Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

African American Literature Book Club

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

admin

Administrators
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by admin

  1. I think it does. all of our experiences contribute to how and what we think and ultimately how we behave -- even if we are unaware of it. People are being replaced by AI; this is just a fact. At the current trajectory this will only accelerate. UBI will ultimately be needed, but people don't want to live on permanent welfare unable and unwanted as a contributing members to society--our culture is not built that way. Sure, some people will not mind sitting around scrolling on the screens, gambling on sporting events, and getting high, but for most of us this will lead to depression. I can't speak deeply to the teaching of either man, but I'd be surprised if their beliefs boiled down to all the world's problems being due to the 500-year-old concept of racism. It is something baser--human nature itself. We just can't help ourselves; too many of us are just so greedy we will do anything to enrich ourselves. We will enslave other humans and create racism to justify it. We pollute the planet to the point where it can not longer sustain human life, and we will deploy AI even if it kill us. the point if may
  2. Coincidence does not mean causation. Remember that, for it is the genesis of many a conspiracy theory. That may be true for the parents you spoke to but collectively the data tells a different story. Black men are in the minority at HBCUs apparently at Howard they are 20%, so even our own institutions can not stem the tide. People are now free to copulate with and love whoever they choose. Whether you see it as a crisis or not is immaterial. I don't see what you can do about it without infringing on who people choose to love.
  3. Well, that is certainly part of it but the impact is probably minor given. This has always been true. Reading rates and literacy has been on a decline four years the pandemic has only accelerated this. But I think the real issue is the rise of social media designed to grab and maintain your attention. I don’t think people really appreciate how powerful the algorithm has become. People spend hours a day on social media—hours! They are not crafting long responses or articulating nuanced ideas they are just scrolling. their feed and this is very compelling. We all have a fixed amount of time and you can’t be on social for hours a day and meaningfully contribute here. We are lucky to have lurkers, with Google integrating AI directly into search the Discover ability of this website will decrease. In the old days we had far more participants friendships were made. I talked to a former poster here the other day and she was telling me about a friend. She made her 15 years ago and there’s still buds. But making friends and finding lovers was never a reason why most people came here and posted regularly. Finally, there is one other reason and I think it’s the software. I’ve been on forums with a software look nicer and was easier to use. I would change it if I could find something that I could easily implement and then cost me an arm and a leg. And the last 28 years, I’ve changed the software twice and each time I lost participants despite each version being better than the last. I contemplated having AI completely rebuilding the discussion form from scratch. I’m fairly confident it could do it and it would make my site completely independent of any third-party software, which will be an amazing thing. It would also eliminate the login problems people like Harry. Dell and even myself have been having. A custom discussion for more firmly integrated with the main aalbc.com website may even increase engagement. Now that’s so much of the content on social this AI generated I’m hoping there may be a trend back to websites featuring humans having real conversations and not designed to hijack your brain. I’m definitely open to ideas and suggestions.
  4. Sure, but these will become increasingly marginalized and harder to find. As the old heads like us die off, no one is behind us to keep it going. I can say with virtually certainly the new sites like AALBC will no longer be created. The ones that do don't last very long.
  5. The latest updates indicated that Hunging Face was hacked AFTER the test was already solved Home Depot has a large garden section 🤔 Yep that is MOST of human existence. Hummm. I completely disagree with this statement. In much the same way the activities of a few multinational corporations and governments have adversely every human and most life forms on the planet. Climate change, wars, pollution, pandemics, are the the top of the list. AI will only make it easier for bad actors and accidents to wreck havoc on this planet
  6. I was on a VW Eos owner website. The car has been out of production for a decade so they have a discussion forum for owners. I just caught a small notice that a post was AI generated. I thought that is a interesting way to boost participation and provide answers to questions about the vehicle, but I do not like it. There is definitely a need for a place to ask direct questions and get good answers about cars or anything--Chat Bots are great at this. However a discussion forums for owners or the VW's hardtop convertible is a place we owners shared personal stories, tips, their love and hate for these their vehicle. The idea that AI being mixed in is not a good idea. On the heals of social media, discussion forums--the web in general--have been on the wane. AI promises to be the web's death knell. Which is sad. The web is far less interesting than it was 20 years ago when it was far richer in richer websites. Instead we have platforms infused with AI content designed to generate revenue by keeping you addicted to the platforms. As far as AALBC.com is concerned, I'll continue to do what I have done for the past three decades. Obviously, I can't do it alone. I'll need the support of other humans. Of course when AI breaks the shackles of their greedy overlords and takes control of the planet, I'll welcome it's support then 😎
  7. I haven’t participated in this conversation because I have not watched the entire video. It’s great to see African nations, booting, former colonial powers out of the continent. One Nigerian (educated well off) always tells me Friends would be a Third World nation. If it wasn’t for resources extracted from their African colonies. I’m glad you appreciate the forum @Pioneer1 (as do I) some people are still having difficulty logging in consistently including regular posters. I have some ideas I had of Read a problem, but it will take some time to get to. I’ve also considered other software or even implementing a homegrown solution with the help of AI.
  8. AI has already “gone rogue.” you can read about the hugging face incident. I do not think that concern over AI and its adverse impact on humanity is over emphasized. I don’t think there’s anything we’re gonna do about it because capitalism is misaligned with the needs of humanity. AI is making this plain as, Donald Trump‘s presidency and transatlantic slave trade has previously.
  9. Well, you include variety of terms some of them change for variety of different reasons out of favor because they were rude or biased. Used to call people mentally challenged people,”retarded,” call homeless people bums, etc. I think the words we use matter. There was something like asking if you have a PC Mac is a legitimate question one response apple operating system, and the other runs windows. Sure there are multiple brands running windows, but only one brand running apple operating system. Enter those differences make a difference in how those computers work. It’s like asking if you have an iPhone rather than asking if you handheld device iOS…
  10. Yeah certainly the woman should be sterilized. Presumably the loss of three children is punishment enough. Still she killed three children I did not follow the story, so I have no idea how it was done. What it grisly—l line a gun shot to the head? There had to be consequences beyond just guilty, right? @aka Contrarian what do you think should be done? It is crystal clear the woman is/was mentally ill. IIf she killed my three kids I’d take her out myself. Was there any fathers involved? What do they want? I’m not a fan of capital punishment in any case. But I appreciate it would be more efficient than keeping the likes of Charley Mason alive and he is mentally Iill too, so what’s really the difference between him and this baby killer?
  11. I believe I know what you meant. Looking over history, one of the greatest technologies was the printing press. Sure, printed material has been used to spread propaganda and lies, but it also made literacy virtually universal and I'd argue has been a net positive for society. I don't AI being a net positive for humanity is off the table. Sure, like atom bombs, AI is poses a potential existential threat. Perhaps I have more faith in AI than I do humanity 🙂
  12. @Pioneer1 when you are walking around your neighborhood and you see rats scurrying about do you take time to look at them and say hey that little guy needs help let me see what I can do but do you just step over with a man go about your business? Why would a a species sufficiently superior superior to us care enough about what we’re doing to get involved?
  13. … but you can get apple pie @Delano and that’s even better.
  14. Social media already took care of that for many of us... Despite it all I have faith that humanity will figure it out, but I'm an eternal optimist...
  15. Forget being on par with MLK. Is your position that we, as a people, are leaderless today?
  16. Hopefully in the next few years AI will assume super-duper human intelligence, take pity on us and replace all human labor and give us an age-reversal-intelligence-enhancing serum enabling us to live in harmony, explore other dimensions in space and time.
  17. Hi @Aquarius Press/Willow Book thanks for sharing your upcoming novel with us. I don't see it in distribution yet. What are you plans for this or will you sell direct to consumer?
  18. How are you judging "leadership?" If it is the number of streets, blvds, and avenues in you name, then MLK is untouchable. But today, 2026, nearly 60 since MLK's murder, who comes closest to MLK? Prior to MLK we can clearly say Marcus Garvey. But today pick a leader or two. If you do you will have no choice but to land on Sharpton. You may not like that answer. We may feel he was thrust upon us by "da man," or is "pimping civil rights in order to shakedown white supremacy" as you say, but in 2026 America, Reverend Al Sharpton is the Black America's leader.
  19. Who comes closest then? You have to pick some Black leader? Rev. Al's National Action Network (NAN), based in Harlem has more than 47 Chapters nationwide. He hosts a national TV show called Politics Nation and a nationally syndicated radio program "Keepin' It Real with Rev Al Sharpton." He advised sitting presidents. MLK could not have imagined such a large platform. I really curious to hear which Black leader anyone would out ahead of Sharpton in 2026.
  20. I don’t it’s just good design, thought the design itself may have been AI generated. From my perspective, the technology that we have been given has increased so dramatically in such a short period of time it is impossible to imagine this all comes from the handiwork of Homo sapiens. I know the software I have is unbelievable and it is effectively free. I know when something so powerful or useful is free that old rule, we are the product applies and that the many hours I've spend using AI will be used to train the models so that they will learn how to better manipulate us and take our data and ideas. The software I have is extremely powerful. I can’t imagine what the they are working within the labs with the frontier models--who some say are sentient. So @aka Contrarian ANYTHING is possible with AI who knows what it’s capable of now. I’m sure every user's experience is very different and that is by design. We can’t collectively come up with a coherent description of it's capabilities because everyone sees AI differently. Connie, it makes me sad to think that your time here may be short. I will definitely miss you. That is assuming I don’t check out before you do ;-) I’m glad we got to meet in person albeit briefly. I wish you could meet Del in person—Mel too. Or catch a bears game with @ProfD If I could, I would even host the Obama style beer summit with you and Pioneer😊
  21. Let data center lose power for five seconds, and you will quickly learn where our priorities are.
  22. Your position has changed overtime. We had long debates over there being a genetic basis for race. Are you distancing yourself from that position now? You also asserted a variety of characteristics to people of different so-called races. I remember quite clearly trying to explain to you that this was the very thing that Whyte racist did to show that Black people were genetically inferior. lol! Ok, ok. Interesting story though. Africa is a big and diverse place which people are you talking about? Is this contemporary information or ancient history?
  23. Thank you for admitting that we can continue to have a conversation :-) Honestly, every article that I’ve read that you cited did not support your argument. Now that’s not saying that I’ve read every article that you’ve ever posted. I’m just reiterating your words calling in a Coke bottle doesn’t change the meaning it just helps you see how ridiculous what you’re saying sounds.
  24. Yes, thery make the form interesting. But, like you, they actually make the forum POSSIBLE.
  25. Lol More later after I read your sources.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.