More Race Based Science

Black race, African ancestry tied to food allergies

By Genevra Pittman, Reuters Health

5 MIN READ

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - In a new study of two-year-olds in Boston, black kids were twice as likely as white kids to have an immune response to foods such as peanuts, milk, and eggs, and almost four times as likely to have a “sensitization” to three or more foods.

While food sensitization doesn’t necessarily pose any danger on its own, kids who are sensitized to certain foods are more likely to develop full-blown allergies to them in the future.

“We know that sensitization is not the same thing as food allergy, but what they’re reporting does seem to be consistent with what has been seen in other populations,” said Christine Joseph, an allergy and asthma researcher from the Henry Ford Health System in Detroit who was not involved in the new study.

Other recent studies have hinted at higher rates of food sensitizations or allergies in blacks, she told Reuters Health.

Researchers also looked at the kids’ DNA and found that the more African ancestry it showed, the more likely a child was to have any type of food sensitization, especially to peanuts.

But it’s still unclear why that’s the case, they said. It could be that differences in genes make some kids more likely than others to get allergies, or it may have to do with their environment and what they’re exposed to early in life.

The study included about 1,100 kids, all born at Boston Medical Center. Between two and three years after birth, researchers led by Dr. Rajesh Kumar of Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago brought them in to test their immune responses to eight different types of foods that typically cause allergies: eggs, milk, peanuts, soy, shrimp, walnuts, wheat and cod.

Most kids in the study were from urban areas and many were from low-income families. About six in ten of them were identified as black by their moms.

In all, just over one-third of kids had an immune response to at least one of the foods, the researchers reported in Pediatrics.

About 38 percent of black kids had a food sensitization, compared to 22 percent of white kids. When the researchers took into account factors like whether or not kids were breastfed and if moms smoked while they were pregnant, the black two-year-olds were more than twice as likely to have a food sensitization.

They were also almost four times as likely to have a detectable immune-system response to three or more of the potential allergens.

Hispanic kids tended to have more food sensitizations than white kids, but statistics showed that finding could have been due to chance.

Food sensitizations were also more common in kids whose ancestors were mostly from Africa, compared to those of European descent, according to genetic tests.

There were some differences between kids whose moms reported their race as black and those who had more gene markers suggesting African descent. For example, African ancestry was linked to a greater chance of having a high immune response to peanuts, whereas black race was not.

That tells researchers that genetics may play a role in how likely kids are to have food sensitizations or allergies. Or, something about different ancestral environments may be playing a role, Kumar said -- for example, people from Africa are known to have lower vitamin D levels early in life. Vitamin D has been linked to some aspects of immune function.

On another level, cultural factors such as what type of foods kids are exposed to when they’re young, or where they grow up, might trigger allergies, especially if there is already an underlying race-related genetic susceptibility, Joseph said.

More research is needed to better determine what’s behind these differences in risk, both by race and ancestry, they agreed.

For now, Kumar said, “we need to be aware that food allergy is a problem within urban populations.”

Pediatricians, he told Reuters Health, “should equally think of food allergy in their African American patients as they do in their white patients.”

SOURCE: bit.ly/ny7YDj Pediatrics, online September 5, 2011.

Black race, African ancestry tied to food allergies | Reuters

From 1971...............

EFFECTS OF MILK ON BLACKS NOTED

MINNEAPOLIS, Oct. 14 —A Baltimore research team has found that more than half of black schoolchildren may be Unable to digest milk properly, raising serious questions about the usefulness of school milk programs to help raise the nu tritional status of blacks.

Dr. David M. Paige, who de Cribed the findings here today at the annual meeting of the American Public Health Asso ciation, said children who had this inability probably could not get the expected nutrition al benefit from the milk they drink.

Prior to this study, milk in tolerance was known to be common among nonwhite adults, including Orientals and Indians, but nonwhite children were thought to be able to handle milk without difficulty. In the Baltimore tests, how ever, 58 per cent of the black children were found to be milk intolerant, compared with only 18 per cent of the white chil dren.

Whereas the failure of many black children to drink milk has usually been attributed to lack of money and education, the Baltimore findings suggest that an inability to digest milk may be the major cause.

Among the black children in the study who did not drink milk, 85 per cent were found to be milk intolerant. But only 17 per cent of white children who were not milk drinkers were unable to digest milk.

The study was conducted among 312 Negro and 221 white children in the first through the sixth grades at two Baltimore elementary schools. Dr. Paige, a pediatri cian at Johns Hopkins Univer sity, said, he saw “no reason why the findings shouldn't be applicable to all black chil dren.”

Milk Intolerance is a result of the missing of an enzyme, lactase, which helps break down the milk sugar, lactose. Persons with a lactase defi ciency who consume milk or milk products may stiffer such symptoms as abdominal gas, bloating, cramps and diarrhea. Thus, feeding milk to black children who are unable to di gest it properly may have the paradoxical effect in some chil dren of impairing their health.

The study was done by re cording how much milk the youngsters drank as part of their lunch in school lunch rooms. Those who finished less than half of an eight‐ounce container of milk were classi fied as nondrinkers of milk. They were twice as prevalent among blacks as whites. In fol low‐up studies, the children were given lactose tolerance tests, which showed the much higher frequency of milk intol erance among blacks.

Interviews with others re vealed that all the children who were not milk drinkers had been able to drink milk without ill effects when they were in fants. None had a history of milk allergy or other milk feed ing problems, Dr. Paige report ed. Apparently, then, lactase is present in infancy, but the en zyme system in many children disappears early in childhood.

EFFECTS OF MILK ON BLACKS NOTED - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

• Like 1

Now if we were to IGNORE the factor of race or pretend that it doesn't exist....how would certain diseases and disorders that certain races are predisposed to be solved?

You'd be feeding and shoveling the same food to Black children as you're giving to White children and wondering why are so many of the Black kids getting sick when they're "all the same".

No....race DOES make a difference and we need to recognize this.

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

No....race DOES make a difference and we need to recognize this.

I wear being Black as a badge of honor.  I'm proud of it. 

I truly believe that Black people are the righteous

That's why other races of people attack and undermine us. 

It may not happen in my lifetime but Black folks will eventually get tired of being mistreated and destroy our enemies. 

When the Black man rises; peace will be restored to the Earth.😎

• Thanks 1

@Pioneer1 there is a lot to unpack here and if I thought it would make a difference, I might take more time...    

We already know darker skinned people in northern climates are more prone to vitamin D deficiency than lighter skinned people. It has to do with difference in exposure to the sun.  We also know that people descent from farming cultures are less likely to be lactose intolerant -- it is a function of having the enzyme to break lactose down not skin color.   

Anecdotally, growing up I did not know a single kid who was allergic to peanuts.  Peanut butter and jelly was a childhood staple.  I don't know what changed.  I think it is behavoral/environmental.  When my kids were small it was the rich white kids suffering from peanut allergies. At one point some kid was so allergic we were asked not to send out kids to school with peanut products.

Maybe this will help:

You think about people in very rigid terms (i.e. Black or not Black), when in reality we are all on a spectrum when it comes to all the characteristic from lip thickness, hair texture, skin color, eye color, or any other attribute that you want to use determine race. You believe there must be some binary rule to define Blackness as if there was a Black gene, or combination of genes, that makes one Black. There isn't.  Humans are far more complex and nuanced. 

Race exists as a social construct.  The geneticists tell us there is no genetic basis for race. Why do you think you know better?

None of my ancestors or descendants are allergic to peanuts, suffer from vitamin d deficiency, or are lactose intolerant.  I guess we are not Black in your book.

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

I wear being Black as a badge of honor.  I'm proud of it. 

At the risk of stating the obvious, so do I.

But I also recognize when we raise our fists an exclaim "I'm Black and I'm proud!" it is as much as a reaction to white racism as it is anything else.

Running this website is a reaction to white supremacy. 

I  am  attaching part of an article by Richard Tubb MD, which can be found  in at line 1098 in the  pdf,  request-20-320.pdf 

at the usrtk website.   The different haplotypes of G6PD genes across races, and did COVID-19 target the Blacks' G6PD A gene. 

g6pd.gif.1bbf16e1d62ccc93d405ac3fff91d044.gif

And the different haplotypes of the dystophin gene, some haplotypes had by White, others exclusive to Blacks.  

zy6.gif.c7a990316c6518acbc0c634d3ce78e77.gif 

in the article,  'An X-linked Haplotype of Neandertal Origin is Present in All Non-African Populations', by  Vania   Yotova, and others.

That B006 haplotpe is supposed to be Neanderthal  origin, and exclusively in non-Africans.  

13 hours ago, Troy said:

We also know that people descent from farming cultures are less likely to be lactose intolerant -- it is a function of having the enzyme to break lactose down not skin color.   

I believe this only partially and don't think that the real origin of genes that cause lactase to be in the intestines of certain people while not in others is not completely understood. Scientist know it has to do with genes but then they say it is also based on some cultures who drink milk all of the time and for this reason will develop lactase. But again, I think there is some contradiction especially considering the ancient TURKISH PEOPLES; The Keraites.

They know that the Keraites drink milk and ate yogurt but they did have problems with being lactose intolerant. 

13 hours ago, Troy said:

You think about people in very rigid terms (i.e. Black or not Black), when in reality we are all on a spectrum when it comes to all the characteristic from lip thickness, hair texture, skin color, eye color, or any other attribute that you want to use determine race. You believe there must be some binary rule to define Blackness as if there was a Black gene, or combination of genes, that makes one Black. There isn't.  Humans are far more complex and nuanced. 

@Troy THE BLACK GENE? 

Melanin, would probably be the best way to understand this topic.

There are combination of genes that do define certain characteristics that certain humans exhibit. Genes tend to travel in pairs.

But as you say, we are all on a spectrum when it comes to all the characteristics, ALL EXCEPT FOR ONE!!! And that one, is what makes people of African descent, ABORGINALS, unique. And yes, I believe that understanding genetics and how modern western mankind have confused us with their definition of 'Race' in relation to 'skin color' is wrong but this is what they did to make it seem complex. 

SKIN COLOR is arbitrary in terms of defining humans based solely on this phenotype basis, but the origin and genetics is important too, in how it relates to what @Pioneer1is addressing. Food allergies are a reality but how it relates to certain humans in terms of 'race' is confusing, I agree, but it's because of modern interpretations. 

We, as modern humans share more traits than not, and even show that we have inter-bred with Primitive humans, however, you will never see any scientific proof that Neanderthals were walking around with afros. This factor is vital in understanding how we all as modern humans differientiate on the spectrum of genotypical traits. 

9 hours ago, zeke1234 said:

in the article,  'An X-linked Haplotype of Neandertal Origin is Present in All Non-African Populations', by  Vania   Yotova, and others.

That B006 haplotpe is supposed to be Neanderthal  origin, and exclusively in non-Africans.  

That is absolutely questionable. Scientists have not confirmed any male haplogroup for Neanderthals, and as this article explains, they are trying to exact statements based on 'X-linked Haplotype' to base their opinions. Other studies say that Neanderthals were Lactose Intolerant, but I don't actually believe that completely because for now, they say that Neanderthals ate meat as a main diet and did not drink milk. And they say that Neanderthals have blood type O, and that is a broad interpretation, imo. So I think though, that Neanderthal genetics is important in understanding how we differ today! 

• Like 1

One of the reasons food allergies and intolerances among the races SEEMS to be so confusing is because so many people who LOOK like they are solidly in one race are actually MIXED with other races....so their genotype has more of an influence on them than their phenotype.

We all have met Black people who LOOK Black put have what we would call a "White mentality" or "White vibe" about them.
There are plenty of mixed people who LOOK Black but have a lot of White in their chemistry and biological make up.
There are also the opposite....mixed people who LOOK White phenotypically but have strong African genes.

You have Black people who can tolerate milk even at an old age, can't dance, have small penises, etc.....things you'd expect from a Caucasian, lol.
This is most likely because they have White ancestry in their background and those Caucasian genes came through in some aspect of biological or chemical make-up.
Just like you have some White dudes who can sing, dance, and have a strong sense of style.....a lot of them have African ancestry deep in their background that comes through.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 5:35 PM, Pioneer1 said:

You have Black people who can tolerate milk even at an old age, can't dance, have small penises, etc.....things you'd expect from a Caucasian, lol.
This is most likely because they have White ancestry in their background and those Caucasian genes came through in some aspect of biological or chemical make-up.
Just like you have some White dudes who can sing, dance, and have a strong sense of style.....a lot of them have African ancestry deep in their background that comes through.

That  last paragraph was a doozy Brother. 

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2023 at 5:35 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Uh ... sounds like a contradiction, here @Pioneer1

LOL! 

Okay, so I need you to cut me some slack on the Canadian dancer I posted, then, Kacy Rondeau!

Okay!?

🤣

On 8/13/2023 at 11:55 AM, Chevdove said:

Uh ... sounds like a contradiction, here @Pioneer1

LOL! 

To someone who knows nothing about baking.....the ingredients of a CAKE sounds like a "contradiction".

image.png.d1f229a9328472dec6e239de199909ba.png

"Whachoo mean you made it with butter?
I thought you said you made it with flour?"

"She told ME that she made it with eggs!
She just keep CONTRADICTING herself!!!"

When you have a PROPER understanding, then it makes sense.