Book celebrating 1st Black President

Looks cool, but you didn't leave your personal website or more samples and information about you. Leave your website and information. Also on the Amazon page the description is one sentence and doesn't give any details about why I should buy the book. Just some observations. Good luck with this.

• Like 1

@CDBurns  I included my website:  https://store.bookbaby.com/book/chasitiesgoodman  I think that Barnes and Noble will let you read a sample.  Some of my past writings are not for children and thus are not included in any real website.  However, you can check out a blog of mine:  http://themusingsofchasitiesgoodman.weebly.com/ and some of my past radio shows:   to give you more background:  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/chasitie-s-goodman  In my opinion, any addition to the children's book pool that include diversity and children of color is at least worth a look, especially in the African American Literature Book Club.  I am just humbled to have one selection available amongst so many greats!  I thank you for your feedback.

• Like 1

Your musings are dope! You should definitely update when the time comes and get rid of that free weebly site and get your a real hosting service. Your blogging would get pretty good attention. I really like the Summertime post and of course the food post. A lot of your posts are just really good. I know that being an educator you don't have a lot of time, but your blogging should create more interests in your books. You should definitely have a yourname.com though. I shared the post above and I hope it helps.

• Like 1

@CDBurns Thank you very much for your feedback again.  Constructive feedback as opposed to counterproductive cynicism will always prove most powerful over time.  I am truly grateful for your kind words in regards to my blogs;  I have the responsibility to keep up my blogs, and I will.  I was able to take your constructive criticism and grow, even in this short time.  Here is my new website, and blog: 

http://www.cgoodwork.com/

Many blessings to you brother, and keep shining your light with your wonderful work as well.

• Like 2

While I'm not the biggest fan of Squarespace, I do love that the layout is very clean. Your old blog posts, all of that good stuff, can be imported into a Squarespace site. Here is the link here: https://answers.squarespace.com/questions/28921/import-website-from-wordpress.html

On your project page you need to hyperlink your bookstore site to the page so people won't have to copy and paste the link. I bought hosting and a domain for a jazz musician I dig and he decided to use Squarespace. I really dig the way he is running his site. You should peep it here: http://www.brandonmeeksmusic.com B Meeks is playing Ron Carter in the new Miles Davis biopic. 

Thank you for the blessings and keep pushing forward. I try to add information when I can and when I visit someone's site. Especially when that person has a catalog of really dope writing. Definitely take the time to Export from Wordpress and Import into Squarespace so all of those articles are in the same place.

I know you are attempting to separate the two projects, your blogging (not safe for kids) and your book, but in my mind that creates a fractured search. I may be wrong and I'd love for @Mel Hopkins to throw her ideas into the discussion and of course @Troy to add on. I think the more we help build each other up the better it will be for all of us. Each one, teach one.

• Like 2

You know I hot the main page of Chasties' sites started reading and was drawn into the story then bam!  "...here is your book..." then we are presented with the cover.  I actually think that is a good intro to the book.

I would get rid of the social buttons -- there is nothing happening on any of these platforms.  I have never seen a twitter account with only one follower. Some folks would consider that embarrassing :-)

You absolutely need a call to action showing how people can purchase the book.  Make it easy for folks.  

Finally you can probably Blog all day about your teaching experiences.  I would be careful not to simply show a parade of dysfunction, but do more of what you did on your homepage present a problem and demonstrate how you solved it.  That is what is inspiring and should resonate with people--they will want to support your efforts.

On 2/13/2016 at 10:25 PM, CDBurns said:

I know you are attempting to separate the two projects, your blogging (not safe for kids) and your book, but in my mind that creates a fractured search

It may create a fractured search but since @Chasitie has written a children's book - the author will now have to create blog post related to the publication.  In fact, all the posts will have to be child-centric, with a spotlight on parenting/teacher type topics; how parents and teachers can work together to bring about the best in their student ; DIY articles that allow parents to help children with homework - blah blah... Chasitie's focus is to sell her book and in doing so it there has to be an effort to bring the market (parents, child caregivers et al) to the author.  We do that by creating content that serves the market.  

• Like 3

@Mel Hopkins @CDBurns at this point, traffic is essential.  In my opinion, we can go back and forth all day about how but we need to support what exists! This is the only way to get more. African Americans have a hard time getting projects catapulted because we are so concerned with critique and dialogue, we have to justify it and debate about the validity of its existence.  Even with my students, its "Beyonce almost fell" vs. "Beyonce is a marketing genius, a bold voice that is needed, and a hell of a performer. This is why Beyonce's performance was such a conversation piece , because she was made larger than life by a mainstream audience and then shocked that audience with her  alliance to African-American-esque and Southern customs and traditions. That audience (urban) alone would not have made her the Almighty Beyonce. This is why mainstream felt so betrayed....Beyonce can be that voice now because she is already there.

My goal is to get the world to celebrate diversity.  Right now, my focus is kids.  I am pushing humanity, can you see this humanity in this Black boy and a purple one I mah right about?  I am not concerned with pushing someone elses projects and posts into viral status when I know they don't care about me or humanity.  What is the point?  Before we click on a post that is counterproductive and continue a dialogue that serves no real purpose, lets promote those that are human centered.

I am so humbled by the dialogue, any dialogue around my work.  The critiques have been ESSENTIAL!  I am better than I was a few days ago because of it, so please, help get the word out!  Share my posts, keep reading, and keep writing yourselves!  Our kids, and our humanity need it.

cgoodwork.com

• Like 2

@Chasitie you can start by adding a signature to your profile and an avatar. You can also update your profile with your website information. Doing this will allow any lurkers to see who you are and provide a click through quickly. That will help with traffic. The only other thing that helps is creating content and sharing in the places you are a part of (community). Other than that the best you can do is make sure your tags, metatags are all updated on your website. Make sure you have submitted and verified your site through Google Webmaster Tools which will help with search. Keep writing and sharing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

I so agree! Without mentors you can waste valuable time on trial and error.

I agree....I have learned much in a short time from CDBurns.  I love this sounding board.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sara said:

With her performance at the Super Bowl, she merely acknowledged her CORE audience, the one who put her on top.

Perfectly Stated!

So many writers forget that they have a CORE audience!  Everyone isn't going to be interested in your product but there will be a group of folks, such as Beyonce and her BeyHive, who will be about everything you do.  It's those readers (market) that you have to find first then make sure whatever you do speaks to them.   

• Like 1

On February 18, 2016 at 3:31 PM, Mel Hopkins said:

I so agree! Without mentors you can waste valuable time on trial and error.

I agree....I have learned much in a short time from CDBurns.  I love this sounding board.

5 hours ago, Sara said:

Without her black audience, she wouldn't be the "Almighty Beyoncé." Remember, Bey sold over 60 MILLION records as lead singer of Destiny's Child which was formed in 1990. She was a million seller after she went solo in 1996. She didn't get HUMUNGOUS among the mainstream until thereafter. With her performance at the Super Bowl, she merely acknowledged her CORE audience, the one who put her on top. Be like Bey and keep your eyes on the prize and never forget those who put you where you are. Black people, white people, ALL people respect that.

Yes, my point exactly.  The urban sounding Destinys Child barely cracked platinum.  Mainstream Destinys Child, after the switch, sold many millions and then Beyonce took over the world. I have been down since No NO No, I remember All my classmates singing along after the switch. Destinys Child was in fact, mainstream. And Beyoncé has never not acknowledged her Black audience.

My point was not to pick apart the career of one of my favorite entertainers...thAt would only pull in more of audience to debate instead of celebrate which was the thesis of my initial post.

• Like 1

This discussion would not be complete without  a dissenting view, and dissent is my brand.  When it comes to Beyonce, I consider her a caricature.  She's so over the top, she's exhausting. I question her genuine concern for her people which includes charitable write-offs, because everything she does is calculated to enhance her image  and advance her career which is why she's currently capitalizing on controversy.  I  don't think, in between forever reminding people that she is half Creole, that Beyonce is hard core black, or could she ever hold her own in an in-depth discussion about anything except booty shaking and pelvis grinding.  She's all style and no substance, all designer garb and hair extensions, replete with a wind machine. I really wouldn't be surprised if Jay-Z wasn't bored out of his skull with her. .  

Yes, Bey is a great entertainer, a golden girl who doesn't do drugs, but there are so many more accomplished black females who make better role models.  I will give her her props for being ambitious and determined  but she didn't pull herself up by her bootstraps since she came from a middle class family and had a head-start, thanks to her bootielicious  physical attributes. But - that's show biz! I know I'm talking to the wall because you can't argue with success! Just ask Lady Ga-Ga and Taylor Swift, the other 2 pagan goddesses of vacuity.  LOL 

• Like 2

I've avoided the Beyonce discussion overall, but I really don't get the excitement behind the song and imagery. What Kendrick Lamar did at the Grammys was a thousand times more powerful for the diaspora. Beyonce has a hook in her song that says "If he fuck me good, I take him to Red Lobster." That might be the tackiest shit I've ever heard in music outside of 2 Live Crew and Uncle Luke saying, "Hey we want some pussy." Doing a video set in Post Katrina New Orleans and using Mardi Gras imagery to support the above line isn't dope to me, but it is catchy as hell, just as the 2 Live Crew was catchy, but it wasn't empowering. 

I get that the fact that Beyonce is able to compete in entertainment at such a high level is empowering. Her status is important because she is doing something that is extremely difficult. Her music however is overall empty. She has made some great songs though in Independent Woman and To The Left. She is a hell of an entertainer though and business woman.

• Like 1

2Live Crew was trying to be funny, they  did not know that it would catch on.  You should see their history and the capital that they were able to manipulate because of the astounding success.

And to the defense of both, if I may, their lyrics are just an outward celebration of sexuality, which all other cultures are welcome to exhibit, except ours.

Beyonce is a married woman, with a child.  Enjoy your Red Lobster girl.

• Like 2

I'm cool with artists being artists... BUT I do want my artists to be like Nina Simone. I want my artists to be acutely aware of their environment and what is happening. I can't expect Beyonce to really create anything that is too challenging. She never has, so if the extent of her ability to show "awareness" is "Independent" and "Formation", it's what I expect. I am just dumbfounded that people found that empowering. The lyrics alone make it one of the oddest juxtapositions of imagery and lyrical content in music. I guess my point was that we have a very low bar, in my opinion, when Formation is something to be celebrated. Like Sara, I am not her core audience.

• Like 1

Nina Simone is beautiful, so was her art as is that of Shonda, Kerry, Rihanna, and any other sista out there ruling the world...including Beyonce. 

They are all aware of ywhat's going on or they would all say nothing, which is true of none of them.  

We are all Beyonce's audience which is why this post has turned into one encircling her magic. Like she said...you know you that.....when you cause all this conversation.  

• Like 1

Like I said, over all of these years I have never really written anything about Beyonce, I've never bought any music, the most I've done was enjoyed the Terrence Howard BET Lap dance which any guy would enjoy, lol. This will probably be the last time I actually say anything about her because as I said, nothing she does is groundbreaking and if you take a look at my site the artists I typically spend energy on are independent artist who are creating new sounds. I just find it really strange that the defense of Beyonce and this current "firestorm" is over a video where she actually doesn't say anything and utilizes imagery that gets people to talk. As a small biz person, if I really analyze what she's done I would say it was just an attempt at finally "killing" her nemesis Rihanna. This was one of the most amazing roach spray tactics I've ever seen. She effectively wiped Rihanna off of the map who had just released an album only a few days earlier. As a business person the move was savvy, but if she was "really" about empowerment of women she wouldn't have dealt her sister girl such a low blow.

As a sidenote, the person who directed Beyonce's Formation video is the same person who completed disregarded and disrespected Native Americans in a previous video. If that doesn't make you wonder about how empowering the project is, I don't know what will.

55 minutes ago, CDBurns said:

nothing she does is groundbreaking

http://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas/Houston/beyonce-inc/35767753.aspx   ;)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2015/05/27/beyonce-net-worth-in-2015-250-million/#166ae3bb7da5 

The aforementioned links are just a snapshot of  her business acumen.  This is groundbreaking enough to inspire me... and every time I speak or think of entrepreneurial activities, marketing, sales and self-made Beyonce is who I look to.  I don't know of other black woman with only a high school education who has taken her talent and worked into a solo success .  

Merriam -Webster : Success 2 b :  favorable or desired outcome; also :  the attainment of wealth, favor, or eminence

Beyonce may not play an instrument but she writes much of her music and either has publishing credits or writers credits - and we know this because when she with Destiny's child, the group won two grammys for writing "say my name"  - This in my opinion broke the mold of female group exploitation... These young women had ownership of their product... Maybe other young girl groups can claim the same but the groups in my generation usually found themselves broke because they had no writers credit or publishing of their very popular songs.. 

At a reported  $250 million in 2015 - she owns herself.  This too is inspiring in the day and age where many of us are drowning in debt... owning nothing  but what the bank allows us to share with them...

I too came from a middle class background.  My parents did their best to keep me at a positive net worth...but today, sometimes, I just wish to get to a net worth of 0 ...So when I look at Baby Girl Bey and see that she took her voice and writing ability and turned it into an empire ... Well, that's nothing but inspirational. 

• Like 1

LOL.  I am more impressed with you, Mel,  than I am with Beyonce, because I'm using a different criteria.   Success isn't always about making millions of dollars; your daughters are the stars in your crown. 

Also, I tend to believe that astute business man Jay-Z can take a lot of credit for the career moves that have netted Beyonce such big bucks, since most of the ones that had an impact occurred during their marriage, and I'm sure her parents filled this role before him  Or can I get enthusiastic over her winning a Grammy for writing the repetitive lyrics to a droning  little pop ditty. Obviously the generation gap is at work here.  

I do give Beyonce credit for being good at what she does; she's a great dancer and can carry a tune  and she has benefited from the mistakes of others.   But when it comes to being a role model, I'd put her in the same category as an NBA star, All young hoopsters want to be like Mike, but very few will make the cut.  These superstars are the stuff of dreams and I'd just advise those young girls who want to follow in their idol's footsteps  to have a Plan B  in case they aren't lucky enough to duplicate the success of Queen "B".  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Cynique said:

These superstars are the stuff of dreams and I'd just advise those young girls who want to follow in their idol's footsteps  to have a Plan B  in case they aren't lucky enough to duplicate the success of Queen "B". 

@Cynique, Agreed! 

What Beyonce has done with her career can be duplicated in any field!  She doesn't make her money off just her songs - Forbes breaks it down here perfectly... But it all starts with a platform  to launch from..  

Thank you for the kudos - Being a mom is my calling - I'm sad I'm an empty-nester but they are happy, kind and productive . So I can't ask for anything more :) ...

Except.... I definitely tell them to study the business model that brings in several revenue streams.  I've told them to package their talent and sell that, not their labor if they don't have too.  

Key insight there regarding what you mentioned about Jay Z , -  that is another  excellent business skill- selecting strategic partners.  Mellody Hobson mentioned the same thing in her Vanity Fair article.  You can only get but so far without good partners.   

It is true she may have only gotten so far with her brand of bubblegum r&b so next step would naturally be to obtain "street cred"... through an established player. These are some of the lessons I missed early on.  

So I had to step back and really study the women who are where I desire to be. I may not achieve it but I use a lot of what I've gleaned from their business moves to mentor my daughters .  

I can go on but I already hijacked this thread enough.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CDBurns said:

I'm talking artistry, let's not confuse what I'm talking about here.

Me too... When you read the "Art of Profitability" he discusses  the Pinnacle  of learning is Artistry.   - 

Awareness, Awkwardness, Application, Assimilation, and when you really get it, you have Artistry.  Adrian Slywotzky believes that you will never fully profit from your business unless you understand it.  In an effort to truly create value and then capture value you have to understand your market.  When you don't, you have a difficult time staying in business. 

Beyonce has taken her brand of performance and turned it into art.  Beyonce can dance, sing and she's attractive -BUT there are many on Broadway and in the studios singing backup - who are just like her.

However, she's created and captured the value of her offering  by simply knowing who she is  and who she's selling to and WORLDWIDE, I might add.. As we know art is subjective - not everyone will like your work...many great artists died penniless only to be discovered in another time.   Those artists, I say hadn't reached the pinnacle of Artistry. 

Cynique mentioned that everyone wants to be like Mike - and many will fall short.  Her words turned on a light bulb for me.  Michael Jordan is another example of Artistry.   In any field, there's no separation between business and artistry.  

• Like 1

I have never been one to knock the idea that being efficient at business is art, but this is not what I'm talking about. I'm saying her music lacks in creativity and substance. There really isn't any originality. I'm not willing to shift the discussion of her artistry in music, to her overall ability to earn money with her skill. The original point and discussion is in regard to how many people see Formation as "game/life" changing. It simply isn't and when you look at these lyrics

When he fuck me good I take his ass to Red Lobster, cause I slay
When he fuck me good I take his ass to Red Lobster, cause I slay

If he hit it right, I might take him on a flight on my chopper, cause I slay
Drop him off at the mall, let him buy some J's, let him shop up, cause I slay

I might get your song played on the radio station, cause I slay
I might get your song played on the radio station, cause I slay

You just might be a black Bill Gates in the making, cause I slay
I just might be a black Bill Gates in the making

I mean I could take any section of this song and when I post it, it becomes clear that this is not this:

I got a middle finger for mass media mute the news
'Cause when the gun draws received a million views
Which gives me the right to break the rules
Say fuck the radio if the people can't pick and choose
While BET gets screwed by Viacom
The new revolutionary is shyaman
It's not brush fire rap, it's five alarm
Motivational music after I am gone
My inner visions, mysticism call me Mr. Wisdom
They wanna turn the globe into a prison
And being sick is better than being dead
'Cause when you sick and in bed, you're indebted to meds
Cloned chickens walking around without heads
The food is contaminated, the water got lead in it
Population control, make the babies sick
All these 5G chips, are you for 86?
This is a war against consciousness
Controlling your soul, sort of a psychological dictatorship
And we are on the front lines
Guilty as charged if intellect is a crime

So attempting to justify what Beyonce does as art, with support is cool. If it was a paper in college I would give you an A, since you have created an idea/thesis and supported it, but I would not agree with it because it has an element of a red herring that takes the discussion away from how "Formation" is now a rallying cry and a symbol of the "best Black History Month" ever. It simply isn't.

Beyonce is married to a very wealthy man who got there because he was a drug dealer. Too often we fail to look at just where Jay started and only look at where he is. I've had multiple opportunities to do things the illegal way. Jay Z does not impress me. If you remove the drug money from Rocafella music there isn't any money to create and promote. Would he have been Jay-Z without that? Who knows, but it shouldn't be celebrated. When you two state that she benefits from his business acumen, that doesn't say a lot to me either because, once again dude killed his own people to get where he is.

I commend her business savvy. She is definitely a role model. She is a dope performer, but the notion that Formation is "groundbreaking" really is a sad testament to how little it takes to impress us as a people when there are so many more empowering things that could be presented as evidence of our power and greatness.

Oh and I definitely disagree with your statement that there is no separation between business and artistry. You need to clarify that. I've I ask you to "scan a line of poetry giving me the breakdown of the poem and whether it is using trochee or dactyls and why the poet chose to use a substitute foot," more than likely you will have no damn idea of what I just said without researching or looking up what I'm asking. The creation of a poem using poetic meter has absolutely nothing to do with business. Can it generate business? Yes, but creation is not a business thing and should not be so easily lumped in with it to prove a point.

• Like 2

THIS is ridiculous.  This post was supposed to b about a book that celebrated a milestone in American culture, one that supported diversity and children...the post became a critique...and when I remarked on the heavy handed criticism of Black folks w a reference to Beyoncé, then that remark was upheld w meaningless debate about Beyoncé.

This proves my point.  She has donated money and stood up on a way she saw fit...that's it.  She is a phenomenon. She didn't tear apart Rihanna, who also stood up for her culture by singing in her home dialect, Rihanna too is a phenomenon.  Let's build up things instead of critique the life out of them...especially when it's unnecessary.

THIS is not useful and further undermines our usefulness and validity as so called educated people.  Yes, I am a fan of Beyoncé, a big one, and Rihanna, and Kendrick, and Nina, and Malcolm and Martin, and Dubois and Washington.  If they are adding positively to a cause that effects us, then cool.  

Tearing them down is not and should not be our job.  Everyone else is already doing a fantastic job of that.  Even still, you see in protests where no one shows up and " work" being the number one song in America, that ain't nobody studying them either.

• Like 3

Well, Chasitie /Mary Sunshine, you don't dictate the direction posts take on this site.  The spontaneous input from others is what makes things stimulating here.  If you don't want others to participate in your self-serving posts whose only function seems  to be to solicit support for your project, then restrict your posts to your personal web site.  This forum is all about exchanging ideas, and it helps to have a sense of humor.   

• Like 2

Hey your name is Cynique, 

i get it... I'm not just self serving...I'm just making an observation.  I. Could see if these stars did nothing/ said nothing...which many have.  And stimulation you speak of has to have a purpose...what is the purpose of arguing about successful people who made an effort to help " the cause".  

And I have a great sense of humor, which is why I can laugh about the Black history memes and be An Africana Studies major, and a teacher.  Laugh at a movie like Friday and yearn for a diverse movie like Inception.  I just don't like to only critique.  

Maybe i should post on the memes...which are not on my blog ;)

I was digging the dialogue, but I guess it did detract from the original point of the post which was to highlight the book. I definitely think the discussion though is healthy enough to carry to another thread, or it can be left alone. I will make an effort now to keep my points on the original post. 

5 hours ago, CDBurns said:

Oh and I definitely disagree with your statement that there is no separation between business and artistry.

Why should I clarify if you disagree?  It is inside job to reconcile any opposing views one may hold.  I find when I do; I’m able to see what was hidden in plain sight when I release judgment.  

For more on the connection between business and artistry, however, check out Adrian Slywotzky, he is the leader in profitability and growth.  Slywotzky makes it clear how those who reach the level of artistry are consistently leaders in their field.  Even though he's not an African-American writer, I still say he is a must-read for anyone in business.     When you mentioned Artistry, I was quickly reminded that it’s a requirement when one is planning profits for a business.

As for Beyoncé, in my opinion, one song doesn't make an empire. It is the totality of her work, her decision-making, her song selections, etc., that have created social mini-movements which have made her (literally and figuratively) a leader in her field.  Artistry.  

As for the creation of poem not being a "business" the only thing I have to look up is the definition of "business".  When I go Merriam Webster again, #5 indicates a business is a creation/concoction. So unless that poem is committed to the writer's memory -and remains there, at some point there will be a transaction - maybe not a monetary transaction but as soon as it's published it will be disseminated. That is when that little poem rises to the #1 definition 

Once it does, unless the poet understands her work and her audience, although she may be learned poet she will have a way to go to achieve artistry.

So I can see from your perspective too - without Artistry you can have a business; but with Artistry you can be a Business leader. 

• Like 3

On 2/23/2016 at 9:39 AM, Cynique said:

Also, I tend to believe that astute business man Jay-Z can take a lot of credit for the career moves that have netted Beyonce such big bucks, since most of the ones that had an impact occurred during their marriage...

"You and me, BAE. Me, and you.  Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money. :D

12733419_1717142908521896_77943164904635