... over a week ago, I was in a location where Automated Teller Machines exist and a Black woman, I think Descended Of Enslaved, suggested I needed to be careful. She continued while I merely looked and said, she was in said ATM locale earlier and homeless people were in the place. She felt fear and called law enforcement. I said nothing to her, and just left. But I pondered a few questions.

Did said homeless people attack her? 

Did said Homeless people approach her? 

Did said homeless people speak to her? 

She defined her experience. She didn't say she was harmed or approached in any way. She said, using my word choice, she came into the locale, saw homeless people, felt threatened by their presence and called law enforcement.  She suggested I be safe but safe from what. The presence of homeless people does not make me feel worried or threatened or scared. But the larger question is, how many Black people are like said black woman. I bet millions, and definitely not an insignificant amount. But the larger question isn't most important. The most important is how much has unfounded Black fear of Black people led to aiding law enforcement. I will explain. The NYPD select how they operate. They do it based on biases, negative or positive. Sequentially, when Black people call law enforcement on Black people they feel , not are actively, threatened by , it is fuel for the NYPD's biases. I know of Black people raised at the same time as me les than 5 blocks from my home who said the Black community was dangerous in our community. A danger I never felt one day , not one day, and I walked to and from school nearly my entire school life, north to south or west to east,  in my community. I was fortunate to not have to leave my community to go to school.  My point, Black people lie about our communities condition to ourselves. We take our dislikes at Black people who are poor, loud, angry, hustling and turn that into crimes. 

I conclude using the following. If you are black plus live in a black community in a city anywhere plus you feel threatened aside other black people who you fear because of the way they wear their clothes or they speak or they live then go into your home, lock the door, and never go out. 

Half of the people in New York City don't have the ability to afford basic needs. The proof is stated in more detail with supporting evidence at the following link
https://aalbc.com/tc/profile/6477-richardmurray/?status=2319&type=status

NYPD

->greatest crime is theft, why look above

https://aalbc.com/tc/profile/6477-richardmurray/?status=2103&type=status

-> The NYPD's statistics are gathered based on their actions which are publicly known to be negatively biased towards blacks while positively biased towards whites

https://aalbc.com/tc/profile/6477-richardmurray/?status=2162&type=status

-> Riker's is a detention cell, sequentially, the people in it are not confirmed to have committed a crime but are confirmed to have been judged by the New York Police Department to warrant detention, but the NYPD is negatively biased towards blacks

https://aalbc.com/tc/profile/6477-richardmurray/?status=2091&type=status

-> The NYPD admitted black crimes went up 100% second in the city to hate crimes against white jews but the NYPD nor local media in NYC seem to be able to televise or get a street camera or put in jail anyone who committed a hate crime against black people

https://aalbc.com/tc/profile/6477-richardmurray/?status=1894&type=status

1 hour ago, richardmurray said:

A danger I never felt one day , not one day, and I walked to and from school nearly my entire school life, north to south or west to east,  in my community.

How old are you and where exactly did you grow up?  In my youth, there was definitely a danger of getting robbed. Almost every adult woman I know was mugged.  My mother was robbed in her own apartment building twice once by gun, and another time the scumbag held a knife to my little sister's throat.  This was in the 70's.  I'm not aware of this happening now.

As an adult living NYC (Park Slope and Harlem) as an adult from 1993 until 2011/17 my biggest threat came from law enforcement -- seriously.

Crime is definitely on the rise there.  People's cars are being robbed.  My kid's bike was stolen (bike lock was cut).  I can see why a woman would feel threatened by a group of homeless people in the area of an ATM.

When you visit from someplace where you don't see homelessness, seeing it in NYC is jarring.  It is hard to understand, from an outsider's perspective, how NYC tolerated this situation.  NYC is not unique, I've seen these conditions in Tulsa OK, Sacramento CA, etc... 

At some point, NYC will need to deal with all of the issues you raised @richardmurray, for the chicken will come home to roost.  BTW the PDF file you linked in your blog does not have the "NYC True Cost of Living" document. Here is the direct link: https://issuu.com/uwnyc/docs/nyctcl2023/8

New York City True Cost of Living

For me, the blessing and curse of growing up in a place that was once considered the murder capital of the world, I've never been fearful of my surroundings. 

Obviously, there are certain precautionary measures taken and instincts one develops in order to avoid becoming a victim or a statistic especially in a *dangerous* environment.  

The real questions are 1) why NYC law enforcement allows homeless people to congregate near an ATM and 2) why folks would use said ATM if they are afraid.

That difference in perception of the environment for that woman and @richardmurray has existed for as long as there have been impoverished communities.😎

I was at a station in Brooklyn no one on the platform but me. A homeless guy approached a thin silver pointy thin poker fell out of his clothes. So I watch everyone. I grew up in the 70's. So my first dead body at 12. It happened around the corner from the barber shop. He was a friend of the family.

sorry to hear about your friend @Delano 

when I was younger I was afraid of dying. Even as a kid it seemed like an irrational fear, as i got much  much  older i realized it was probably PTSD.  

That homeless guy may have had the poker for protection; the homeless catch beat downs all the time.

but i agree, you still have to keep your eyes open.  In the 70s it was a matter of survival. When i was a kid you could get jumped just for walking on the wrong streets. 

Hearing about DC, Chicago, LA at their worst made NYC seem relatively mild at its worst.  The gangs were a problem in NYC but compared to what was published about South central LA — forget about it. A friend — a grown woman — was made to go back home and change her clothes cause she had the nerve to be wearing red (this was in the 80s). I don’t blame women, anyone really, for being fearful in some situations. 

you have to make fast judgements and these will be based on stereotypes .

Which brings me to white women clutching their purse, or crossing the street upon seeing a black man approach. Some people get bent out of shape because of this, but if you consider all of the biased media demonizing, black men, how could you expect any other behavior?

@Troy harlem nyc, after the 1970s.  

The link should work now. That link is to my public skydrive so it should be available . 

Please try it out for me, and tell me if the following works. It is public and viewable, but not editable. 

https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArspJ5yABJDqg8EsiSlQIdYn0kDlcA?e=LnBJgs

Or, maybe NYC will not. NYC is a minor mirror to the USA, historically or modernly.NYC like the USA can exist for a long time with a fiscal wealthy aided by an army. No city in the usa has more billionaires and no city has a law enforcement agency larger than the NYPD. But, the illusions of the USA, that statue of liberty, they are dying and that is good cause everything they alluded to was never true. When I look at NYC historically, even for whites, it was never this city of opportunity, this city of upward mobility. This city of middle class power. all lies. Lies that rich people said for their ego or their dysfunctional philosophies. Or less the poor said for they didn't want to look at their life  honestly. NYC's government, like the USA government, is deadlocked in the legacy of lies that are losing out to truth. The truth of the usa has always been and will always be negative, cruel, vicious. The minority of good stories mounted as common are losing their vitality. 

@ProfD  To your first question, the NYPD doesn't exist to protect or serve, it exist to financially ingratiate itself. The NYPD needed statistics to warrant more money, law enforcers put those in jail to make the numbers. The NYPD needed to make sure each race in the NYC had a member pro cop, it opened its ranks. All of this is to make money. I will be simple, if you want a stronger communal environment, law enforcement isn't the answer. To your second question, people in NYC love to have their cake and eat it to. The examples are many where people in NYC publicly proclaim a position to others that they themselves don't apply if they are in the same situation as others. 

@Delano fair enough, I can only say, like the USA, NYC could use someone to treat its partitions separately. But that goes into the problem. PEople, many people, in the usa want a universal application. How I lived is how everybody lived or how I live is how everybody has to live and there lies the problem . Maybe other there is different.