Dr. Umar Johnson's Review of Black Panther 2

I'm not surprised that Dr. Umar Johnson took exception to certain aspects of the movie. 

While Dr. Umar Johnson's critique is his to make, the movie is based on a comic book. The storylines were already written. 

Movies are an example of an industry AfroAmericans need to take control of the entire process of telling our own stories and creating super-heros.

AfroAmerican companies should be able to cover everything from financing movie production through to owning theaters to screen them. 😎

• Like 1

Umar's argument against the film is silly.  Black Panther is a Marvel flick designed to make a bazillion dollars -- globally.  Any conscious aspects are purely accidental, coincidental, and otherwise incidental.

Obviously, Marvel was trying to appeal to Mexicans and women but they also had to do this without alienating the broader global audience.  Marvel clearly succeeded at this -- they have this down pat.

Now I disliked the way some Black people embraced Black Panther as if it were part of our cultural heritage -- when it is a story dreamt up by a couple of young white boys. But as a movie, designed to entertain a large number of people, I think Black Panther (I) did a great job while Black Panther II was adequate.

Besides, whatever happened to Johnson's school and all the money he raised for it?

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Besides, whatever happened to Johnson's school and all the money he raised for it?

No you didn't. 🤣

According to Dr. Umar Johnson, he's having a hard time getting contractors to do work in the building. 🤣

Dude has been working on this school thing for at least 13 years and counting.😁😎

5 minutes ago, Troy said:

13 years is not a long time to build a school from scratch, but I'd be really surprised, pleasantly, if it ever gets built.

But, that's just it...Dr. Johnson is not building the school from  scratch. 🤣

He runs around looking at existing buildings to convert into a school.

i know for a fact that if he had enough money to build a school from scratch, it could be done in less than one year.

Rehabbing a standing structure into a small private school can be done in 3 months or less again providing the money is in place. 

I don't believe the school will come to fruition either.  I think Dr. Johnson has found a legitimate hustle that dovetails into book sales and speaking engagements. 😎

• Haha 1