Facebook Rejects the Book Algorithms Of Oppression

Algorithms of OpresionAlgorithms Of Oppression speaks to the exact problem Facebook is demonstrating by rejecting my ability to sell the book on their website.  The book's author, Safiya Umoja Noble, provides "a revealing look at how negative biases against women of color are embedded in search engine results and algorithms."

Algorithms Of Oppression came out in 2018 but I noticed this problem more than decade ago, as Google's search results displayed a clear bias toward the most negative aspects of Black women authors in their search results. 

It was not just Google, it was Wikipedia and Facebook as well.

Below is a screen shot of an email I got from Facebook after adding the book to my store (an automated process).  Facebook rejected the book saying.  "...it doesn't comply with our Policies." I guess the capital "P" is for emphasis...  

Of course a policy that would reject this book is absurd.  Facebook does give me the option to request a review of the case, but I sell so few books on Facebook it is not worth the effort.   

When I first started writing about this problem no one seemed to care, so I was really pleased to discover Noble's book on the subject.  I was also very surprised I had not heard about the book previously, given the fact that I troll the internet, on a daily basis, for books and I have a keen interest in and knowledge of the subject.  The failure to discover this book before now is not simply the publisher fault but a bias in with the hand full of companies who control the discoverability of things on the World Wide Web -- including this site

A friend, who knows my position on this subject, texted me information about the book, which she discovered because Safiya Umoja Noble was awarded a MacArthur "Genius" Grant recently.

Optression was Rejected

• Thanks 1

************************************************************************************

Why would they embrace a book that is critical of their industry?

FaKebook and all the rest of them are all about suppressing the

TRUTH!!!  

I guarantee if the author wrote a book praising them, it would be

accepted and promoted, too.

It would probably become a best-seller.

************************************************************************************

Why so many morons of today continue to use the corrupt Facebook, Instagram, Google, Twitter, YouTube and TikTok platforms and services and a broad range of other mind-programming freedom-oppressing organizations and interests, is well beyond the common sense and reason of people who actually have common sense and know how to apply it. These platforms are a metastasizing social cancer that consistently and aggressively contributes to the decay of the independent thinker, which eventually leads to mental rot. A wide swath of liberal black America has blind minds when it comes to stepping back and seeing who's really operating in their best interests.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mzuri said:

Why would they embrace a book that is critical of their industry?

Right. The equivalent of throwing rocks at the window hoping to get into a party without an invitation. 😁

Yet, it doesn't stop black folks from trying to force white folks to pay attention to and/or validate them. Pathetic. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Delano said:

Blacks role is defining the bottom.

Yep Black and indigenous people…I think we collectively hold  a little over 1 percent of this country’s wealth.  And they continue to write laws to remove of us from our land and chip away at what we do have.  

At least one family, in California, got their land back this week. The California governor returned Bruce’s Beach back to its rightful owner.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mel Hopkins said:

At least one family, in California, got their land back this week. The California governor returned Bruce’s Beach back to its rightful owner.  

It was wonderful to see the descendants get their

land back, especially after it appreciated to $75M

It would have been even better if the government

hadn't taken the land away from its rightful owners

in the first place.

I can't imagine how it felt when the govt came in

and declared eminent domain over the property

that Black family paid for. What horrible mental 

anguish that must have been for them.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/30/1041837156/bruces-beach-manhattan-newsom-los-angeles

image.gif.e748b9997572db40bf72893da90b115e.gif

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mzuri said:

It would have been even better if the government

hadn't taken the land away from its rightful owners

in the first place.

@MzuriI Know Right!  This case put the spotlight on many other eminent domain landgrabs from Black Americans. The local media here in GA even resurfaced how ( haunted )Lake Lanier was actually a community (Oscarville, GA) of Black Americans run out of their homes.  The land was flooded, cemetery, fences  many remnants of the what the town looked liked remains but underwater.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ProfD said:

Right. The equivalent of throwing rocks at the window hoping to get into a party without an invitation. 😁

Yet, it doesn't stop black folks from trying to force white folks to pay attention to and/or validate them. Pathetic. 😎

Exactly!!!

Black folks strive for white validation because that is how money is made.  We refuse to create the platforms to self validate and generate our own wealth because the white man's ice is always colder...

When you live in a culture that relentlessly denigrates and marginalizes Black people, while constantly elevating white people and their institutions, it is completely understandable why Black people reject themselves -- we've been brain washed. 

Even White folks will value our institutions if we value them -- why should they otherwise?

I go on FaceBook regularly.  Why? Because it is a social venue.  For instance: it allows me to keep up with my cousins all around the country,  On there,  I also find out about the deaths of people in my hometown and am apprised of their funeral arrangements, while the obituaries "celebrating their lives" are subsequently posted by their families.  I have the choice of looking at or scrolling past the plethora of photos posted by my living friends "leading their best lives", and some are even worth looking at.  I belong to my high school's alumni association, a group that is facilitated by FB and,  like a bulletin board, FB keeps me up to date on local civic events. i also enjoy its funny memes and appreciate the many special interests groups it sponsors, 2 of  which have united me with like-minded people curious about Pantheism, and Quantum Physics, a subject I am fascinated with. I no longer engage right wing Retrumpicans on forums because, as much as i like to argue, that eventually got repetitive and futile so I took my opinions and moved on, denying FB the chance to do its algorithm thing

My point is, is that there's more to life than politics and racism. There's community and congeniality, things that provide an escape from the stress and tumult of the real world. For a lot of folks, that's the obvious appeal of FaceBook. It is what it is. You don't have to be an air head to go on there! You just have to keep things in perspective. This is a Capitalistic country.  Money and power prevail.  If you ain't got it, tough shit. Do the best you can.

• Like 1

FB allows me to communicate with people around the world for Free. Sometimes I find a post that is interesting. It has put me in contact with many Astrologers. A few of whom I would not have otherwise met. In addition some of the Astrology post are so annoying that motivate me to learn something. It also has been a good place for me to test astrological techniques. I have on a few occasion learned something I hadn't known about or had a a good exchange. It's just like a cafeteria if you don't excercise restraint you will wind up feeling ill. Every situation is an exchange, as long as the currency and rate of exchange are valuable I will interact. 

@Cynique the new Physics sound like the old mystics. The experimenter isn't just an observer, they are a participant in creating the outcome.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Delano said:

@Cynique the new Physics sound like the old mystics. The experimenter isn't just an observer, they are a participant in creating the outcome.

Yes!  This is why it is so intriguing.  The idea that what's unobserved does not exist and that consciousness visualized the universe into existence.

I used to read about mathematics and how it has been used over time. In my quest for understanding. Same with science and scientists. I also read a fair amount about the esoteric.  It is only in the last decade, that I am getting close to the answers I have been seeking. I was using the wrong tools. If you look at Einstein, Newton Feynman, Pythagoras, Plato, Socrates, Malcolm X  et al. There is a similarity they all had a laser focus and could see an articulate what other could not. They each used the tool that was best suited to their personality to find truths. The old adage is true the answers are inside of you, you just have to use the correct key. It probably helps to be an independent thinker.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Delano said:

ty to find

22 hours ago, Delano said:

I used to read about mathematics and how it has been used over time. In my quest for understanding. Same with science and scientists. I also read a fair amount about the esoteric.  It is only in the last decade, that I am getting close to the answers I have been seeking. I was using the wrong tools. If you look at Einstein, Newton Feynman, Pythagoras, Plato, Socrates, Malcolm X  et al. There is a similarity they all had a laser focus and could see an articulate what other could not. They each used the tool that was best suited to their personality to find truths. The old adage is true the answers are inside of you, you just have to use the correct key. It probably helps to be an independent thinker.

This is true.  It's about developing your self expression. Once you can express your questions you sometimes realize that the answer is in the question. I do believe that answers are all there just waiting to be observed and integrated into knowledge.  😲

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cynique said:

Once you can express your questions you sometimes realize that the answer is in the question.

My Astrology teacher used to say this often

I do believe that answers are all there just waiting to be observed and integrated into knowledge

Science is from the Latin Scio, to know. However I believe that all advances whether it be in Science Art and everything in between arises from inspiration. Inspiration literally means to breath in Spirit. Words or rather language is the key to thinking. There are different types of symbol sets: Letters; Pictographs; Glyphs; Hieroglyphics. Which range from being representation of physical objects, representation of ideas, or just markers that are arrange to convey meaning.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 6:03 PM, Delano said:

There is a similarity they all had a laser focus and could see an articulate what other could not. They each used the tool that was best suited to their personality to find truths.

Ok - I didn’t expect this thread to go from algorithms to consciousness!  - Excellent!

I’m glad I read from the bottom up because  I was going to write that I agree the answers are within - but first you must solve the first puzzle.  #KnowThySelf.

And look at your conclusion!! 👊

it’s impossible to know anything before you’ve solved your own equation - “know thy self” The avatars throughout the ages have advised this to all of their followers.  I suspect it is  the reason  Feymann once said, “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool.”

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cynique said:

croll down and check out Del's post Time Markers or experiments with time. and see if you get what he is saying to  explain to me. 

It appears @Del has developed a language of time as it relates to astrology.  But in this case, he’s giving us insight (data) on how he communicates information about the  movement of the “stars” as it  relates to the subject.

I feel this language  is necessary because it is difficult to determine who’s moving - beings, the stars, or the earth.  

Although scientifically space-time is a measurement to help us take into consideration the unknown perceiver’s view - 

it doesn’t convey its emotional effects or help us to communicate effectively.  You mentioned misinformation in another thread - but what if we could diagram it from an individual’s perspective? Then we might see the information differently. Seeing it wasn’t misinformation - but perspective. 

So It seems Del’s Time Markers can share insight with the subject from varying perspectives.  - at any point based on the stars - even before the subject was born here (present).

.This language tool can be handy - if you believe we are all energy that materializes in any form - during any point in time.

The time markers - can allow us to “see” the incarnate’s feeling at a point in time .. Not necessarily what or who we were…

And we can learn  what emotions we are carrying  in this life - whether they are useful to us or impeding our Journey. 

ASIDE: As I was answering,  the film “Lucy” came to

mind - “She used “Time Markers” to accomplish her goal - not sure if that adds to this explanation - but it popped up as reference to let me know I was assembling that picture to communicate. 

NOTE: This information may have nothing to do with Del’s Time Markers - it’s just the feeling I got when I read his words 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mel Hopkins said:

As I was answering,  the film “Lucy” came to

mind - “She used “Time Markers” to accomplish her goal - not sure if that adds to this explanation - but it popped up as reference to let me know I was assembling that picture to communicate. 

I had forgotten that I had seen this movie until I watched the last 5 minutes. Luc Besson has made some of my favorite films 

@Del&@Mel Hopkins So is this like... living in the moment and  - becoming the moment, the moment being a set time determined by a marker of one's choice??? Was "Lucy" the movie about a female android in heat?  😍 

Yes I would have said it in reverse. You can choose the experience you want to feel: acceptance; understanding; focus; relaxation; calm; easy commute. Then I give you the time.

The time is chosen based on a timeframe you select. And most can't be given to other people, and that time is chosen based on your date of birth. However there are two instances where that a non birth time marker can be given

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 7:21 PM, Delano said:

This hadn't occurred to me.

Is this doable? From your insight, it feels as if you can use your Time Markers language to do this..Sort of like when hypnotist take a subject down several levels of consciousness and the subject speaks in a foreign language.   .  

On 10/9/2021 at 12:55 PM, Cynique said:

Was "Lucy" the movie about a female android in heat

Kind of lol... she became so intelligent that she stop being what we defines as "Human" - It's a fun movie!

50 minutes ago, Mel Hopkins said:

Is this doable? From your insight, it feels as if you can use your Time Markers language to do this..Sort of like when hypnotist take a subject down several levels of consciousness and the subject speaks in a foreign language.   .  

Could be but I am not game to try it. There may be a reason we can't remember past lives, similar to us burying traumatic events. None of the participants had a negative experience with time markers. I had a mildly unpleasant one with a slightly difficult one, very early on, so I am cautious. I had one friend also use the time marker on the next day, the effect was slightly different due to the moon being in a different position. So now I stress the important of following the instructions to the letter. 

4 minutes ago, Delano said:

I had a mildly unpleasant one with a slightly difficult one, very early on, so I am cautious.

What happened?  Do share please! It will allow us to have a deeper understanding.  I'm glad Cynique mentioned it - I was avoiding the thread because it takes an emotional toll  🤕 on me to engage with the esoteric, especially anything metaphysical.  Now I look forward to reading about your process.  

• Like 1

@Mel Hopkins I created about 130+  Time Markers but I didn't know what they meant. Some techniques I create, and over time I learn how to apply them. 

The first time I used it, I had an idea of what it might mean based on the symbols. The time marker I got from the time on a vacation photograph. So  I looked through a fe hundred transits and in the matter of minutes I found a few matching time markers. Then I looked briefly at the charts and chose the one that felt like the right one. I was able to tell the person what they had for lunch, based on the time marker. I was correct in addition it was a food item only eaten while vacationing at the spot in the photo.

I figured if I have to wait for someone to ask it is probably going to take me years to  assign meaning to all the time markers. So even though I don't have meanings for them all. I assign a meaning as needed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Delano said:

I figured if I have to wait for someone to ask it is probably going to take me years to  assign meaning to all the time markers. So even though I don't have meanings for them all. I assign a meaning as needed.

This approach makes sense - this way you can check accuracy at the same time.  Do you keep a digital or paper ledger?  I work on information modeling projects like this but I write on scraps of paper -and then in books then I forget why I was doing it - until I need it again lol.  Thank you for sharing the process. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 12:00 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Weren't you banned on facebook a year ago, or was it twitter?

You were accused of trying to put Black folks in cages or something of that nature, lol.

That was Facebook. It wasn’t permanent. Naw it was your Belgium kin in Africa that put them Black Kids in Cages. I think that’s where the leftist got the idea 💡 

85305159-0559-4F97-9250-304E18EC658E.thumb.png.c83c9909c3477639e4e7d0d6b52993a3.png

This was the photo.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:43 PM, Mel Hopkins said:

Ok - I didn’t expect this thread to go from algorithms to consciousness!  - Excellent!

It is called hacking a post 😉 

It would be better in a separate thread and would be more easily discoverable by others interested in the subject.

On 10/10/2021 at 8:49 AM, daniellegfny said:

I am on a 30 ban from posting on Facebook

Thanks for posting something related to the post. 🙂 yeah Facebook is heavy handed unless you pay them, then they will pretty much let you say anything to other people…

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Troy said:

Thanks for posting something related to the post. 🙂 yeah Facebook is heavy handed unless you pay them, then they will pretty much let you say anything to other people…

I wish I have spent over 3000 dollars on advertising. The fact is that they let you know they were no respecter of person or finance by banning Trump. Shutting down Parler demonstrated there is nowhere safe on the net. It is no longer free.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:06 PM, Mel Hopkins said:

What happened?  Do share please! It will allow us to have a deeper understanding.

It was minor. I am pretty well coordinated. Ususally when I hang my clothes out to dry if they fall off the line most of the time I catch them before the hit they ground. I hve good hand eye coordination and reaction time. On this particular instance I dropped my pegs about 5 times. And I felt a bit off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Delano said:

I seem to have a special relationship with time, symbols and numbers.

@Deli just wish i could wrap my brain around what you are saying about time markers because it sounds so much more intriguing than all of the BS going on in the prosaic world.  Check this out: I seem to have some kind of connection with my computer,  I think it sometimes censors or monitors me like when i impulsively key malicious or angry things,  they disappear from the screen. It's like I generate waves that are picked up by an entity that gains access to me  through the computer.  (I've always felt that i  have a spiritual guide or alter ego that keeps me in check.) Usually what disappeared, later proved to have been a good thing because what i keyed was better left unsaid and could have had undesireable repercussions.  Some of these phenomenon are difficult to explain.  I currently feel I am shifting back and forth between parallel universes  as in the case when  i type a phrase within a sentence; when i proof what i have typed, the phrase appears twice as if I keyed it in 2 different universes. Does that make sense??? LOL               

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cynique said:

@Deli just wish i could wrap my brain around what you are saying about time markers because it sounds so much more intriguing than all of the BS going on in the prosaic world.  Check this out: I seem to have some kind of connection with my computer,  I think it sometimes censors or monitors me like when i impulsively key malicious or angry things,  they disappear from the screen. It's like I generate waves that are picked up by an entity that gains access to me  through the computer.  (I've always felt that i  have a spiritual guide or alter ego that keeps me in check.) Usually what disappeared, later proved to have been a good thing because what i keyed was better left unsaid and could have had undesireable repercussions.  Some of these phenomenon are difficult to explain.  I currently feel I am shifting back and forth between parallel universes  as in the case when  i type a phrase within a sentence; when i proof what i have typed, the phrase appears twice as if I keyed it in 2 different universes. Does that make sense??? LOL               

Yes I've had a similar experience. My phone dials which is strange because I have to enter a code to unlock it. Once I was visiting a Female friend and my phone typed that she was a ho. Sometime later she made a nonverbal suggestion that we could be lovers. She knew I was seeing someone.

Time markers are like a dictionary. Except the definitions describe Time. When you are ready you should try one. You don't have to meditate, you only need to acknowledge the specified time.