The poster formerly known as Cynique

This is Cynique. As previously announced, my new user name is "aka Contrarian" so "A"  is now me.

I don't know why I'm still alive. But I am. Since I have nothing better to do, unless I sudndenly croak, I'll be hanging around here,  injecting my contrary opinions from time to time.  zzzzz

• Like 4

@aka Contrarian, always glad to read whenever you decide to pop back in to chop it up with us.🙂

I'm still sitting in this proverbial easy chair here serving up source material ripe for your contrarianism.😁

On the technical side, I'm wondering if it's possible to restore access to your Cynique profile and merge it with this new one. just a thought.🤔

Nonetheless, this place isn't the same without your input. I look forward to reading it as time permits.🤗😎

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, aka Contrarian said:

I don't know why I'm still alive. But I am. Since I have nothing better to do, unless I sudndenly croak, I'll be hanging around here,  injecting my contrary opinions from time to time.  zzzzz

Lol...what do you mean "you don't know" why you're still alive; what kind of question is that?

Do ANY of us  REALLY know why we're still alive or why we were even born to begin with?

How's your PHYSICAL health?
I know you don't feel the way you did at 20 but are you in any type of pain or suffering that makes you wonder why you keep living?

I forgot how old you were BTW....

ProfD

Cynique and a few others I know are doing good to post on the internet and have conversations when they're over 80 years of age, however you know who REALLY impresses me is Neely Fuller Jr. !

That brutha-elder has to be in his mid-90s and his mind is STILL sharp as an arrow!
But I haven't seen pictures or videos of him recently so it makes me wonder about his physical health and if he's able to walk and carry on his day to day functions.

I often wonder what life would be like for me if I actually lived to be in my 90s WITH good health and a good mind!
What would I do with my time???

......and will I still be able to have sex (or something close to it)?  🤣 🤣     🫤 -but seriously?

53 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

I often wonder what life would be like for me if I actually lived to be in my 90s WITH good health and a good mind!
What would I do with my time???

Exercise in futility. Live your best life right now with no regrets. Tomorrow isn't promised.

53 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

......and what I still be able to have sex (or something close to it)?  🤣 🤣     🫤 -but seriously?

Probably not.

Beyond 80 years old s8x won't be a priority.

Keeping up with medications and teeth and avoiding incontinence will be major challenges. 🤣

Even if you can still function finding a partner will be difficult unless you have money in your pocket. A trick will do something strange for some change.🤣😎

ProfD

Real talk.......
As I get older the more I've learned to appreciate and enjoy FEMININE ENERGY.

Just being around women who know how to ACT and TALK like women and carry themselves in a soft and feminine manner sooths me and makes me feel good and relaxed.
It doesn't even have to involve physical contact yet....lol.

If I make it to over 80, I'd probably be PAYING feminine women to just lay in the bed next to me and talk....lol.
Snuggle up next to me.

1.jpg?ip=x480

"Now.....I want my money's worth...ok???
Don't disappoint an old man!"

• Like 1

I don’t know anyone near 90 active on the Internet. So I always find “@aka Contrarian” (the poster formerly known as Cynique) to be remarkable.

If I can make it to 90 AND still be running the site that would be a prodigious feat.

I’m in my early 60s now and in my mind’s eye I cannot imagine myself an old man. I guess that is a relative perception, as someone in their early 20s may look at me and see if an old man.

Well I thank you all for creating a special place. I know it does not have the cache of social media, but it is ours.

• Like 2

It's funny that I was actually watching this video from this Nigerian dude and decided to check in on AALBC in the middle of it and happened to come across this thread.
He has a bit of a heavy accent but if you can make out what he's saying, he's smart and is dropping a lot of wisdom about how your family treats you as you age......

• Like 2

@ProfD&  Troy: I thought it would be great to live a long life and reach 90. But, suddenly, I'm not impressed over having achieved this goal. Others in this category thank the Lord and aspire to reach 100 and are eager to tell what they attribute their longevity to.  Me, I'm fighting boredom and depression. I really feel as though I've over stayed my time here and am trapped in a state of limbo I've lost interest in a lot of things and what others find interesting and exciting I find mundane. I spent a lot of time pondering about life after death and whether there is one. I've been told this all might be hormonal.

And, of course, I'm very pessimistic about the upcoming presidential election and the future of the USA. Hopefully you both will be able to handle old age better than me. I'm certainly not an inspiration. 

Oh well, you can't win 'em all. N c🙄

Hi  Chevdove and Mel. Glad to see you're still "holding down the fort."

• Like 2

@aka Contrarian i dunno what your day to day life is like, but i find you inspirational. i think it is your sharpness of mind, wit, and intellect. You probably can’t see it, but I bet others do.  I’m sure your husband did ☺️

I’m @ing @Mel Hopkins and @Chevdove so that they see your message. 

if you have Netflix check out This is Us. I think it is an interesting series. It won’t be boring. I’ve been watching it, almost exclusively, for a couple of months now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aka Contrarian said:

I thought it would be great to live a long life and reach 90. But, suddenly, I'm not impressed over having achieved this goal. 

As Dr. MLK Jr. said, "Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now."😁

I only want to live as long as I still have total control of my mental and physical abilities and still maintain my independence.😎

2 hours ago, Delano said:

I can relate. I am turning 60 and I'm bored with life. Although this is a Dragon Year an I'm a Dragon.

@Delano I got all wrapped up in existentialism, and once I started pondering about whether life has any meaning , the futility of it all kinda neutralized my spirit.  I even started wondering if, as Poe wrote, "all that we see or seem, is just a dream within a dream". 

33 minutes ago, Delano said:

Meaning is imputed. Life only has the meaning you ascribe to it.

That's what existentialism posits with its "existence" being followed by "essence" debate. Your assertion is challenge by some.

"I know that  I know nothing" is  starting to become my mantra.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2024 at 9:20 AM, Pioneer1 said:

That brutha-elder has to be in his mid-90s and his mind is STILL sharp as an arrow!
But I haven't seen pictures or videos of him recently so it makes me wonder about his physical health and if he's able to walk and carry on his day to day functions.

My auntie is 91 and is still sharped tongue and full of life as ever!

On 2/18/2024 at 12:16 PM, Troy said:

I don’t know anyone near 90 active on the Internet. So I always find “@aka Contrarian” (the poster formerly known as Cynique) to be remarkable.

She is absolutely remarkable. Whether Cynical or @aka Contrarian, for your input in today's world is rich. I wonder why others at your age don't see the need to do the same and I hope to live on ... and do the same. At my age, I have come to realize that some of my younger relatives are now needing my input! 

This comes as a surprise to me. 

• Thanks 1

Oh yes! He dropped a lot of wisdom. Some of what he said though, well I guess I am still young in my mind[!] and so, I am little indifferent to certain things that he said or maybe it's genderism. As a woman, I still care about how I look even at this age. I'm not as picky now though about my hair but, I still would like to have it styled nice. 

I'm over weight and desperately need to fight for better health, but, I still get a lot of attention from men, and I like that! LOL! 

His comments on when he dies really hits home though. I am absolutely NOT ready to share much right now, but I have just had to deal with the death of an older family member and I am deeply grieving. This person has really abused me in a terrible way and well, years back she apologized and I absolutely forgave. Since that time too, she continued to want to hear from me and so, I would contact her regularly to ease her mind but it was stressful every time. 

EVERYONE desperately wanted me to make an appearance and well, WHEW! I did. 

When I got there, I was treated like a superstar for coming. Everyone depended on me! It's as if they needed me to feel OKAY about how they felt about her. Forgiveness is divine. My sister pressed me and said, 'We Need You!" My other sister demanded that funds were given to get me there because she was really distraught and wanted my support. And I'm flat broke due to the very abusive conflict! But 'they' got me there with some help.

One of my sons refused to come and I am very protective of him because I know what he went through. And my other son came and to his surprise they put him on the program to speak! lol! i was told that both of my sons would fall behind in school 2 to 3 years due to the ordeal, but well, I got busy and tutored them and home schooled them. So that one son that showed up to the funeral was put on the program with his title. He has a Phd in Mechanical Engineering. But the money is not here yet. We are still struggling. 

I still believe that if young children are hurt and abused then that is not going to be a good outcome for anyone. 

People should be careful about hurting innocence. 

On 2/20/2024 at 10:26 PM, aka Contrarian said:

I thought it would be great to live a long life and reach 90. But, suddenly, I'm not impressed over having achieved this goal. Others in this category thank the Lord and aspire to reach 100 and are eager to tell what they attribute their longevity to.  Me, I'm fighting boredom and depression. I really feel as though I've over stayed my time here

@aka Contrarian WOW! Maybe you are not impressed because you need another focus. 90 is awesome imo but maybe it's relativity and for others, it's just a number. 

Even though I believe reaching 90 and 100 is a great accomplishment, I want to live forever! I have no intentions of ending. I want to rest though, but only to get energized again. I want to do too many things and have not even started some of my goals! That is why I cannot afford to stop or die. Rest yes. It's good to sleep and RIP but never end. 

No. Your mind is too strong and sharp and I can understand why would fight boredom and depression. I hope that you rest and get out of that! 

On 2/20/2024 at 11:33 PM, Troy said:

’m @ing @Mel Hopkins and @Chevdove so that they see your message. 

Thank you @Troy

On 2/20/2024 at 10:26 PM, aka Contrarian said:

Hi  Chevdove and Mel. Glad to see you're still "holding down the fort."

Thank you! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chevdove said:

@aka Contrarian

No. Your mind is too strong and sharp and I can understand why would fight boredom and depression. I hope that you rest and get out of that! 

Maybe she needs a MAN in her life!

Maybe you and I can work on fixing her up with somebody!

5 hours ago, Chevdove said:

I want to do too many things and have not even started some of my goals! That is why I cannot afford to stop or die.

My brotherly advice would be to start working on your goals immediately.

Tomorrow isn't promised to anyone. It's better to live life to the fullest now.

Get busy living today because dying is inevitable.😎

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 11:56 AM, aka Contrarian said:

existentialism, and once I started pondering about whether life has any meaning , the futility of it all kinda neutralized my spirit.

I arrived at a similar position. As a result of Astrology. Things are happening around me but I am just waiting for the next big thing of there is one .

As far as years go this has been themost interesting one in a while. It feels like a new beginning 

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2024 at 7:56 PM, aka Contrarian said:

I got all wrapped up in existentialism, and once I started pondering about whether life has any meaning , the futility of it all kinda neutralized my spirit.  I even started wondering if, as Poe wrote, "all that we see or seem, is just a dream within a dream". 

OMG I've missed you, the woman formerly known as Cynique @aka Contrarian 

A woman I used to be in a rap group with back in the early 90s now has a YouTube channel (Stephanie Danger). She asked her followers what name we would choose for our alter ego, and I decided on Contrarian. Today, I would choose "Neutral." 

During these last two years, I also questioned the meaning of life after my mother underwent major heart surgery and two of my three daughters had major surgeries, one after battling stage 3 cancer. I couldn't be with my daughter (thank goodness for dads) because my brother is severely disabled - and during my mom's treatment (I almost lost her twice), I had to care for him. 

Everyone pulled through, and by December 2023 - I concluded no one knows an effing thing. We make this bullshish up and look for followers to cosign our beliefs. The more believers we acquire, the more it becomes our collective reality.  

So, thank you, Contrarian, for remaining here in this dimension. I can confidently say that part of your mission is to remind us that the majority is nothing more than a bunch of weak-minded and lazy folks who chose to follow the beaten path instead of dazzling us with their Divine creativity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So true life only means whatever we say it means.

I had a conversation at work yesterday. The cleaner asked me how is it going . I said I don't know. I asked him the following question. How many people tell you things. When they think they know but you know that they don't know. He said all of them. I said well I know that I have no idea.

I am bored , I am finding it difficult to find people who think 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am finding it difficult to find people who think 

What if, "thinking is overrated?"  What if we're realizing it is feeling, imagining, and creating vibrations that makes the difference in this world.

And if that were the case what would life be like if that was our operating system?  

Note:  I don't have a clue.  I don't know if that is an answer, but I am working on "feeling" deeply to change my part of the world. 

So true life only means whatever we say it means.

YES!!!  How many of us are bold enough to stake a claim! Even if no one else agrees. 

I waffle from time to time, but once upon a time I took my meaning of life's claim from a song. Today, I still believe it. "LOVE is life and life is living."  But in this moment, I'm only beginning to understand LOVE as THE operating system.

5 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

During these last two years, I also questioned the meaning of life after my mother underwent major heart surgery and two of my three daughters had major surgeries, one after battling stage 3 cancer. I couldn't be with my daughter (thank goodness for dads) because my brother is severely disabled - and during my mom's treatment (I almost lost her twice), I had to care for him. Divine creativity.

I don't know whether to feel sorry for you or applaud your efforts!
Probably both.

Being a caregiver is one of the hardest jobs.
Harder than raising children.
.... because atleast with children you usually see progress as they age and it makes you feel proud of your work.

I honestly don't know what to say besides thank you. 👏

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

Being a caregiver is one of the hardest jobs.
Harder than raising children.
.... because atleast with children you usually see progress as they age and it makes you feel proud of your work.

If I ever needed a definition of what it looks like to Love another - this is the best definition, "Caring for someone without expecting a return on the investment" 😪

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Mel Hopkins said:

If I ever needed a definition of what it looks like to Love another - this is the best definition, "Caring for someone without expecting a return on the investment" 😪

That is the very definition of unconditional love.

The world would be a much better place if adult human beings practiced unconditional love on a regular basis.😎

Gee, I missed some of this conversation. Parts of it are new to me and must've occurred when I was trying to get my bearings after my e-mail was hacked and my computer broke down, and I was reinstating my account here.

@Mel HopkinsI had no idea what you were going through during that time! My dear brave girl, how impressed but not surprised I am by the way you rose to the occasion and displayed your true grit in coping with the crises that tested and gave meaning to why you are here!  "Life is the question, love is the answer." 🫶   You go, Girl! 👍

I feel inadequate because my journey has not veered off into paths that called for me to be courageous as I trudge along, knowing that I know not. But being old does present challenges and - I.Am.Still.Here.

11 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

What if we're realizing it is feeling, imagining, and creating vibrations that makes the difference in this world.

I feel my imagination\intuition is good. One of the things I try to do is be really present and real with people. However I have come to understand that I need a fair amount of stimulation. Whether it be physical, or mental. I just have to dig deeper.

I have a fairly challenging couple of years so I want to switch from feeling to thinking

LOVE is life and life is living."

That was the slow Jam. I had to look up the lyric. There's another one that is very apt for me. "A change in life can bring good things."

But in this moment, I'm only beginning to understand LOVE as THE operating system.

I used to think knowledge was the most important thing in life. A few years back it changed to understanding. Now I think it may be community.

What if, "thinking is overrated?"

It is overrated and I have been told that I think too much. And live in my head too much. However I wouldn't change any of the past. Since the thinking and feeling brought me to this place.

@Mel&Del

I've been thinking about the idea of thinking being overrated.  What else can you do with your mind? I'm thinking about it... Listening to music is a good alternative. Music really is magic. It requires you to do nothing but listen, and if you enjoy what you hear, that's icing on the cake!

Lately, for some reason I've been thinking how 73 years ago in1951, as a Freshman at the University of Illinois, one of the favorite songs of the little black colony of students on this large campus was a song named "For All We Know." At the end of every social event, those gathered would form a circle, grasp hands, and sing this song followed by a chorus of "Auld Lang Syne".  Listening to that old favorite by Nat Cole, the years fall away and I'm swept back to the innocent carefree days of my youth. I imagine. And listen.  And no thoughts are necessary.  For all we know...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, aka Contrarian said:

But being old does present challenges and - I.Am.Still.Here.

I need an update on how that knee is coming along especially with the meds and fermented fruit juice cocktail.😁😎

• Haha 1

@richardmurray Thank you for posting that music video of "For All We Know." It was lovely! 😘 

@ProfDmy knee is doing much better, thank you. But I don't think I'll  trust myself to ever again walk any distance without a cane. Farewell to my independence.   >sigh<.

btw, the Chicago sports community  has been in an extended uproar since BEARS gm Poles traded QB Justin Fields to the Pittsburg Steelers, and everyone is anxiously awaiting NFL draft day this month. Fandom is split between those heartbroken and disappointed over Fields being let go and consideration not given to how weak his defensive line was when rating him, and those who thought he just was not up to speed. Sports radio and online fan sites are blowin' up, off the chain, rabid Bear geeks  almost coming to blows, divided right down the middle between Team Fields and Team (Caleb) Williams the #1 draft pick QB who da BEARS will probably select to replce Fields. The city has never seen such intensity and passion about a sports dilemma! I liked Fields (he's cute) but he did always seem to be running for his life, unable to read the defense and pass the ball.  These sports jocks are really into the situation. I never realized how big a role sports play in the lives of certain men until I accidentally ended up on one of the FaceBook hang outs of Bear fans.   Whew! And, alas, the Great White Hope aka as 3-pointer phenom Caitlin Clark was unable to lead her Iowa team to victory against South Carolina in the Woman's NCAA basketball finals. Time for Taylor Swift to step back up and represent for white gurls.

@Everbody: well, tomorrow's the big event. The solar eclipse will occur and Judgment Day might accompany it if we are to believe certain conspiracy theorists. If Humanity survives, what we can next look forward to in my area will be the imminent awakening of the cicadas who've been sleeping underground for the past 17 years and are now ready to emerge and swarm around for a couple of weeks, buzzing and bugging people like the locusts in the Bible. Egads! Trump, Ukraine, Immigrants, Israel & Palestine, AI, and around Chicagoland, a daily toll of Blacks wantonly car-jacking, robbing, shooting and killing each other! Watta world. Anyway, Folks, it's  been fun hangin out with ya! I'm just stretched out here on my recliner, and it's so easy to pull out my phone and start keying. Anyhoo, see ya Tuesday. 👋 If not, oh well...💥💫

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aka Contrarian said:

@ProfDmy knee is doing much better, thank you. But I don't think I'll  trust myself to ever again walk any distance without a cane. Farewell to my independence.   >sigh<.

Great news and wishing you continued healing.

I'm sure you already know that a cane can be a cool accessory. Especially when the cane complements the outfit and keeps you standing upright.😁

btw, the Chicago sports community  has been in an extended uproar since BEARS gm Poles traded QB Justin Fields to the Pittsburg Steelers....

Unselfish fans will realize da Bears did Justin a huge favor especially if they weren't going to build an offense around him.

Whew! And, alas, the Great White Hope aka as 3-pointer phenom Caitlin Clark was unable to lead her Iowa team to victory against South Carolina in the Woman's NCAA basketball finals.

I was rooting for Head Coach Dawn Staley and the lady Gsmecocks to win it all. They completed an undefeated season.👏🏿

Of course, Caitlin Clark will end up making more money than any other female playing basketball. I hope not.

The solar eclipse will occur and Judgment Day might accompany it if we are to believe certain conspiracy theorists.

I'm betting the solar eclipse will come and go like Y2K.😁

If Humanity   been fun hangin out with ya! I'm just stretched out here on my recliner, and it's so easy to pull out my phone and start keying. Anyhoo, see ya Tuesday. 

We'll be here when you come back on Tuesday.😁😎

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 11:39 AM, ProfD said:

My brotherly advice would be to start working on your goals immediately.

Tomorrow isn't promised to anyone. It's better to live life to the fullest now.

Get busy living today because dying is inevitable.😎

Yep. I am procrastinating! Right now, I am lacking confidence in starting some of my goals and I am trying to get the confidence. 

But again though, I believe that life goes on in another dimension so, I also believe like the artist Desiree sings, I am 'living for tomorrow not today'.

I don't really care about getting older because I still feel young in spirit. 

I don't like the aches and pains of being older but strive to be healthier. I love to dance and always imagine myself on some dance floor...