Toni Morrison Passes

Troy Johnson and Toni MorrisonToni Morrison lived to be 88. She had a tremendously successful and, I trust happy, life.  Today I received a lot of email from friends informing me of Morrison's passing describing it as "sad" and even "horrible." I understand the permanent loss of anyone, especially someone so talented, is sad, but Morrison's transition is the culmination of a life well lived, a life worth celebrating. We all should be so blessed.

R.I.P. Toni Morrison

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2019 at 11:50 AM, Troy said:

I understand the permanent loss of anyone, especially someone so talented, is sad, but Morrison's transition is the culmination of a life well lived, a life worth celebrating. We all should be so blessed.

Let the church say "AMEN" and celebrate life!

• Thanks 1

A good friend of mine, who was friends with Morrison, shared video interview with Morrison and the late Ed bradley with me.  I'd forgotten just how large Morrison was.  

Which Black American journalist today, with a significant platform, could interview a Black American novelist half as accomplished as Morrison?  Which two could team up today and give as good an interview? Then you can think about loss...

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/60-minutes-1998-novelist-toni-morrison-in-a-probing-interview-with-ed-bradley/  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Troy said:

Which Black American journalist today, with a significant platform, could interview a Black American novelist half as accomplished as Morrison? 

@Troy any of them!   BUT who has a product like CBS' 60 Minutes to distribute that caliber of an interview?    

Maybe because I was a managing editor/news producer for a CBS' Network Affiliate I understand what goes into making a polished product like 60 Minutes,
CBS Sunday or even  48 hours. 

Ed Bradley was an excellent journalist but trust me, 60 Minutes, Sunday Morning et al - also has an elite team of writers,  videographers, editors, graphic artist, sound, lighting technicians...  AND it appears they had a generous budget too.   60 Minutes, the media product stands alone.   I really do miss the days when we cared about packaging good journalism!     

ALSO, I did feel the gripping loss watching this interview!  Thank you so much for sharing it! Toni Morrison was a giant! She was courageous and eloquent too.   I don't think we'll see another like her, of any ethnicity or sex, in our lifetime.  Morrison stood alone on that pedestal.   And I'm not just talking about her literary skills, either.  Morrison was the whole package who embodied all that a great  writer represents.   She made us want to be in her world.

Edited by Mel Hopkins
typo, spelling
  • Like 1

@Mel Hopkins "...packaging good journalism" and "...who embodied all that a great  writer represents," this is the combination that I'm lamenting the loss of.

Sure Ed's interview with Toni was in at least two countries and I don't know how many locations -- and this was in the days before non-linear editing, but I not even suggesting that one has to send this much money to produce something of high caliber.  I thought for example Gil Noble's Like It Is, produced high quality content.  I don;t come across this kind of programming any more.

If anyone knows of a source of high quality in depth, and naused video programs please share. 

• Thanks 1

bell hooks

Greg Tate

Samuel Delaney 

In that order although my preference would be the reverse order. 

I would even put in Malcolm Gladwell as journalists/writers who could do the job. 

As an aside have you seen the conversation between Maya Angelou and Dave Chapelle? 

Edited by Delano
Typos