The Black populace in NYC has another problem

Does immigration make it easier or harder for any community to maintain a culture in itself?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think people from different size cities share the same perspectives on cities?

• yes
    • no

A study recently said that 40% of people who live in nyc were born outside of nyc, that explains the problem, half of the people living in nyc don't know anything about new york city. And this connects to a larger problem, cause that percentage doesn't include people who immigrated from within the usa. To be blunt, my bloodline has lived in nyc for a long time and to those that like NYC in a general sense, this explains the problem with nyc of the past in parallel to nyc of today. People who live outside of NYC come from towns or smaller cities, in the usa or outside of it, or come from big cities that are culturally very different from nyc outside of it,  and don't have the comprehension of what NYC was. It is a lesson in the dangers of immigration. 
When I hear people speak of NYC and talk about fears I realize now, half of those people come from small villages so they are always afraid. Cause coming from small villages or town or cities, like chicago even, you don't comprehend nyc. 
Los Angeles is the second biggest city in the usa and is a quarter of nyc's populace with significantly more land. 

I realize that the Black populace in NYC became a populace, not a community with immigration over the past fifty years. I will explain.  It isn't that immigrants don't want to be part of communities or automatically hinder or harm communities. That isn't how immigration and sequentially immigrants harm community, in general. I see the issue. when i think about black people from st croix , black people from jamaica, black people from congo, can they really relate off the plane to a black doser? yes, both are black humans, but culturally the subtleties are not the same. Someone in this online forum once said they were most happy about black people from outside the usa entering into the black mold to lessen the influence of descended of enslaved blacks and i comprehended then why, but i wish i could had refuted them with the following recent thought. 

The time it takes for black immigrant populaces to find a balance to the descended of enslaved has stymied both or definitely hurt any black person trying to strengthen the black populace in the usa.

12 hours ago, richardmurray said:

A study recently said that 40% of people who live in nyc were born outside of nyc, that explains the problem

Well, it depends.  How does that number compare historically? I'd bet there were periods of times when the majority of people in NYC were born outside the city. I was born and raised in Harlem, but my parents were not, and this is true for most of my peers. 

Occasionally I meet someone whose lineage goes back a few generations in NYC, but these people are in a minority.  

The city does have problems, but it is not due to the people moving there--it never was.  Newcomers are just easily scapegoated. 

NYC is a melting pot of different cultures. Seems immigrants would easily be able to find their tribe there. 

The real *problem* is that many Black immigrants and their descendants have been brainwashed by racism white supremacy into an anti-AfroAmerican (DOS/FBA) sentiment. 

AfroAmericans (DOS/FBA) have to navigate the hurdles of racism white supremacy and shade from other black folks. All skin folk ain't kinfolk. 

As soon as I encounter an inkling of that sh8t coming from non-DOS/FBA Black folks in the form of false narratives and beliefs, I call it out. Just rip it off like a band-aid.😎

@Troy Your 100% correct, i didn't state the number to suggest it was always that way in the history of nyc, from the time of manahatte plus the surrounding land, through new amsterdam to today. And outside the time of the lenape, most people living in manahatta or the surrounding lands that make up modern nyc are immigrants , or not born in the city. 

I am of the minority:)

never was,i guess your not including the time of manahatta or new amsterdam in nyc? cause immigrants caused the destruction of the system the lenape had or the system the dutch had. I can't imagine anyone can say the native american scapegoats white europeans by saying their immigration was never a problem, until now. 

Was nyc bettered by the first wave irish coming in? 

Was the white community in nyc bettered by the first wave irish coming in? 

Was nyc bettered by blacks from the south coming in?

Was the black community in nyc bettered by blacks from the south coming in?

Was nyc bettered by the italian/irish/german jews coming in?

was the white community in nyc bettered by the italian/irish/german jews coming in?

Was NYC bettered by the asian community coming in after the immigration act?

was the asian community in nyc bettered by the asian community coming in after the immigration act?

Regardless of whether anyone says yes or no to any of the eight questions above, positive or negative stories occur always in any situation. But, overall i think the answer is no to each, overall. 

18 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Nobody.....Black, White, or otherwise.....thinks like most New Yorkers do, lol.

True, New Yorkers are the center of the media landscape so that impression is create and people here believe it.

Almost 3% of the country lives in NYC and probably 10% of the country has lived in NYC at one point in their lives.  Most of the country's wealth in concentrated is also concentrated in the hands of these people, so they are a strong minority.  

But keep in mind, that control is wielded by a fraction of the New Yorkers -- not all of us. 

@richardmurray "bettered" compared to what?

When I look at Manhattan driving on over the Triborough I really cannot believe my eyes.  It looks like the Borg have taken over.  Every single inch of the landsacpe has been paved over -- even the central park is man-made. You can't see the horizon, the stars, a descent sunrise or sunset.  Fresh air is an impossibility and dark brown water is considered normal.  I also hear crime is on the rise... 

I walked in an underground from 42ns st from and the 8th to 6th ave subway line and I through I was in a scene from Mad Max.  Bums laying around, performers, refugee kids selling all kind of things, the mentally ill screaming obscenities -- it was surreal.

But keep in mind rich New Yorkers do not ride the subway and are not subjected to the Mad-Maxian hellscape that wage earners must navigate.  In fact, NYC was approved to imposed at $23 toll just to drive in into Manhattan (south of 60th street)!  

The place the lenape knew no longer exists.  Is it "bettered?"  I don't think so, but a reasonable person can disagree.

@Troy I thought I was clear, I was speaking on the people who are already in a state of what is modern NYC.  But I comprehend. Ever since the white european began making the immigration discussion about the white european  immigrant over the native american, statians like yourself, tend to see immigration in a similar way, always from the angle of the immigrants needs, not the people who are already present and have to deal with th instabilities or imbalanced immigrants by default make on arrival.

Well, not everywhere in nyc is the same, concerning environment, but crime isn't on the rise. Yes , some fiscally common people see sunrises, some don't. I can tell you this for sure. But, crime isn't on the rise. 

New York city is very crowded. It is the most dense city in the usa while also the most populated. It always has been that, and that leads to negative environmental situations, negative communal interactions. this is the history of most big cities in humanity.