Inc. Master of the Click Bait and Why the Web Sucks Now

Inc. used to be a reputable source of information for business news. Today they like many other platforms they have sold out and are now one of the "clickbaitiest" platforms on the web.

I got a newsletter from Inc. this week.  I do not know how I was added to their mailing list (I unsubscribed).  Over the years when I've clicked links like the ones below the article NEVER delivered on the promise suggested by the article. 

Usually, you are just directed to an article spanning multiple pages with a ton of ads. Far too many sites on the web are like this now.  They are SEO optimized to maximize advertisement delivery and crowd out better websites that are designed to provide information.  As a result, the quality of the most easily discoverable content on the web today "sucks."

I never read any of the articles listed below.  I just share them as examples of click bait and how a publication has fouled up their brand and reputation, IMHO.

1. An American Airlines Pilot Was Absolutely Fed Up With Passengers. His Solution Was a Stroke of Genius
  2. If You Can Pass Any of These 8 Tests, Science Says You're Likely to Live Significantly Longer (and Feel Happier and Less Stressed)
  3. Nearly 30 Years Ago, Steve Jobs Said There's 1 Simple Habit That Separates the Doers From the Dreamers
  4. This simple act taught him one of the greatest lessons of his brilliant career. 
  5. Google Sent an Email Warning Customers It Plans to Start Deleting Their Inactive Accounts
  6. You have four months to decide what to do with your old account. 
  7. Neuroscience Shows That Nightly Scents Could Boost Memory and Help Your Productivity
  8. This nightly ritual could revitalize your brain. 
  9. Researchers Asked 146 'Failed Entrepreneurs' About Their Past Experiences. It's a Remarkable Lesson in Resilience
  10. Mindset about failure matters most for whether a founder gets back in the game.
  • Like 1

Heck if I know what to do about the rest of the WWW @richardmurray it is already jacked up.

On this site, I'm going to focus on creating quality content and completely eliminate intrusive advertising.  The ads that I sell directly are great as they relate directly to the website demographics and people often appreciate them, but the main thing is they are not so intrusive.

I removed the network ads from the discussion forum, and it is much better experience.  There was one video ad that kept popping up that you could not make go away.  I would refresh the page ot make it go away, but it kept coming back -- very frustrating. 

My mid-range goal focus on direct selling of advertising and perhaps asking more visitors to pay to support the mission of the site.  Right now I'm focused on the website upgrade.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I reduced the ads on the main site and completely removed them from the forums.  It is a much better experience now, but I simply cannot afford the drop in revenue.  So I have reintroduced the ads and will back out the most intrusive ones I see pop up. I revist this when the new website is launched

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Troy said:

It is a much better experience now, but I simply cannot afford the drop in revenue. 

Even if it means a slight inconvenience to users....get your paper mayne. 

I'll be posted up in my comfy armchair regardless. 

If I get tired of seeing ads and can bribe, er, pay my way out of it...I'll shoot a PM your way on where to to send my donation.🤣

In other words, I'm willing to support whatever you need in order to maintain the site.😎

Troy

Websites are great and we need them, but I personally think you should seriously think about establishing a brick-n-mortar institution for a lasting legacy.

And yes, I know it will cost a ton of money, but.........

I'm a sincere believer in the fact that when the DESIRE is there the OPPORTUNITY and MEANS will manifest themselves.

• Thanks 1

Brick and mortar establishments are costly to purchase, lease and maintain. 

A physical structure has to be in the right location and also requires a certain amount of foot traffic and consumption to be a worthwhile investment and remain viable. 

OTOH, Websites and e-commerce are extremely attractive and lucrative because the overhead is lower. The business can be anywhere.

Of course, profits are required either way in order to sustain the business.😁

That's  why it's extremely important for Black folks to learn about entrepreneurship and financial literacy too. 

Black wealth mostly comes in the form of labor i.e. working for someone else. Producers generate the most wealth.

We really need to build more of our own infrastructures and institutions i.e. profit centers across several platforms both physical and virtual. 😎

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

OTOH, Websites and e-commerce are extremely attractive and lucrative because the overhead is lower.

Given the current pace of consolidation on the web and generative AI. Websites face an existential threat -- a bigger threat than social media, Amazon, and Google's control over search combined!  That wicker triad was bad for indie sites, but AI really poses a serious threat...  I hate to think about what will happen when it is paired up with quantum computing

A physical structure has all of the disadvantages you describe, but all of the advantages face the same threats as websites -- just throw VR into the mix. 

@Pioneer1 what would go one in this building and where would it be located?

Maybe if I sold over-priced coffee or weed it could work...

• Haha 1