AI will make websites obsolete

I don’t know exactly when this will happen, but everything that I see going on suggests that the days for websites are numbered  which means that I need to figure some things out.

You have AI Systems that’s scrape the web and provide brilliantly crafted responses to user questions based on that content. They do this without paying the contact creators. And in the vast majority of cases the uses have no reason to go to the underlying website, meaning websites, go increasingly uncompensated for their content.

This is one of the ways that Google has really hurt websites, but AI promises to make this far worse and is an existential threat to all websites, perhaps more importantly, to websites that require journalists.

The problem is AI needs content creators and publishers but if AI kills websites indeed, even journalism where will they get new content to drive their systems?

as far as AALBC is concerned, the newsletter holds some promise for the time being. More interestingly, these discussion forms can be even more promising, but that will require more human participation that we’ve seen in recent years.

There are some open source social networks like bluesky, that I can host locally that allows people to share their followers and engagement  across the web, but people have shown little interest in leaving the older social platform and Black peoples are not exactly early posters as a group. 

@Troy, in my eternal optimism, I don't believe your business will be adversely affected by AI. 

As a smart guy, I think you will either be using AI to make your work/life easier or successfully retired. 

The generation before ours thought the world was going to h8ll in a handbasket as technology improved.  Yet, we still made it here. 😁

Don't sweat it mayne.  The future will be OK too.😎

7 hours ago, Delano said:

Content will have watermarks and be copyrighted.

so they say… tell me how that will translate into revenue for the creators?

@ProfD I appreciate the encouraging words, but experience tells me something different. However, that does not mean I’m throwing in the towel.  

i always saw social, Amazon, google as a threats, but not existential ones. AI is a whole ‘nother thing.

It's funny, years ago i heard about the federal government program in some city northwest that gives money to people for living. That is the answer. If the usa can give money to people to live, absent worry , that will allow a constant flow of consumption. as the publicly traded markets will not be hindered but helped. this will mean, content creation will continue online for free , as people will be free. 

Just a guess to the future

• Thanks 1

@Troy getting sued is a game changer.

@richardmurray I also see it as problematic. Most people can't deal with a lot of free time. Work also provides a social setting. When UIC comes in alcohol drugs and gaming will skyrocket. Maybe that's where we are going any way. There's a quest to escape reality. It just needs to be more affordable and less disruptive.

@Delano well remember the heritage of the usa, financially, is Genocie+ slavery. Many people in the usa think of genocide or slavery from the perspective of physical pain or violence but not the financial systems which are about a minority getting access to great fiscal wealth at the detriment to the lifetime of other peoples + control or abuse with the harshest penalty to those who fight against it or the most overwhelming power against those trying to do other. That financial heritage often gets lost when people talk of genocide or slavery in the usa. The financial heritage of the genocide to the native american and the enslavement to the blacks has never abetted or lessened.  

On 3/4/2024 at 8:20 PM, Delano said:

Most people can't deal with a lot of free time.

Sure some, initially with struggle, like the retiree who is bored silly because they don't have a job to go to every day and don't know what to do with themselves.    As the culture shifts to providing people with a minimal standard of living (including education and medical care), people will learn how to utilize their free time to discover and peruse their passions. 

This country would be a better place.  We have the financial resources to do this too.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

As the culture shifts to providing people with a minimal standard of living (including education and medical care), people will learn how to utilize their free time to discover and peruse their passions. 

This country would be a better place.  We have the financial resources to do this too.

I believe the country is slowly heading in that direction.

Having the majority of people living a life of leisure would 1) bug the sh8t out of the 1 percenters and 2) upset the apple cart of a capitalism. 

Some geniuses decided a society built on a system of controlled chaos was better for human beings.😎

On 3/7/2024 at 7:57 AM, Troy said:

I think one percenters will appreciate the fact that this will keep the pitch forks at bay. 

Universal income ossifies financial status. Would children even need to go to school of there aren't any jobs. Which raises lots of other issues.

Sure children will need to go to school, because there will always be jobs and the need for people skilled in the trades.

Culturally will want an educated population so that people can pursue a variety of activities.