Ask Troy Johnson Anything TODAY (November 12, 2023) at 2 p.m. Eastern

@Chevdove that photo was taken a few years ago before I could have conceived of being a new father 😉

@Pioneer1 it would have cool if you popped in and asked a question without me knowing who you were.  I don't self-promote very much and am trying to get better at it.  I'm from a generation where modesty was considered a virtue, and I still think it is--even if social media incentives tell us something different.  Besides you can ask me anything anytime 🙂

On 11/13/2023 at 3:52 PM, Troy said:

I'm from a generation where modesty was considered a virtue, 

I don't know ANYBODY who grew up in Harlem or any other Black community in America in the 60s and 70s who thought "modesty" was a virtue.....lol.

....talking about cats who wouldn't even leave the house before checking in with the full length mirror and making sure their shoes and belt were matching and their hats were properly tilted on their heads before they walked out the door....LOL.

we know you did not spend any time in the church do the notion that modesty is considered a virtue may have escaped you.

Dressing well is one thing, but going around talking about yourself constantly is not only boring but  bad manners. Today it is how you “work” social media.

speaking of dressing compare the brothers who sag  their jeans exposing their drawers to the ones that made sure they were pressed and fit well. Who is more modest? ;-)

Troy

Both my Parents were Christian and me and my brothers went to both the Baptist and Methodist church off and on until I was a teenager and old enough to stop going on my own....lol.

We didn't see any "modesty".

I saw people showing off their new suits....especially during Easter.
Men chasing after women....women chasing after men.
Women often fighting over men....lol.
Pastors and Bishops driving nice cars.

Maybe I should have went to church in New York, lol.

ProfD

We've always been a people of style who loves to dress well.
It's part of our nature.

We're extremely creative and have a keen sense of style and flavor.

My only issue is why they do it in CHURCH.

Church is supposed to be a place where you serve and worship Jesus, not a place to show off your latest clothes and look for some vitamin-D or P...lol

Sissies singing all in the choir and playing the piano....lol.

14 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

My only issue is why they do it in CHURCH.

That's easy.

Black churches are the one place a whole bunch of Black folks know they'll have an audience to whom they can show their style, money, talent, etc.

OTOH, put them in a white church and that showing off sh8t goes out the window.

N8gglets become meek and humble around white folks. Hat's in hand and bowing...yes sir...no ma'am.  🤣

Black folks show off for each other. They instinctively know that nobody else gives a f8ck about them.😁😎

On 11/18/2023 at 12:35 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Seems like every other time I try to post a picture it says anything over 30KB is too big or over 10KB is too big.....today anything over 1KB is too big.

No, I have not noticed that email me a photo that you are unable to upload and I'll look into it.