the job done. No bitching and moaning. So I comfortably can talk with President and drug dealers and hood cats. And I talk what I know. Cause people know when you're talking Shite. 

Okay, I don't really like to get in people's business, but @Pioneer1, @Delano, and @Cynique, what you're doing here is another one of the problems amongst our culture. I know that we have our different views, but that should never overshadow the fact that we're all trying to go the same direction. Yeah, we're taking different paths and we come from different generations, but why not find a common ground instead of contrasting amongst each other? I shall mention the color white again, the FBI of the 1970s pit the black panthers against each other and that's what led to their demise. That was one of the greatest movements we ever had, and yet it fell apart from the inside. Then the outside took advantage of it and has ever since.

With all that's going on right now, with all that our culture has been through, we should be able to have a productive conversation that ends with unified hands. Not throwing what we know at each other, but using what we know as one. We've got to look out for one another, because no one else will. And that doesn't matter what color you want us to be, we'll still be the same color and viewed as such. I say this with nothing but respect to my older peers. I love my black people and I don't like to see us bash each other. That's not what our generations past went through all that hell for.

And thank you @Linda Chavis, unfortunately I don't have a Facebook, but I will look for other groups. Thank you for thinking of me, that was very kind you.

• Thanks 1

@Antonio Ingram, what a refreshing statement: "I don't have a Facebook"  Why don't you have Facebook?

As far as the nature of our changes here.  I have agreed with everyone you mentioned and I have also disagreed with at some point over the years.  Sometimes I have changed my position with someone I've disagreed with, in fact this is what makes the disagreements important. 

I completely understand why some folks might be put off by this, indeed many can't tolerate it and prefer the corporate social media platforms where you can join a filter bubble and have all your ideals reinforced.

If we are constantly looking for points on which we agreed we would never grow.  If no one ever challenged your ideas you may go around ignorantly believing something that is simply wrong or missing a nuisance you may never have considered.

The thing to keep in mind here is not to take anything written personally, and if you do use it as an opportunity understand why. 

I try to understand what the other person writes--even if I don't agree with it. 

@Pioneer1, when I wrote, "Every job on Wall Street that I ever got was because of white folks."  What question of your's did I answer?  I'm sure I missed it.

• Like 1

@Troy I have a Twitter (that's what I'm on more than anything, I like it better), I have a stage 32, I have a Linkedin, I've established a blogger page now. I'm just not a fan of Facebook. I never gravitated to it. I did with Twitter though.

And yes, I agree, I think disagreements are important as well, never said they weren't. I also didn't take it personally, but it seemed like my peers were to some extent. I was pointing to the fact that there were insults being attached to the disagreements, I don't think that's a productive argument, because naturally, another insult will be returned. That's more so what I meant about finding a common ground. That's my point.

• Like 2

@Antonio you are not aware of the history between . You sharpen your mind through opposition. My criticism of Pioneer is that he has forceful and misinformed opinions that he believes are true. 

I don't know you. However there are two writers here and they both are concise and on top of their game. They have their facts straight. And I have seen enough of their posts to hear different voices. 

I think and make critiques. However I am not going to critique you or your post since the tone is emotional. 

Finally people can have whatever style and opinion they like. So I am not keen when someone tries to tell me how I should engage. Even though I am guilty of this in my post. 

You are being solicitous because you are desperate and are taking disagreement for disunity. I  disagree with Troy sometimes. And a few times I have gone overboard and apologised. But that's my man. So stay and post something other than a personal complaint and check the dynamic. 

@Antonio Ingram

Are there many successful writers without Fb?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cynique

People commonly point to the 60s as the pinnacle of massive social change in America.
They also give most of the credit to the YOUTH of the 60s who were the vanguards of this massive social change and spearheaded it.

If you are part of the YOUTH (25 and under) in the 60s.....then that means you had to be born in the 40s and 50s.

Meaning POST Depression and post World War 2 era.

Commonly refered to as the BABY BOOMERS.

Now there are people of EVERY generation who made valuable contributions, but if we were to COMPARE one generation with the next.....
Clearly the Baby Boomers were more instrumental in agitating social and political change that previous generations.

BTW...
Why do you find the time to correct EVERYBODY on their grammar and spelling mistakes EXCEPT FOR the person who seems to need it the most....lol?

Del

Pioneer in can talk intelligently to Wall Street, Main Street and the Street. Because I listen and think.

"in can"??

You clearly weren't listening in GRAMMAR school....lol.

Pioneer how did you arrive at your opinions about Wall Street, comics books?

Specifically.....
WHAT opinions did I have about Wall Street that were wrong?

Pioneer I worked as an Profit and Loss accountant for a $2 Billion Mortgage Backed SecurI ties Portfolio. Which was one of the most complicated securities at the time. And when the market had the largest percentage loss ever my boss was confident in me.

Even though it was my first job. But I also was cool with the sister who were secretaries and the brothers in the mail room. Most people respect knowledge and integrity. So here's a need flash I was respecteducated for my knowledge and my ability to get the job done. No bitching and moaning.

That's beautiful

((clap clap clap))

Now, in all of that bragging about how much money you were making White people.....
I was looking for the part where you went BACK to your old neighborhood in The Bronx and built a school or started a program to help mentor and teach Black boys and girls how to be financially successful too.

I couldn't find it.

Could you please.....sir....point it out for me.

I mean....

I KNOW you just didn't hop on a plane and fly off to Australia without helping out the people you grew up with in your old neighborhood.

Surely....
If you're so good at making money for White people and White firms, surely coming from an impoverished community such as The Bronx you would recognize the need to help YOUR OWN people also.

Troy

when I wrote, "Every job on Wall Street that I ever got was because of white folks." What question of your's did I answer? I'm sure I missed it.

You said that Wall Street was bringing the world's economy on the brink of collapse and I asked you what did the men who were IN CONTROL of Wall Street look like.

In other words, what COLOR were they.

I believe your statement that every job you got on Wall Street came from White folks answered my question.

And further proves my point..........

That this world's economy is controled by the WHITE SUPREMISTS.

Antonio

I feel you bro.

For years and years I wondered why Black people fought and argued with eachother so much and why we just couldn't unite and get along.

I now realize that the biggest problem we face isn't disunity.

The fighting and disunity is a SYMPTOM of much larger problems.

On of those problems is a LACK OF TRUST or LACK OF HONESTY among eachother.

Black people for the most part don't unite with eachother because most of us don't trust eachother enough to form close bonds with.

And one of the reason we don't trust eachother is because growing up in this society we are so used to White people telling us what to think, what to do, and how to feel....most of us are out of touch with out TRUE feelings.

For example in male/female relationships......

One of the biggest reason Black men and women don't get along is because most Black women don't trust Black men.....because so many Black men have been caught having multiple sexual partners while claiming to have only one.

Many Black men resort to lying about their sexual behavior because White men taught us that for a man to have multiple sexual partners (something common in Africa) is morally wrong.
So many of us lie about it and when caught it sets up conflict and mistrust between us.

Another reason Black men and women don't get along is because most Black women are frustrated and angry with Black men their seeming inability to protect and provide for Black women like White men do for White women.
But most don't vocalize this....instead this anger and often HATRED may manifest itself in different ways totally unrelated to this fact....which confuses a lot of Black men.

The key to unitity in the Black community is HONESTY.

• Like 1

Pioneer do you understand what an accountant does. Because it doesn't seem like it from your comments. 

Pioneer spell check or proofing my post would fix my deficiency. Fixing your unrealistic assumptions and faulty logic is a bit harder. 

Accountants count money. Trading Brokerage and Sales make money.

• Like 1

@Pioneer1, you believe the white people in control like Bezos, Zuckerberg, et al, are motivated by racism.  I believe they are motivated by power and greed.

People motivated by racism are either stupid or ignorant.  I don't think Jeff Bezos is either.

Now the 45-voting white boys you are likely to encounter on a daily basis probably are more likely to be racist.  This might explain your world view. This site was created in reaction to racism.  Obviously I believe racism is a problem which needs to be addressed.

But, Jeff Bezos adversely impact more white people than Black.  Indeed many Black people don't even appreciate what is happening.  It is white folks who are trying to stop him.  They are not reacting to Jeff's racism, they are reacting to his greed and overwhelming control.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was talking to a lady just this weekend.  She sounded just like Pioneer.  Again I understand him because I encounter many people like him. 

The Sister, who like Cynique, is old enough to be my mothers, was going on about White racism and how that Black man is genetically superior.  She absolutely did not want to hear anything about the fiction of race.  She was firm in her beliefs and was not interested in hearing the science or facts--nothing. I gave up.

Fundamentalism is a scary thing.

Now earlier in the conversation we agreed about the need for Black owned media and she was well versed on how the lack of it had misinformed our community; so we have some common ground.  But when you disagree on the cause of a problem the solutions will naturally be different.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Troy said:

But when you disagree on the cause of a problem the solutions will naturally be different.

Working in economic development - I learned the first thing you do is determine your goal.   Once you determine a goal and how to achieve it,  that's usually when you can identify a problem.   

So, if racism is the problem facing the black community  - this would mean solving racism would allow the black community to achieve its goal.   

What goal will the black community achieve when the racism problem is solved?   

• Thanks 1

Agreed @Mel Hopkins and this reveals the problem with all of our collective strategizes to date and why they have all failed to eradicate racism. We are dealing with symptoms not the underlying cause.

Black people fight racism, when the problem is our entire system; a system in which racism can actually grow--think about it:  We have access to more information than EVER yet we have people who are stupid enough to believe racism makes sense.  How is that possible in 2017?   

Of course corporate owned social media profits from misinformation so we have as much good information as bad and it is getting harder to figure out which is which.  Of course we are left to do this on our own because we don't have enough journalists to help sort though this stuff, so false information propagates a easily as the truth.  In fact false information propagates faster because it is so much easier to generate--no research or fact checking is necessary.

Why aren't people, like 45, who fan the flames of racism laughed off the podium?  The answer to that question will explain why there are still white and even Black supremacists.

• Thanks 1

@Pioneer1  Social change is the result of movements. What you credit to the Anti-Establishment Baby Boomer movement in the 1960s doesn't erase the gains instituted by the Civil Rights movement that was launched by the Depression generation whose  accomplishments  ended segregation laws and opened up doors for black people. 

In the 1960s  Anti-Establishment movement,  Baby Boomer hippies consisted of white kids rebelling against their middle class upbringing, and this movement exulted free love and promoted drug experimentation. Their black counterparts, the Panthers were about a violent revolution which never got off the ground. There was also the Feminist movement, again the brain child of white women who wanted to step down from their pedestals and be on a par with their men.This is the torch these Baby Boomers passed on to the detriment of the generations that followed.  And to add insult to injury, as they grew older, the white hippies of the counter culture movement grew up and became a part of the racist establishment they were rebelling against, leaving behind the irresponsible social changes they had introduced. Meanwhile, the Black Baby boomers didn't maintain the positives gains made by the Civil Rights movement because they were too preoccupied with material acquisitions and superficiality. The Feminist movement never really caught on because of the perceived notion that it was the creation of lesbians. Today, it along with Gay Rights is still struggling as evidenced by the "me, too" movement and the AIDS specter.  Bottom line is that all social change is not for the better, and whether or not what is passed on to the next generation is good or bad, is debatable. 

In response to your question, grammar is about correct usage of language, sentence structure, and punctuation. It is not about misspelling or incorrect use of words.  Del is guilty of not editing his work.  He cleans up well.  

@Mel Hopkins and @Troy, you 2 really have a handle on the situation.  Blacks are stuck on, maybe even dependent on making racism the culprit. And they will get irrelevant solutions when focusing on  the wrong problem. The ongoing litany about black unity and white villainy is just marching in place. Using black supremacy as a weapon against white supremacy is a short-sighted exercise in futility, and being preoccupied with this takes on a zeal comparable to religious fanaticism. New strategies are, indeed, needed.  And as you both suggest, different goals set.

• Thanks 2

The Suffrage Movement had rhe slogan women first Negro last. And it was successful by using the same techniques Slave Owners used. So when I hear submissive groups say the  solution ia domination i tune out.

This discussion has reaffirmed my belief that you new to understand an individuals world view ,  reasoning capacity and their ability to think critically or conceptually. Also the ability to admit  they are mistaken.  The world is larger than my experience. 

My phone had a cerain type if predictive text, that selected a word after depressing the space bar.

Advertising proves that we are mad emotional and illogical beings.

This conversation was incredibly illuminating. And qill actual change how and who I communicate with people.

Dominion is about manipulation for personal gain. So Disney pimps kids. If you have a trillion your pimp has is strong. 

You can become rich  by exploiting others. 

Del

Pioneer do you understand what an accountant does. Because it doesn't seem like it from your comments.

Pioneer spell check or proofing my post would fix my deficiency. Fixing your unrealistic assumptions and faulty logic is a bit harder.

Accountants count money. Trading Brokerage and Sales make money.

WhatEVER the hell you did, why didn't you go back to your old poor/working class community and help bring wealth and prosperity to people who really need it instead of skipping off to another Western country to add to THEIR wealth?

Young White people....hipsters....are moving into every little nook and crany they can find in New York.
They're moving into the ghettoes, the slums, the old project buildings...and refurbishing them and restoring old neighborhoods.

Why did THEY have to do it when there are hundreds of thousands of negroes with degrees who came from those very same neighborhoods who COULD have done the very same thing with even more success 20 years ago?

Australian doesn't need your wealth and knowledge.....Soundview and other poor/working class Bronx communities of color do.

Troy

But when you disagree on the cause of a problem the solutions will naturally be different.

I agree with THIS 100%.
How can a doctor cure or even properly treat a disease that has been MISdiagnosed?

Black people fight racism, when the problem is our entire system

Trooooooooy, Troy, Troy.....man who CREATED this "system"??????

Asian women?

Native American men?

Who were the men who ESTABLISHED this system and is keeping it running that you and I both recognize as being a problem?

-ALL QUESTIONS ARE RHETORICAL- Because you and I both know the answer.

Mel

What goal will the black community achieve when the racism problem is solved?

Peace and prosperity.

6 hours ago, Troy said:

Cynique, the paragraph that starts, "In the 1960s..." was brilliant IMHO.  Do you get to express thoughts like this in the physical world? 

Lol. Not as much as i used to.  Nobody is interested in hearing them. :o :huh:

Well I'm glad you share your ideas here.  So that we and others can benefit from them. 

I still think there is a book in your musing in this forum from over the years. I just wish I had the resources to compile it.  Maybe one day,  that is if Google-Amazon- Facebook (GAF) don't run me out of business first ;)