Sixtieth Anniversary of MLK Speech tommorrow August 26, 2023, in D.C.

According to Al Sharpton on MSNBC this morning, tommorrow there will be a gathering on the Mall in

D.C.  commemorating the 1963 march on Washingon, D.C.   With a NAACP presence and remanents of the SCLC,

MLK Jr. as speakers.     Hind sight is 20/20  as I have told my former Black and mulatto    teachers from the 1960s, but with the

loss of Black community and physical communities as time went forward, has it been worth it, especially to the Blacks

who were adults in the 1950s and 1960s?     Where will Blacks as a whole be, 100 years from now,  with the

intentional attempted destruction of the Black race by many Black miscegenationists, and Black on Black hatred crime,

and garbage booty shaking hip hop as 'Black entertainment'?   The spiritual and moral destruction of the Black 'person'.    

Civil Rights nightmare!

IMO, from an individual perspective, AfroAmericans have made a significant amount of progress since the March on Washington 60 years ago. 

I believe that as a group, AfroAmericans have been in a holding pattern for about 50 years. 

Partly because it seems the folks who marched on Washington gave up the fight in the 1970s after our leadership was assassinated in the late 1960s.

Black folks were not exempt from the free love movement of the 1960s.  Black folks have been kicking it with other races over the same period of time.  No shortage of war babies all grown up now.

The rise in Black on Black crime grew in proportion to the drug epidemic starting in the 1970s with heroin through to the 1980s and crack cocaine. 

Hip-Hop is multifaceted.  The "garbage booty shaking" music in only one flavor of Hip-Hop. 

However, like junk food, the most negative aspects of Hip-Hop are promoted by design.  McDonald's isn't the most nutritious food one could eat but it sells.  

The question one must ask is why would record companies promote the most negative aspects of the music over the airwaves instead of the positively conscience.

Well known rapper Jay-Z on his song Moment of Clarity says, "Truth be told, if skills sold, lyrically I'd be Talib Kweli, truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense but I did 5 mill-I ain't been rhyming like Common since..."

Pause the genius of his wordplay for a moment. The point Jay-Z is making is that there is no money in positive messages.

Again, IMO, "the spiritual and moral destruction of the Black 'person'" is the self-hating and self-defeating construct of Black folks who have given up the fight against racism white supremacy.

If ever there was a point that Black people were spiritually and morally grounded, we would have never been enslaved in the 1st place and Jim Crow'd and the rest.

The best thing for most old negroes to do is go have several seats somewhere.  Especially those who failed to make significant progress for AfroAmericans in their prime.  They have zero right to sit back and criticize where Black folks are today.

Most of the old Black talking heads and political figures nowadays are race hustlers.  They talk a good game primarily to line their own pockets being gatekeepers for the system of racism white supremacy.😎

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, zeke1234 said:

According to Al Sharpton

Anything that comes out of Al Sharpton's mouth is highly suspect on its face. The man is a complete fool, as in an imbecile who is beyond (political, social, cultural, legal, etc.) rehabilitation of any kind, and nothing short of that.

Six take aways from the 60th commemoration of the 1963  March on Washington.   All speakers, said their presence was a continuation of what was started in 1963, and not a commemoration.                                                                                                                                                                 

(1)   The emphasis was on Black youth leadership, especially those 20+  year old brothers from the National Action Network   (all looked like linebackers for the Pittsburg Steelers),   at the beginning of the event, and MLK granddaughter.

(2)  Robert Smith, Black billionaire’s presence, of Vista Equity Partners, talked about restoring Black communities, sounded most practical.  

(3)   Marc Morial of the Urban League  was the only one who talked about fighting gentrification. 

(4)  Jamal Bryant of New Hope Baptist in Lithonia, Georgia served note of his Black consciousness.

(5)   Vann Jones CNN commentators told Blacks to get ready for the future, Afro-futurism, biotech, quantum computing, AI, or get left behind. 

(6)   You almost had as many Jews at the 60th commemoration as you did Blacks, Greenblatt of the ADL, Wasserman-Schultz , a Black female rabbi, Robert Kraft of the New England Patriots who reminded us that Rabbi Abraham Herschel marched with MLK in Selma and was his good friend.  The Jews  Schwerner and Goodman lost their lives in Mississippi fighting for Black Civil Rights, and Blacks and Jews have always been friends.   Sharpton did the inviting. 

Notable  absences, professional atheletes.

On 8/25/2023 at 1:10 PM, ProfD said:

Most of the old Black talking heads and political figures nowadays are race hustlers.

That is one thing we can agree on.

On 8/25/2023 at 1:10 PM, ProfD said:

white supremacy

White supremacy is a very convenient 'low-hanging fruit' talking point that has been repeatedly pushed by white liberals to keep black America in line with the Democrat's political agendas, information narratives, social targets, and economic goals.

On 8/26/2023 at 2:29 AM, nels said:

The man is a complete fool, as in an imbecile...

Again, it is a mistake to characterize Sharpton as an imbecile, he is not.  He is more like Jay Z, as characterized by the lines ProfD shared.

I previously asked who the Black leaders were; I guess Al Sharpton is the Black Amercia's most powerful Black leader. 

On 8/28/2023 at 12:00 PM, Troy said:

I previously asked who the Black leaders were; I guess Al Sharpton is the Black Amercia's most powerful Black leader. 

IMO, Al Sharpton is a self-appointed spokesperson for Black America. He leads the National Action Network, an organization focused on social justice. 

Otherwise,  IMO, Black America does not have leadership in the traditional sense.

There's no individual(s) or group that Black America can look to as a beacon of light and/or champion on our behalf. That's by design.

It seems AfroAmerican history is being washed away until eventually, our people will no longer recognize themselves as ADOS/FBA nor embrace or fight for it.

If/when that shift becomes complete, I think AfroAmericans will adopt a mentality similar to that of Black folks who leave their home countries seeking better opportunities in white countries.

Non-ADOS/FBA Black folks are indifferent to racism white supremacy because they are houseguests in a white man's land (country).

It will be a sad reality if it should come to pass that AfroAmericans only believe this is our country because we live here and not by birthright, blood, sweat, tears and death built on centuries of oppression. 

Right now, I don't see any AfroAmerican leadership on code to protect our birthright and fight for our inheritance. 😎

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2023 at 12:00 PM, Troy said:

Well, don't forget about Minister Farrakhan.
He may not be as visible in the media as Al Sharpton (and that's by design) but most Black folks know who he is and have more respect for him than Al.

ProfD

I agree with you that we don't have a lot of Black leadership to codify the community today.

As fond as I am of Neely Fuller Jr., I don't agree 100% with EVERYTHING he says.
Most of the so-called leaders are spokespersons, but we do have some actual LEADERS......they just aren't large enough to mobilize the majority or collective of our people.

Most of the leaders are on-line with the likes of Tariq Nasheed, Oshay Duke Jackson, etc....
Many of our leaders are actually celebrities/entertainers....like Lebron James.
They aren't major major....but they do have enough influence to mobilize SOME Black folks and get them to take action (my definition of a true "leader").

But nobody on the scale of Marcus Garvey or Elijah Muhammad today.

6 hours ago, ProfD said:

IMO, Al Sharpton is a self-appointed spokesperson

Yeah, but he has the ever-so-imporant white cosign.  He has a Major Network TV show and nationally syndicated radio broadcast program. He is "large."  He had Obama's ear and was frequently at the white house. 

6 hours ago, ProfD said:

There's no individual(s) or group that Black America can look to as a beacon of light and/or champion on our behalf. That's by design.

Of course, you are probably right.  While there is no lunatic like J. Edgar Hoover we can point to I'm sure the strategy is the same...  For now, Al is about is good as we got.

58 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Minister Farrakhan

25 years ago, I would have definitely agreed with you, but the Minister is a very old man now and there does not seem to be an heir apparent.  Farrakhan was more powerful than Sharpton could ever be, because Minister Farrakhan did not need the white cosign.  Farrakhan controls his platforms; The Final Call newspaper is perhaps the most prominent Black owned newspaper. Sharpton's only has a media platform as long as it is provided to him, and he obviously has not control over it.

The ability for an organization like the NOI or UNIA to start today is impossible under today's conditions.

For a brief moment in time back in 1995, beyoned the Nation of Islam, Minister Farrakhan had the attention of millions of Black men. He was a leader.

in that moment, Minister Farrakhan had Black men ready to get on code.  I was there to witness it.

A lot of money was raised. Black men went back to their communities. The movement evaporated. 

Minister Farrakhan is an old man now. I don't expect him to lead Black America at this point. His teachings should be studied. 

The Million Man March should have produced an organization with a sustainable plan and a line of succession in leadership. There was a lost opportunity.

Thankfully, there are young Black potential leaders at the grassroots level like the aforementioned Tariq Nasheeed and others. Time will tell.😎

The fact that we still stand, that we continue to overcome, that we continue to make incredible strides and positively enhance the lives of ALL those around us (even though we don't get credit), and the fact that even though much of our story is suppressed, we prevail and continue to make history!!  Our strength and endurance continue to intimidate.  So to me, we are all self-appointed spokespeople for the Black Experience. Amen?  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 9:45 PM, ProfD said:

A lot of money was raised. Black men went back to their communities. The movement evaporated. 

Of course, because there was no infrastructure to the movement.  Most Black people are not in the NOI for a variety of reasons as you wrote we needed an organization.  A federation of organizations could have worked as most people are in some organization.  But try to get Black organizations to work together... 

14 hours ago, Dee Miller said:

So to me, we are all self-appointed spokespeople for the Black Experience. Amen?  

We are, but to get anything substantive done requires organization, which we desperately need.

Sometimes I wish the "world" would have ended back in 2000 as so many predicted.
Our community wouldn't be going through so much confusion now.

Infact, maybe if we had had a full revolution back in the 1960s....the AfroAmerican community wouldn't have suffered as much as it has over the past 50 years or so.
No Crack.
No AIDS.
No Mass Incarceration
No High Broken Family Rate

Most of this started back in the late 70s and early 80s after the rebellions of the 60s.

What if.....
What if a full revolution caught fire and just swept the entire nation back after King's Assassination?

Either they would have mowed everyone down or the people would have won and reversed the downward spiral we see today.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

Sometimes I wish the "world" would have ended back in 2000 as so many predicted.
Our community wouldn't be going through so much confusion now.

Our community has been going through in one way or another for several hundred years now.

The reality is that h8ll for one person or a group of people is paradise to another. 

To that extent, life is what we make it especially from an individual perspective.

So, it would be selfish to wish for the destruction or annihilation of our people based on our own perception of conditions and/or circumstances. 

We should strive to do whatever it takes within our calling to make life better for our people.

Imagine how different our history would be if Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had resigned himself to a life of ministry, academia, political office or maybe corporate America.

Every generation has an opportunity to make life better. It's all about the Black men putting in that work.😎

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ProfD said:

Our community has been going through in one way or another for several hundred years now.

The reality is that h8ll for one person or a group of people is paradise to another. 

To that extent, life is what we make it especially from an individual perspective.

So, it would be selfish to wish for the destruction or annihilation of our people based on our own perception of conditions and/or circumstances. 

We should strive to do whatever it takes within our calling to make life better for our people.

Imagine how different our history would be if Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had resigned himself to a life of ministry, academia, political office or maybe corporate America.

Every generation has an opportunity to make life better. It's all about the Black men putting in that work.😎

That was actually quite uplifting.

Perhaps this mentality has sustained you through out your life even though you don't believe in an Afterlife or "heaven" beyond death to look forward to for comfort.

Although I realize each generation indeed DOES have opportunity to make things better in this world, I don't have the confidence in this or the recent previous generations to actually do so.
Most of the Black men in this society who are smart and industrious enough to put in work to make a better life -do it for White industry for their own individual benefit instead of for the collective good of the entire community.

And it's hard to blame them. 
Why sacrifice individual benefit and comfort on a "gamble" that may not pay off?

• 2 weeks later...

Al Sharpton is a  gifted Political Activist, Preacher, Teacher, Entertainer, Politician, not to mention a father who managed to stay in the home and raise his children while engaging in all of his activities.

Not only is he gifted intellectually, but has remarkable wit and charisma that launched him into the international spotlight since way back in the 80s.

He can get on stage with ANY politician Republican or Democrat and not only hold his own but make FOOLS out of most of them with his direct yet witty responses and debating style.
I've seen him in person on a number of occasions.

He may have lost a lot of weight lately (too much if you ask me....lol) but he's no LIGHT WEIGHT by any means.