Why Cornel West is Broke

More gossipy stuff at the top of my YouTube Feed.  I clicked because curiosity got the best of me, and the sources was Forbes.  

Cornel West is brilliant intellectual, but a regular man like the rest of us.  I'm glad Forbes is not poking around my finances it would be embarrassing.  Getting divorced is a great way to destroy wealth and he has been divorced 5 times. 

I didn't know he was divorced that many times until I just read it here and did a quick research on him.
Man...this actually changes the way I look at the brother to be honest.

And the fact is, he's currently married to a non-Black woman.

I'm now wondering has ANY of his former wives been Black?

But regardless of their race, for a man to get divorced that many times in his life makes you want to question his judgement or personality and question why he can't seem to get along with the people who chose to settle down with.

I'm not surprised that Dr. Cornel West has short paper. Being an intellectual and academician doesn't translate into wealth. 

5 failed marriages suggests to me that Dr. West tried to conform to some aspect of the American Dream.

Every man isn't meant to be married to another person. Some are better off married to their vocation. Even if it means running their mouths and eating grapes like an old Greek philosopher.🤣

I do think it's important for folks like Dr. West to get into politics. Challenges other candidates to bring their brain power to the discussion.😎

I'm not married, but I learned early on in my 30s that marriage wasn't for me.
I like my personal space.

It seems that some men just TRY to make it work....I mean they try REAL HARD to make it work no matter how many times they fail.
They don't want to accept Reality.

Some men just aren't meant to be in long term or committed relationships just like some women aren't.

I'm glad I was born and raised in the United States where atleast we have the option NOT to get married despite the peer pressure from certain people and family.
In many if not most other countries, you're EXPECTED to get married as soon as you reach a certain age.
If not.....you've shamed the family and are considered an "outcaste".

As far as our brother Cornel..........

I can see how 5 divorces can break a man financially, however as smart as he is and as famous as he is with that charismatic gap toothed grin being infront of the cameras for over 40 years.....practically a household name in Black America.....I don't see how THAT brother could be struggling financially.

I wonder what Tavis Smiley is up to....lol.

IMO, marriage should always be a choice and not an expectation or obligation. Especially in countries where it's contractual. 

4 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

It seems that some men just TRY to make it work....I mean they try REAL HARD to make it work no matter how many times they fail.

Unfortunately, that social conditioning leads them into trying live up to an expectation. 

Some men just aren't meant to be in long term or committed relationships just like some women aren't.

There's a whole lot of people living their best lives flying solo.

As far as our brother Cornel..........smart as he is and as famous...practically a household name in Black America.....I don't see how THAT brother could be struggling financially.

Intellect and fame don't always translate into a fortune. Making money requires having a product and being a salesman and having a customer base.

I wonder what Tavis Smiley is up to....lol.

I doubt that Tavis' paper has ever been in jeopardy to a woman. 🤣😎

23 hours ago, ProfD said:

Intellect and fame don't always translate into a fortune. Making money requires having a product and being a salesman and having a customer base.

I doubt that Tavis' paper has ever been in jeopardy to a woman. 🤣😎

Perhaps being a professor doesn't make one a millionaire.....although I heard depending on the University you can make over $100,000 a year plus perks....but didn't brother West author a number of books?
I think he also had a few television and radio shows.

He should still be getting royalties from those endeavors.

There were rumors about Tavis being gay but some years back there were a number of lawsuits accusing of sexually harassing women at his production, if I'm not mistaken.
Or maybe they didn't say what sex the accusations were coming from?
At any rate, I heard all kinds of jokes about Travis chasing women around his office but keeping it so low key from the persona he gives on his broadcasts.

23 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Perhaps being a professor doesn't make one a millionaire.....although I heard depending on the University you can make over $100,000 a year plus perks....but didn't brother West author a number of books?
I think he also had a few television and radio shows.

He should still be getting royalties from those endeavors.

So many factors. It depends on how many books sold and syndication rights to any TV or radio programs.

If Dr. West isn't an in-demand public speaker, I cannot think of anything else he's done that would translate into millions of dollars. 

23 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

At any rate, I heard all kinds of jokes about Travis chasing women around his office but keeping it so low key from the persona he gives on his broadcasts.

Tavis did get caught up in some misconduct allegations and ended up having to pay PBS in their counter lawsuit. 

I don't recall Tavis being seriously linked to any women nor Puffy.🤣😎

I can tell y’all did not watch fortune video about Dr. West, if you had all the speculation and pondering would be unnecessary.

I don’t know whether Travis is gay or not. I’ve never seen him with a woman but that doesn’t mean anything because I’ve never seen West with a woman and he’s been married five times!

The following is a video it’s about 17 years old I guess during the launch of Smileybooks Tavis, Smiley’s publishing imprint. As Tavis mentions the wrong really was full of some very talented Black Book professionals.

It is the first time I looked at the video in a long while, and I have a slideshow of photos which really brings back some memories. Some of the people I’m still very close to and work with including Paul Coates, Vanesse Lloyd-Sgambati, Regina Brooks, Clarence Reynolds et al.

Cheryl Woodruff, who actually did the work as Smileybooks is an iconic figure and Publishing.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

I can tell y’all did not watch fortune video about Dr. West, if you had all the speculation and pondering would be unnecessary.

Watched the Forbes interview enough to know that it mentioned Dr. West has made about $15 million over 30 years. Detailed how his bread was made and lost. Running for POTUS will pull the whole portfolio out of the closet.😎

• Like 1