Anybody Remember This Commercial?

Does anyone remember this commercial from back in the 80s............

I do.
Hadn't even seen it since the 80s until came across it a few weeks ago.
Somebody reminded me of it and I went-a-huntin'.....and finally found it.

Although I have to admit......
I don't remember seeing so many White folks dancing around in it as I see, lol.

Whaaaaat.......lol.

Man, I kinda liked this commercial.

Ofcourse if you compare it to TODAY after Hiphop has matured so much, it looks a little corny.
But back in the mid 80s (I believe) when it first came out, just seeing Black folks on television rapping and Breakdancing was the jam!
You didn't see that much on regular television.

I only saw THIS one a few times.
I remember being over my cousin's house and it was about 10 of us in the basement and we were arguing over New Edition.....lol

You have to put that commercial in it's proper CONTEXT.

I think this and a few other Hiphop commercials came on during and right after Soul Train or some other Black themed program.
I remember Hiphop McDonald's commercials...lol.

3 hours ago, Troy said:

@Pioneer1 it is cute now, but it definitely would have been unequivocally corny to someone from Money Maker (Manhattan) or The Boogie (the Bronx) back in the day. 

What say you @Delano?  You grew up down the street from Spofford, what do you think those brothers would have thought?

I was only in the South Bronx until 5. No I hadn't seen that commercial. 

For me it is so bad on a couple of levels. The only thing I liked was the swirling chocolate.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dee Miller said:

@Pioneer1 nope. Never seen it.  I’m with @Troy, not an NY commercial…lolol. 

cracks me up though as I’m sitting here thinking about the evolution of commercials.  

Sista Dee!

I'm not sure why yall don't think THAT commercial would fly in New York when I remember there used to be some White dude in a cowboy hat and drawers playing country music on his guitar in the middle of Manhattan....lol.

And that was back in the 90s or 2000s if I'm not mistaken.....lol.

Sorry @Pioneer1 I meant write "swirling."  But nevermind...

The dude player guitar in times square was a Busker, long after the commercial aired when the "40 deuce" area became respectable.

Again, the commercial would have been ridiculed. It was an early example of Hip-Hop being misappropriated by brands.  They mixed break dancing with locking and MJ's boogaloo moves. 

Troy

I think the criticism is a little to harsh.

It's a CANDY BAR COMMERCIAL....not a documentary on Hiphop and the evolution of Urban dancing....lol.

Personally, I appreciate the fact that Hershey decided to CATER TO the early Hiphop crowd and Urban AfroAmerican culture while so many other commercials at that time ignored us and many STILL do.

One of the things I liked about Western Europe (and Canada) was despite it's low Black and definitely low AfroAmerican population, they seem to have an appreciation.....even if it's just superficial....of AfroAmerican music and artistic skills.

When I was in Germany and Belgium I remember going to the markets and other public places and heard a lot of modern (for that time) and old school Hiphop being played!

Like I said in another thread, they played hard core Hiphop like Black Rob and Too Short on the television commercials in Canada!

You don't get that in the U.S.

Not in the supermarkets, the gas stations, not even the liquor stores.

We were talking about Walmart in another thread.
You go to the Walmarts in the U.S. and they're playing damn COUNTRY MUSIC.....even in inner city stores.

No respect or appreciation for Black home grown talent.

So I can't get mad at Hershey for not hiring the Breakers from Beat Street to make their candy bar commercial more authentic for their Bronx audience, lol.

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:
3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

We were talking about Walmart in another thread.
You go to the Walmarts in the U.S. and they're playing damn COUNTRY MUSIC.....even in inner city stores.

@Pioneer1 wanna hear a funny? Your statement reminded me about a business trip I had to RI. I stopped to have lunch at a seafood restaurant and was literally the only customer in the joint.  They were playing alternative music (I’ll call it).  After the waiter took my order and retreated to the back, suddenly the music changed to R&B old school. I had to laugh, but appreciate the sentiment.

The seafood was delicious, the waiter winked at me as if to take credit for recognizing the disparity and the music was on point…lol  gotta love it!

• Like 1