Sign in to follow this  
Delano

Invisible Black Males

20 hours ago, Troy said:

We live In a country where we've elected 45 as president, still you think everyone is sophisticated enough to see through the nonsense he and his trolls push out on social media.  If this does not tell you how easily people can be manipulated by social media  -- nothing can and I give up trying. 

Troy, how many times do you have to be reminded that Trump lost the popular vote by about 3 million votes?   Or that a comparatively small amount of black people voted for him, or support him now.   Liberal and Social Democrats and Independents  also didn't vote for and do not now support him and none of these groups are fooled by what Trump and his trolls put out on social  media!  They are more occupied with agreeing with all the anti-Trump memes and excerpts from anti-Trump Liberal publications, as well as arguing with and refuting Trump supporters.  So who are all of these unsophisticated folks who you claim are being misled by Trump trolls?  Trump's base are the ones who are guillible and misled and that's by choice.   Social media was what greatly contributed to getting out the vote which resulted  in Dems gaining a majority in  Congress.  So you do need to give up trying, because the point you are struggling to make is weak. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Troy said:

hear you Mel.  From my perspective woman/man is a gender ladies/gentleman is more polite and formal way of addressing someone.  I think we should keep that distinction, as it make the language richer.  It is like the word father:  a sperm donor is a father, but there is no English word to distinguish one who raises their children

Dad

• Haha 1

@Cynique as you well know the popular votes does not matter why brig it up.  45 won the electoral college.  The Russian are not stupid they did not just all willy nilly post positive Trump content.  They went in, with surgical precision and target the right people with the right message encourage some not to vote and firing up his base in swing states.  You clearly are unaware of the scope and magnitude of the campaign waged on Facebook to influence the election.

@Delano, Dad is synonymous with father and does not connote anything about the quality of rearing.  You have to say he is a "good" dad or "poor" dad to make the distinction. 

Dad Daddy Pop Pops Daddy Poppie Pa are all synonymous with father. There's an implied affection because of informality. If the young child is calling his parent father this implies formality and perhaps a lack of warmth or emotion. 

Big Daddy, Sugar Daddy, Big Poppa, Daddy O, Dads Da. 

The following were movie which ones do you think were mire formal . 

Poppie 

Da

Big Daddy

The Good Father 

6 hours ago, Troy said:

I hear you Mel.  From my perspective woman/man is a gender ladies/gentleman is more polite and formal way of addressing someone.   

Like a Lady of the Night. 

4 hours ago, Delano said:

Like a Lady of the Night

Yes much more polite than hooker, whore, prostitute, street walker, etc.

4 hours ago, Delano said:

There's an implied affection because of informality.

You imply it but that it is not universal, the way the words Woman and Lady are. You can find that distinction in the dictionary. 

If I say, "he is my dad," that does not tell you if he was a good dad or bad dad.

However, if is say she is a lady that tells you something positive about the caliber of the woman.

Now I appreciate lady comes with some baggage of culturally defined rules of what being a lady means, but there is a distinction none the less.

@Delano, English is your first language right? I feel like im teaching my GED class to a non native speaker 😉

• Thanks 1

A lot of interesting thoughts in the conversation.

Let me just say that AfroAmerican women can't have it BOTH ways.

They can't run around society telling everyone how STRONG they are and taking pride in being strong and aggressive and relishing in the fact that they are independent and don't need a man because they're strong enough to take care of themselves.........
But as soon as racist Caucasian men start attacking them and putting the fire to their ass they want to run back home and start banging on the door demanding help and support from the AfroAmerican men they just dismissed as being ineffective and untrustworthy.

AfroAmerican women need to decide WHO their allies will be: White women or Black men.

Many of these White feminists that AfroAmerican women were singing songs with and roasting marshmellows with as they bashed "toxic mascuinity" together infront of camp fires have run off and abandoned them now.
They've gotten back with their wealthy and influencial White husbands.
.....Black women better wake up soon!

Goldie Taylor needs to WAKE UP!

Better yet someone needs to call her tonight and WAKE HER UP.

Wake her up from the middle of her deep fried turkey dream sleep with cornbread crumbs still falling out of her mouth and ask her IN WHOM does she place her trust and dedicate her loyalty:  White woman or the Black man?

21 hours ago, Troy said:

as you well know the popular votes does not matter why brig it up.  45 won the electoral college.  The Russian are not stupid they did not just all willy nilly post positive Trump content.  They went in, with surgical precision and target the right people with the right message encourage some not to vote and firing up his base in swing states.  You clearly are unaware of the scope and magnitude of the campaign waged on Facebook to influence the election.

The popular vote does matter when it comes to showing how flawed the electoral college is! The fact that Hillary got millions more votes than Trump was a moral victory for Dems  and provided a push-back for Trump's bragging as well as offering proof that victory has been unfairly denied  Democrats; twice! And you are right up there with the Trumpites trying to dismiss this fact as insignificant!   Bottom line, the Republicans won the presidency on a fluke, but this would've probably happened whether the Russian scammed FaceBook or not because Trump, himself, appealed to racists malcontents in key states,  all on his own.     

Yes, the Russians galvanized stupid white voters, but the only impact they had on the black vote was to make them hate Trump more.  Yes, the Russians polarized the country  by fueling the flame of racial discord, and FaceBook inadvertantly helped them, but nobody had to convince blacks to oppose the party of George Bush, who they detested and disrespected, - the party of Barak Obama who they were loyal to.  Yes, Bernie, may have siphoned off black votes from Hillary, but the fact remains that the majority of black people stuck by Hillary, as the lesser of 2 evils and the Russians and FaceBook had nothing to do with it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  As opposed to you who are in denial about the significance of the popular vote being won by Hillary.  

14 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

...They can't run around society telling everyone how STRONG they are and taking pride in being strong and aggressive and relishing in the fact that they are independent and don't need a man because they're strong enough to take care of themselves.........
But as soon as racist Caucasian men start attacking them and putting the fire to their ass they want to run back home and start banging on the door demanding help and support from the AfroAmerican men they just dismissed as being ineffective and untrustworthy.

No body wanted to "run back home, banging on the door looking for support from black men.    The argument that black male journalists and political office holders were missing in action when it came to defending their female colleagues from Trump's bullying  was a retort from black women.  It was given in response to  black men who were saying that they protect their women.  Also accompanying this retort to men's claims, were remarks in regard to  how reassuring it was that sistas had each other's backs and were strong enough to withstand injury.   As For Goldie,  Mel explained where she was coming from, but it apparently went right over your head.  That's why i give her "likes" because she's always on point.      

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Troy said:

Delano, English is your first language right? I feel like im teaching my GED class to a non native speaker 😉

Could you proof my writing and the ideas. 

23 hours ago, Troy said:

Pew Research publishes studies on this each year.

I’m aware of Pew Research and read their reports too - I’ve actually linked some of the reports here. Although I don’t believe I used the reference to answer a question but rather to let others know SOME research is available 

However, @Troy this doesn’t answer the question.

If you and I were the sample - it would indicate 100% of social media users read a mininum of 2.5 full-length novels and non-fiction books per month.

Add in 3/4 of my list of twitter followers (authors) and those I follow (journalists, authors, directors,  show creators) and that number could rise to 5 books per month. 

So please let’s stop assuming social media is an influence on our intellectual prowess or lack of it . It’s just another platform competing for attention. 

By the way, you can deep dive into cultures through social media too - and a lot quicker than reading one person’s  personal perspective in a book.  

cultural information shared in real time and co-signed by others is far more valuable then an independent voice whose been edited down to appeal to the average audience.  (Yes mainstream books appeal to the average audience)

Coming full-circle, your rant against SM speaks more to the group of middle-aged black men that you say are invisible in media. 

Identity politics is an outgrowth of social media as it was an ideal platform to form alliances and advocate for their causes.  

You mentioned black men don’t use social media that way.  Maybe this answers the question as to why black men don’t advocate for black women -

Through your words it appears black men don’t collectively use any platform to advocate for themselves.  

Damn, now that I think about the last time black men got together was when Minister Farakhan called y’all to Washington in ‘95. !?!?   oh snap!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cynique said:

FaceBook inadvertantly helped them

I'm not so convinced of this now.  Did you know Marky Z. knew about Russian meddling before it was known to the public?

majority of black people stuck by Hillary, as the lesser of 2 evils and the Russians and FaceBook had nothing to do with it.

This is simply not true and is documented as such.  When I was active on social media, I was feed so much anti-Hillary stuff, I almost did not vote for her.  Cynique, it was you you talked some sense into me. The FACT is that Black voter turnout was LOWER in 2016. You can say that Facebook, and social media in general, had no impact, you are very ;ikely wrong given what we know today. 

Cynique, you are smart and by nature cynical.  You lived MOST of your life before there were smartphones and commercial Internet.  The majority of people running around today are NOT like you -- a huge portion of the electorate is deeply influenced and in many ways controlled by social media. 

I've seen all sides and have been a keen observer of the internet even before is was made available to the public.  Rather than stubbornly sticking to your story, consider the information of someone who knows more about the subject than you.  

11 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

They can't run around society telling everyone how STRONG they are and taking pride in being strong and aggressive and relishing in the fact that they are independent and don't need a man because they're strong enough to take care of themselves

There is some true to this statement.  I can say, in the south, culturally gender roles are much better defined. Some call it "old-fashioned," in any case it i certainly less confusing 🙂 People who don't like this can always move to NYC or San Francisco. 

The argument that black male journalists and political office holders were missing in action when it came to defending their female colleagues from Trump's bullying  was a retort from black women. 

Yes that is the point of what I call Black male invisibility! First, please don't judge Black men collectively by this group of politicians and journalists. 

Second, when 45 was trying to shut down the white  guy another white guy immediately vouched for him. When he was dissing April Ryan. Was there another Brother in the room to voucher for her? Was another Brother even given a mic during the entire press conference? Would this mythical Brother have jeopardized the press credentials for the media outlet he represented? 

32 minutes ago, Mel Hopkins said:

By the way, you can deep dive into cultures through social media too

Yes, I know you feel this way.  I of course complete disagree, for the reasons previously stated and more.

34 minutes ago, Mel Hopkins said:

Through your words it appears black men don’t collectively use any platform to advocate for themselves.  

If you mean Twitter or Facebook no.  Again, you can not use the tool of our opressor for our liberation, because we do not own or control it.  There are fewer Black owned websites today which get much traffic or generate much revenue than there were 10 years ago.  As Nubian Fellow was trying to explain Black people don't use our platforms (present company excluded). 

I sent you that DM Tweet correcting the WKDU story, which gave Publishers Weekly credit for my research.  Then they lied and said it was because there are a variety of different numbers out there counting bookstores, that is because those sources reference my database at different times and publish different numbers. This is easy to determine,  but rather than reference a Black-male owned website they instead gave credit to Publishers Weekly, the venerated white publication.  This is a subtle form of marginalization that AALBC experiences regularly that goes unchallenged. -- even by my supporters.

The full impact of this, over two decades, is impossible to describe on a discussion forum (that is what books are for 🙂), but the bottom line is that we do not have any platforms that Black people support to a great enough extent to effectively advocate for ourselves. 

Many of us make great sacrifices trying.

You mentioned the million man march, which as you know the mainstream media marginalized as well, focusing on Farrakhan personality (this influence is why many Black people dislike him). Today the Final Call Newspaper is perhaps he largest Black owned Newspaper in the country.  The National Newspaper Publishers Association voted it the best newspaper in the country (out of 200 newspapers).  As far as I know it is the ONLY nationally distributed newspaper in the U.S.

Of course the biggest disadvantage of the publication is that it is run by the National of Islam, so many Black people will not touch it.  Say what you will about the Nation, they have demonstrated the power of Black institutions and what is possible.  

But since they are marginalized by mainstream media Black people generally don't see the potential.

5 minutes ago, Troy said:

I sent you that DM Tweet correcting the WKDU story, which gave Publishers Weekly credit for my research. 

I rest my case.

That DM, nor Twitter, will fix a thing.  It ever has and never will.  I predict Twitter's demise shorty after 45 leaves office.

39 minutes ago, Troy said:

The FACT is that Black voter turnout was LOWER in 2016. 

@Troy  you’re all over the place.

Let me fix this for you.  Since you mentioned GA elections in a previous post  - I’ll use it as a guide. 

Here you go “

@Cynique, I don’t dispute the fact  black people were rallying for Hillary Clinton - but we now know some Black voters were disfranchised in the 2016 Elections - a concerted effort made by unscrupulous GOP secretary of states that sought to suppress the black vote.  For example a recent expose revealed the Secretary of State Kemp purged 1.4 million voter registrations (mostly in Black precincts)  since 2010 

We didn’t know  then but as a result of more black people running for top state offices shed light on voter suppression in key electoral states. “

26 minutes ago, Troy said:

That DM, nor Twitter, will fix a thing. 

🙄 You, the point; never the two shall meet...

TROY!  You just admitted you used Twitter (social media) to correct the writer!   

1 hour ago, Mel Hopkins said:

TROY!  You just admitted you used Twitter (social media) to correct the writer!   

{exasperated sigh} Mel I could have used email to accomplish the same thing, I simply used Twitter as a means for communication, because that was what WKDU provided. I DM'ed you because I know you use Twitter and it was trivial to forward the message to you on Twitter.  Again the same could have been accomplished via email, but you meet people where they are.  I could not have done the same thing using Facebook -- simply because neither you or I used Facebook.  That does not make Twitter platform for eliminating racism or anything more significant.  It is a commercial platform designed to generate profit, seemingly at any cost.

I could not have shared the message with Cynique, or any of my family or most of my friends, because none of them use Twitter.  

Twitter's days are numbered (you heard it hear first).

img_51421.jpg

Again what’s relevant is the platform YOU USED to contact the writer... and the station. 

I USED AALBC platform (social media) to link the article that I got in my personal email.  

So, thank you again for proving my point. 😊

3 hours ago, Troy said:
12 hours ago, Cynique said:

majority of black people stuck by Hillary, as the lesser of 2 evils and the Russians and FaceBook had nothing to do with it.

This is simply not true and is documented as such.  When I was active on social media, I was feed so much anti-Hillary stuff, I almost did not vote for her.  Cynique, it was you you talked some sense into me. The FACT is that Black voter turnout was LOWER in 2016. You can say that Facebook, and social media in general, had no impact, you are very ;ikely wrong given what we know today. 

So,  you're saying the majority of black folks didn't vote for Hillary as the lesser of 2 evils, and then citing yourself as a reluctant black voter who did vote for her.  Who, then, did the majority of black voters vote for? While keeping in mind all the black votes that weren't counted, i am saying that it doesn't matter if the black turnout was less than the previous election because the majority of those who did turn out, voted for Hillary and this was due in part to black people like you who voted for her in spite of their misgivings. In other words, you haven't made your point.  And you are also implying that if social media didn't exist then the Russians couldn't have influenced the election and Hillary would've won.  Pure speculation and if this conclusion is based on  the vague "documentation" you refer to,  then i am again underwhelmed especially if it was the finding of the analysts  who previously predicted Hillary would win.  

Of course, I'm just expressing  my take on this subject, but there are a lot of really informed smart black folks who make up the black twitter community and who could  construct a strong case in support of it.  What is your rationale for predicting Twitter will end with Trump's presidency?      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Twitter (like Facebook) is losing users and is already largely irrelevant to the most desired demographic, young people.  Of the last three years only one or two of my students numbering more than 50 each semester say that Twitter is in the top 2 of their social media platforms.

None of my friends outside of marketers (a handful) and political wonks (even fewer) use twitter.

While Mel keeps saying I'm proving her point because I used Twitter to send a message, what she is failing to recognize, actually using the platform requires actively engaging on it. I used Facebook for the same reason, for many authors (too many if you ask me), the ONLY way to reach them, if you don't have their contact info, is to look them up on Facebook.

I don't engage on Twitter, because it does not drive traffic and no one I'm friends with uses the platform save the few exceptions I mentioned which includes Mel and Chris Burns.

45 Tweets and the media who feed off of them are keeping Twitter afloat for now.  Indeed it took the 12 years for twitter become profitable and this was just Q4 2017.  and there stock price is too volatile. Their ad sales are dwarfed by Facebook whose ad sales are dwarfed by Google's.  Twitter is a marginal, peripheral, player in online ad sales and largely attractive to older, less tech savvy people like 45.  Again they have a monopoly on 45's online ravings so they are over achieving right now.

Obviously my predictions of Twitter's demise are not a statement of fact, or certainly. It is just my opinion and some wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, Cynique said:

you're saying the majority of black folks didn't vote for Hillary as the lesser of 2 evils

No I did not say that, but it may in fact be true once you factor in the disenfranchised voters, the ones who stayed home, the ones who votes for Bernie and the 10% of Black voters who actually voted for 45.

And you are also implying that if social media didn't exist then the Russians couldn't have influenced the election and Hillary would've won.  Pure speculation and if this conclusion is based on  the vague "documentation" you refer to,

Allow me to be clear, I'm not implying it, this is what I'm saying.  Vague documentation -- indeed!  @Cynique, try reading something outside your social media filter bubble.

2 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

I USED AALBC platform (social media) to link the article that I got in my personal email.  

AALBC Social media platform -- Bite your tongue woman!  Don't group AALBC in with Twitter and Facebook -- unless the private investors are going to give me money to lose until I become profitable. LOL!

There needs to be another term for what we are doing here.  Social media, for me, has become synonymous with manipulation, the creation of filter bubble, profiting off personal information, data mining, creating addiction, brokering in celebrity scandal and the like. 

6 hours ago, Troy said:

There is some true to this statement.  I can say, in the south, culturally gender roles are much better defined.

This implies restrictive is better. 

Let's copy the southern way, the South has risen in the mind of Troy. 

6 hours ago, Troy said:

I've seen all sides and have been a keen observer of the internet even before is was made available to the public

Then why would you be swayed by social media in the last two years. So you didn't learn anything from 1989 - 2015. And you got perspective from Cynique. Yet you are claiming  expertise. Looking forward to your responses. 

@Troy

@Mel Hopkins

@Cynique

@NubianFellow

@Pioneer1

1 hour ago, Troy said:

There needs to be another term for what we are doing here.  Social media, for me, has become synonymous with manipulation, the creation of filter bubble, profiting off personal information, data mining, creating addiction, brokering in celebrity scandal and the like. 

If there are more arguments we can call it antisocial medium. AM

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Delano said:

antisocial medium

LOL! Man that is the only thing you've said that made sense in the last two months! 😂

This implies restrictive is better. 

Let's copy the southern way, the South has risen in the mind of Troy. 

While it does imply some restrictions I'm not saying it is "better."  I just find in the south women, in general, have no problem adhering to the more traditional gender roles.  This is good for some people and not for others. I'm not making any value judgements. I'm just saying what it is. 

Then why would you be swayed by social media in the last two years. So you didn't learn anything from 1989 - 2015. And you got perspective from Cynique. Yet you are claiming  expertise.

It is not a "claim." I objectively know more about the www than anyone else here -- full stop, end of story. Just accept it man. 

@Delano, I'm not sure why you are going back to the 80's the net was not publically available back then.  But I was actually a user of the internet I have had an email address since 1980.  I'm not ever sure why you are bringing up the 90's either social media, as we know it today, did not exist. Antisocial media did not emerge until the the past decade, so lets keep things in perspective, OK?

As far as Cynique giving me perspective, she did not say I was being manipulated by social media -- neither she, or I, knew it at the time.  Besides this is a phenomenon Cynique currently disputes, so she would not have arrived at that conclusion, that was my conclusion.

Look, when Facebook first appeared people where playing Farmville and discovering old friends, no one outside of Facebook knew that it would become human manipulation engine, hell bent on global domination that would become.  It took time before Facebook revealed itself to be the great evil that it is.  It actually took me a couple of years after arriving at this conclusion to completely delete my account. 

Part of the reason was the fear of missing out on something, which I know is one of the strategies Facebook uses to keep people connected.  If you ever try to delete your account you'll see the slick techniques they use to keep you from actually cutting the cord.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Troy said:

Of the last three years only one or two of my students numbering more than 50 each semester say that Twitter is in the top 2 of their social media platforms.

None of my friends outside of marketers (a handful) and political wonks (even fewer) use twitter.

@Troy Why is it you can make judgments based on miniscule samplings from your closed circle of acquaintances, and i can't without being accused of existing in a bubble??  i have a broad cross section of relatives and friends and they are who help shape my opinions. I am not as sheltered as you think.   

FaceBook is different things to different people.  i actually go there to be amused and engaged.  There are a lot of funny memes and posts that crack me up, excerpts from liberal publications, old musical videos from back in the day, a spiritual community of loonie new-age nuts like me, a pop culture gossip mill, a site dedicated to my old home town, where present and former residents congregate to reminisce about the good hold days, ditto for my old high school's page  where alums show up to share memories.  And of course, discussions where you can argue about religion and politics. FaceBook is just one of the stops on my cyber itinerary. I spend more time playing on-line Bridge than i do there.  So shoot me.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cynique said:

Why is it you can make judgments based on miniscule samplings from your closed circle of acquaintances, and i can't without being accused of existing in a bubble??

Sheesh Cynique, I will relate anecdotes. There is nothing wrong with this, but stop making believe that this is the only evidence I'm provided.  There are great volumes of data that speak to the changing demographics of Facebook that I've previous shared and that you can easily look up if you wanted.

@Cynique stop making my justified critique of Facebook all about YOU and please spare me the explanation of why people use Facebook. Remember I'm the inhouse WWW expert😛

Please, use Facebook, smoke cigarettes, get drunk, eat pork, go to church, don't read books, have unprotected sex with strangers, do whatever makes you happy in this life, but stop making believe that Facebook is not having adverse impact on our culture. 

Just because YOU did not die from smoking cigarettes does not mean it is not a scourge killing over 1,000 people a day in the United States alone.  If you ran around here playing down the ill effects of cigarette smoking, I'd challenge you every day of the week.  The same goes for Facebook.

26 minutes ago, Troy said:

Please, use Facebook, smoke cigarettes, get drunk, eat pork, go to church, don't read books, have unprotected sex with strangers, do whatever makes you happy in this life

I have never read a book during sex. So I'll have to agree with Troy. 

Wouldn't having sex imply knowing the person, at least in the biblical sense. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Delano said:

Yet you are claiming  expertise. Looking forward to your responses

I got nothing @Delano...

Expertise is pretty much worthless.  

The value is in the use of the expertise, how it can be of service and most important,  if anyone wants to use the service.  

For example,  Mark Zuckerberg, Tom from MySpace, the guys from google (neither of who created the search engine) the guys who created youtube, Jack,  the list goes on never claimed to be internet experts.  Coding, maybe  but  from here it seems what they all have in common is expertise in human behavior.  

They all provided a service that millions  of us didn’t know we wanted but now we use.    

The rest of us can complain about their creations.   The bottomline -is they chose to create something and we can either use or not.   End of story. 

@Troy Where in my post did i say that FaceBook was harmless ??  And i repeat why are your anecdotes any more valid than mine, or my experiences on Facebook  any less significant than yours which are all about your vested interests.  i said it was different things to different people. i have to suffer through your dire predictions and personal grievances over and  over in regard to social media. It's not always about you, either so stop bitching about me reiterating why people go to FaceBook.  And refresh me in regard to what the end result will be for Facebook and Twitter users. if they all stop going to these sites today what would happen?  By chance,  could there be a domino or trickle-down effect that would impact on people from all walks of life who work for or depend on the goods and services that can only be provided by corporations making a profit from social media??? 😮  Is there the remotest possibility that the users and suppliers are scratching each others backs??? 😯 Meanwhile everybody should gratefully heed your high tech ominous warnings and become robots of a different type.  Instead of strolling through a deluded existence that provides an enjoyable respite, they should instead trudge through the gloom of reality, stifled by the knowledge that as dull as their lives are they are not being manipulated. Big deal! I suppose all of these simple people who you are the champion of should, instead of experiencing things, just read books and watch Public TV and treat themselves once in a while to a YouTube video of 1970 vintage.  Oh, joy!   🤨 

4 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

Expertise is pretty much worthless.  

And interesting observation as is your statement below about social media moguls.

4 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

They all provided a service that millions  of us didn’t know we wanted but now we use.    

The rest of us can complain about their creations.   The bottomline -is they chose to create something and we can either use or not.   End of story. 

And so it goes...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cynique said:

And interesting observation as is your statement below about social media

@Cynique  , this epiphany came after reading two twitter threads on the Sentinelese people who have survived on a island near India with little contact to the “modern” world.  Two “twitterers” are expert in the history of these people - but until this week - their information was of service to practically no one.  

See here - 

A friend of mine said a while back, knowledge is NOT power. USE of Knowledge is Power.  

• Like 1

Professor Small. I be not as educated as thou having only achieve a GAD Genuine

Ass in Nine

Da Gris Gris. 

These Phyllis Steens are smiting thee. 

@Mel Hopkins if that is the story about the white American missionary who went in to convert those people (we dont know what they xall themselves) imagine if Africans reacted that way to the Europeans who 1st stepped onto the African shores...

6 hours ago, Cynique said:

Where in my post did i say that FaceBook was harmless ??  

@Cynique, based ipon your ardent defense of the platform and your jumping down my throat everytime i say anything negative about the site. Have you ever said anthing about the site causing harm? If so show me 'cause i obviously missed that.

My last post answered all your questions. I dont begrude any individual for doing what makes them happy. My gripe is with Facebook, cigarette makers, etc. I don't blame victims.

@Delano  ?

@Mel Hopkins if that is the story about the white American missionary who went in to convert those people (we dont know what they call themselves) imagine if Africans reacted that way to the Europeans who 1st stepped onto the African shores...

6 hours ago, Cynique said:

Where in my post did i say that FaceBook was harmless ??  

@Cynique, based ipon your ardent defense of the platform and your jumping down my throat everytime i say anything negative about the site. Have you ever said anthing about Facebook being harmful? If so, show me 'cause i obviously missed that.

My last post answered all your questions. I dont begrude any individual for doing what makes them happy. My gripe is with Facebook, cigarette makers, etc. I don't blame victims.

@Delano  ?

21 minutes ago, Troy said:

imagine if Africans reacted that way to the Europeans who 1st stepped onto the African shores...

@Troy , if only that thread was in a book you would’ve read that the researcher wrote  THEY ARE AFRICANS - maybe even from the first tribes that  left Africa to begin migration across the world.  And Yes, the researcher/journalist does cite some books - (in the thread) about why this group is hostile to outsiders.  Read: it involves a pedophile/penis-envious british man who attempted to “study” the tribe back in the 1800s...(smh)

According to researcher, who appears to be Indian, this particular group , the Sentinelese, remained on this island near  India in the  land mass now called Asia since their arrival - and that’s what was so fascinating!  And even more stunning is @Pioneer1 always talks about original “africans” not originating in Africa but India and once you look at the photos - and read the scholarship presented...it’s  enough to consider what Pioneer has been talking about these past months! 😳

44 minutes ago, Troy said:

based ipon your ardent defense of the platform and your jumping down my throat everytime i say anything negative about the site. Have you ever said anthing about Facebook being harmful? If so, show me 'cause i obviously missed that.

@Troy ardent? defense?  Have i ever said Facebook was anything other than a pass time, not to be taken seriously?  That's where we butt heads.  You take FaceBook seriously, and i don't. To me it's pap, to you it's poison.  You see gloom and doom hovering on the horizon, i see a daily dose of laughter, you lecture me and i taunt you. You think i'm trapped in a bubble and i think your locked out of perspective.  You say Twitter and Facebook arent long for this world, and neither am i. So why should i sweat it?   I'll leave the worrying to you. i have more pressing crises to fret about, like e-mail eliminating the post office and, thus, my pension.  i don't wanna die poor.  😬

You take FaceBook seriously, and i don't.

I guess there it is in a nut shell.

I'm sure your pension is secure as long as you need it. Someone has to carry all the junk mail we get 🙂

5 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

it’s  enough to consider what Pioneer has been talking about these past months! 😳

@Mel Hopkins please don't encourage @Pioneer1 LOL!

• Haha 1

Professor Smalls may I call you by your first name Conflaytion. 

6 hours ago, Troy said:

based ipon your ardent defense of the platform and your jumping down my throat everytime i say anything negative about the site. Have you ever said anthing about Facebook being harmful? If so, show me 'cause i obviously missed that.

@Troy ardent? defense?  Have i ever said Facebook was anything other than a pass time, not to be taken seriously?  That's where we butt heads. 

@Troyyour expertise is drowned out by your hatred for Google Facebook et Al. It seems so emotional it detracts from your position.

Yet you rely on Google professional which is understandable. And personally which is not. 

40 minutes ago, Troy said:

It's an unfunny joke. 

Man, why is everything so Black and white with you all.  Why does everything have to be all of nothing.  I'm certain I use Google's suite of services more than anyone here.  That coupled with my WWW expertise allows me to better understand them than you all. 

Google has paid AALBC more than any other entity BAR NONE.  AALBC has both helped and hurt by Google.  The WWW at large has been both helped and hurt by Google.   I believe Google monopoly in search is doing more harm than good.

To say my expertise is drowned out by my "hatred" of Google is ridiculous.  I appreciate my unique perspective allows me to see thing you simply can't, but because you cant see it does not make it untrue or the result of hatred.

Now Facebook, in my opinion has been FAR more destructive, all things considered, than Google. We can share memes without having our data collected and used to manipulate us, our state of mind, elections, etc, the way Facebook does.  Facebook, in my opinion, is as bad a big tobacco, I may hate Facebook, but that came after years of use, observation, and yes... dare I say it... books.

@Delano, your joke may have been funny I just did not get it 🙂

@Troy  I have been on Facebook  since 2010, and have also been using Google for about that long.  I assume all the spam and pop up ads that clutter my "in box"  are a result of this. (l also think some of my spam mail has a been triggered by the subject of discussions on this very site.) My  response to this has been to simply delete everything that is of no interest to me, and that is a lot.  Social media has never swayed my vote on any political candidate but it has exacerbated my dislike for Trump and right wing Republicans.  Other than that, i have experienced no major difference in my personal sphere.  Calling on all of your expertise, explain to me how i am being manipulated by this activity and what will be done with the information gathered on me and who is it that will be doing it? And how really dangerous is the situation?  If the delete key generated a profit i would. indeed, makes its source rich.  

• Like 1

Professor Smalls

Perhaps it is a smaller part in our lives. Plus it isn't putting me out of business. 

Gmail has its uses. Facebook allows me to keep in contact with people for low cost. Even had generated some interest in my Astrology practice. Allows me to be in contact with a few really good astrologers. It's actually my main news source. Which can be problematic as you know. 

At one point I even tried to use it to create a discussion group with you and two friends of mine. My friend Said is from Uni. He is from Zaire makes films about Africa and the cast and crew are Black, he does this on the side. He teaches primarily Black students and also runs an award winning debate team. Rik I met a few years after Uni. Also a Black Man he grew up in Brooklyn when it was rough. Also is into script writing in the side. But is in sales predominately. 

They were both keen as was I to be four Black Men in different field having discussions about issues. And the audience would be young Blacks. You never responded. 

2 hours ago, Cynique said:

My  response to this has been to simply delete everything that is of no interest to me, and that is a lot.

Email which is a great tools has been destroyed by marketers and phishing schemes and the like.  I shared really bad one here which actually had an old password I used (obviously from a hacked website).  I also get email from my bank, domain name registrar, invoices, etc all fake trying to get my personal information. I'm not surprised people fall for these for they are much more sophisticated than the Nigerian price looking for someplace to deposit funds. 90 or more of my email is garbage -- FAR worse than my physical mail.  🙂

2 hours ago, Cynique said:

Social media has never swayed my vote on any political candidate but it has exacerbated my dislike for Trump and right wing conservatives.  Other than that, i have experienced no major difference in my personal sphere.  Calling on all of your expertise, explain to me how i am being manipulated by this activity and what will be done with the information gathered on me and who is it that will be doing it? 

Again I suggest that you don't extend your personal experience with social media to the general population of users.  Here is an example that I previously gave you:  We know that Russians targeted African Americans in the 2016 election, by bombarding us with anti-Clinton rhetoric and some cases outright lies. We know Black voter participation was down in the 2016 election. It is pretty easy to connect the dots on this one.  So while you were not impacted (beyond hating trump more).  I and many other people in my filter bubble was... the disgruntled electorate fed up with both parties to the point we would vote for the 3rd party candidate or no one all all. 

Also it is hard to convince someone who is being manipulated that they are being manipulated.  Once it became clear to me that I was being manipulated the strategies Facebook uses became plain and then irritating. Which i why I simply stopped using it.

1 hour ago, Delano said:

It's actually my main news source.

@Delano, maybe this is why you are a climate change denyer.  Why consume news on a platform known to promulgate fake news stories?

As far as the Black male group, I don't recall seeing the invitation, but you know I stopped engaging in Facebook groups years ago.

1 minute ago, Troy said:

Email which is a great tools has been destroyed by marketers and phishing schemes and the like.  I shared really bad one here which actually had an old password I used (obviously from a hacked website).  I also get email from my bank, domain name registrar, invoices, etc all fake trying to get my personal information. I'm not surprised people fall for these for they are much more sophisticated than the Nigerian price looking for someplace to deposit funds. 90 or more of my email is garbage -- FAR worse than my physical mail.  🙂

Again I suggest that you don't extend you personal experience with social media to the general population of users.  Here is an example that I previously gave you:  We also know that Russians target African Americans in the 2016 election, but bombarding us with anti-Clinton rhetoric and some cases outright lies. We know Black voter participation was down in the 2016 election. It is pretty easy to connect the dots on this one.  So while you were not impacted.  I and many people in my filter bubble was... the disgruntled electorate feed up with both parties to the point we would vote for the 3rd party candidate or not all all. 

@Delano, maybe this is why you are a climate change denyer.  Why consume news on a platform known to promulgate fake news stories?

As far as the Black male group, I don't recall seeing the invitation, but you know I stopped engaging in Facebook groups years ago.

Not my position but you continually conflate ideas. 

You may recall that a statement was made that John McCain was responsible for deaths on aircraft carrier. I had seen this story on Facebook and didn't think it was true. It wasn't. 

Because I think critically. 

@Troy Your response didn't enlighten me. How much of the internet scamming and phishing going on can be traced to the victims' participation in social media which, itself, regularly dispenses anecdotal warnings about the clever techniques of scam artists.  As for the election, obviously Russia didn't exert as much influence on the outcome as the electoral college did.  But for it, the Democrats would've won, in spite of the Hate Hillary campaign launched by the Russians. In regard to Hillary, the "lesser-of-2 evils"mindset of blacks prevailed over Russian propaganda. Even in the red states  the majority of  blacks voted for her.  So spare me the theory about Russians turning blacks against Hillary via social media.  The blacks and whites who didn't bother to vote because of Russian ploys  don't really count and other "stay-at-homes" probably weren't denizens of social media which is why saying fewer blacks voted during this election has little relevance.  You never question things that support your argument but, like everybody else, you find fault with rebuttals. What you have convinced me of, however, is what you are so quick to remind me about: i am not representative of the gullible people you are talking about. Soooo,  i'll just be on my merry way, manipulation be damned!   La dee dah dah daaaaaah 🤗

• Like 1