Troy on Google, Amazon, AI, Social Media, and Black Entrepreneurship on the Web

The conversation took place last in November and pretty much covers my thoughts on the state of the world wide web.

At 1 hour and 24 minutes, this is probably the longest video I have even posted.  It will be interesting to see how YouTube's algorithm treats this video.  If you have time to watch I'm looking for feedback.  

Does the information resonate or not?  Do you care about the subject, why or why not?  Do I make a compelling case, or is it mostly boring 🥱

Troy

Probably because I don't think there's any such thing as  "Harlem" accent.

Although a few AfroAmerican women that I know who are from The Bronx DO speak with a "New Yorican" Latina type accent instead of the typical Eastcoast one so many other Black New Yorkers have.
They all sound like Rosie Perez...lol.

On 2/20/2024 at 4:26 PM, Troy said:

... I'm looking for feedback.  

Does the information resonate or not?  Do you care about the subject, why or why not?  Do I make a compelling case, or is it mostly boring 🥱

@TroyI'm not a big fan of YouTube videos, but I made an exception for you. 

My feed back would give you a thumbs up *** for the info you you dispensed, especislly about AI and I was impressed by your  heartfelt  back story and your sincere dedication  when it comes to making a difference in a world that stacks the deck against "the little guy" at  the mercy of the monopolies.

What I would observe, however,  is that after all this time, most adults aren't that gullible and naive when it comes to social media and search engines. Nobody trusts them anymore. We know they mean you know good and are just trying to exploit you. I no longer answer any questions or take surveys posted  on Facebook  or bite their click bait ploys or "like" the memes posted. I do argue with people whose politics  I reject, but I also do a lot of deleting and blocking of  what this sets off. And, yes,  I do a lot of  Googling but this is mostly about about subjects that don't generate ads.

Nor do I detect a NY  accent in your speech, the way I do with Rappers and celebs from Brooklyn and the Bronx, - JayZ, in particular.

Bottom line  I wouldn't classify your video as boring; just a tad technical in some areas.

• Thanks 1

@Troy, great job on the video. Interesting information and perspective that needs to be shared.

Hopefully, the video will help others to understand their consumption of social media and technology in general. 

Kudos mayne.👏🏿😎

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, aka Contrarian said:

@TroyI'm not a big fan of YouTube videos, but I made an exception for you. 

thank you. As you know, I have always argued that people are more effected by social media then they can know. And it is not just about falling for the Clickbait. It is about the feed. One anecdote has to do with me almost opting out of voting when it was Hillary versus Trump. I was exposed to so much negative Hillary content. I didn’t read any of it. Just the headlines that I had decided I wasn’t going to vote for her and as a result, I wasn’t going to vote at all. You may not recall this, but you were the one who actually brought me back to my senses and I voted for Clinton. As a result, of that and other factors, I simply essentially stopped using Facebook and social media in general.

besides, the address impact of social media on young adults and teens is well documented.

thanks again everyone. it’s difficult for me to judge how I come across, so your comments were helpful.

in the long run, we have some serious challenges. AI has the ability to completely take over the web and in an ideal world that could be a very positive thing, but knowing how greedy people are and how our brand of capitalism works I can’t help but have some dread for our future.

I think we live in the most interesting period in recorded history.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Troy said:

besides, the address impact of social media on young adults and teens is well documented.

Just as our generation overcame whatever the previous generation felt we lacked, the future generations will figure it out. 

As humans, they will realize their is more to life and living than being in a silo. 

A failure to connect on a personal level would mean the end of human existence.  That's never going to happen. 

8 billion people in the world and counting.

3 hours ago, Troy said:

in the long run, we have some serious challenges. AI has the ability to completely take over the web and in an ideal world that could be a very positive thing, but knowing how greedy people are and how our brand of capitalism works I can’t help but have some dread for our future.

Sure.  Every generation faces the same challenges and uncertainties especially with emergent technologies. 

Starting in the 1980s, computers dramatically shifted the way we work and play. 

In the 1990s, the World Wide Web opened up a global marketplace. 

As you mention in the video, Smartphones put a computer in everyone's pocket. 

IMO, Artificial Intelligence (AI) will put a lot of people out work especially in white collar jobs.   

Rich and power white folks are doing whatever it takes to put more layers between themselves and those who have to work for a living.

However, people who have the ability to build, fix and produce with their hands will always be able to make money.

As I alluded above, human beings are social creatures.  Biologically, computers (social media or AI) will not prevent them from doing what comes naturally.

In my eternal optimism, the kids (future generations) will be alright.😎

@ProfD I guess you saw that I met adverse and not address.

You have a lot more faith in humanity and our current systems than I do. History tells tell us that any new technological advantage is used to exploit others.  I see no reason why the future will be different.

AI is so much more powerful than anything that has come before it.. and don’t think for microsecond that the tools we have access to are as good as the tools they have developed

Time will tell.

Troy 

I can't offer any constructive criticism for the simple reason that I don't know enough about your business or line of work to criticize it....lol.

However, I would say about  so-called "online Black entrepreneurship" in general.......

Our people need to stop being lazy and trying to do EVERYTHING  online because they don't want to do the physical work it takes to maintain a 4-walled establishment.

I see Asians, Latinos, and other groups coming to the U.S. opening up restaurants, construction companies, and other old fashioned businesses and are making money hand over fist and many of them don't know the FIRST THING about using a computer.

Meanwhile niccaz all over the internet....on Youtube, on X, on Tiktok, on Instagram.....you name it a the niggaz OWN it.
Want to start a web channel so they can sit on their ass all day eating and drinking and running their mouth.
Not building an establishment like a bank, or grocery store, or farm.....just TALKING AND TALKING AND TALKING and getting into beefs.

And what are our people talking about????

Mostly 3 things:

1. Racism and how other folks are treating them.
2. Sex and sexuality themed content
3. How to make money.....usually by promoting some scheme that DOES NOT involve doing physical work like investing in bit coin or some shit.

I didn't mention "beefing" and fighting with other Black content creators simple because that's the common thread that is found woven through most of those 3 subjects...lol.

Don't misunderstand me, I know the internet is a NECESSITY today and I also know that social media is a useful tool when used correctly.
But it should ASSIST us in building a greater REAL LIFE society for ourselves instead of a false "cyber" one.

On 2/24/2024 at 9:00 AM, Pioneer1 said:

Our people need to stop being lazy and trying to do EVERYTHING  online because they don't want to do the physical work it takes to maintain a 4-walled establishment.

Some businesses can only flourish online. In other words, it wouldn't make sense to lease, rent or pay mortgage on a physical space.

A brick and mortar establishment only succeeds as much as the community in which it serves and foot traffic allows.

The internet is a great way to reach a global customer base. We need both online and brick and mortar businesses working together.😎

Morpheus is wrong @Delano humans lose when pitted against machines. John Henry died with the hammer in his hand. Think Ex Machina.

On 2/24/2024 at 9:00 AM, Pioneer1 said:

And what are our people talking about????

again, this is all largely driven by the algorithms and increasingly AI. The “beauty” of it is that people actually think they’re in control.

3 hours ago, Troy said:

Morpheus is wrong @Delano humans lose when pitted against machines. John Henry died with the hammer in his hand. Think Ex Machina.

He died but he won.

Also AI isn't very good . AI is good for routine tasks not ones that require creativity or inspiration.

Full Disclosure I am a modern primitive. Time will tell. 

7 hours ago, Delano said:

AI is good for routine tasks not ones that require creativity or inspiration.

oh to the contrary my brother. You are not familiar with AI’s abilities:

In November's cool embrace we spoke,  
A dialogue on digital's cloak.  

My mind, on the web's vast expanse laid bare,  
Shared in a video, its length quite rare.

One hour, twenty-four, a journey long,  
A test for YouTube's algorithm, strong.  

Will it embrace or cast aside,  
This lengthy quest in which we confide?

I seek your thoughts, your time, your view,  
Does the message stir, resonate with you?  

The topic at hand, does it draw your care?  
Your interest, your passion, do you dare share?

Compelling or dull, the case I make,  
Your feedback, your insight, what will it take?  

In the fabric of web, woven thoughts entwine,  
Your voice, your critique, forever divine.

AI recasting my original post as a poem. One can debate whether the poem is any good, but you can’t discount the creativity.

Perhaps you prefer the style if Shakespeare:

In November's wane, 'twas then we did speak,  
Upon the world's web, vast, endless, and bleak. 

My thoughts, like a play upon a stage set,  
In video form, the longest yet met.

One hour and four and twenty minutes, no less,  
A challenge to the algorithm's finesse.  

Will it favor us, or disregard our plea?  
A spectacle for YouTube's sea to decree.

Pray, lend thine ear, and bestow upon me thy thought,  
Doth the information stir thee, or not?  

Is thy interest piqued, or dost thou disdain  
The subjects we broach, in joy or in pain?

Hast thou found my discourse to provoke or bore?  
I seek thy counsel, thy critique, and more.  

In this digital expanse, where we all dwell,  
Thy feedback is the ink in my well.

Here is an image that was created to go with my text. 

712414E1-3C3C-418E-8DA4-5BA9008767CE.webp

It is finished but art has to move me or tell a story. It just leaves me with no feeling. I guess what I like about art is the distillation of life experience into a piece.

This is a poem by Langston Hughes.

Suicide’s Note

The calm,
Cool face of the river
Asked me for a kiss.

Here's a an artwork by Romare Bearden

image.png.6b1164211572051483ffc9bb09483600.png

I am an intellectual romantic. I prefer to meet a partner randomly than online dating. I can se that online dating is efficient but it lacks a certain something. That happens when I met someone randomly amd there is an attraction.

21 hours ago, Delano said:

I can se that online dating is efficient but it lacks a certain something.

One of the reason I *know* I'm a dinosaur man is because in my opinion online dating looks lazy and lame. 

While online dating would never be a consideration or option for a guy like me but I do wish that I had invented it.🤣

If folks live a lifestyle that is too busy to meet other people in the wild then they don't really have time to date either. 🤔

I recognize that for certain groups of people and personality types, online dating provides them with access to a pool containing their preferences. 

The *problem* with a profile is that it cannot capture mutual attraction and chemistry. 

People give off vibes in passing or on a dance floor or in a meeting place that cannot be populated into a computer. 

I've met women while I'm out and about; in certain settings and places where they would not have caught my attention otherwise. 

As a relatively tech savvy person, I know the internet and AI will alter the landscape of how human beings conduct business and interact with each other. 

Again, I'm just glad to be old skool in everything I do.  I'd give up my smartphone if it wasn't for conducting business.😁

Hopefully, I won't be around long enough that I have to adapt and/or be affected by this new-fangled sh8t.🤣😎

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

The *problem* with a profile is that it cannot capture mutual attraction and chemistry. 

People give off vibes in passing or on a dance floor or in a meeting place that cannot be populated into a computer. 

Exactly. I have noticed a pattern the most influential partners we both didn't live in the same state country or hemisphere.

Technological is the tail that wags the dog.

14 hours ago, Delano said:

It is finished but art has to move me or tell a story. It just leaves me with no feeling.

It was just one imagine and a single 5-second effort.  But if you see no creativity what can I say?

14 hours ago, Delano said:

I prefer to meet a partner randomly than online dating.

Me too, but we (including the good @ProfD) are men of a certain generation.  But this is tangential to the creativity of AI. 

Maybe will be used AI to pair people without their filling out profile forms of any direct input.  An AI can learn a hell of a lot about me based upon my digital footprint. The AI could scan the globe and optimally pair me with someone perfect 🙂

4 hours ago, Troy said:

It was just one imagine and a single 5-second effort.  But if you see no creativity what can I say?

Intellectually it is impressive that it only took five minutes. Which may also be why it doesn't move me. Three of my favourite artists committed suicides. So I prefer art that comes from effort and life experience.

@Troy

Does the information resonate or not?  Do you care about the subject, why or why not?  Do I make a compelling case, or is it mostly boring 

My thoughts as I listened?

4:26 exactly, I was asked similarly by folks. All to often one of the earlier phases of the internet was advertised , falsely, as a auto revenue stream forgetting the truth behind, brands/customer outreach/internet markets

6:18 march 1998 aalbc's intro, i didn't know

7:50 you are not alone many leave nyc to lower overhead:) but the rent or food keep raising

9:36 truth, if the government under Clinton was ranked by those who were engineers who solve prolbems not lawyers who get commission no matter what, maybe the internet would had been guided to aid brick and mortar but instead it was guided to favor the highest financial powers who are far from brick and mortar

10:48 yes, searching in the largest library has to be selective and sequentially, positively or negatively biased to this or that

13:43 good history lesson for those who don't know about search engines ways

14:27 your correct about google but beyond that, the wealth of the internet, the wealth in its activity, has always been and will continue to be a place for financial manipulative activity. 

18:53 it is funny how china has such a large populace and their entire internet is manicured highly. 

19:47 thank you for saying that, I keep telling people the internet is not free but many, many don't seem to comprehend this, maybe especially in the usa.

21:11 well, I will say the design of the internet in itself is the problem. IT isn't the tool it is the engineering of it. The beetle is still a great car. Volkswagon , as a publicly traded firm has remade the beetle three times in worse forms than its original, but why? volkswagon is a publicly traded firm whose stockholders can't accept positive financial stability. The internet is poorly structured

27:09 clear history on aalbc's and black owned newspapers websites. I do wonder why you guys didn't attach to the non english internet. 

29;15 yes, AALBC is a business but it has a personal or communal aspect you love. And I argue, the internet is full of people who have lesser spheres of influence that is surviving. 

33:08 I disagree, I think some computer engineers predicted the internet had problems but I do concur about the silo aspect of the internet 

36:08 

Yeah, I have seen countless people in my personal life offline who are die hard users of computer programs that have the algorithmic finess/memory capacity/speed of calculation to aid in human activity, falsely called AI. The ability to do for another is not a sign of intelligence. 

37:28 yes, the usa historically has always flooded technology into the marketplace and just let human imagination plus perserverance figure it out. I honestly don't feel frightened by the modern capability of computer systems

39:32 The questioner said something I find many black people say all the time to all technology, I Can hear the influence of frederick douglass. Learn how to use the tool better, faster. The funny thing about the entire culture of learning how to use faster, better is that culture is at its heart individual. It isn't communal. In all humanity, a minority , a one percent, always master some tool faster or better than the remaining ninety nine percent. But that has never truly made the community better and as troy said, which i always say, nothing is free. The modern capabilities of computers does not reach all in humanity, even in the usa itself. What people call AI does not reach everywhere in humanity, it simply is taking over the activity of many , maybe most, in the wealthier parts of humanity. The poorer parts of humanity will have to learn how to use the tools they already have, ala wisdom, what no computer has. 

41:11 exactly, the computer programs make simulations which by default are approximations, not truly imaginative.

43:56 It is clear to me that many people clearly know people who are not using the modern computer systems. I find it interesting how many black people online keep saying, learn how to use it, ride the wave, like they either know many people not interested in using it or don't want to see any people who aren't using it. It is clear the population in the usa has an imbalance in its relationship to computer technology

46:54 well, in star trek between the enterprise computer side the holodeck side the borg the destination to the computer programs called AI was imagined. Humans were fine.  Cutting out human desire to enslave other human beings seemed to help...

50:36 Good goal in being free from google or am*zon in advertisements or book sales

54:17 good point, other technologies are not dead. Humans still need hand wrenches, even though you have electric powered. And humanity has enough people not connected to the internet to allow little zones online

56:00 well monopolies are mandatory goals in a public traded company environment where no firm is ever accepted for consistent financial results. Public trading demands greater growth all the time which is financially untenable or unrealistic but the bind

59:15 I know of Zane, I should had known she is the top seller on aalbc, erotic always sell.

1:00:38 great history on Zane and wikipedia and its editing, ahh terry mcmillan too. I don't use wikipedia for biography, but then I don't care for biography anyway

1:02:50 yeah, the village voice is gone in nyc, amsterdam news in harlem is a weekly, tough time

1:04:11 yes support black online

1:06:21 exactly, am*zon is competing against all other bookstores, or in retail against all other retails, this is why the federal government has anti trust agains them. I Wish someone would had asked you what you will like to see in an am*zon break up? any analogies to the ATT or MA Bell breakup in the 80s. 

1:08:21 great point on the illusion of the cheapest. I think how buyers in china are accustomed to getting cheaper than the usa, through sometimes illegal means or legally thin means but the point is, a buying culture of finding the cheapest exist in the world and those in the usa who are willing can do the same

1:09:12  that is diedre, dee, cool:)  she is on aalbc right?

Using computer programs to make a website is interesting cause I wonder if human lawyers can use the computer programs to check websites to make sure they are not skimming content. 

1:11:12 i didn't know am*zon asked writers to disclose if they used computer programs to write a book

1:!2:03 oh wow, you got a review written by an computer... I wish you could tell us what human presented such a thing as their own  , anyway

1:12:17 I told people teachers will not be challenged, as someone who has educated, it is very simple. students research your content tonight. Tomorrow 1/2 hour to write it in class. anyone pull out any technology, you are not allowed to submit anything and get a failing grade. I Don't think teaching is harmed, the problem with teachers is many of them don't want to challenge children as such because when children have failing grades, the systems dumps the problem on teachers even if the teacher's methodology is sound. It isn't a teaher's fault if a student doesn't study, if a student is disinterested, but the concept of no child left behind is...

1:12:47 her question is a challenge, why can't what successful black businesses did in the past work now? What is wrong? 

I think an answer of communalism is missing. The reality is, the usa has a large sense of individualism. I , me, mine. It isn't we, us, our. Kids get online, search their stream, have their content. It isn't communal activity, merely one in a field. 

1:16:14 and in defense, the black populace in the usa, has more funding than ever before. We forget, our financial allowance in all industries in the usa started in the 1900s not 1492.  I argue 1980s is the first decade in the usa where all sectors in the usa was actually open to black people, that is centuries blockaded and that is not easy to recover.

1:18:19 exactly, the individualism is rampant in the usa, communalism has it's advantages

1:18:56 This questioner is asking a way to determine truth in modern media absent any doubt, in the governmental sector, that doesn't exist outside door to door offline. The only way an elected official can reach people to give them the truth from their mouth, is town halls, door to door. 

To be historical , bill clinton told hillary clinton that she needed to do more groundwork, but she didn't feel it was needed. It isn't a problem, go door to door, be communal. it is time consuming, it isn't flashy. it isn't quick money but...

1:22:56 Nice talk , enjoyed your pulpit:)

my thoughts in conclusion

Does the information resonate or not?  Do you care about the subject, why or why not?  Do I make a compelling case, or is it mostly boring 

To anyone online, the issue of the algorithms online that dictate how the info flows should resonate, if it doesn't well, you are a true libertarian or maybe elibertarian. 

I care about all subjects, I grew up and still have a home where topics are discussed offline. 

I Care about this issue as an artist online trying to figure out how to gain more outreach or fiscal profit while still be myself. 

I have heard most of your points to be honest, but the points are warranted and to those who haven't heard hopefully will enlighten. 

Boring is a funny word. You do drill some of your points. But is that drilling excessive, where it nulls the mind. I don't think so. But to those minds already nulled welll:) 

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2024 at 7:54 PM, richardmurray said:

rent or food keep raising

Here in suburban Tampa it is like night and day compared to when I started living here in 2011.  It still a lot chaps than NYC, but I used to describe the area as "very inexpensive" not anymore.

I argue, the internet is full of people who have lesser spheres of influence that is surviving. 

I'm sure, but they remain largely undiscoverable.  This was less true before Google dominance and our collective obsequiousness to them.

no firm is ever accepted for consistent financial results. Public trading demands greater growth all the time

The reason is investors demand increasing returns.  Period.

the village voice is gone in nyc, amsterdam news in harlem is a weekly, tough time

Is the Amsterdam News still in print?  I used to subscribe to the print edition.  The covered AALBC back in 2008.  We need Black-owned media.  Who else will tell our stories.

aalbc in the amsterdam news.jpg

any analogies to the ATT or MA Bell breakup in the 80s. 

Believe it or not AT&T was worse.  They were a "true" monopoly and as such completely stifled innovation. But you were there Richard you know how much phone calls cost and greatest innovation we saw in the phone was push buttons.

Thanks for you detailed analysis @richardmurray

@Delano interesting article.  I'm not familiar with the publisher and I always take opinion pieces on unfamiliar platforms with a grain of salt. 

The article referenced "erasing" white men several times and was clearly biased in this regard.  The following tweet was presented as evidence.

article on google.jpg

PLEASE! How in the hell can a company owned, run, and principally populated by white men be accused of holding back white men?!  I sure if Shaun was any good at his job, he would not be on Twitter bitching, but collecting his fat paycheck. 

Ignoring the perception of anti-whoite make bias at Google. The follow paragraph is taken from the article:

Could the story really be so simple as out-of-control DEI-brained management? To a certain extent, and on a few teams far more than most, this does appear to be true. But on closer examination it seems woke lunacy is only a symptom of the company’s far greater problems. First, Google is now facing the classic Innovator’s Dilemma, in which the development of a new and important technology well within its capability undermines its present business model. Second, and probably more importantly, nobody’s in charge.

Again, DEI is not the real problem.  I do think the "Innovator’s Dilemma" is a problem, as the classic search engine's days are numbered along with the bazillions of dollars their's generates. 

Google perverted their search engine.  AI's ability to Seach the web is a refreshing improvement over Google search.  However, AI hurts websites, which further hurts Google.

37 minutes ago, Troy said:

Google perverted their search engine.  AI's ability to Seach the web is a refreshing improvement over Google search.  However, AI hurts websites, which further hurts Google.

I'd imagine Google will be heavily invested in AI technology. It only makes sense and more money. No pain. 

Smaller companies will have to adapt or feast or famine. 

Those who invented or thrived on [insert obsolete technology here] had to roll with the changes brought along by new technology whether it was investment or adaptation or cashing out.

That cycle of change and planned obsolescence has been ongoing for at least a half-century and counting.

A UBI (Universal Basic Income) will provide a softer landing for future generations.😎

@Troy

The reason is investors demand increasing returns.  Period.

yes, i comprehend but my point is about the publicly traded firm model being the problem. Public traded firms allows for firms absent revenue or savings or even in debt to gain investment or balance their value. But the problem is, staying in the publicly traded form too long forces a firm to act financially foolish.

I Wonder Troy, do you know how many firms in the usa went from publicly traded to private in 2023? I don't know but i imagine you know where to look

Is the Amsterdam News still in print?  I used to subscribe to the print edition.  The covered AALBC back in 2008.  We need Black-owned media.  Who else will tell our stories.

yes, still black owned, still in print. .. still in harlem:) 

Thanks for you detailed analysis

yeah, i don't always get the time, i am working on my craft, but I try to aid the discourse in this website:)

@ProfD

A UBI (Universal Basic Income) will provide a softer landing for future generations.😎

well, the two problems are not easy challenges. everything works conceptually. but the reality is the usa's fiscal capitalistic environment is a slaver, it looks to use , to  abuse, to enslave, to prey. Look at Crypto's fallout, all the cheats and scams all over the place. Look at the scams being aided by modern computing power [usually called AI]  giving people money to use as they wish with these financial practices... is devastating. Now some have suggested as a federal program in the usa to limit the uses but many lobbyist serving varied financial actors will be outside the door of elected officials with the money to make sure their clients prodcuts are not banned so, the problem isn't little. People elected in the usa  are not happy to do for the people, they are all looking, correctly in my view, for financial reward. They will accept the money to gain their loving ones generational wealth. And this doesn't include the international complexity of universal basic income. And it is the international aspect that can lead to a path of war.