Sign in to follow this  
Maurice

What are you reading now ?

About a quarter way through Travellng Soul, a biography on Curtis Mayfield by Todd Mayfield. Dipping into Jimmys Blues, a small volume of Baldwins poetry. A lovely gift from my daughter.

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Evil Never Sleeps: Tales of Light and Darkness by Robert FlemingI'm reading a few books but am primarily focused on Evil Never Sleeps: Tales of Light and Darkness, by Robert Fleming. 

Robert is one of America’s most accomplished writers.  He has written poetry, novels, nonfiction articles, and has reviewed over 60 books for AALBC.  His work spans over 40 years.  

It seems to me that writers like Robert should be better known, but he is just your run of the mill late-middle-aged Black man {yawn}.  He’s not Caribbean or African, he’s not LGBT, he does not have a white parent, he can’t rap or dunk a basketball, he wasn’t gang banger or previously incarcerated. 

He is the kind of writer that I always complain about being ignored by the mainstream media. Robert's accomplishments will never go viral on twitter despite his significant contributions to our literature.

Go Tell it on the Mountain by James Baldwin 

Fledgling by Octavia Butler 

Go Tell it on the Mountain by James Baldwin 

Fledgling by Octavia Butler 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just added Todd's book about his father to the website. Mayfield is actually one of my favorite artists.  I always discover interesting books on "What Are You Reading?" threads.  Hopefully more folks will chime in.

Curtis Mayfield Biography

• Thanks 1

Great news,Troy. I put Curtis right up there with Otis and James Browm. A marvellous writer with so many songs with a message.

And it would be great to see others chip in 😀

Curtis Mayfield said the movie Superfly didn't glorify drug dealers, it was a story about redemption. 

His sound track was I have to watch the movie again to see how he justifies that statement.

About to start this. Looking forward to it.

image.jpeg

13 hours ago, Troy said:

His sound track was I have to watch the movie again to see how he justifies that statement.

I haven't watched the film itself in years but listen occasionally to the soundtrack. Usually pick out a Mayfield album at random. His debut and Roots are amazing.