Ebony is back

I think this is great news, but unfortunately the days of seeing elegant

Black people in a magazine are over.  Now it's all about celebrities and 

people who are famous for sleeping with someone famous.  It's sad.

I wonder if they will be resurrecting Jet as well.

picgifs-butterfly-4309348.gif

Ebony has really not gone anywhere not gone anywhere.  They are currently #19 on my list of the top Black owned websites: https://aalbc.com/top_black_websites/#Ebony

The real question, to me, is will they ever publish a print version of the quality shown 50 years ago?

I did skim the Carmelo Anthony articles and asked them to to send readers to a Black-owned bookstore like AALBC rather than Amazon:

Hi Ebony Magazine, this is Troy Johnson, a long time Ebony supporter, and founder of the 24 year old website, dedicated to Black books, AALBC.com. I read your interview with Carmelo Anthony and could not help but notice Ebony is sending their readers to Amazon to buy his book.  May I suggest that you consider sending readers to Black-owned bookstores like AALBC.com.  Amazon has done a great deal to harm Black-owned bookstores, why not show solidarity with us by directing your readers to a Black-owned store t buy the book? Here is an AALBC link: https://aalbc.com/books/bookinfo.php?isbn13=9781982160593 (where we link to Ebony's Interview with Anthony) You can really spread the love by choosing a different store each time.  We can provide a list if you like.  Thanks for considering my request.

@Mzuri it is sad. it is really a reflection of our culture's collective drive to appeal to are most base desires -- rather then elevating us; like giving us fast food rather than a healthy meal. 

Did you ever see my article in reaction to an Ebony article about Black Literature written by none other than John A. Williams? The article was published almost 60 years ago and I can not recall anything like it in a publication, that catered to a general audience.  Can you image something like this in print today, or even online (save AALBC and less than a handful of other websites)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy said:

The real question, to me, is will they ever publish a print version of the quality shown 50 years ago?

Did you ever see my article in reaction to an Ebony article about Black Literature written by none other than John A. Williams? The article was published almost 60 years ago and I can not recall anything like it in a publication, that catered to a general audience.  Can you image something like this in print today, or even online (save AALBC and less than a handful of other websites)?

That's never going to happen, especially not when their website features

characters such as Megan Thee Stallion and negroes with their pants

hanging down (how long can this disgusting trend last, it's been forty 

years now).  

It's like finding buried treasure if you come upon an old copy of Ebony

or Jet magazine.  Even Essence was great back in the day.  

Whatever happened to Black Enterprise?  That was a must read for 

anyone aspiring to get into business, wasn't it?

Thanks for those links, I'm going to search for that article later today.  

And thank God for you Troy.  What you have done for Black literature,  

Black books, and Black people is historical and priceless. 

And I love you for it.  

picgifs-cake-872589.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mzuri said:

Whatever happened to Black Enterprise?

The same thing that has happened to all the rest of our publications...  

1 hour ago, Mzuri said:

how long can this disgusting trend last, it's been forty 

years now

I know...  Imagine we have an entire generation of adults who never new anything different.

1 hour ago, Mzuri said:

And thank God for you Troy.  What you have done for Black literature,  

Black books, and Black people is historical and priceless. 

And I love you for it.  

Thank you so much for expressing the positive sentiments. @Mzuri you and other like you are the only reason AALBC can exist. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 4:13 PM, Troy said:

Bridgeman Sports and Media (EBONY's new owner) isn't expected to and they are no longer based in Chicago - even though a lot of people seem to think so.

According to their spokesperson, , for the time being, EBONY is digital format only.

Bridgeman Sports and Media, bought the BRAND name, EBONY, and decided to keep the BRAND's money-making events. For example, the EBONY 100 gala.

Bridgeman Sports and Media, bought EBONY from the Clear View Group, during the liquidation process. The Clear View Group bought the EBONY brand Name from Johnson Publishing in 2016.   The Clear View Group put the magazines (JET Included) under Ebony Media Holdings LLC but the CVG owners were forced into bankruptcy chapter 7 (liqudation) in 2020.

So. that is it. In short it is EBONY magazine is a resurrected digital version.  OH one more thing - the CVG CEO is allegedly in trouble with the SEC for using cannabis funds to resurrect EBONY.  Remember my cover story on Issa Rae in September 2018? Well, that was the next to the last print issue of EBONY.

Note: Some of the links are behind paywalls.  After the sale, it appears Bridgeman Sports and Media transferred EBONY to another of its business holdings.  "EBONY is a property of 1145 Holdings LLC"

Edited by Mel Hopkins
Note: Links are behind paywalls Update EBONY Magazine Ownership
  • Like 1

Well, if it is "good" news, a sista is the CEO of 1145 Holdings LLC:

https://afrotech.com/michele-thornton-ghee-ebony-jet

However, if history teaches us  anything, exhibit A...Bob Johnson selling  BET to Viacom, we should  pay attention the content being produced. 

A cursory view of BET programming over the past 20 years has left much to be desired to my half-century old eyes. 😁

Sista Kathy Hughes had good intentions when TV One was launched.  I'd imagine the same could be said for Oprah too.  🙄

I can only hope that Ebony will produce positive and constructive content for black folks. 😎

The problem is 2 fold:

-Some of it is racist Caucasians trying to own and control as much "Black media" as they can by paying our people to literally "sell out" their studios and production companies like ProfD pointed out.  

-But MOST of the problem comes from the IMMATURE desires that so many AfroAmericans have where the constant craving for silly and juvenile content is fed.

We just had a SERIOUS and tragic situation down at the Mexican Border in Texas (and it's actually still ongoing) where thousands of Ayitian migrants were mistreated, whipped, and herded like cattle and only a FRACTION of Black media actually covered it!
Some did, but MOST of the Black people on social media ignored it, pretended that it didn't exist, and went on engaging in the same silly foolish content they had been engaging in for years.
Like:
-who's cheating on who
-do Black men really like light skin, long hair, and green eyes
-how to roll a blunt with one hand
-milk crate challenge
.....and other foolishness.

Caucasians didn't MAKE these fools spend hours upon hours talking about that garbage while ignoring the plight of the poor Ayitian people....they CHOSE to do it; because they didn't care.

So even if Black folks were totally independent without a need for the money or permission of Caucasians to say and publish what we like, until our HEARTS and MINDS have been changed and we become more humane and productive as a people.....the condition for most AfroAmericans will either remain the same or get worse.