14000+ Jay-Z Limited Edition Collectible Library Cards issued by the BPL

But I couldn't get one of the 13 versions because I'm not a NY resident! But my daughter is, and she got the "Hard Knock Life" card pictured below.   I did get an

eyeful of this beautiful "Book of HOV" two-story, 8-section exhibit. The exhibit has been extended twice and will end on December 4, 2023, coinciding with Jay-Z's birthday.   The brilliance of the production lies in Jay-Z's storytelling ability. There will be no re-writing of his story. It is a fully interactive exhibit with artifacts, including signage from The Marcy Projects to a replica of the Baseline studio where Jay-Z recorded his multiplatinum albums. The beauty of this endeavor is that nothing stops us from erecting our multimedia memoir exhibition. As I write this, I realize that I can't capture the emotions I experienced in words. Especially as I think there may have been some residents who have never stepped foot in a library yet will probably be inspired to come now, even if it's to see this memoir come to life.   The day I attended, the library was filled with tourists and residents alike. It was challenging to get a proper photo without someone photobombing the shot. But I did get some good pictures. All in All, I give this exhibit five out of five stars; if you can, see it. 

spacer.png

Edited by Mel Hopkins
Syntax
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Troy said:

Oh I could have gotten you one

Thank you @Troy. I didn't know that the Brooklyn Public Library is a closed system. We discovered that the BPL card isn't accepted in the NYPL and vice versa. I never realized that the public library system differs from state to state. I think that is a good idea, though.  This way, neither a presidential administration nor Congress can close down the system!

Different Boroughs, Different Library Systems By Keith Williams Dec. 7, 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/07/nyregion/different-boroughs-different-library-systems.html?unlocked_article_code=kgnfpwXujYou4jpfMI5HRVGUYsjBEl-eFs2IjwzNymI9Y_1D8jG29O3_3ELCXEgwYyJC-IMdyluVJiDuFoSPmi4uQxk--bUJCyljmRfMe69GtU304A6tZzljj64x36_aCS4xqTm7SxkAOlqqHN66WyxPh5C7O0zDXmAfMDJuiU95Qmfl1npleAUlne6cH3D-6VJ8XkHKOjOS3HvotHLqc4wM6hMVk3iHni2giqflpecYnf8u0aaFJniWst0QLeMpjVS86NGo2OTRtOnUewXy-qE7mw1YJ2QKlRn83RCTuTJbPe6gcgjAVKvTaxyYs6kQkrR0yt4u_HCaDRBthPb5IW1AAnNT4QVxFVit9-lvDI9mq-3OB7su&smid=url-share

On 9/26/2023 at 11:18 AM, Mel Hopkins said:

"Hard Knock Life"

Mel, not to throw any (ahum) so-called but perhaps well deserved 'shade' on  "Hard Knock Life" and / or anything Jay-Z, but when you buy a $200 million mansion in Malibu, CA (see enclosed link) while virtually sucking the (moral, financial and spiritual) life blood out of America's poorest, underprivileged and needy black youth (and some other groups) in order to do it, there is a much bigger problem that lies ahead. Black Americans seem hell-bent on blindly feeding the (wealth-transfer) monster that is eating their lunch everyday, seemingly mesmerized by the prospect of becoming the next hip-hop sensation, social media influencer, and so forth. Black Americans are already at the bottom of the ladder and following Jay-Z and anyone else in his orbit, is very likely to keep them on the bottom rung for a very long time.

https://www.essence.com/lifestyle/beyonce-jay-z-new-200-million-home/

33 minutes ago, nels said:

Black Americans are already at the bottom of the ladder and following Jay-Z

This time, they followed JAY-Z  to the library and got a card. A library card that will give them access to a lot of worlds for a long time after this exhibit ends. 

However, I won't comment on Jay-Z's personal life or what he buys. That doesn't interest me. And further, none of that is on exhibit.

I'm sharing my perspective on the powerful display and how anyone can tell their story in this age of digital media to inspire others. 

The exhibition does an excellent job providing insight into Jay-Z's career and what he does with his celebrity to help those impoverished people you've mentioned; it also shares how others can follow their dreams and ascend the ladder to financial and professional success.   This is a generous endeavor on a scale I've not seen from any other celebrity thus far.  https://www.bklynlibrary.org/exhibitions/book-hov

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@nels Your shade is misdirected.  Jay-Z is a product of America.  

Most of Jay's wealth comes from white people, not "needy black youth" -- they don't have any money to spend.

1 hour ago, Mel Hopkins said:

However, I won't comment on Jay-Z's personal life or what he buys.

Why this activity interests people beyond a certain stage of development and age and always puzzled me.  Gossip is for bored people without lives of their own, so they cast shade, judge, and hate on others -- a sad, pathetic form of amusement.  Social media has exploited this base behavior for massive profits brining everyone's inner yenta to the fore. 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Troy said:

Most of Jay's wealth comes from white people, not "needy black youth"

Troy, IMO, you may be missing the point. It's the message that's being sent about realistically reaching a level that will indeed be unattainable for all but the (real plugged-in) 1%. Reflecting on your (again) mention of casting shade, judge, hate or whatever on others seems misdirected and perhaps to some, indicative of having a lack of understanding of core role models and how they impact the vision and growth of people, especially youth. Attempting to escape through the 'gossip' portal does little to invalidate what should be brought to light, whether it's a public figure's personal life, etc. Like it or not, in today's hyper-critical world where virtually every aspect of everyone's life is interconnected and intertwined with that which they may not have control of or a say in, anything is game. As for "they don't have any money to spend", ask them that same question and see what they say.

Okay  @nels  substantiate your statement:

6 hours ago, nels said:

Black Americans are already at the bottom of the ladder and following Jay-Z and anyone else in his orbit, is very likely to keep them on the bottom rung for a very long time.

tell me what black Americans are doing to make you say they are following Jay Z and ending you at the bottom as a result. … because he purchased an overpriced house? So what?

If you had not posted it here I would not have known about it. none of my friends are discussing it. You seem to be the only one who cares.  

Jay-Z rose from the Marcy Projects in Brooklyn, NYC to becoming a Hip-Hop icon.

It's awesome that Jay-Z's  hometown library has an exhibit on him especially while he's still in the prime of his life. 

Jay-Z is to music what Denzel Washington is to theater/cinema. They're both extremely talented masters of their craft and highly respected in the entertainment business.

Jay-Z turned his pen and word play into a billion dollar business enterprise. That's no small feat.

A young person would be well served in applying  Jay-Z's hustle in their own positive endeavors. 😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Mel Hopkins I think the original post would had been better for the black excellence showcase.  some of the comments in here are unbecoming in the black excellence topic. I wish you would had asked, i could had told you that the brooklyn library system is separate. Remember NYC's government originally is manhattan's. Manhattan absorbed the bronx which was more a dairy area, named for the bronx family. Then it absorbed rival city brooklyn through Kings county and half of queen's county, and the Richmond , staten island's older, not oldest name<that is native america>. So the borough presidents and various legal mechanisms in NYC derive from the fact that five counties with a lot of impetus by manhattan or new york county, joined to make the five borough nyc. And in defense , NYC is in truth five cities that standalone are top seven cities in the usa, los angeles + chicago are in the seven as well. so less centralized control is warranted as the bureaucracy is too big in nyc. 

I am happy for the inspiration that some... many, black people in NYC needed by having the library exhibit.  

To money... 

I am happy for Jay-Z's financial success. As an artist i do not see any connection between financial value or artistic value in the arts anywhere. If Curtis blow or Grandmaster flash started a few decades later while jay-z a few decades earlier more than likely they switch financial fortunes. If Beyonce was during the 1960s while tina turner was today, i imagine a similar reversal financially. Last poets for me is artistically superior to jay-z's work but jay'z's work is commercially superior to last poets , and that is ok. But jay-z was at the best time to make profit. the black communities wealth, the globla media acceptance of hip hop, his fanbase, the internet, it all fits to lead to money, and that luck is fine, but just luck. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2023 at 5:03 PM, nels said:

...but when you buy a $200 million mansion in Malibu, CA (see enclosed link) while virtually sucking the (moral, financial and spiritual) life blood out of America's poorest, underprivileged and needy black youth (and some other groups) in order to do it, there is a much bigger problem that lies ahead.

On 9/27/2023 at 5:03 PM, nels said:

Black Americans seem hell-bent on blindly feeding the (wealth-transfer) monster that is eating their lunch everyday, seemingly mesmerized by the prospect of becoming the next hip-hop sensation, social media influencer, and so forth.

@nels If your words were applied to some other institutions, I would see your point of view!

I would agree that there are even some Black institutions that may be guilty of doing exactly what you describe.

I don't follow Jay-Z in his music because it was not my genre, but I am trully amazed at some of his projects he has invested in when it comes to helping Black people who are under priviledged. I think Jay-Z is awesome. He's got heart for his people, imo. 

• Like 2

I have to admit that like Ice Cube....Jay Z is a lyrical genius despite the CONTENT of his work.

Could he be doing more for the AfroAmerican community?
Sure?
We all could.
But I can't knock the brother's hustling spirit.

He's been throwing down since the 90s.

And knowing that despite your looks you can STILL get rich, be popular, and get a lot of fine babes.....he's a real inspiration for "ugly" bruthaz....lol.

A real American "rags to riches" story.

Like he said in one of his song, 
"I went from rags to riches niggaz....I ain't dumb. 
I got 99 - (yall know the rest...lol)".

BTW.....
This is also another reason I like New York.
Even though Black folks don't make up a majority of the city like Atlanta, Detroit, or New Orleans......the Black talent is still celebrated and praised!
Imagine a PUBLIC LIBRARY featuring let alone honoring the work of a rapper in a city in the Midwest or South (outside of Atlanta).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chevdove said:

but I am trully amazed at some of his projects he has invested in when it comes to helping Black people who are under priviledged. I think Jay-Z is awesome. He's got heart for his people, imo. 

@Chevdove  Thank you for sharing this overview - many of his activities within the Black Community are on exhibit, too, with a call to the attendees to get involved. One of the activities included the elimination of cash bail. -It's rarely reported, but many people, including Black women, are in jail because they can't afford bond. And before anyone says they shouldn't have done anything wrong, consider this here in Georgia: it could be as simple as not knowing you have to stop even on a four-lane highway if a school bus is stopped on the opposite side and there's no cement median. This is one of his causes that he's put his reputation on the line by speaking out and using resources to get laws changed.   While the slow wheels of Justice churned, I heard about one of his efforts to bail out moms before Mother's Day, and I also found out he did the same for fathers. I don't feel the need to plead his case because he wields way more power in this country and doesn't need me -but I appreciate when many lend their celebrity to shine the spotlight on injustices in the Black Community. https://amsterdamnews.com/news/2017/06/22/jay-z-follows-footsteps-mothers-day-bail-out/

21 hours ago, richardmurray said:

I think the original post would had been better for the black excellence showcase.  so

@richardmurray I appreciate how the Black Excellence forum prohibits negativity - but I felt this one needs to be open to all commentary. Also, quiet as kept, I don't believe in "Black Excellence" in art. Art is messy, and it's open to interpretation. 

Thank you for sharing info on the NY State Library system. I'm a native NYer, and while there, I never knew to ask if there was a difference in library cards because mine was a Brooklyn Library card. I did ask the Librarian while I was there, and he told me about the closed system. Libraries are the "best-est."😊

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2023 at 8:44 PM, Troy said:

You seem to be the only one who cares

Given your judgemental response, if you don't care now, you will very likely care soon, once you understand the underlying message that Jay-Z and the entire hip-hop ecosystem is sending.

On 9/29/2023 at 6:18 PM, Chevdove said:

some of his projects he has invested in when it comes to helping Black people who are under priviledged

From the way it at least looks right now and under deeper scrutiny, Jay-Z's journey through life may be commendable in some respects, but in others, his entire personal and business lifestyle and the cultural carnage those lifestyles have left behind appears to have both promoted and elevated his success to a level that will never be achieved buy even the .001% of the underprivileged.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nels said:

Given your judgemental response, if you don't care now, you will very likely care soon, once you understand the underlying message that Jay-Z and the entire hip-hop ecosystem is sending.

We can't have a meaningful conversation if you ignore my questions and make false accusations.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since my sight is failing because I haven gotten around to getting the minor cataract surgery that I need, what i currently read has a lot to  with how large and how clear the print is. Nowadays, it's more convenient for me to utilize my Android phone rather than my old desk top computer to go on line, but the print on some of these  threads and sites  is really small and light and  hard for me to read on my phone and unfortunately, for some reason, although I can access this  board from my smart phone, I am unable to  log into my account in order to post something.  I have to go on my computer to do that.  I  say all this, to say that this tends to limit what I read when I do come here while on my phone. Just one of the many frustrations that vex me in my old age. Everything seems so much more complicated. 

Anyhoo, while catching up on things here,  this post by Mel caught my interest because like, Chevdove, although he isn't my contemporary, I am intrigued by Jay Z's persona, his way with words, his  back story and his phenomenal success. and I am a fan of his! ( Not surprising, I disagree with  Pioneer who says JayZ is ugly.  Like everything else about him, I think Jay's looks are unique.) 

I also got a charge out of other posters on this thread thwarting  nels' feeble attempts to diminish JayZ.  For somebody who often asks others if they know  how  they sound when they make observations that don't register with him, nels obviously doesn't know how he, himself, sounds much of the time. How? Like someone who isn't even an effective troll.  

Until next time... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ugly and Unique don't necessarily contradict eachother.

You can be uniquely beautiful or uniquely ugly.

There are some people who say "no one is ugly".
Kind of like those who say "no one is stupid or dumb".

It SOUNDS like a nice thing to say, but you don't see THEM dating, kissing on, or hanging out with the same people they're defending, lol.

Just like there are certain mental characteristics that seem to be universal signs of intelligence regardless of one's culture, the same goes for beauty.
Some features are recognized by people of all races and cultures as being beautiful such as big eyes on women, muscles on men, etc...
This can't be denied.

I don't think JayZ is "ugly" under any circumstances.  My eye beholds him as an average looking black guy who is clean shaven and has all his teeth. His impressive resume enhances his aura and makes him attractive. 

Big eyes are not beauty markers on women, nor muscles  handsome ones on men.  It's all about the facial "golden triangle", and body proportions .  

• Like 2

Sure, there are physically unattractive people, but Jay-Z is not one of them.  Who wrote that?  The handful I encountered were seemingly the unfortunate victims of serious accidents. 

On 10/29/2023 at 8:53 AM, Pioneer1 said:

Some features are recognized by people of all races and cultures as being beautiful such as big eyes on women, muscles on men, etc...
This can't be denied.

While I think there are culturally defined standards of beauty.  I don't think they are features that are universally accepted across cultures or even static within a culture.  Within the Black community light skinned guys with wavy hair were in style, not so much.  Slim women were in vogue now "thick" ladies are all the rage.  I find large eye attractive on a woman 😍, but usually only see this characteristic on Indian (Asian) women. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but influenced by culture. 

23 hours ago, Troy said:

Sure, there are physically unattractive people...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but influenced by culture. 

Facts.  The Supreme Being has an amazing sense of humor, style and flavor.  Especially that mosaic consisting of 8 billion people.😁😎

Yeah, yeah, yeah...........

Everybody's beautiful.
Everybody's smart.
Everybody's a child of heaven.

..........until you get ANGRY with them.
Then the TRUTH of how you really feel about them comes out.....

🤬 -You UGLY ASS so-n-so.
🤬 -You DUMB ASS muthaf---

Lol......

But that's part of being an adult I guess.
Keeping the peace by keeping much of your TRUE thoughts to yourself so as to not offend other unnecessarily.

On 11/1/2023 at 11:17 PM, Troy said:

Ok @Pioneer1, that camel-faced nigga is an ugly mofo. Happy?

Looks are relative and subjective in my book the guy is not ugly… he is on par with Idris Elba.

Well, I'm not much of a judge on men's looks or level of attractiveness......however I seriously doubt most women would equate Jay-Z's looks to Idris Elba's.....LOL.

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Well, I'm not much of a judge on men's looks or level of attractiveness.....

sure you are, this is just what you’ve been doing with regard to Jay-Z.

Now I’m no judge of what women think of men looks, and I won’t make believe that I am. But, in my book Hova is on par with Idris Elba. if I had to pick a son-in-law, I would pick Jay-Z every day of the week 😉

No, I wouldn't @Pioneer1.  He IMHO has distorted, perhaps permanently, his natural beauty. I also believe beauty comes from within.

Haven't you ever met a sista that once you got to know her appears far more attractive, than when assessed based solely upon her looks?  Similar really attractive people can become very "ugly," repulsive even, based upon their behavior.

I don't know Jay-Z but what little I know of him, oputs him on par with Idris ... now that Little Wayne is a 'hole 'nother story 😮

• Haha 1

Lil Wayne must see himself as a canvas  and he's never met a tattoo artist he didn't like.

There's no good explanation for tattooing a whole face. I don't care how it looks in the before pictures. 

People don't realize how unsightly those tattoos will be if/when they make it to old age.😎

I haven't met Lil Wayne, but I've met a couple of people who know him personally and they say he's VERY smart.
Not just street smart but smart academically.

One person told me that when he was in college he could go to sleep in class and wake up in the middle of the lecture and answer any of the instructors questions.
They said he got good grades....but found school boring.

Whatever Lil Wayne's reasoning for disfiguring himself like that......it seems to be a trend that has been catching on through out the Black youth in the U.S.

During this past 5 years I've seen more and more young Black folks with facial tattoos.
Something I thought our people just wouldn't do.

Maybe that was Lil Wayne's purpose....
Maybe he was one of several artists who are being paid to encourage Black youth to disfigure themselves with tattoos.

Then you got young Brown people through out Latin America....especially gang members...getting tattoos on their faces and even on their eyeballs.

14 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Lil Wayne...he's VERY smart.
Not just street smart but smart academically.

Yep. I've heard the same thing about from people who know him too.

It shows in his prolific body of work musically. He also wrote for other artists too.

14 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

During this past 5 years I've seen more and more young Black folks with facial tattoos.
Something I thought our people just wouldn't do.

I think former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson's facial tattoo started a trend especially among Hip-Hop folks.

ProdD

Most of these rappers and other entertainers are smart.
They have to have a certain amount of intelligence to be able to remember their lyrics while rapping on stage in concerts or acting.

Same with most world class athletes.
Most of them are smart and can remember their plays, think fast to deliver their moves, etc....

I remember listening to Michael Jordan during his interviews and how remarkably articulate and intelligent he sounded when talking.

Look at 50Cent and how he's trying to build his own little empire.

No matter how stupid and goonish these brothers may PRETEND to be in their performance, most of them are geniuses (genii???)  in their field.

On 10/28/2023 at 8:52 PM, Cynique said:

Anyhoo, while catching up on things here,  this post by Mel caught my interest because like, Chevdove, although he isn't my contemporary, I am intrigued by Jay Z's persona, his way with words, his  back story and his phenomenal success. and I am a fan of his! ( Not surprising, I disagree with  Pioneer who says JayZ is ugly.  Like everything else about him, I think Jay's looks are unique.) 

My thoughts exactly.

On 10/31/2023 at 7:36 PM, Pioneer1 said:

........until you get ANGRY with them.
Then the TRUTH of how you really feel about them comes out.....

🤬 -You UGLY ASS so-n-so.
🤬 -You DUMB ASS muthaf---

No way. 

You one sided imo.

It doesn't matter if a person is 'universally' considered gorgeous, if and when a significant other gets mad, that gorgeous person will become ugly and told so in many ways! 

On 11/8/2023 at 8:10 PM, Chevdove said:

It doesn't matter if a person is 'universally' considered gorgeous, if and when a significant other gets mad, that gorgeous person will become ugly and told so in many ways! 

Maybe with women, not with men.

If a woman is PHYSICALLY beautiful in the eyes of a man.......she will REMAIN that way unless her looks are changed in some way.
A man may loose his ATTRACTION to her and may even indeed come to HATE her, however he won't deny her beauty even in the realest talk.

It'll just be a "but" behind it......lol.

image.png.58921cb0802ffc5852219e55b5b042b8.png
"Yeah man she fine...BUT....that girl crazy as hell.
Had to leave her alone"

On 11/5/2023 at 8:13 AM, Pioneer1 said:

they say he's VERY smart.

There are different intelligences and they don't always transfer...

On 11/8/2023 at 8:10 PM, Chevdove said:

that gorgeous person will become ugly

For real!

9 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

If a woman is PHYSICALLY beautiful in the eyes of a man.......she will REMAIN that way...

Not for me, a foul woman will lose all her sex appeal.  A smart, nice, kind, funny woman will become more attractive in my eyes.  I think this is true for any mature adult. 

Keep in mind, we ALL eventually decline physically, but the personality traits can improve over time and usually for life.

• Like 1

Troy

Not for me, a foul woman will lose all her sex appeal.  A smart, nice, kind, funny woman will become more attractive in my eyes.  I think this is true for any mature adult. 

You didn't read what I said up there carefully.

I said they will remain BEAUTIFUL, not necessarily ATTRACTIVE.

There's a difference. 
You're not attracted to every beautiful woman.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

No....lol.

Beauty and Attraction are two different words with two different meanings.

True.

Hence the saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Some folks see beauty in the strangest forms and things. 

I've seen folks attracted to people who could best be described as a booger-wolf.🤣😎