Sign in to follow this  
Troy

Barack Obama Didn't Do a Darn Thing For Black People

“Barack Obama Didn’t Do a Darn Thing For Black People.” —Dr. Claud Anderson

Cornel West expressed this sentiment throughout Obama’s Presidency despite aggressively campaigning for Obama. Black folks vilified West for his unrelenting critique of Obama.  I wonder how history will record Obama's presidency vis-a-vis Black Americans.

You can watch the complete interview here.

This was one of the responses posted on twitter.  I read an article that Black people are disproportionately represented on twitter.  That is too bad.

This generated even more conversation on Facebook.  Interestingly, the reaction was overwhelmingly in favor of Obama.  Here was one comment, "People are always wanting somebody to do something for them do for your damn self!" 9 others loved or liked the comment  The problem with the reaction to Anderson comment is that doing for self is exactly what Anderson preaches. But the writer is clearly just reacting to the statement, "Barack Obama Didn't Do a Darn Thing For Black People" which is the problem with social.  It is easy to react to something out of context without digging deeper  

I don't know if this is a result of the Facebook filter bubble of if Black folks know to keep their mouths shut when it come to saying anything sideways about Obama -- it worse than saying you're a Trump supporter 🙂

“Barack Obama Didn’t Do a Darn Thing For Black People.” —Dr. Claud Anderson: What do you think?

Posted by AALBC.com on Thursday, January 2, 2020

I'm not sure what I need to do to get people to engage on this site; 65 people have visited this post in the last hour, but no one has commented. 

In the past hour 191 people on Facebook have followed the link, commented, shared, or liked/loved a comment.  On twitter the engagement was far less 106 Impressions, 2 and 1 of each of the following (Replies, Retweets, Likes, and Detail expands). 

Both platforms are prompting me to pay to promote the posts.  I don't paid to promote on social anymore -- I'm sure they hold back on showing my posts to my followers, holding my posts hostage, in an effort to bribe me to pay so that more of my followers can see the links I've shared...

Will listen to the clip. I have made post that reached 500 people without advertising, by sharing it to various groups.

So don't pay them.

18 hours ago, Troy said:

I wonder how history will record Obama's presidency vis-a-vis Black Americans.

I am pessimistic about this thought.

I don't really think it matters now, what Black Americans think about his 8-year of indoctrinating us into being the facebook 

for homosexual-pedo culture. And because of the overwhelming vote -- to vote on the basis of COLORISM-- now we are 

hit with this Trump mess.

We should have never been convinced to vote for a 'COLORED MAN' to represent all that being African descent includes.

What a trick.

We should have petitioned for issues that support Black American issues, and not vote for 'an idol' to put forth these issues.

I've heard it said or reported that 90% of the Chruch voted for him, but -- what a contradiction. 

With one sweep, Obama convinced the Black Church to abandon their faith in exchange for him.

I am a believer in 'the kingdom' form of government and not a Matriarchal format, and therefore, this kind of system

absolutely strikes against THE PRIESTHOOD form of government-- that is why HOMOSEXUALITY is a must!

I do not agree. But now that is how the Black Church voted, so -- oh well, -- The scriptures define the government of the Church,

and the Church cannot change the scriptures. 

THE PRIESTHOOD COMES FIRST. No matter, the scriptures also say too, that there must be a great falling away before the end times can happen.

I don't hate president Obama -former president Obama, but I loathe his beliefs on homosexuality, because for Blacks, it starts with pedophilia, historically.

I admire his passion to help Black people, but his position is all wrong when he struck down the priesthood.

@Delano this post, despite the engagement does not help AALBC at all. The whole benefit goes to Facebook, because as of this morning only 37 people visited this link from Facebook and none of the visitors commented here.  As of this morning only 39 people watched the youtube video clip.  Essentially all of the engagement benefited facebook.  Again, this is why I believe Facebook should compensated people who create the engagement on their platform

I may have also harmed by brand; one of the commenters said that they almost unfollowed the site.  I thought about replying, but decided against it.  If someone would consider rejecting everything that I have done, because I shared a quote from one person, that they disagreed with, that person should not be following AALBC anyway.

I read more of the comments.  Someone wrote where were are all of Obama's critics like West and Smiley, why are they not criticizing Trump?  People liked the statement?  Tavis basically lost his platform and West has as been hyper-critical of Trump to suggest that West was only critical of Obama is just stupid and ignorant.

Nowadays, I share a couple of links per week on Facebook.  Facebook does not give those posts much visibility.  It is funny Facebook showed this post 10 times more than my average post (see chart below).  Facebook knew this post would stoke an emotional reaction encouraging engagement on their website, so they showed it to more people. 

You see the problem with the way Facebook works? 

1. Content producers see the nature of the of the posts that get the most engagement, then they create more content like it.  Over time social media becomes biased to toward content like this.
  2. Not one person agreed with Anderson's quote or was even sympathetic to it. This creates the impression that all of my followers are rabid Obama worshipers.  Anyone familiar with just discussion forum knows some people, including myself, has been critical of Obama.
  3. People make demonstrably false statements about Anderson, then others react to the false statements as if they were true, which makes the lie true -- this is how fake news is born
  4. No one probed deeper in the the statement or tried to understand why it was made. Facebook makes it easy not to do this

facebook-engagement.jpg

The wisdom of the crowd!

It's fleeting still though.

We are existing in a moment and facebook will not be leading in the future, so for me, following the crowd who tends to

believe in lies is completely fruitless.

I look for truth. I listen critically to whatever comes up on the table though, but if it has no weight, I don't waste time

delving into it.

Right now, even though I will continue to absorb information from Black forums, I know that Massa is always looking so, 

I contribute, but I am not naive on that score. Therefore, I have started to gear up to writing a book myself and publish

some of my research, especially on my family background which seems interesting to me.

I saw a White 'write up' on my Great grandmother, because it turns out that she was also his Great grandmother.

This guy, upholds the Confederate pathway and uphold the rebel flag. He wrote that my Great grandmother was

an adult when she gave birth to an half-white son, however, due to my relatives who are still living, I realize that this

was a complete lie. 

My aunt lived to know my Great-grandmother and was about 10 years old when she was still living and lived for more years

beyond that time. So, the White guy wrote that his White-great grandfather fell in love with my Great grandmother.

He wrote that he was indeed a slaveholder who was married to his White wife and had five children, and he admitted that my 

Great-grandmother and also, his, was indeed Black. However, he also tried to script her to be from Free Blacks living in the Deep South

at this time too. 

Now, based on my aunt and other relatives, how can the White man, slaver, fall in love with a 12 year old child!?

My relatives said she came off of the slave ship when she was 'a baby' and my research turned up the very slave port that she

came through. But what this White rebel flag guy doesn't realize is that the very Free BLacks he attempts to script her to be from, is also my father side of the

family. My father and uncles tell me the exact same story, that he wrote about the Free Blacks and took me to the very land, these Free Blacks

owned and still today own!!! So yeah, I am thinking about writing my own book. I am not flattered by Facebook and all of the other

people exploiting subjects in order to thrive. But I hope that Black business will still fight back though.  

Guest FAS

@Chevdove There is no correlation between black people going to church and blacks voting for Obama (not that there's anything wrong with going to church!). 95% of blacks voted for Obama in 2012 (about the same in 2008), yet less than half of black people go to church weekly. I understand it's sexy to blame the black church for everything one dislikes about black people or our decision-making, but the facts usually prove religion-haters wrong.

6 hours ago, Guest FAS said:

There is no correlation between black people going to church and blacks voting for Obama (not that there's anything wrong with going to church!). 95% of blacks voted for Obama in 2012 (about the same in 2008),

I understand it's sexy to blame the black church for everything one dislikes about black people or our decision-making, but the facts usually prove religion-haters wrong.

Okay, thank you FAS.

yet less than half of black people go to church weekly.

Yes, this seems to be true, too.

I understand it's sexy to blame the black church for everything one dislikes about black people or our decision-making, but the facts usually prove religion-haters wrong.

I absolutely believe in Church and I believe that there will always be a core Church and believers in God. 

Again thank you FAS.

This quote from Dr. Claud has low engagement because it isn't very profound. Like @Delano alluded to, anyone with critical thinking skills knows that Obama doesn't care about black people. Obama and his wife showed their true colors six months into his first term as president.

5 hours ago, Kareem said:

This quote from Dr. Claud has low engagement because it isn't very profound. Like @Delano alluded to, anyone with critical thinking skills knows that Obama doesn't care about black people.

To be clear, my point was that Anderson's quote got a high level of engagement. Further, no one agreed with Claud's quote many disagreeing with it with it quite strongly --even getting on me for sharing the opinion.

You may like this video I took of Michael Eric Dyson being harshly critical of Obama. 

On 1/12/2020 at 1:41 PM, Guest FAS said:

Thank you as ever for your sisterly graciousness.

FAS-- Oh! How I deeply appreciate you!!! 

@Kareem and @Troy I am looking forward to listening to these videos before I comment.

On 1/13/2020 at 9:16 PM, Troy said:

Further, no one agreed with Claud's quote many disagreeing with it with it quite strongly --even getting on me for sharing the opinion.

This phenomenon is so sad to me. Granted all of us got out and voted for Obama in 2008 purely for the symbolism and his lying (telling us what we wanted to hear) during the campaign. But any black person that still defends this guy (other than from baseless white supremacist attacks) is so easily manipulated and lost. Obama did far more damage to black people than Trump and George W. Bush combined. It is Obama who turned black America into a fruit loop, emasculated, white liberal echo chamber. Quite sad.

The only thing Obama did for Black people was provide an example or role model for AfroAmerican youth to aspire to should they decide to go into politics.

Oh, don't get me wrong!
He...himself....didn't do shit for us, but his simply being in office and holding the position (as token and symbolic as it was) still projected the IMAGE of AfroAmerican intelligence and respect.

He didn't make AfroAmerican men look strong, but atleast he didn't make us look stupid or buffoonish either....lol.....na'mean?

Now a days if a brother just don't come on television in a damn DRESS, with blond hair, snapping and going on....or tossing up gang signs and rolling blunts while avoiding his probation officer......as far as I'm concern he's a good role model for yo' ass.

On 1/15/2020 at 4:46 PM, Pioneer1 said:

The only thing Obama did for Black people was provide an example or role model for AfroAmerican youth to aspire to should they decide to go into politics.

100% true. But damn. Can't we demand more? I defended Obama for eight years from baseless racist attacks. Now I don't give a damn. Everyone kind of knows who and what he is now.

On 1/13/2020 at 9:16 PM, Troy said:

You may like this video I took of Michael Eric Dyson being harshly critical of Obama.

I'm no fan of Dyson. His collective body of work shows his first allegiance is to white liberals. But yes, he was constructively critical of Obama in this video, which is much appreciated since he actually has a platform.

Kareem

Can't we demand more ?

To simply answer your question......YES.
And we should.
The problem with demanding more is as a group AfroAmericans/ADOS don't have a standard master list of demands to hold those accountable to.

I'm no fan of Dyson. His collective body of work shows his first allegiance is to white liberals. But yes, he was constructively critical of Obama in this video, which is much appreciated since he actually has a platform.

Tavis Smiley and Cornel West were also pretty critical of Obama both before AND during his tenure as President.

Having voted for Obama in 2008, but not in 2012, 19 to 20 months into his first term, I came to the research-driven conclusion that he was aloof and incompetent, with absolutely no hope of redemption. All said.

7 hours ago, nels said:

...I came to the research-driven conclusion that he was aloof and incompetent, with absolutely no hope of redemption.

No wonder you were banned from Facebook and twitter 🙂

nels

I came to the research-driven conclusion that he was aloof and incompetent, with absolutely no hope of redemption.

"incompetent" or merely indifferent and inconsiderate?

It seems to me that Obama managed to accomplish what he WANTED to accomplish, and if he left office not having done a "darn" thing for Black people....the logic would follow that it was because he DIDN'T WANT to.