These Black Mayors Aren't Powerless

Chicago migrants: Johnson to use $95M in COVID funds for crisis; more suburbs pass regulations

Chicago migrant crisis: Johnson to use $95M in COVID funds; Matteson, Hillside approve crackdown; McHenry considers regulations - ABC7 Chicago

You say he doesn't have power?
Looks to me like Mayor Johnson has plenty of power, to help OTHER PEOPLE.

I haven't read any reports of him "tapping into" Covid Relief Funds to help the homeless who already existed in Chicago before the migrants came.

And he's also begging Washington for financial help to deal with them.

No talk of SENDING THEM BACK or BLOCKING THE BUSSES from coming.....just talk of how best to help them and the many more they're expecting.

50 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

You say he doesn't have power?
Looks to me like Mayor Johnson has plenty of power, to help OTHER PEOPLE.

Mayor Johnson is on code in following orders of democratic agenda related to immigration.

These mayors do not have the power (authority) to do their own thing especially if they intended to help AfroAmericans. 😎

ProfD

Well.....
The question we should ask ourselves is, WOULD they help AfroAmericans even IF they had the power you say they didn't have?

If they aren't using what little power they DO have to help their own, what would they do if they were given more?

3 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

If they aren't using what little power they DO have to help their own, what would they do if they were given more?

Nothing.

They wouldn't be any diffent from  self-serving *leaders* in Black countries filled with greed and corruption. 😎 

• Sad 1

@Pioneer1 

You want to change things, pioneer.  

where do you live? don't tell me. IF you live in a big city , it has a black populace. Find what city council member seat exist in a region that has majority black votes. Start a party of governance with the pure purpose of promoting legislation to that region's black populace. You only say yes when your region gets something, you push laws to advance the black populace in your district. Simple. 

IF you live in a black town or black county , go for the mayoralty or county head position  with the same platform. 

Black mayors aren't powerless but the white two party system has limits for the black populace. 

Black elected officials in the usa aren't powerless but the white two party system has limits for the black populace. 

Black elected officials need a black party of governance in the usa to aid the black populace in the usa more. 

Can a black party of governance happen in the usa? of course. 

Will a black party of governance have challenges from in the black populace as well as the non black ? of course.

Can a white party, the donkeys or elephants, allow for a black elected officials to aid black people more than a black party of governance? never. 

black party of governance speech:) 

https://aalbc.com/tc/blogs/entry/194-richard-murray-creative-table/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-496

• Like 1

ProfD

By design, most Black mayors are limited in what they can do for other Black folks within their communities.

I would say ALL mayors are.
Some, more than others.

But as I've said before, all of them have a bully pulpit they can freely preach from to get their voices heard and views promoted.
If they choose not to use it, that's on them.

richardmurray

You want to change things, pioneer.  

....and I have.

We still need a lot more changes made.

where do you live? don't tell me. IF you live in a big city , it has a black populace. Find what city council member seat exist in a region that has majority black votes. Start a party of governance with the pure purpose of promoting legislation to that region's black populace. You only say yes when your region gets something, you push laws to advance the black populace in your district. Simple. 

I live in a smaller city outside of Grand Rapids.

It's a mid-sized city of about half a million people and a pretty sizeable Black population.

It's no Detroit or Chicago, but the Black community here has some size to it....and it's growing tremendously.

Infact, the Black and Latino populations are racing eachother here in West Michigan.

Black elected officials need a black party of governance in the usa to aid the black populace in the usa more. 

Agree with you 100%.

Can a black party of governance happen in the usa? of course. 

Yes, but we shouldn't CALL it that.
The Republican Party is a defacto "White" party with some Black folks in it, but it's smart enough not to call itself such.

Black people need to be more discreet when naming organizations founded for us.

Will a black party of governance have challenges from in the black populace as well as the non black ? of course.

Can a white party, the donkeys or elephants, allow for a black elected officials to aid black people more than a black party of governance? never. 

It can happen MORE than it's happening now if the Black folks INSIDE the Party demanded it.

Both

A lot of this "powerless" talk is describing Black officials who aren't even TRYING to buck back and flex their strength.

It's one thing if Black mayors got on television and had an aggressive discussion about racism in this nation and then DEMANDED criminal justice reform and Reparations....only to be directly removed from office in response.

That clearly means they were powerless and when they didn't tow the line they were put RIGHT in check.

But that's not going to happen.

Because the White folks who run the two parties just would NEVER do that to them????

Not necessarily....

I say it's not going to happen because a lot of these selfish niggas are too scared to even ASK let alone DEMAND anything of tangible benefit specifically for AfroAmericans.

Infact, many of them would rather STEAL money and EMBEZZLE it on the sneak...then come right out and DEMAND a fair share of their wealth.

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

would say ALL mayors are.

Some, more than others.

But as I've said before, all of them have a bully pulpit they can freely preach from to get their voices heard and views promoted.
If they choose not to use it, that's on them.

A lot of this "powerless" talk is describing Black officials who aren't even TRYING to buck back and flex their strength.

The reality is that today's *Black* mayors aren't cut from the same cloth as men like Marion Barry and Coleman Young. 

Factor in that some of these folks are tethers instead of AfroAmericans and their ineffectiveness makes even more sense.😎

• Thanks 1

ProfD

Yes....both of them were strong "old school" Black men who would cuss out the racists to their faces.

They had respect not only from other Black elected officials but from the streets, because the people knew they weren't cowards and would fight for them.

• 3 months later...

@Pioneer1

Yes, but we shouldn't CALL it that.
The Republican Party is a defacto "White" party with some Black folks in it, but it's smart enough not to call itself such.

Black people need to be more discreet when naming organizations founded for us.

Why more discreet? So many black people in the usa talk about speaking in code. Why?

Black people talk of freedom but I was raised to know that freedom doesn't occur when your a president or a mayor or wealthy. Freedom doesn't occur when you have a law degree. Freedom occurs not when you have what you want but at all times, on the path to what you want, when you don't get what you want, when you have been kicked in the teeth.

But I thank you Pioneer, you explain more than ever why JesseJackson thought as he did with the Donkeys. Why black people thought with the elephants before. Most   organizations from Whites in the usa, including the usa government in my view,   are one thing in reality while another in name or advertisement. 

I say that is not something black people need to imitate in any way. But that is who black people like me are. 

richardmurray

Why more discreet? So many black people in the usa talk about speaking in code. Why?

2 major reasons:

1. So as not to reveal your plans and goals to your Enemy

2. So that naive AfroAmericans and those who are supposedly standing on the "sidelines" like Asians and Africans don't get confused about who the real racists and bigots are.

As I said before, White folks know how to practice racism collectively without having to "organize" to do so.
They ARE organized....but they don't have to constantly TELL eachother to organize and rally themselves together like so many of our people have to constantly do.
So they can start an organization without the word "white" or build a community without the word "white" in the name but most of them will automtically know this organization or community is for them and their interests.

With most AfroAmericans.....
If you don't literally put the words "Black" or "AfroAmerican" in the title....many of them will walk right pass the place or organization not thinking it's for them and take no interest in it.

But then the problem is if you explicitly label it "Black" and for Black folks; then White racists will point out how Black folks are openly being racists and how Whites could never get away with labeling an organization or place as "White this" or "White that".

I liked how we used the word "soul" in the 60s to describe our food and music instead of describing it in racial terms.

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

As I said before, White folks know how to practice racism collectively without having to "organize" to do so.
They ARE organized....but they don't have to constantly TELL eachother to organize and rally themselves together like so many of our people have to constantly do.

White folks by failing to do anything to dismantle the system of racism white supremacy are still organized when it comes to maintaining it. 😎

Ofcourse.

And on top of that, they seek to save their children from a lot of THEIR bad Karma and debt by having done most of the dirty and bloody work to establish the racist system themselves.

Kind of like how Joe Kennedy engaged in all types of illegal activities so he could generate enough wealth to give his boys John, Robert, and Ted good educations and political connections.
That way they could keep and expand the wealth legitimately without the risk of violence, incarceration, or social disgrace.

31 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

And on top of that, they seek to save their children from a lot of THEIR bad Karma and debt by having done most of the dirty and bloody work to establish the racist system themselves.

Kind of like how Joe Kennedy engaged in all types of illegal activities so he could generate enough wealth..

Gangsters at the highest level. Not just the ones they romanticize in mafia movies.😎

I comprehend @Pioneer1

I think alot can be said about how groups approach problems. A functionality exist in being honest, that is lacking in the usa en large. The most truthful thing to say is , being honest has problems  or at least potential problems,  but the veiled approach also has problems or at least potential problems as well. 

I argue one of the problems with the native american in the context of the usa, from the usa's very infancy is the native americans who fought for their way of life couldn't create an illusion in the usa system that mirrored the life style they had or wanted. 

It is a matter of taste

@ProfD no profd, I have to say, we black people need to stop suggesting grand organization amongst non blacks in the usa. I don't really see evidence to that.  The system the non black founding father's implemented doesn't need non blacks to engage in it to be betterment for non blacks. I look at NYC in all earnest, if the non black populace had the kind of positive organizational qualities black people tend to suggest then nyc would be a white mecca to be blunt. 

16 hours ago, richardmurray said:

nyc would be a white mecca to be blunt.

isn’t it though?

If you are an upper middle class white  person in New York City you can take advantage of everything it has to offer live anywhere you like, and benefit from all the explicit and implicit cultural biases.

obviously, they have every intention on maintaining this.

they take over of Harlem from Central Park moving north is evidence of this. I think we will see in our lifetime dismantled or privatization of all of the housing projects running from the East river to Lenox Avenue between 112 and 110th St.

@Troy that depends on how you define a mecca

I have never defined a mecca to any people through the lens of those who are most financially fortunate. 

The mecca of islam isn't revered because financially fortunate muslims travel their on caravans or planes of gold from somewhere else. It is revered because even the fiscally poorest muslim sees in mecca the spiritual homeland of their people. NYC in my view is not a mecca for whites or specifically white statians. In the same way Harlem was never a mecca for blacks or specifically black dos. 

well, you say take over but harlem was white before it was black, it was native before it was white.  Everybody black who lived or lives in harlem should know this from their black parents. And modern harlem is probably the finest example of a phenotypically/linguistically/religiously mixed region in nyc. 

I don't know nyc has alot of problems Troy. First, NYC is going to have an explosion in populace in a decade or two that to be blunt has no way to be anything but a horde of fiscally poor people unless some financial event occurs. 

Harlem was a Mecca for black people but this was fleeting and these sort of things changes over time. 

NYC has been a Mecca for write people for a few hundred years now, I don’t see it changing in the next hundred.

NYC’s population is on the decline. The decline in black people, as a percentage of population, is even greater. I see this continuing perhaps accelerating for sometime too. We are in the midst of a reverse migration out of the north to the south.

Mecca is a place that draws many people. 

I don't understand how you are defining "non phenotypical racial groups."  By definition races are based upon phenotype.

NYC is becoming a city for the wealthy and most of these people are white.  Middle class and poor people are leaving, and a disproportionate number of these people are Black.

Cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, et al, are becoming a Mecca for Black people in much the same way Harlem was one a century ago.

3 hours ago, Troy said:

Cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, et al, are becoming a Mecca for Black people in much the same way Harlem was one a century ago.

There are definitely better financial opportunities for Black folks in places south of NYC.   Good luck tapping into the money up there.😎

@Troy 

I see. You and I have different definitions to the word mecca.  And that is why I said the following

https://aalbc.com/tc/topic/10751-these-black-mayors-arent-powerless/?do=findComment&comment=66656

I quote myself

that depends on how you define a mecca

but thank you Troy I comprehend in this group I have made a devastating error. For too long I use words in my own way but don't add adjectives explaining these are my definitions. And so it invites others who definitions are different to then come with their definitions but their definitions don't match mine and this our dialog's positions don't align. 

Based on your definition of mecca you are correct troy. Yes, but not based on my definition. And we both are keeping our won definitions so we each are correct plus incorrect. 

I will state how I define mecca. A mecca to me isn't a place that draws people. Any place draws people. I call that a condition of any place as a gathering spot.  

I define a mecca as a place that has intrinsic value to a race of people regardless to if they are drawn to it physically. 

I base my definition on the role of Mecca to the muslim heritage which is the source of the word. Muslims pray towards mecca, they honor mecca regardless of being able to go to mecca. It is not a gathering spot. it is a revered place to Muslims regardless of whether they go to it or not. Harlem by my definition of Mecca is not a mecca and NYC is not a white mecca. 

Again,

Troy you plus others , not me plus others, define race as phenotype. Based on your definition of race I speak incorrectly or dysfunctionally. based on my definition of race I speak correctly or functionally. 

The following is my definition of the word  race which are from my parents, my first teachers, plus the books I learned about words from. 

The word race does not mean phenotype. Phenotype means appearance.

Race means a characteristic similarity, it can be any characteristic; it  can be gender [male/female/hermaphrodite] , clan[your last name] , language [anglo/laltino/sino] , geographic [african/european/asian], religion [ christian/buddhist/muslim/vodun], nativity [ indigenous/immigrant/migrant], and yes phenotype[black,white, mullato, arab, mestizo,dark, light ] and based on my definition of the word race,  all humans have a set of racial labels based on their characteristics. 

So I am a black male anglo harlemite , four different races : phenotype/gender/language/geography . I have more but I said this for explanatory purposes. 

Now I am not asking anyone else to use words as I use them or define words as I use them but I will continue to use definitions of words in a manner I find most correct. 

@ProfD

can you describe the better  financial opportunities south of NYC? I want to tell black people offline about them 

1 hour ago, richardmurray said:

can you describe the better  financial opportunities south of NYC? I want to tell black people offline about them 

There are public and private sector jobs and entrepreneurial opportunities as well.

It really comes down to the knowledge, skills and abilities of the individual and their willingness to relocate and hustle. 

Plenty folks have already left NYC for greener pastures south of it.

I'd be kinda surprised if former NYers haven't sent kites back to the city spreading the word that places like DC, Charlotte, ATL and Houston are popping.😎