An Open Letter from Participants in the Palestine Festival of Literature

An Open Letter from Participants in the Palestine Festival of Literature Ta-Nehisi Coates, Molly Crabapple, Natalie Diaz, Maaza Mengiste, Solmaz Sharif, et al.

"We call for the international community to commit to ending the catastrophe unfolding in Gaza and to finally pursuing a comprehensive and just political solution in Palestine."

"We are writers and artists who have been to Palestine to participate in the Palestine Festival of Literature. We now call for the international community to commit to ending the catastrophe unfolding in Gaza and to finally pursuing a comprehensive and just political solution in Palestine. We have exercised our privilege as international visitors to move around historic Palestine in ways that most Palestinians are unable to. We have met and been hosted by Palestinian artists, human rights workers, writers, historians, and activists. We have stood on stage with them. Many of these people, including the festival organizers based in Palestine, are in fear for their lives right now. One festival organizer is locked down with their child in Ramallah, sharing updates about the people killed by armed settlers last night. One partner in Gaza, a magazine editor, is no longer answering messages."

As an FBA/ADOS, I'm neutral on this matter. Nobody lifts a finger to help us. 

But, I'll write this...

The US gov't could ask Israel to cease-fire and spare Palestinians.

Instead, the US is in the process of sending $14.5 billion in military aid to Israel. That's confirmation of which side of the conflict they've taken. 

Palestinians had to know these days were coming when they allowed Hamas to make Gaza their base of operations.

The best thing Palestinians can do is leave before Israel levels the whole place.

Israel isn't interested in prisoners or hostages or refugees. No two-state solution. They want the whole thing now. 😎

1. We as Black people don't have a dog in this fight because BOTH the Israelis and Palestinians have shown themselves to be racists against Black people.
Not all of them obviously, but collectively.

Ask the Ethiopian Jews about the racism they've faced in Israel by the Ashkenazi Jews.
Ask Black people in Palestine and other parts of the Middle East what "abeed" means and how they're treated by Arabs.

I say let them handle that between themselves.

2. Going back to what I said earlier.
You have Egypt, Iran, Syria, Iraq and other nations with militaries who COULD help out the Palestinians.
But they aren't.........to any noticeable extent atleast.
There's a reason.

I don't want innocent people to be killed or even injured ANYWHERE on this planet.
Not in Israel, not in Palestine, not in Congo, not in Nigeria, .....nowhere.

All of this focus on Gaza and what's going on over there, where was the focus of the world while fighting goes on in Eretria and Congo and Ethiopia?

Do not THOSE lives matter too?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Troy said:

Another benefit to the Trump candidacy as I’m sure he’ll have no interest in getting involved in that tragic mess.

Slow down mayne. There's no benefit to his candidacy. Just another old dude looking to enrich his friends and himself at public expense.😁😎

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Since so many people are in agreement with what I just wrote, I suppose the wise thing to do is stop while I'm ahead and not post anything else in this thread.......lol.  😉

Don't become gun shy now.🤣

For the most part, nobody's trying to drag Black folks into giving an opinion one way or another on this conflict. We've been on code in staying neutral and silent. Not our fight. 

However, a branch of Black Lives Matter caught some flak for supporting the Palestinians.😎

Okay now, why are they showing photos of two African American officials today in the headlines about bombing Iran backed mission in East Syria!?

This is so depressing. 

U.S. Military Conducts ‘Self-Defense Strike’ In Syria As Attacks Against Service Members Increase
Story by Antonio Pequeño IV, Forbes Staff  • 18m

spacer.png